Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
On e-reader chat, I got my hands on a kindle paper white on display at like an Office Depot of all places and it is seriously the slickest thing ever. A touch screen on an e-reader? A built-in backlight that looks amazing? I would drop :200+bux: on it no question.

It does not cost $200+

It's like 120 or something stupid. This only reason I haven't gotten one is because my (no idea which gen, it has 3G and WiFi) kindle is still truckin, with just a tiny patch of dead screen near the bottom where there's never any text anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Just sitting here waiting for my kindle to tick over to midnight...

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Oroborus posted:

I am getting irrationally angry at my kindle app for not having the new book yet it's 12:02am!

I am in this boat and the boat is on fire and it isn't my fault.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Paging Amazon Tony to MY HOUSE WITH A COPY OF SKIN GAME

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I know I'm a but late for Mirror Mirror talk, but I think it would be the most Dresden thing ever if we got to see a conversation between our Harry and his goateed twin, where they get into a legitimate argument over whether it's an Evil Twin Goatee or a Jedi Master Beard with the determination of who's who depending solely on this criteria.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

This could be interesting as it implies there's a third Faerie Queen running around.

Nah, it's definitely the whole Mother, Maiden, Crone thing that the Faerie queens have going, with Mother, Queen and Lady. Pretty sure Hecate is one of Mother Winter's names.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Ferrovax wasn't Micheal's nemesis. Where would you ever get that impression?

He's just another Dragon that we get a glimpse of that is known as a Power in his own right (signatory of the Accords) that has a little light banter with Micheal at the party.

...and some heavy banter with Harry.

Michael doesn't really have a nemesis. He and Nick are on the same page about their relationship, how the show is really the Coins vs the Swords, not the Nickel heads vs the Knights.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 3, 2016

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Tunicate posted:

"Can I just call you El?"
"Yeah that's fine"

Mr. Sunshine is also acceptable.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Doing a re-read of the most recent half-dozen or so to get hyped for Peace Talks. I wasn't super duper thrilled with Ghost Story the first time I read it (to be fair Changes is a tough act to follow) so it had been years since I last read it. Came across a bit of foreshadowing that got me amped as fuuuuuuck. Harry's getting shown around the Better Future Group and one of the viking warrior dudes asks Butters when he's going to step in the the ring and learn how to fight.

(MASSIVE Skin Game Spoiler)

"About five minutes after I get a functioning lightsaber."

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I really liked the story. The escalation, the character development. Karrin refuses to stop being a bad bitch and it's great. Butters is the most obvious Mary Sue in the world but I will plug my ears and sing showtunes if anyone has bad things to say about him.

But am I the only one that thinks Butcher's editor was asleep at the wheel on this one? This far into the series, I'm well used to the copy/pasted character intros, hell my intro to the series was Small Favor, I understand the necessity in a series. But when Harry goes to visit Lara at the Chateau, Butcher apparently forgot that this wasn't the first time we'd seen her and proceeds to give her a second copy/pasted intro. And some characters/situations get barely a sentence's worth of explanation as if we've all been reading along together for a dozen and a half books, like the Knights of the Cross, important background events like what happened to the Reds, Nemesis, Bob gets talked about but never explained. Oh, and then entirely new characters get literally nothing, but slide in like we know exactly who they are and how they operate. Like King Corb. Seriously just rolls up and Harry's all, "Oh for sure, that's the King of this shadowy unknown faction that we've known pretty much nothing about until this point and IN A DRAMATIC TWIST, here's his even more awesome and powerful boss, which has absolutely no dramatic effect because King Corb is a completely unknown quantity.

Conjuritis is the stupidest most unnecessary monkey cheese poo poo, and in back-to-back chapters he uses the exact same The Blob reference.

I got completely taken out of the story several times over lovely editing issues that I would not have expected this far into the dude's career.

Ok now I want to speculate. We never really got the payoff of McCoy's prophetic "Someone's going to stab you in the back." warning, and I have a really strong hunch I know who it's going to be. I think a recurring member of the cast has been infected by Nemesis.

I think it is (lots of extra spacing in this spoiler) going to end up being Justine.

As for my reasoning, Once the story gets properly set into motion, Thomas notably only has two lines, both of them an attempt to say Justine's name to Harry, with no context at all. He's no answering a question, and he can barely speak, let alone make a coherent statement, and Harry assumes that Thomas wants her taken care of. This seems like a classic Butcher bait-and-switch where Thomas is actually trying to WARN Harry about Justine.

And some questions:

I'm working on my second, slower read-through now, but when exactly did Carlos manage to Tag Harry with the ink he used to track him?

Does it seem to anyone else that McCoy's hate-on for the White sort of came out of nowhere? Like in the past, he's obviously had a standard amount of "gently caress those guys" that a senior member of the White Council would have for pretty much anything or anyone outside of the council, but this was just like, drat son.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 18, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
My point was that McCoy has talked about/interacted with Thomas/The White Court in general before, and it wasn't cranked up to 11 like it is now.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I'm working on my second, slower read-through now, but when exactly did Carlos manage to Tag Harry with the ink he used to track him?

Ok, I've finally had time to go back and check. The description of where the mark is does indeed make it sound like it was done during a handshake.

This handshake didn't happen.

Carlos' appearance in chapter 1 is his only screentime before the scene outside of Chateau Raithe. He gives Harry a verbal greeting, and a fist-bump when he departs. How are you going to have a character act sneaky under the guise of a handshake, but forget to actually have them shake hands?

loving amateur hour.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 22, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The only way that works is if he had wet ink on one of his knuckles and Harry just never washes his loving hands after the fist bump. And even then that's sketchy as hell.

That's my point, it's an idiotic oversight by Butcher and his editor. One of many.

Unless this turns out to be Nemesisian 4th-dimension chess, the entire premise doesn't work. Carlos explicitly shows that he had ink on his own pinky, which wouldn't even be in the right position to tag Harry's wrist opposite his thumb anyways, unless they did a Spartan-style forearm grab.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

thumper57 posted:

Am I forgetting some point when Marcone (who incidentally I have never been able to picture any way other than Fat Tony) actually did something... bad? Like he seems like a professional dude that Dresden is always going "grr I hate him!", even though we (to my recollection) never see him be villainous. Is it just because he "does crimes"?

Even Mab, we're always hearing about how bad she is and stuff but basically (like Marcone!) she's always just putting up with Dresden's poo poo and letting him slide.

That's been a series-long complaint about Marcone, you're on the same page as everyone else.

As for Mab, I've never had a problem with the nebulous nature of her antagonism. She (and most beings in her metaphysical weight class) is more like a force of nature than an actual character. She is what she is (cold, merciless, pragmatic, etc) and she reacts to things the way she reacts to things. Harry "gets" her and takes care to couch everything he says and does to/for her in that context so as to skirt consequences. Until he fails to make good on something and gets got, which he also understands is A Thing about his current line of employment.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

quote:

I think it is (lots of extra spacing in this spoiler) going to end up being Justine.

As for my reasoning, Once the story gets properly set into motion, Thomas notably only has two lines, both of them an attempt to say Justine's name to Harry, with no context at all. He's no answering a question, and he can barely speak, let alone make a coherent statement, and Harry assumes that Thomas wants her taken care of. This seems like a classic Butcher bait-and-switch where Thomas is actually trying to WARN Harry about Justine.

CALLED IT

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 1, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Everyone posted:

It was worse than that. There were a few times he'd have Dresden use the same metaphor within the same scene. I think he referred to some monster as "The Blob" and then did it again within a page of that. Stuff that a real editor would notice and point out.

My favorites:

A relatively minor plot point (Ramirez' tracking spell) is described as being applied in a very specific way during a handshake in an earlier scene. This immediately stuck out to me on my very first read for a couple reasons. First, because for as minor as it was, it seemed like a weirdly specific answer to a question nobody was ever going to ask. If you tell me a high-ranking Wizard Cop had a tracking spell on another high-ranking Wizard Cop, I believe you. Tracking spells are well-established in this universe, there a countless ways to do one, enough that it's probably prohibitively difficult to keep yourself entirely off-grid if you're out-and-about. Hell we've even seen examples of Harry using entirely mundane means to track or locate people/things, sort of clowning on the super-natural nature of his world/adversaries. Point is, we didn't need an explanation of how Harry was getting tracked.

Secondly, I specifically remember pausing at the idea of harry and Ramirez shaking hands. I remember thinking, "Don't Harry and Ramirez almost exclusively fist-bump?" It was jarring enough that I stopped reading and back-tracked to the scene in question to verify, and sure enough, they loving fist-bump. Yes, my pedantry has negatively affected my personal and professional relationships. I did however restrain myself from looking up every instance of Harry and Ramirez greeting each other. But I wanted to.

Anyways, for such an inconsequential detail, it seriously annoyed me. And really, the worst part of it isn't either of my above points, but the fact that it should have been a no-brainer for his editor to catch, just like my other favorite:

Lara Wraith gets her classic Butcher copy/pasted character intro twice in the same book.

Dude is going full George Lucas Return of the Jedi with this poo poo.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I decided to do a complete re-read of The Dresden Files since I'm on deployment. Okay not a FULL reread, I skipped Fool Moon, and I will not apologize. I'm on Summer Knight right now. I know it's basically a meme now, but boy did I forget just how bad the male gaze was way back when.

There was a funny/sad moment in Grave Peril where Rudolf tells Harry something like, "If you let Murphy get hurt I'll kill you."

Ah, they were all so young.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Killing Murphy off so he could write more about sex vampires

I recall Murphy getting killed off/permanently sidelined being something that most of the thread assumed was imminent for a while before it happened, and for valid story-telling reasons. I mean even if she was in her early/mid 20's at the beginning of the series (IDK about cop ranks, but isn't an LT somewhat up there?), she's still past her prime physically by Battle Ground, and that's not even taking into account that absolute grinder her body has gone through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
How the gently caress do you even pronounce Bonea? If it's a pun based on her living in a wooden skull (boh-NEE-uh? boh-NAY-uh?), that's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard.