Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I hope that future books don't have as many nerd references as this book contained. It was saturated with them, and while it is sort of who Harry is, it's just getting to be a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Rape could have been a good catalyst for Hannah's development and choices if it were handled well, but Butcher's not a very good writer so it dropped like a lead balloon and then kablam and let's move on. Rape is a serious subject and it seems obvious he didn't give it the weight and thought that it deserves. Which is too bad, because he can be better; he has other good female characters. Maybe he just needs a good female editor to hit him upside the head. Also, time. As in, spend more time writing the books. Maybe add six months going forward.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Looking forward to Peace Talks so we can finally get some White Council reactions to Harry's death, resurrection and en-Wintering.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

The movie version of Night Watch is terrible.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Mars4523 posted:

I tried reading the Greywalker series. Couldn't make it through the first book, which was just unbearably slow. Does it pick up afterwards?

No, it maintains the same pace and tone. The main character does grow from book to book and the metaplot progresses, but not nearly at the pace of Dresden. It keeps to the low-key detective format in pretty much every book. I personally enjoy them, but they're definitely not for everyone.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 13, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm mostly concerned about where it goes from here. We're only a little over half way through the series and Dresden is already taking on Gods.

I can also kinda see where the concern over power creep comes from, though I personally enjoy the middle ground between noir Dresden solving half his problems with a revolver and demigod Dresden who stands up to the most powerful beings in existence.

We're 3/4 through the series if it's going to end up being at 20 (not counting the apocalypse trilogy).

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's something to be said for vampires and sexual assault allegories but I don't want to talk about that, I want to talk about how interesting this worldbuilding is, or how dumb vampires using katanas is.

e: has anyone in here read Chicagoland Vampires?

I read the first Chicagoland Vampires book, Some Girls Bite, some time back. I didn't write a review so can't remember all my impressions, but it's just a romance with the vampire bits as window dressing. The MC is a Sue. Engaging and readable, if that's the sort of thing you're into though.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Anias posted:

Yes. Michelle Sahara West is superb. Her cast novels are great, and urban fantasy adjacent.

If you like epic fantasy run don’t walk to get The Hidden City.

I'd agree. I love both series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Beachcomber posted:

You could also try:
1. The InCryptid series by Seanan McGuire
2. The October Daye series also by Seanan McGuire
3. Kim Harrison seems pretty low on sex thus far.
4. The Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka
5. Some others I can't think of right now.

6. Michelle West/Michelle Segara - same author, two different series. No sex, creepy or otherwise. Long series too; she's been writing quite a while.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 16, 2020