Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

There's a new Iron Druid novel coming soon did they get any better? I gave up after the lolcats thing - it was just the last straw for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Angry Lobster posted:

Yup, noticed that in my recent reread but then I asked myself: Why did Cowl needed that copy from Dresden when he could have asked Peabody for a copy of the poem if it's true that both of them were Black Council?

Presumably because he had written it a century prior and didn't have idetic memory?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What the gently caress happened to the avatars of the people itt?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

In 2 hours

c'mon audible :pray:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:argh:

IT'S BEEN 45 MINUTES ASSHOLES

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Some thoughts :

* glad to get some resolution to the parasite storyline - bitterly disappointed lash is truly gone. I thought that the healing thing was a real good line of thought. Harry and lashs spirit child is a good compromise though. I think my reaction was the same as Murphy's to Harry's "I'm pregnant" thing.

* what's with the dream between him and molly in the first quarter of the book? Was it a denarian trick?

* if not, how did coin lasciel know of him and lash's kids when it's been put in place for a very long time that they were distinctly separate entities. Seems a bit of a plot hole.

* re the coins left in hades realm, lasciels coin is also trapped under a poo poo load of molten rock, which will have cooled to stone by the time anyone figures out another way back in to that realm.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I want to do a re listen at some point soon to pick up poo poo I missed the first time through.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

She didn't set him on fire, she put the illusion of the room being on fire, with him feeling the sensation of it to make the point that if she wanted him dead, it would be as easy as making him not see an incoming car.

on reflection, I'm a little annoyed at the lack of focus on Harry's new daughter. I'd really like to see a heavy focus on both his kids in the next book.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Captain Capacitor posted:

You mean this one? :)

That's aces. Now someone re-arrange those words and we've got book 16 ready to go.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thunderfinger posted:

Optioned for what, exactly?

TV usually.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If it's a movie, I really do not have any interest at all.

Regardless of which book they pick, there's enough subplots in there that removing any or all fo them will have a net negative impact on the story.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did no one else catch that harry touches the real grail and feels a body wide tingle? If that's the real grail, then he no longer needs the winter mantle to keep himself chugging along.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Did no one else catch that harry touches the real grail and feels a body wide tingle? If that's the real grail, then he no longer needs the winter mantle to keep himself chugging along.

I hosed this up because I was phone posting.

What I meant to say was that Harry touched the true Shroud of Turin, not drank from the grail, and then felt the tingle[/b]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ImpAtom posted:

That would explain an incredible amount about Binder.

What would it explain? he's shown up twice in 15 books and gotten his rear end kicked seven ways from sunday in the first book, and realistically in the second comes out even - but that's literally because he was on the protagonists side in the second one.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish I could get into Rivers of London. My big problem with it is that I like literally everyone in it but the protagonist. If it was Leslie and Nightingale handling poo poo 24/7 I would be all over that.

Not after the last book you won't.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Latest Laundry novel -

Aaaargh! Angleton! Andy! :stare:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah I did get a laugh out of the whole having to read the entirety of Vampires fiction thing. Especially when he mentioned changes.

ookiimarukochan posted:

replying to the above spoilers

Yeah, it's sad that Andy died, but I don't think Angleton is gone for good - there was a bit too much about him testing Bob for me to think that that wasn't some sort of test, "how do you cope when I'm not here" - unfortunately we won't find out for at least 3 years as Bob won't be narrating either of the next two Laundry books

He won't? Where did this come out?

My own personal hypothesis is that like Moiraine for the Wheel of Time, Angleton will come back once of the characters are on his power and knowledge level - he clearly knows a shitload and it's time for a training montage

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Error 404 posted:

What? I need to know more.

Without revealing too much of the story, Bob has to go and read vampire fiction to catalogue common themes and weaknesses across fiction for one of those makeshift / makework meetings he's forced to attend by Angleton and he explicitly mentions having to grudgingly read Dresden a few times.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Was there a fifth Rivers of London book released recently, or am I dreaming?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I got the audiobook and hated it so much I actually returned it after two chapters. The narrators voice made me want to claw my ears out.

I don't do the whole returning books thing often.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Finished Foxglove Summer.

Enjoyed it more than the previous one but it ends incredibly abruptly - it almost feels like there should be another chapter or two, or an epilogue or something.

It's definitely a filler book though in the respect that the plot really hasn't moved very far. A few hints and a bit of info / background.

I like that Peter was mostly operating and investigating on his own and was mostly out of Nightingales shadow.

I'm curious about Peters midnight d'alliance with Beverly Brook. Really seems like something that he'll come to either regret or come back to bite him in the arse in the future. I expect that there'll be a new child goddess of the rivers in the near future.

Curious as to what happened after the ending and irritated by the ending.

It's not bad / 10

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

immoral_ posted:

Beverly came out and said that was a reason for it, she even said that she thought it would be a male river.

River, or god river?

I remember that conversation but couldn't figure out if she was being metaphorical with assigning the gender or literal.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, I got the Audiobook from Audible. How the gently caress am I meant to get that story short of piracy? :\

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

OneTwentySix posted:

Where was this? Or do you mean in the books, I remember something like that coming up in Cold Front?

Harrys conversation with Titania just prior to confronting the lesser queens on the island.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fried Chicken posted:

On that note* the new covers for the next Laundry book are up at Stross' site

*see what I did there?

Is there a release date?

... Or title for that matter?

Not really sure if I'll enjoy a non bob Laundry novel tbh.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wittgen posted:

Worm is 1.68 million actually. Pact was about half that.

Still, two and a half million words in 4 years is well and truly nuts. It's all a first draft, really, but it's still impressive.

That reminds me I need to back and finish Pact. I lost interest in it about two thirds of the way through (around about February this year) when I realised I'd lost my mental image of what the protagonist even looked like

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Got linked to this neat T-Shirt.

https://www.teepublic.com/show/207373-house-dresden-stars-and-stones?newly_uploaded=true

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's out already? Good God almighty. I only just finished the Jennifer Morgue on my re read, I thought it was a few months away

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any idea when the audiobook for The annihilation Score is coming out?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sounds less young adult and more the heroes journey, which is a story archetype as old as humanity itself. Just because a book is about coming of age doesn't make it young adult.

One could argue that asoiaf started out so the heroes journey, and even early on it was apparent that it was not young adult.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone got any info on if this series is any good?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throne_of_Glass

Worth an audible credit?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The first two books were redone as comics and didn't have a lot of the squick factor.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Does it get better after book 1 because that book hit my ick factor. Can't remember quite why though

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Libriomancer and the second book were ok but gods be good David DeVries is a god awful Narrator

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's a shame you don't have audiobooks, it's how I do all my reading these days - lots of 5 star reviews, must be good.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Hanging Tree on audible's been kicked down the track to September 2017

the next book in the atrocity archives series is out in the next couple of days, and it's the first one to not focus on Bob Howard

tithin fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 25, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I forgot, it's that long since I listened to it. But I still remember it being ~mostly~ Bob

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That was it yeah, the vampire one. Wait there was one about Mo? gently caress I must have missed that one!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dresden files rpg is in the new humble rpg book bundle, along with a bunch of other fiction including the laundry files

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Finished The Hanging Tree, what an absolutely great book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I personally like the fact that Peter is getting Better

he's better prepared, has contingency plans, and he's no longer on the fringes of the police world, people know what he can do, people will work with him and respect him, albeit grudgingly.

I like that it's a very human reason that's caused the faceless man to accidentally reveal his real life identity, I like that Peter has recognised the trap he almost walked into and managed to get out of it

I like that the bullshit with Lady Ty has finally been resolved, and they've come to a mutual understanding with each other, even if they don't like each other particularly much. I like that there's a small opportunity that the folly is going to finally undergo reform and possibly even expand. I want to see some of the people that have worked with the folly over the last 5 books come out and go, no, we need to work with this because this poo poo is becoming more prominent, I want to learn. Can you imagine a wizard version of DCI Seawoll? She'd have none of the faceless mans bullshit.

The Magic is coming back, and The Folly is not ready.

The only part I don't like is the continued reliance on Lux as Peters primary offensive spell, and the fact that the faceless man hasn't recognised it yet. It seems a willful blind spot for someone who's got almost as much as experience with magic as Nightingale has, and who has a drawn out duel with him that he almost wins

mod edit added spoiler tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 3, 2016