Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just finished reading (listening to) the whole series and loved it. Is there a list anywhere of all the powerups he gets through the series in a concise view? Because man, it was almost every book and gap between books he was more than he had been (even taking into consideration natural talent progression).

Edit: Also, I must have missed this (listened to it at 2x so it's possible): how was Molly able to become the Winter Lady when Maeve died? I thought it had to be someone from the Faerie courts/nobility.

mastajake fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It makes it seem more intense for me. Like I really feel the time constraint plots in suspenseful sections of books. People (including Marsters) tend to sound the same, just more like they are in a hurry while telling you a story and less like they are telling it to you by a campfire or something. It's definitely an interesting experience, and obviously I enjoy it. I got a new phone last week and was confused why it seemed like Marsters was talking to me like I was a stupid kid and then realized I hadn't turned the new phone's audible to 2x. So really, weird to get used to, but weirder to get used to not having it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I don't want Murphy and Harry to be in ~a relationship~ but she's a great partner for him. I'd hate to see her dead. Some of the best moments are her, Harry, and Marcone/Michael/Kincaid/Thomas working together with their differing outlooks and goals.

Is Murphy the only character that has been in every book other than Harry? There was one book I didn't think Mister was in (but I could be wrong) and I can't think of anyone else. Mac maybe?

Fix is.... kind of a non character to me. Most All of his plot has just revolved around Lily so far, so I'm interested to see where his vengeance subplot takes him.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Out of anything the future Dresden Files have to offer, I'm probably looking forward to the fate of Marcone the most.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I looked into the rivers of London series but couldn't find it on audible. A quick Google search told me the title was changed to Midnight Riot in the US.

Seriously? The US title of philosophers stone being changed was bad enough, but now the stupid Americans just aren't capable of seeing the word London?

Maybe there's a good explanation and I'm overreacting, but that's just ridiculous.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Blasphemeral posted:

I don't know if that one specifically is real, but I know there was one on the official forums for a long time (and may still be-- I don't bother going there anymore) where a not-insignificant minority had a theory about Mab being Molly from the future-became-past. It was bonkers.

They suffer from discussion topic withdrawal much harder on the JB official forums than we do here, is what I'm saying.

She finally gets the guy. :unsmith:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I've always understood YA as dealing with themes teens generally deal with themselves, and focusing on a teen; maybe the protagonist isn't a teen (usually is), but they are heavily emphasized in the story.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Well to be fair, there's only like two male sex vampires, right? Thomas and his dad? The rest were killed by his dad or are on the fear/despair sides of the spectrum. Unless I'm forgetting some of the others? 0/2 doesn't seem THAT bad for a distribution.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I was excited. That's pretty awesome of them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

They sent an email and you had to click on the link in it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

A lot of people disliked the star trek scene but I loved it (only seen the new star trek movies though). Kincaid is the obvious assassin, but the cooler plot is why.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It's also where it stops being Harry versus The White Council as much. It's a turning point for Harry and the readers. He's finally pay off the universe Butcher created instead of an observer of it. The only thing missing to me was Michael, but you get that the next book (at least a little).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

That's one thing I dislike about a lot of fantasy/urban fantasy/YA stories: historically, everyone who made a difference in the world (good or bad) and everything that happens to the world (natural disasters, etc) were all done by magic or gods or some poo poo. Between that and the "congrats, you are the chosen one; no one would have had a chance but you, since you were born this way not because of your choices" many of them hinge upon, it feels way too deterministic.

I've only read the first three London books, but I like that they didn't do that (well, at least the latter) with Peter.

Why can't George Washington just be George Washington, a normal product of the world? Same with Hitler, Jesus of Nazareth, and tsunamis. It really feels more like a crutch than a novelty.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

ImpAtom posted:

There's a pretty significant reason Jesus is associated with supernatural elements, to be honest!

Haha you've got me there.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

thrawn527 posted:

So does Harry not have use of the Hellfire anymore?

He does not. I just finished listening to that one for the second time and I loved it too. Honestly I like Elaine and seeing her show up is great.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

A lot of it is just that Elaine has a lot of problems with 'the man' and Harry represents that entity. Not to mention now he also represents Winter, and she potentially still has ties/obligations to summer. Fix and Elaine vs Dresden and Molly.

E. On second thought I'm gonna put that last bit in spoilers as a just in case. Potential Cold Days fallout spoilers, though it's speculation.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anything I should know before jumping into the Alex Verus series (no spoilers)? I've read all of the Dresden files at least once and the first three Rivers of London and enjoyed them, though Dresden more.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Alternatively, get the audiobook and you can hang out with them while also ignoring them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I listen to most my books these days, due to my commute. I think Dresden has worked really well with the format. The first time through Dresden I listened at 2x speed and the second time was at 3x speed. It really gives it a great sense of urgency, at least to me. I need to try eye-reading them sometime though, just to see if there's a different feel.

Lol at the idea that using your eyes to read is somehow classier/more intelligent than using your ears to read.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Blasphemeral posted:

Yes. Do not listen to it, though. It's all-captials BAD.

I've been listening to the Worm audiobook and have enjoyed it so far. It's certainly not professional grade, but the main two guys do a good job, as well as a couple of the one-offs. There was one segment I listened to recently that was just god awful though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I enjoyed all of them, for the most part. The Lucio in the Wild West one was the most unique and was fun. The Butters one was probably my favorite, though Bombshells was also really good.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So I was just re-listening to Grave Peril, and noticed that Lea tries to bargain for Michael's oldest (Molly), and Michael threatens to come after her with everything he's got if she tries. Well, 11 books later in Cold Days Lea (rather Mab) does wind up "getting" her. It makes me wonder if that was Lea's plan all along, and if Michael's threats will bear any fruit when he finds out.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Have you watched the show? It’s way different than the books and is really cheesy but it’s a blast.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

If you want some more Percy Jackson, the Heroes of Olympus series (the sequel series) is better than the original IMO, especially the second book.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I thought that was Myfanwy vs. Thomas.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Vampires should have just like tied regular humans to their transformed bodies like screaming, sentient armor when they were attacking the council.

Would have been pretty cool because then Blackstaff McCoy would casually murder hundreds of thousands of people and vampires with an inferno emanating from a wave of his hand. Not that he and Dresden needed any more drama between the two of them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Also K.A. Applegate’s response to people dissatisfied with the end is pretty :discourse:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Not sure if Worm counts, but I've been rereading through it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Does The Magicians count as urban fantasy? I read the first book on the recommendation of a gal I went on a few dates with and by the time I reached the end, the more I thought about it, the more I :yikes: and I just have to vent. Spoilers ahead.

It's a story of an incredibly magically-gifted teenager who at first just seems angsty, but gradually reveals himself to be a sociopathic narcissist who blames everyone but himself for his own failures. After he graduates from school, he coasts on the sacrifices of those around him and the magical community's plutocratic indulgence of all its failson layabouts. At several points along the way, whatshisface has a momentary flash of self-awareness and questions whether he's actually to blame, but immediately pulls a Principal Skinner and blames everyone else. I'd thought this was leading up to some sort of comeuppance and real character growth, but, nope, his companions lose their lives against the big bad while the protagonist flails about ineffectually. He then goes back to Earth, gets handed a high-paying corporate job where he does literally nothing and mopes, before his surviving companions resurface in the final page to literally call out the unfinished plot points and allow the sequel to start with things more or less reset.

I'm genuinely confused about the authorial intent. Is the protagonist just an author surrogate and this is his actual mindset? Is the author just writing pulp and deliberately insulting the reader? Most bad books I just let go, but this one and its apparent popularity just confounds me enough to plague me months after I read it.

Oh, and there's a sex scene that is kind of explicitly non-consensual, but is explained away as "they were just literal unthinking animals at the time, guys, so it's all good!"

If you’re looking for actual character growth for Quentin, you won’t find it until the second and third books. He is a deeply flawed man child who has the power of a god but feels inadequate. You should definitely watch the SyFy series though. After the first few episodes it gets really good, and Quentin has a lot of growth throughout, especially by the third season.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My wife and I just watched it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It was Charmed but Dresden-y. Most of the series takes place before Storm Front, and then there is a Storm Front episode that I swear must have been the pilot.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah if you walk in expecting something actually good you’re gonna be disappointed. But it’s a fun and enjoyable experience if you like the setting and want more and don’t care about cheesy stuff.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just hope there is more Michael in this next book. He's probably my favorite character. Wondering how long the Winter Knight thing is gonna last. Maybe the rest of the series?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I was waiting on Harry spouting off ”And that vampire is your grandson, too.” When things got heated, but I guess not.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

AppropriateUser posted:

This chapter plus the Christmas post Peace Talks short story Butcher already put outkinda imply that McCoy is gonna die before the year is out.

Harry is absolutely hosed if that is the case.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I thought it was really loving good. Lots of good action and character development. Conjuritis seemed a little dumb but didn’t bother me. I was excited to see a threat of biblical proportions come in, but I can’t really reconcile the fact that the destruction of the Red Court was what triggered her reaching for power/the restoration of the old ways .I came here to post a hot take of Justine being not what she seems/evil in some way, but it seems I was beaten to the punch. Definitely something up with “can’t talk, only mumble”, and I could buy her being the Outsiders summoner.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Not to mention the rumors of the same thing happening to his grandson, who never has a good reason why it isn't happening.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

My point was that McCoy has talked about/interacted with Thomas/The White Court in general before, and it wasn't cranked up to 11 like it is now.

This is for sure true, and it seemed to come out of nowhere with me too, but I think it starts when he sees his great-granddaughter in the company of a literal incubus, and then his grandson is willing to throw his entire life away for the same one shortly after.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Did we not get another Battle Grounds chapter this week? I only remember reading the first two a week ago, but who even knows how time works anymore.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anyone know what was up in the conversation between (Dresden, Battle Grounds, Chapter 3) Lara and Molly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Deptfordx posted:

Plot twist. Mac is actually Uatu the Watcher.

Mac is Stan Lee confirmed.