Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The next season of Big Brother hits U.S. TV starting June 25th. The theme for this season is currently unknown, but casting has pointed to this being a season of newbies. However, that could still just be a smokescreen and it'll be some form of returnees. After last season's disaster, it's unclear how gun-shy CBS will be with who they put into the house.

What is Big Brother?

Depending upon your level of appreciation for gross filth, reality TV shenanigans and sometimes excellent strategic gameplay, Big Brother is either the bottom of the TV barrel or an entertaining way to waste the summer. The American version of the Dutch original, Big Brother crams 14-16 people in a soundstage house for approximately 75 days. Each week the players or "Houseguests" will compete in competitions to determine who has power in the house. The one who wins this power, the "Head of Household" (HOH) has the ability to nominate two people for eviction. These two players, the HOH and three other randomly drawn guests will compete in the Power of Veto competition. The winner of this power will have the ability to veto one of the nominations. If one of the nominations is vetoed, the HOH will have to replace the player who was removed. Once the final two nominees are set, the rest of the house will vote to evict one person from the game. The HOH no longer plays a part unless this vote becomes a tie, in which case they will cast a vote to break it. Once the player is evicted, all the guests save for the previous HOH will compete in a new HOH competition and the process will repeat itself.

Each week will follow this model with some minor variations. All through this process viewers are treated to "Diary Room" (DR) sessions, as the producers will privately speak with each player about their gameplay, their thoughts on other players and the game itself. This interview process also gives the DR the ability to affect the players in subtle or not so subtle ways. (Ex: So you won HOH, who will you nominate? Do you trust player X? Why? Do you believe what they say? Do you think you should make a big move? Is nominating player X really a big move?) The best part of this is that their usually comes across on the live feeds, allowing viewers to see from where plans and moves really come.

Strategy will come into play as alliances are made and broken to ensure ones safety. Unlike some shows like Survivor, this gives the chance for those low on the totem pole to gain power and strike back against majority alliances. Approximately 4-5 weeks into the game, all future evicted players will become members of the jury. Once the house reaches the final three, all three Houseguests will compete in three rounds of competition for the final HOH. Once the final HOH is selected, they'll evict the final player. These final two will then go before the jury, who will then select a winner. The various competitions within the house means there are often several opportunities for people to obtain power and exploit it or fake sucking at competitions to fly under the radar. Both strategies often prove successful to various degrees. The strategy sessions among players often prove to be one of the best aspects of the show, as you get a daily running idea of who they are targeting, who they can manipulate to do certain things and ways to ensure they achieve their goals. There is also a generally reliable amount of schadenfreude, as those on the top often hit lows through luck or DR meddling.

Why should I watch?

Perhaps you're a fan or Survivor or Amazing Race or perhaps you've seen one of the other flavors of Big Brother from around the world like the U.K., Canada or Australia. Big Brother U.S. takes many of the same concepts seen in reality competition while also giving one a semi-behind the scenes view of what's really going on. Because the online "live feeds" gives viewers a window into the house for 90% of the week, we can get a good idea of what's really happening with alliances and schemes, what the players are actually like, and what meddling is possibly happening by Big Brother to get certain things to happen. One can then compare that version of reality against what they see on their screens three nights a week on CBS. In past experience, this means that viewers are sometimes treated to racist, homophobic or sexist talk which never makes air. Sometimes this happens to such a degree as to force CBS to acknowledge these actions officially and on air, as was the case last season with Big Brother 15.

Unlike the original Dutch version and several other international versions, the viewing public generally has no part to play in removing players from the game. However they can affect certain punishments through online or phone voting. Big Brother Canada which launched last year, is modeled after the U.S. version with some increased level of viewer participation through online play. This season appears to be borrowing some of that interaction with online votes for punishments and challenges for live feed subscribers.

What should I watch?

If you're interested in looking into past seasons, I personally recommend checking out a couple of seasons to various degrees:

Big Brother 1: Most closely followed the original premise, as viewers voted on who got evicted. The only U.S. season to follow this model.
Big Brother 2: Switched up the format to have the HOH nominate two for eviction and features one of the most highly regarded players in show history.
Big Brother 3: Introduced the Power of Veto, which gave the nominated a better chance to save themselves. BB US took on its present form with this season.
Big Brother 7: The first and only true All Stars season. Featured players from all the previous seasons, and includes one of the fan favorite alliances in show history.
Big Brother 10: General Goon consensus as one of the best seasons, featuring a memorable cast and another contestant in the running for the best in show history.
Big Brother 12: Worthy winner, with some solid gameplay. Features subsequent Survivor player Hayden Moss and unleashed Brenchel, the now married couple of Brendon and Rachel who you might have seen on The Amazing Race.
Big Brother 14: Return of four previous players who act as "Coaches" to newbies. One of the returnees being a fan favorite who displays some of the best gameplay in show history. Also features the brother of Survivor player Russell Hantz, who lives up to the family reputation.

Seasons to avoid:

Big Brother 9: Slap dash writers strike spring season. The winner later went to jail for illegal oxycodone sales, the rest of the cast was all generally horrible.
Big Brother 15: Last season, interesting as a train wreck. The winner played a decent game, but they and most of the players were generally derogatory and deluded people.

Okay, I'm down to watch

If you're interested, you can tune in several ways:

The CBS Show: Airs three nights a week: Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday. Is a compilation version of what has happened in the house with a live Thursday show.
Big Brother After Dark: Airs every night for three hours from around 11-2 on TVGN. Rotates between live feeds, censors language and has commercial breaks.
Live Feeds Online: 24/7 access to the feeds barring ceremonies, competitions and the Thursday live show taping. Also blanks out feeds when some legal issue may arise. i.e. copyrighted song singing or players speaking about someone by name who didn't sign off and allow that.

In addition some viewers provide some clips of memorable moments online. Though CBS is beginning to crack down on these more.

So what do the Live Feeds get you? Four camera feeds from inside the house. Generally two cameras focusing on an area each. Meaning two cameras will cover the same conversation from different angles, while two other cameras cover another conversation. Which room is being covered will be at the mercy of the guys and gals in the control room. They are generally good about switching to conversations/events most at interest strategically or those the most entertaining. It should be noted that live feeds are not required to get a feel for the show or keep up, but it might be of interest to check out one of the previous seasons, then look for live feed clips online to see how it works. If you do find you enjoy a certain player, the feeds give you the ability to see them a lot more, get a better sense of their game and personality.

If you don't get the feeds, you can also still get a daily/hourly/minute by minute run down of what's happening. As several websites post updates on everything that happens on the live feeds within the house. These include:

http://www.hamsterwatch.com
http://www.jokersupdates.com
http://www.onlinebigbrother.com

So if you're interested in going all in, CBS just opened early bird specials for the live feed purchase, with the full season for $23.99:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/live_feed/more_info

The above three sites have also partnered with CBS for signups, which helps support their sites if you sign up for the live feeds through them:

HamsterWatch
JokersUpdates
OnlineBigBrother

Once the season is over, your feed access will terminate several weeks later. It's all automated, so there is no need to worry about cancelling.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Reserved for news and updates.

This year's twist is multi-part:
  • There will be 2 Head Of Household’s each week for some period of time.
  • Each HOH will nominate 2 HouseGuests, meaning there will be four up for eviction each week.
  • Also a new competition named “Battle of the Block” will be held. Through this competition, based on the outcome the HOHs won’t be safe yet from nomination.
  • This season will also feature more fan interaction through voting.
  • There will also be a new interactive twist called “Team America” that will allow America to influence the game like never before.

Current HouseGuests:

Teek fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 25, 2014

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I think my opinion here might be considered weird, and I will preface it by saying that season 6 is not a good season. At the same time, I think it was a season that had a very good first half or so, before it turns terrible.

My opinion is though, that All Stars (season 7) is much more enjoyable after watching at least the first half of season 6. A lot of the all stars cast comes from season 6, and it is a major plot point early in the season. Season 6 has one of the most dislike alliances in the shows history, that still gets referenced in the present game (and even in this season of BB Canada).

For this reason I think that at least the first half of season 6 should be mandatory viewing if we are going to include earlier seasons.

Outside of that, I would say Season 8, and Season 10 are great seasons. Season 1 is borderline unwatchable, and season 2 is so very different from the current format, but it might be worth a watch if you are interested in the history of the show, as it includes one of the players considered greatest of all time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'd says S6 is required viewing to appreciate S7.
I also think its generally an enjoyable watch, at least through the first half. I get why people don't like it, because it is kind of the antithesis of what a lot of people want out of one of these games. But its a pretty impressive show, at least until it stops being so. I think its worth one watch because its kind of Big Brother history with one of BB's biggest and most beloved players and a couple of other interesting players.

I've never seen S1 and I don't care to. I tried to watch it once and just gave up.

Otherwise I think I agree with the assessments. S2 and 3 are different games but great games and required viewing for S7. 4 and 5 are skip able but not bad. 7 is a no brainer. 8 is skip able even if its got a pretty major player, but he wasn't a great player and it wasn't a great season. 9 sucks. 10 is great. 11 has some important people but like 8 not a great game. 12 is a great mix of game and characters and probably up there with 7 and 10. 13 is again, important characters and events, not great game. 14 is cool. 15 should be burned from existence.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 23, 2014

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
I got my email about the limited-time live feed discount today. It mentioned a minor voting thing they're doing differently this year, but I'm not sure if that should be spoilered.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing I read just made it seem like non-game stuff like the music they get woken up to and who does chores. It just sounds like stupid stuff, that we wouldn't even get to watch on live feeds. Not even tasks like BB Canada.

Unless we got different emails/links.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

This page from the OP actually was about those new things:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/live_feed/more_info

Looking at that page now though, it's different from how it was earlier today when I originally posted it. At least the preview images and text has since been changed. The previous images used Aaryn quite a bit. She's since been replaced with Jessie. Pictures of GM were also removed. The text earlier in that day mentioned "Who should be punished by doing the laundry" as well as a mention of tasks, which has since been removed. As described initially, it really sounded close to how BB Canada does it, it's just subscribers who decide rather than the DR. Not sure why that was removed, either because it's still in the works, or there was a change in their plans.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Oh wow, it really is different. I thought it was really strange they were using Aaryn so prominently in the pictures.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
After a couple years of people at work trying to talk me into watching and saying BB is better than Survivor (which I'll never believe), I finally caved and watched last season. I know it was the worst season - but I don't know if I can ever go back after that.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Joose Caboose posted:

After a couple years of people at work trying to talk me into watching and saying BB is better than Survivor (which I'll never believe), I finally caved and watched last season. I know it was the worst season - but I don't know if I can ever go back after that.

Watch 10, feel redeemed

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, not really a good choice as your first season. If you want to start off fresh, I suggest 10 or 12.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Imagine post-merge Survivor but not on a lonely beach but in a cheap hotel resort with horrible people and challenges that give you much more power and produced by people that I would compare to TMC.com with survivor being nytimes.com.

But it can be silly fun.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Was just wondering if the thread was up yet.

Edit: Incase anyone forgets, the greatest champion in the history of Big Brother. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n68kvL87eEo

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 23, 2014

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I think the gimmick might be leaked. It's apparently going to be Blood vs Water styled, with returning players and their family members. People in wrestling noted Sid Vicious, Frank Eudy's (S14) Dad mentioned he was going to be playing on BB this year.

Grain of salt, but with Dick's tweets and this news independant of Reality TV rumor mill, there's probably something to it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

John Cena posted:

I think the gimmick might be leaked.

You know who'd be perfect for that.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

BGrifter posted:

Please, no.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

BGrifter posted:

You can watch her and her sister on survivor this season! Maybe.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It's just too bad she can't be on both. :swoon:

Edit: If it is Elissa and Rachel, they make quite the acting duo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOCQiRaJYuM

Hollywood megastars. :swoon:

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 27, 2014

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
So since it's over: BB Canada 2: worth watching or not?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bobfromsales posted:

Hellllllllll no.

I posted GIFs of the only part worth caring about, Rachel's appearance. You can always find that on YouTube if necessary.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bobfromsales posted:

its good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bobfromsales posted:

As usually BGrifter and I are of the exact opposite opinion. I really enjoyed it and think it produced some genuinely great all time players. There's memorable characters, good strategists and game players, likable underdogs, hateable villains, and one or two moments that would go down in BB history if they happened on a US season. A huge improvement over the first season and a much needed palate cleansing after the poo poo of BB15. I was down on the whole show after last summer before BBCanada and now I'm 99% sure I'm buying the feeds again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah I pretty much loathed the entire cast except for one guy who was a bit of a douchebag and kind of a lovely player but at least modestly fun to watch. Once he went, there wasn't any point continuing. I found more to enjoy from the BB15 cast and consider that one of the worst in the history of the show only edging out BB9.

At least we got a couple fun GIFs out of that shitshow of a season.

What a colossal disappointment he turned out to be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, honestly I've thought all along that a lot of your seething hate for this season was rooted in how Kenny looked like your perfect player going in and turned out to be a complete and total flop. If I went into a season immediately picking a favorite who seemed to be everything I like and he or she just sucked completely it would probably sour me on things too.

Because otherwise I'm not really sure why you hated that season so much. Neda actually kind of struck me as your kind of player. A smart strategist with a detached willingness to lie to anyone to use them who had a bit of an edge and snide opinion of others. And you seem to at least somewhat enjoy the chaotic forces of nature like Sabrina.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I just couldn't get behind anybody. It felt like Big Brother 10 if Dan Gheesling didn't exist, I hated pretty much everybody. The only real enjoyment I was getting out of the season was watching Sabrina inflicted on these people I hate. It wasn't enough to keep me watching when I had a backlog of other shows to catch up on.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k

Bobfromsales posted:

I'd say the first half is worth watching, and then the rest just skim it.

As a somewhat dedicated BBUK and BBAU watcher, I generally have a raging hardon for secret missions and hidden areas and the like, so that tends to sway my tastes in a different direction from most of the others in this thread, though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The second half is good, but one core alliance does dominate it nearly completely. Final three challenge is a great watch though, as is the actual finale. I'd rank it about middle to good tier in comparison with US seasons.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I made it through every season of BBUS except the first one which wasn't really the same show. I did have to start skimming episodes to survive BB9 toward the end, but I watched the whole thing.

BBCAN2 and The Glass House are the only two I bailed on part way through. At least The Glass House gave us attention whoring jackass Prime Time Alex Stein #99 (always on the grind). His RHAP appearances attempting to stuff an entire Big Mac in his mouth at one time or railing lines of strawberry quik like cocaine were more entertaining than anything to come out of BBCAN2 or TGH.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k

BGrifter posted:

I made it through every season of BBUS except the first one which wasn't really the same show. I did have to start skimming episodes to survive BB9 toward the end, but I watched the whole thing.

BBCAN2 and The Glass House are the only two I bailed on part way through. At least The Glass House gave us attention whoring jackass Prime Time Alex Stein #99 (always on the grind). His RHAP appearances attempting to stuff an entire Big Mac in his mouth at one time or railing lines of strawberry quik like cocaine were more entertaining than anything to come out of BBCAN2 or TGH.

My favorite part of The Glass House was the weird Microsoft Kinect voting system of doom. Especially when one of the contestants voted by making the heart symbol with two hands and then broke it in half. I need a gif of that.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

BGrifter posted:

It's just too bad she can't be on both. :swoon:

Edit: If it is Elissa and Rachel, they make quite the acting duo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOCQiRaJYuM

Hollywood megastars. :swoon:
I'd rather see Rachel and Elissa then Rachel and Brendon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm in the minority that really liked Elissa and thought she showed some decent game skills when she wasn't losing her mind or being handcuffed by the Aaryn/Amanda/Helen combo. In a season that wasn't BB15 I think Elissa could have been a good player and even in BB15 she may have been the sole reason Amanda/Aaryn got taken down,

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So a couple of the finalists for the shown have started to talk to Dr. Will which has freak production out.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Actually ordered the feeds early this year instead of partway through like last year.
I was kinda hoping for all new house guests this year, but whatever.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Juanito posted:

I'd rather see Rachel and Elissa then Rachel and Brendon.

I'm interested in which one is the insufferable one when Rachel and Elissa are together and which one keeps it together. I really couldn't even guess.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Spiky Ooze posted:

I'm interested in which one is the insufferable one when Rachel and Elissa are together and which one keeps it together. I really couldn't even guess.

Elissa is always the insufferable one because Queen Rachel is the greatest Big Brother superstar of all time. :swoon:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Yeah I kinda think Rachel will handle pressure better than Elissa.

Regardless I'm sure we'll get to see them cry together.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BGrifter posted:

Elissa is always the insufferable one because Queen Rachel is the greatest Big Brother superstar of all time. :swoon:

I don't think I could take another season of Rachel.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Juanito posted:

sbaldrick posted:

I don't think I could take another season of Rachel.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Juanito posted:

Well, let's be entirely fair; Rachel was an insufferable personality who did pretty well in the game, almost always had Brendon and a few others for support (despite this, she still occasionally broke down a few times), and had to earn the hatred against her during the course of the game game. Meanwhile, Elissa was slightly less insufferable in my opinion, but had a grand total of HELEN to lean on (which quickly became an anvil tied around her ankle), and faced a bizarre amount of vitriol from Week 1 that seemed to go pretty far beyond the typical "god, I hate her so much" stuff. It was just a constant onslaught, and made it uncomfortable for me to watch, heaven forbid being stuck with it for weeks on end. :ohdear:

So while I wouldn't say that it's clear if either one would "handle it" better, I'd definitely argue that it's completely unfair to compare their past performances directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Wee Bairns posted:

Actually ordered the feeds early this year instead of partway through like last year.
I was kinda hoping for all new house guests this year, but whatever.

What are you talking about? Did I miss something? The Elissa/Rachel talk is about another show.

• Locked thread