Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think I had volume2 but uninstalled it for some reason I forgot. Is it not free? I'll look into both of them, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What's the best defragger these days?

Infurnus
Nov 4, 2009

I challenge you to a DEADMATCH, where we will fight... TO THE DEAD!

Christoff posted:

Defraggler (for Windows)
I've had good experiences with this one. Its freeware version doesn't nag me to buy it, there's also a paid/professional version for workplaces.

The company that made this is Piriform, which has other freeware too:
CCleaner (previously known as Crap Cleaner :smug:)
Available for Windows, Mac and Android
An oldie but goodie that's still updated, you can clean up all kinds of useless drive-eating junk from operating system logfiles, to browser cookies (with whitelisting), and other extraneous third party software gunk, registry entries from uninstalled programs, etc. (I've only tried the Windows version, not sure of the specifics of the other platforms)
It can also do a zero wipe of the free space/deleted files on your drive too (which is good if you're going to hand over or otherwise fear your hdd/pc/laptop will get into the hands of friends/family/ex or whoever else :tinfoil:)

Recuva (Windows only)
Can recover deleted/lost/corrupt files, useful for if you've accidentally deleted something from the recycle bin or used shift+delete on accident. (Make sure you use this to recover any stuff you might have lost before using a zero wipe in CCleaner!)

Speccy (Windows only, again)
Shows system specs, temperatures, HDD SMART info, etc

Infurnus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 28, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Christoff posted:

Getting an SSD

Edit: Actually I really really miss this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYdSuFFmCU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bouchacha posted:

Edit: Actually I really really miss this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYdSuFFmCU

Defraggler has that kind of view, although scaled to the screen, not scrollable.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Christoff posted:

I quite like MyDefrag. It's really lightweight and has a lot of depth.

Don't defrag your SSD!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol how many people strictly use SSDs? Where am I gonna put all my filez?

Thanks for the suggestions!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What can I use to turn a couple images into a single PDF for free?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, wait, isn't it Bad Policy to defrag SSDs, since it's more write cycles burned for zero benefit?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah never defrag SSDs

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Surprised nobody posted this:
ClipX: Clipboard manager for windows that can store clipboard history including images.
http://bluemars.org/clipx/

Pretty frikkin useful and I can't deal without it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

hooah posted:

IrfanView with the ImPDF plugin (comes with the plugin pack). Click Options > Multipage images > Create Multipage PDF... (Plugin), it'll pop up a dialog in which you can pick the images and re-order them. Then it will show you another dialog which offers more control over the actual layout.
It defaults to adding a password to the PDFs to secure them, but you can disable that in the second dialog.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Geemer posted:

IrfanView with the ImPDF plugin (comes with the plugin pack). Click Options > Multipage images > Create Multipage PDF... (Plugin), it'll pop up a dialog in which you can pick the images and re-order them. Then it will show you another dialog which offers more control over the actual layout.
It defaults to adding a password to the PDFs to secure them, but you can disable that in the second dialog.

Cool! I didn't know IrfanView had that capability pretty much built-in (I haven't downloaded any plugins manually).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh. I didn't see anything yesterday, but figured I was just looking in the wrong folder for the output. Redid the conversion just now, and even though I get a success message, there's no PDF in the output directory. What could be going wrong?

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Clipgrab
Dedicated youtube video downloader, also works on most pages with flash vid. The dev seems to update it within 24h of youtube changing their video fetch.
GODSEND TO: Video jockeys, or anyone who hoards youtube videos.

Auslogics Disk Defrag
Free version of pro disk defrag software for us old spindle-users. Has an optimizer.
GODSEND TO: Skinflints with stacks of disks.

QtScrob
Standalone software to scrobble plays from your ipod to last.fm without using itunes. One of those weird little apps that you don't need until you do.
GODSEND TO: People who have an ipod and yet somehow despise apple??

Peerblock
Blocks contact with sites based on block lists, which are pulled from online.
GODSEND TO: Torrent pirates.

cDisplay
Reads special ZIP and RAR files formatted as comic books. Does not do library management. Is fast.
GODSEND TO: Comic book pirates.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Is there a good alternative to the Photos app in Win 8.1? I'm just looking for something to give me the behavior I had back in XP, where I can connect my digital camera, select where I want to put the files, and tell it whether or not I want to delete the originals from the camera.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

hooah posted:

I use this- website https://www.cutepdf-editor.com/edit.asp it needs flash but saves having to install anything.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Are there any good task bar applications for temperature monitoring?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I really like core temp. Really light and basic and minimizes to the taskbar

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just want to make a note for anyone using Process Hacker: Archeage (and presumably any other game using HackShield) will not run if you use it, because HackShield thinks it's an actual hack :v:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

everythingWasBees posted:

Are there any good task bar applications for temperature monitoring?

Speccy is what I use for intermittent temp monitoring. Probably not super efficient for constant use, but good for a quick overview, since it does motherboard, HDD, and GPU temps as well.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 18, 2014

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Can anyone recommend a good multiple desktop application like you get for ubuntu? I've got win7 on a laptop and find that I'm missing having multiple desktops now...

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

fliptophead posted:

Can anyone recommend a good multiple desktop application like you get for ubuntu? I've got win7 on a laptop and find that I'm missing having multiple desktops now...

This is almost a troll, but the Windows 10 virtual desktop implementation in the Technical Preview is barebones but really nice :)

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

fliptophead posted:

Dexpot.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Tivac posted:

This is almost a troll, but the Windows 10 virtual desktop implementation in the Technical Preview is barebones but really nice :)

Really? That's pretty cool. I will need to make sure I try that out!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Thanks! Can't wait to give it a go!

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
What's the best program for mounting ISO files these days? I used to use daemon tools but I just read some bad things about it. Any suggestions?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

10bux posted:

What's the best program for mounting ISO files these days? I used to use daemon tools but I just read some bad things about it. Any suggestions?

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

I use Virtual Clone Drive, it's never failed me and is still freeware as far as I can tell.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
Is there anything that will search my backup drive and find duplicate files and show their locations? If it also had a folder compare feature so I can sync and move things across that would be great.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

10bux posted:

I really like WinCDEmu for its non-existent profile and ease of use.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

10bux posted:

It's been a while, but I think Win7 can mount them natively. I know Win8 does.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

10bux posted:

VirtualCloneDrive is what I use, for its light weight with a bit of configurability.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Koskun posted:

It's been a while, but I think Win7 can mount them natively. I know Win8 does.
The closest you can get to Win7 mounting ISOs natively would be to install the Microsoft tool. Win8 is the one with ISO mounting pre-baked into the OS itself.

If you need to mount something that's not actually a .iso file, I would second Bouchacha's recommendation for WinCDEmu. I'm particularly fond of the portable version, for a minimum of cruft.

Earl of Lavender fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 9, 2014

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

fliptophead posted:

Thanks! Can't wait to give it a go!

Was this malware? It installed some lovely "Speed up my PC" application as well which was not part of the install options...

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

fliptophead posted:

Was this malware? It installed some lovely "Speed up my PC" application as well which was not part of the install options...

No. It's a legit program. Just has some crapware in it now apparently :( it didn't last time I installed it

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

No. It's a legit program. Just has some crapware in it now apparently :( it didn't last time I installed it

Eh it's not the worst. You can uninstall the extra crap easily enough. Might not be the best page for this but anyone have any issues getting hyper-v operating in w7? I followed some steps I saw but when installing the rdp package was told I didn't need updating. Checking the windows services did not show any hyper-v services available... Where am I going wrong?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Windows 7 doesn't include Hyper-v. Up until Windows 8, it was a server SKU feature only.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Windows 7 doesn't include Hyper-v. Up until Windows 8, it was a server SKU feature only.

Oh poo. Looks like I'll have to try something else non windows

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Tried virtual box? https://www.virtualbox.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Yeah but for whatever reason I can't get the 64 bit machines to show as options, only 32 bit and the hardware virt is on. Might need a post in the support forum.

But I would recommend virtualbox to anyone reading this. It's a great bit of software, free and easy to use

• Locked thread