Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Rivers of London is good and well-written. Audiobook version is also one of the better things I have listened to. If you enjoy Rivers of London, you may want to go for Alex Verus, too. I just finished the first one and enjoyed it.

Still pretty pissed that I can't get the new one until the end of January because I committed the terrible sins of being born in and subsequently living in North America.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ornamented Death posted:

Sure you can, so long as you don't mind a physical copy.

You can get a digital copy if you're willing to play around with the regional settings on your Kindle. Same (probably) goes for the audiobook.

I didn't want to buy a physical copy and I prefer to support an author I enjoy, so thank you for this.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tithin posted:

I personally like the fact that Peter is getting Better

he's better prepared, has contingency plans, and he's no longer on the fringes of the police world, people know what he can do, people will work with him and respect him, albeit grudgingly.

I like that it's a very human reason that's caused the faceless man to accidentally reveal his real life identity, I like that Peter has recognised the trap he almost walked into and managed to get out of it,

I like that the bullshit with Lady Ty has finally been resolved, and they've come to a mutual understanding with each other, even if they don't like each other particularly much. I like that there's a small opportunity that the folly is going to finally undergo reform and possibly even expand. I want to see some of the people that have worked with the folly over the last 5 books come out and go, no, we need to work with this because this poo poo is becoming more prominent, I want to learn. Can you imagine a wizard version of DCI Seawoll? She'd have none of the faceless mans bullshit.

The Magic is coming back, and The Folly is not ready.

The only part I don't like is the continued reliance on Lux as Peters primary offensive spell, and the fact that the faceless man hasn't recognised it yet. It seems a willful blind spot for someone who's got almost as much as experience with magic as Nightingale has, and who has a drawn out duel with him that he almost wins

Lux is his main go-to because, as he states, it is the first spell that wizards learn. They learn it because it is probably the easiest of the formae to pick up and subsequently modify-- the Faceless Man can't totally prepare for a lot of what Peter does because it's all stuff that he's created himself based on his observations and needs.

I think Peter's actions are easier to understand in the context that he's not really fish or fowl-- at the start of his career he was scheduled to be assigned to evidence control or some sort of similar clerical job because his mind wandered too much to be an investigator. He's not completely a wizard in the mold of the Folly either, because he's too much a policeman (in particular, he has a knack for community outreach and policing that is becoming a more prominent part of most force's activities).

moderator edit to add spoiler tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 3, 2016

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tithin posted:

Didn't realise it wasn't out in the US yet, sorry.

While I'll acknowledge that the modifiers to Lux are being used in-combat in an interesting way, it's the only "visible" spell that he learns on camera, so to speak. He learns Aquis off camera, and uses it with a modifier during the book once in combat, and once when showing off. It's been five books, and while I get the Lux is interesting, Peters training really needs to take a massive step forward if the combat side of the books is going to be kept interesting.

I mean hell, Lesley's been gone for two books, and she's weaponised techology in that span of time. Peter's still faffing about with Lux.

Lesley's also had tutelage from someone that has none of Nightingale's scruples and then there's the whole matter of what sort of influence has Punch had on her too. She's also had ample time to devote herself to her training now that she has no other job, while Peter still has to be a police officer. It's mentioned a couple of times that training to be a competent magical fighter takes years and even then, a wizard can be stopped much the same as another person with a bullet or explosives. I think Peter is where he is supposed to be-- it's Lesley's progress that's unnatural.

Just a thought, but it's also worth remembering that Nightingale came into the police role after completing his rehabilitation post-war. Prior to that, there have been some hints that he worked for the Colonial Office before taking up arms during the Second World War. He was seconded to the Met by virtue of being the last remaining practitioner in the Folly, so he really does sit outside of the police culture as he was never really immersed in it like Peter was during his academy days. Remembering this helps keep his actions in context, he's not just old fashioned.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

please use spoiler tags for detailed discussions of books that are not released in the US yet

I'm sorry, I'll do this going forward.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I will admit I think it's hilarious that Jordan managed to put out three books in between the publication of Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows . . . despite literally dying.

According to my friends, what was released after he died was better than what was released when he was alive.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

navyjack posted:

I feel the same way about Pete

Same here. Like I wonder if I missed something in the books that lead to the Peter hate. Dresden and Verus are WAY worse than he is. He just seems like a regular guy. He's not always great, but he loves his junkie jazz dad and his domineering mum, he shows empathy and the occasional flash of smarts, he screws up sometimes but not in rear end in a top hat ways. Heck, the biggest thing for me was being a fucken dimwit as regards his jazz vampire girlfriend, and even then better men than him have ignored the signs of a hot jazz vampire.

I'd even give him a pass on that given how new he was to the study of magic and the fact that "jazz vampire" isn't exactly a concept or creature that most anyone would be aware of (unless they are one I suppose though the girls themselves don't fully seem to fully grasp the nature of what they are). The criticism (seen elsewhere ITT) that he can be self-absorbed and even immature is fair-- he's well meaning, but his tendency to blame himself for the failures of others close to him suggests that he doesn't fully grasp the fact that individuals can and will make decisions for themselves that are at odds with what he would prefer to see them do. But again, I think that's appropriate to the character. He's a cop, an island of official law and order in a very strange and often hostile world. I don't think he's stupid by any stretch, but I do think that he does not focus on tasks well (and isn't really allowed to, given the enormity of what he has to learn and do and his relative youth) so the end result looks a lot like incompetence.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, I want to say it was Dead Beat where Harry "thumbs back the trigger" on his .44

Kudos on him for trying to get better though. The two craziest groups for accuracy are gun people and horse people. Get their stuff wrong and they'll string you up.

I was going to protest this sentiment, being a recreational marksman, but it's true. I'm also extremely unpleasant to watch historical movies with as I tend to nitpick those as well.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Exmond posted:

With no context and no knowledge of the characters, I found the joke to be okay. The social justice jokes aren't a constant thing in the book is it?

The social justice jokes aren't overdone, but they're there mainly as a way of demonstrating Nightingale's gradual acclimatization to the modern world (he was born no later than 1900 and spent part of his early career in the British Raj.

They're far and away my favourite UF series and a lot of the reason why is the strength of the character development.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Yeah, I really liked it overall. It's not the best book in the series but it's not bad. The ending was a little bit of a flop landing but that's kinda the thing with police procedurals: once you catch the badguy it always turns out they were just a guy..

That's always been pretty heavily foreshadowed by Nightengale's own observations, mainly to the effect that while it is easy to mythologize criminal masterminds (especially ones that use magic), but at the end of the day they're still flawed and human like the people that chase them.

I liked the book quite a bit. The direction that Peter is headed in was of particular interest to me and I think that the author has done well at showing this rather than outright telling us about it.

Now that the Faceless Man plotline has been more or less wrapped up, one wonders where Leslie is headed next.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 26, 2018

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

wiegieman posted:

Has Peter ever mentioned what his own Signare is? We know Nightingale's (extremely complex clockwork) and the Faceless Man's (a sharpening straight-razor), and Leslie's (A crying seagull) is mixed with both of theirs, so presumably Peter's is something overly whimsical mixed with a lot of disapprovingly glaring clockwork.

I think Nightengale's is described in various terms; I'm not sure he is quite as specific as the Faceless Man's. I'd like to think that Peter's involves jazz in some way.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'm cautiously optimistic about both this and The Watch.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kea posted:

Hardy Boys when I was young and then Discworld when I was a bit older got me into reading, Discworld was especially a great start,

Lord of the Rings was my gateway into reading when I was a kid. I didn't discover Discworld until I was an adult, but I am glad I did. Night Watch hits me like a hammer every time I read it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nightingale reminds a lot me of a Latin tutor I had in high school many years ago. He was a product of a prestigious British public school, flew for the RAF during the War, was horribly traumatized by his experiences and never talked about it. Aaronovitch captured some of the best aspects of a generation in Nightingale and reading the Rivers books reminds me a lot of my old tutor (or magister), who passed away years ago.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ninurta posted:

So I just finished up the latest Harmony Black, and it seemed like a decent semi-reset with Cthulhu features. I liked it overall, however The Harmony/Jessie relationship seems to be a recycle of Revanche/Wisdom's Grove with Marie and Nessa. Only now it's the Paladin and...the Wolf? IDK.

I am looking forward to the next Faust book tentatively in January as well as the next Peter Grant book. It will hopefully build upon The October Man novella and it's history.

The next Rivers book has Peter working in the private sector while on suspension from his duties as a cop after the events of the previous book. I kinda doubt that ol' Tobias is appearing in this one.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Necrotizer F posted:

I managed to find some of Ben Aaronovitch's short stories that were only published in special Waterstones editions of certain of his books.

The first one I read was Favorite Uncle which was awesome because Abigail was the viewpoint character. So my reaction was "Yesss!" followed swiftly by "God-loving-Dammit!" Because I believe that this story is absolutely critical to understanding Abigail and her motivations. And unless you were lucky enough to get one of those editions or happened to find it online, you'll completely miss this story.

Agreed. It amazes me how much could be added to a character in such a short story.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

When I first read The October Man, I assumed that the reference to the terrifying new apprentice was a nod to Leslie, but it's pretty clearly Abigail.

Peter's always going to be a cop that became a wizard. Abigail is going to be the first purpose-trained wizard in the UK in eighty years. It's going to be very interesting how their characters continue to grow and evolve as the series progresses.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nice little 40k reference in False Value. I smiled when I caught that.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Peter's job status was resolved in the most recent comic series, the final issue of which was released a few weeks ago so that wasn't really an issue for me reading the book. The end of False Value seems to hint that Nightingale is considering leaving policing behind and is looking at Peter to take over leadership of the SAU. Coupled with the fact that Nightingale's mentioned to be working on reacquainting himself with some of the basics of magic instruction, I'm wondering if he isn't considering a career change into teaching and possibly reopening Casterbrook. I mean, why review the basics now when both Peter and Abigail are obviously well past that?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hub Cat posted:

That's annoying, hate having to buy all the things or miss plot details. And to think I just defended the comics on that issue.

I agree with you on the rest though.

I'm not sure if it was intentional as such. I wonder if the book's delay in publishing had something to do with it? It was originally scheduled for an October release as I recall.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hub Cat posted:

Eh feeling more like I'm just getting hung up on dumb poo poo really. I was gonna get the comics anyway just didn't realize they were out already and like I said earlier we all knew Peter was gonna keep his job so I'll give False Value and at least Lies Sleeping a reread and see if I change my mind at all about it.

I think the criticism of False Value being unpolished is valid-- I don't think it's you at all. I found the introduction to the book very unfocused and rushed and also found it difficult to keep the different characters that were introduced straight as there were so many thrown at us so quickly.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 2, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Deptfordx posted:

It has occasionally occured to me that Nightingale, a man whose childhood was literally Edwardian Britain, and whose entire life has been spent in rarified circles is a little too implausibly (for want of a better phrase) woke.

I think Nightingale's prolonged exposure to the demi-monde (particularly through Molly) and his work in policing it has made him far broader of mind than a great many of his contemporaries. I don't think it is much of a leap from accepting various kinds of fae to also accepting other perceptions of identity as well.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Fighting Trousers posted:

Nightingale was raised to be A Gentleman. He's just keeping up with the modern definition.

That's an interesting take on the subject, and not one I have considered before.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Everyone posted:

What Abigail Did That Summer was gooood. At this point I kind of want Peter Grant to have some kind of "one last hurrah" adventure and then go raise a family with Beverly so we can get a "Foxes of London" series focusing on Abigail.

Abigail is a fascinating character.

Once she starts learning magic, it is easy to see why the Germans are alarmed by her skill and capacity for quickly learning.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Well, except for Mama and Papa Thames. They aren't impressed by Nightingale at all and have some pretty rough stuff to say about him whenever they say something to Peter about him.

That has more to do with his semi-adversarial role as a government official than his ability as a practitioner, I think. Most of the demi-monde really resents the "official" tendency to classify, categorize and label them.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

awesmoe posted:

i feel like im the only person who reads those books because i like the character of peter grant

No, I do too. The entire series is populated by fantastic characters, but I think Peter is interesting because he has a presence in so many different overlapping worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The best thing for game of thrones would be for Martin to sell the IP to Kevin J. Anderson so that when the final books get published they'll make season 7 look incredible by comparison.