Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FrantzX posted:

Is it possible for this thread to be just about the Dresden Files and not urban fantasy in general? Obviously people want to discuss other books in the genre, but it's not as if a new thread cannot be created. It would be nice if I didn't have to skip pass pages of discussion in order to read others' reaction to Skin Game when it comes out next week.
Threads are more interesting (and less monotonous) when they branch out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I'd put the Ravirn books in the light and easy past-times between bigger series along with Iron Druid.

Theyre entertaining, even if they are light/campy (sometimes comic book-style).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

MadDogMike posted:

I think he's demonstrated he is plenty dangerous in the series given he's managed some very permanent harms to Dresden and company, and he shows a gift for getting at least partial victory from the jaws of defeat.
Yeah. Hes supposed to be intelligent, know a lot of things he normally shouldnt be able to know, and have perspective for the long haul. Hes not a brawler so people judging him on "how strong is he in a boxing match" are using the wrong metric.

Even with Harry finally doing some serious strategic pre-planning things still almost went bad for everyone.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Tunicate posted:

They feed on speculation.

How inscrutable...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm really curious about what reactions Dreasden will get from the Council about his apparent return from the dead and his status as Knight of the Winter Court.
The usual half-awe/worship and half "burn the witch" I would guess..?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I am kind of guessing at some point something will happen and he'll be voted in to fill grand-dads shoes staff.

Then he'll be infected with one of the Vampire curses, become a Loup Garou, bind an Outsider to himself, recover Lash, and be the first wizard-vampire-angel-werewolf-faerie and single handedly defeat the forces Outside while the entire cast watches!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Russad posted:

I am in no way an expert on this subject, but wasn't it a nail per hand, and a single nail for both feet?
Yeah.

Mars4523 posted:

Speaking of likeable Wardens, I liked the five minutes we saw of Luccio when she was still a crusty old boss lady and I remain annoyed that Butcher just had to depower her and turn her into a hot coed because he needed to make her fuckable.
I think that removing the source of anti-magic swords was a necessary thing too.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

I dont think they have the same creepy rape vibe the white court does.

I think "creepy rape vibe" is a pretty good description (and presentation) of "magical seduction vampire" though. Like thats about as accurate a result as you could ask for considering the premise.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

MrNemo posted:

Also rape is a serious thing
Of course, and agreed.

These books also have people burned alive, melted with acid, and magically-mentally tortured to insanity. Its not like they dance around the various terrible acts that happen to people.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

she has an interesting role to play in this book except for her damsel in distress bit, and it's a kind of plot I think is long overdue - showing why the Wardens are so brutal enforcing the Laws
Also later on when she tries to fill Harrys shoes, it drives home the point that most wizards cant take the chances Harry does, because they lack his ability to just toast everyone and everything if the chance they decided to take on someone/something goes wrong. For most of them "kill the monster while you can" might be the only thing they feel safe doing, for better or for worse. (Which of course can help engender a police-state mentality... which in turn creates enemies of people ideologically opposed to that kind of behavior.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Vicissitude posted:

I thought Jim said he wasn't going to bring that into the main series, if even write about it at all.

http://dresdenfiles.wikia.com/wiki/Oblivion_War

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

I haven't read the dresden books in years, but how did he manage to bang a clone of a ghost of a demon that existed only in his mind, not to mention getting her pregnant? Or was this, like, a :airquote:mystical:airquote: spawning?
"Had a child with" does not mean "has sex with" in this case. They produced offspring that was created from the both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Up Circle posted:

Dresden often says Marcone is criminal scum bla bla bla, but Butcher often ends up making Marcone look like some kind of gangster with a heart of gold who only murdered all his competition in Chicago because of a tragic accident in his past and now he's expanding his role into a wacky supernatural mafia also because of his tragic past?

Khizan posted:

That soulgaze was in the first book. We're currently on the fifteenth book, and most of those intermediary books have him shown in the light of "gangster with a heart of gold", like a sort of modern-day Vlad Taltos.

So that explanation doesn't work for me. You can't just tell me how the character is once at the start, you have to actually show the character acting that way.
Intelligent sociopaths dont act like movie monsters. They strive to be likable and trustable. They want to achieve things.

Based on the world of the books, Dresdens soul-gaze is as close to an absolute truth as we will probably get.