Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking through it right now and I'm not seeing anything to highlight duplicate entries. Am I missing it?

There isn't one natively, because Google Sheets is a bit lightweight; scripting is an option (why a Googler used the thread to push add-ons without actually linking to a relevant one I have no clue).

Also LibreOffice is an option and doing that works sort of the same (easier to web-search for conditional formatting; about the same but no obvious "quick" options, you'd probably use the conditional formatting window).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking through it right now and I'm not seeing anything to highlight duplicate entries. Am I missing it?

I think if you add a column, you can use something similar to this:

code:
To determine duplicates, add a B column and place this formula in B2

=countif(A$1:A1;A2)>0

Copy the formula for all B cells that are adjacent to A cells containing data. A TRUE value in the B column tells you that the value in the A column is a duplicate. 

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

There isn't one natively, because Google Sheets is a bit lightweight; scripting is an option (why a Googler used the thread to push add-ons without actually linking to a relevant one I have no clue).

Also LibreOffice is an option and doing that works sort of the same (easier to web-search for conditional formatting; about the same but no obvious "quick" options, you'd probably use the conditional formatting window).

It turns out there's an add-on in Google Sheets called Remove Duplicates which does exactly what I want. It takes a sheet, or a selection from a sheet, finds either just duplicates, just uniques, or duplicates/uniques as well as the original entry, and then gives you choices of what you want to do to them. You can highlight them, copy/paste them somewhere, delete them, and a couple other things. This is actually quite handy, now that I've tried it out.

• Locked thread