Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think MS Security Essentials was/is legit good on Windows 7 and all you need(ed) but now it's built into Windows 8 and not the same? Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It changed names to Defender in Win8, but it's the same thing as MSE on Win7.

It's good enough for me, but I make sure Firefox' window to the internet is more like a tightly controlled pinhole. Disable java/reader browser plugins, update java/adobe stuff regularly, block ads, block scripts, poo poo like that.

Malwarebytes is good for the occasional scan, no need for live scanning. Though I'm sure it's not bad for that.

Best defense is good backups, backups, backups.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

minidracula posted:

This is news to me, but you've looked at it and I haven't yet: did something change with SketchUp Make 2015? SketchUp Make 2013 and 2014 seem perfectly usable assuming their limited functionality compared to Pro works for you.

The last time I loaded Sketchup Make it said "You have x many days left on your trial, click here to add a license!"

Christoff posted:

I think MS Security Essentials was/is legit good on Windows 7 and all you need(ed) but now it's built into Windows 8 and not the same? Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Last time I rear about it, MSE was at the bottom of the list As if MS was trying to convince people to switch to other AV. With it being built in, I would trust it even less since that just makes it the most obvious program to design your virus to avoid. I still us MSE just with careful browsing and blissful ignorance of any infection(s)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Jdownloader is listed in the OP, but is that still recommended for download management/getting poo poo off youtube? I've been using it for ages, but it's been hit or miss. There's like a 25% chance anything big I download with it will be corrupt.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crotch Fruit posted:

Last time I rear about it, MSE was at the bottom of the list As if MS was trying to convince people to switch to other AV. With it being built in, I would trust it even less since that just makes it the most obvious program to design your virus to avoid. I still us MSE just with careful browsing and blissful ignorance of any infection(s)

Microsoft advises people (or at least used to) to run MSE alongside another standalone AV program, so there isn't a good reason to not install it, really.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I thought MSE/Defender was always at the bottom of those lists because 1) Microsoft shares it's virus signatures/research with all the other AV's in a partner program and 2) because other AV's sort of "cheat" at those benchmark tests somehow. At least that's what others in SH/SC have said?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Microsoft advises people (or at least used to) to run MSE alongside another standalone AV program, so there isn't a good reason to not install it, really.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was a strategy to avoid getting themselves into another IE/Netscape lawsuit situation, really. Because it's really, really in Microsoft's best interests to have an antivirus running out the box on all Windows computers: over time it'll dramatically decrease Windows's reputation as unreliable compared to OS:X.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://www.nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnap

I recently discovered this, it's really polished and the pro version is reasonably priced.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just went back to MSE after a 6 month experiment with Avast. I figure that since I went years without any AV and without getting any viruses, MSE will be good enough.

Avast would randomly cause my computer to become unresponsive for several minutes.

It took me forever to track down the cause of that...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Best free drive cloner?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Bigass Moth posted:

Best free drive cloner?

Macrium

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

c0burn posted:

http://www.nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnap

I recently discovered this, it's really polished and the pro version is reasonably priced.
This looks interesting, but I can't find on the site what is missing from the free version.

Bigass Moth posted:

Best free drive cloner?
Macrium Reflect Free

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

This looks interesting, but I can't find on the site what is missing from the free version.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Jesus, I think I clicked everything in search for that but the download button. Thanks.

What's the Dynamic Layout thing?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I've used clonezilla for most of the last decade. Is Macrium any better?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Thanks guys I'll try macrium.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flipperwaldt posted:

Jesus, I think I clicked everything in search for that but the download button. Thanks.

What's the Dynamic Layout thing?

I think that's the thing where you can resize one window and any that are snapped to it are resized if they span the width or height of the screen, maybe?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I just got a new job and the breaks and lunch are different each day. Is there any simple app I can use to set a reminder each morning for each break?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Comatoast posted:

I've used clonezilla for most of the last decade. Is Macrium any better?

Macrium is easier if you're running under a pure Windows environment, but Clonezilla will dupe weird partition and file system layouts that make Reflect choke. I use either depending on what I'm cloning.

Macrium is nice if you're moving to a smaller drive(like an SSD), it'll do the cloning/shrinking of partitions in one operation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Surprised nobody posted this:
ClipX: Clipboard manager for windows that can store clipboard history including images.
http://bluemars.org/clipx/

Pretty frikkin useful and I can't deal without it.

Old post but drat this is handy. I'm having trouble with the shortcuts or I don't fully understand them but the one to bring up history works great and that's all I need.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Development seems to have disappeared, but the latest version is very functional and does what you want: Volume2

Old post but thanks! I was having some compatibly issues with alt dragger, katmouse, and these volume programs. I'm not sure if they updated volume 2 but it works great now with katmouse and alt dragger and I got it tweaked right where I want it. Biggest thing is that it changes the volume anywhere I click. Alt dragger has a built in scroll over inactive windows but it wouldn't work with it. Katmouse works fine, however.

Dicky B posted:

I have tried at least 4 of these over the years and settled on 3RVX. All of them seem to have an annoying habit of occasionally ceasing to work until you restart it which I guess is down to the hooking mechanism they have to use to intercept Windows mouse events. For me this seems to happen a lot less with 3RVX.

This one seems nice but I can't set a left mouse click + scroll hotkey

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Is there a good OSX-style terminal emulator for Windows? Everything I've found so far seems to be lacking loads of functionality.

I would be totally okay with paying a fair bunch for something too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've seen ConEmu bandied about fairly often. I don't need much, so I haven't really tried it out beyond a first blush.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

hooah posted:

I've seen ConEmu bandied about fairly often. I don't need much, so I haven't really tried it out beyond a first blush.

Hmm, this seems about what I'm looking for. Thank you!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

hooah posted:

Okay yeah I've used this for a day now, and it's basically exactly what I need. Thank you so much!

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
I'm not sure what you mean by OSX-style terminal emulator, but this might cover it

MobaXterm
Does everything. SSH, X11, RDP, VNC, FTP, CVS/GIT, perl/python/et al, and there's a portable version.

Windows Powershell
A somewhat decent MS native shell and a boon for administrating MS networks.

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
Does anyone know any free software for converting PDF to EPUB? I need to convert some stuff and don't want to get lots of spyware (again). I'm on Windows 7.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Calibre is pretty amazing and the go to for that poo poo. I think it does it?

http://calibre-ebook.com/

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I need an app that will lock specific programs from being used during specific times throughout the week. Basically I want to lock unproductive apps from being used during weekdays. Free would be great but I'd be willing to pay for a program if it was good.

Every few months I search for something to do this but I haven't really liked the options I've found.

Anyone have anything like this they like?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

froward posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by OSX-style terminal emulator, but this might cover it

MobaXterm
Does everything. SSH, X11, RDP, VNC, FTP, CVS/GIT, perl/python/et al, and there's a portable version.

Windows Powershell
A somewhat decent MS native shell and a boon for administrating MS networks.

Once you learn to love Powershell, go here for Goons who love Powershell.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know a good program to run multiple desktops like in Linux?

It'll be built in for Windows 10 but until then...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone know a good program to run multiple desktops like in Linux?

It'll be built in for Windows 10 but until then...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881.aspx

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Looks like it doesn't have the ability to move apps between desktops but I can live with that.

Thanks!

Riders of Brohan
Mar 31, 2011
Can anyone recommend a program to download the audio off of a youtube clip? I've looked into a few programs, but the ones I'm seeing have issues with spyware, or low audio quality.

Thanks!

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero

Riders of Brohan posted:

Can anyone recommend a program to download the audio off of a youtube clip? I've looked into a few programs, but the ones I'm seeing have issues with spyware, or low audio quality.

Thanks!

https://www.4kdownload.com/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Riders of Brohan posted:

Thanks!

http://www.vidtomp3.com/ works well as a web app, but periodically tries to make the MP3 an exe with some poo poo software. If that happens, just refresh for the mp3 link.

keepass still the recommendation for a password manager? I don't have one but I should probably start.

e: Stupid question, but do any key programs have android ability or do you have to just copy them down and manually enter for your tablet/phone?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 8, 2015

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

slidebite posted:

http://www.vidtomp3.com/ works well as a web app, but periodically tries to make the MP3 an exe with some poo poo software. If that happens, just refresh for the mp3 link.

keepass still the recommendation for a password manager? I don't have one but I should probably start.

e: Stupid question, but do any key programs have android ability or do you have to just copy them down and manually enter for your tablet/phone?

Lastpass is a cloud-based pw manager that apparently handles entering your credentials quite well on both android and Windows desktop. While a lot of people like it, I'm still not sold on the idea of having all my passwords hosted somewhere, and I'm not even the paranoid tinfoil hat type.

I stick to Keepass, keeping the database in a dropbox folder on all platforms I use, and using a hard password to protect the database itself and apps on each platform to read/write the database.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been using Lastpass for about 6 months, and it works wonderfully. I've used the security check and password generator to make all my passwords randomized and unique, which is highly recommended. I'm also using Xmarks to sync my bookmarks and tabs, that works great as well.

It is a little bit clunky on Android, maybe I haven't figured out the best way to do use it yet.

Keepass can do all of the same things for free, but it's a lot more work to set up right.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm still not sold on the idea of having all my passwords hosted somewhere, and I'm not even the paranoid tinfoil hat type

quote:

I stick to Keepass, keeping the database in a dropbox folder

Isn't Dropbox "hosted somewhere"? Lastpass has a page here https://lastpass.com/whylastpass_technology.php with a bunch of info about it

Riders of Brohan
Mar 31, 2011

slidebite posted:

Thank you, both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

myron cope posted:

Isn't Dropbox "hosted somewhere"? Lastpass has a page here https://lastpass.com/whylastpass_technology.php with a bunch of info about it
Yeah the database is of course synced to Dropbox servers, but at least you can apply several security measures to your Keepass database file, like adding "123" as master password etc.

• Locked thread