Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

*Actually, for the first time in 10 years, the smart money says someone other than Rafa will win, that someone being Novak Djokovic. Nole won their last meeting, 1 week ago on clay at the Rome Masters.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/index.html

The tournament begins Sunday, May 25 and ends Sunday, June 8. TV coverage starts at 5am ET everyday on ESPN2 with additional coverage available on https://www.watchespn.com. I personally prefer listening to the website/app radio streams since Chris Fowler and Mike Tirico are not good tennis commentators.

Here are the top seeds. Withdrawals include the constantly injured Juan Martin del Potro on the men's side and scream queen Victoria Azarenka on the women's side.

Top 10 Men's Betting Favorites

Rafael Nadal 13/10
Novak Djokovic 11/8
Stanislas Wawrinka 6/1
Kei Nishikori 16/1
Roger Federer 18/1
Andy Murray 20/1
David Ferrer 20/1
Grigor Dimitrov 50/1
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 50/1
Tomas Berdych 50/1

Top 10 Women's Betting Favorites

Serena Williams 5/4
Maria Sharapova 4/1
Li Na 9/2
Simona Halep 8/1
Ana Ivanovic 16/1
Sara Errani 20/1
Agnieszka Radwanska 25/1
Petra Kvitova 25/1
Dominika Cibulkova 33/1
Eugenie Bouchard 33/1

edit: :siren: BIG NEWS :siren: Since the draw has come out, Djoker is now the favorite to win over Rafa.

Updated Top 10 Men's Betting Favorites

Novak Djokovic 11/8
Rafael Nadal 3/2
Stanislas Wawrinka 9/1
Roger Federer 18/1
Andy Murray 20/1
David Ferrer 20/1
Kei Nishikori 25/1
Grigor Dimitrov 50/1
Tomas Berdych 50/1
Fabio Fognini 66/1
Nicolas Almagro 66/1

Updated Top 10 Men's Betting Favorites

Serena Williams 6/5
Li Na 9/2
Maria Sharapova 11/2
Simona Halep 10/1
Ana Ivanovic 16/1
Petra Kvitova 25/1
Sara Errani 25/1
Agnieszka Radwanska 33/1
Angelique Kerber 40/1
Sam Stosur 40/1

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
Hoping one of Nishikori/Raonic/Dimitriv can continue their good form at the French. I am getting anxious for some fresh blood to threaten for the top spots.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I can't believe Kei Nishikori is so highly considered by the people who make the bet lines. I realize he has done well this year but the man is coming off an injury and I don't think he's got what it takes to beat the better players over five sets. If Nadal doesn't win, I can't see anyone but Djokovic taking it. Maybe Wawrinka has an outside shot but he hasn't looked great since Monte Carlo. I would like to see the younger guys do well but I have no real faith in any of them.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Very sad to see another Swiss ranked ahead of Roger :(

He's going to retire this year or next, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Very sad to see another Swiss ranked ahead of Roger :(

He's going to retire this year or next, right?
It probably depends on how he does at Wimbledon. If he gets knocked out in R16, he might decide to hang it up, but if he makes a run at the title, it might drive him to give it one more shot.

If he's seeded 3/4 and is taken out in the semis by Rafa, that could also lead him to retirement.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Brackets are out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_French_Open_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles (men)

Looks like a tougher draw for Nadal, he has Ferrer, Murray and Wawrinka on his side while Djokovic has Federer and Berdych (though he could meet Tsonga in R16 as well)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_French_Open_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_Singles (women)

Actually a bit of a tough draw for Serena, she may face Venus in the 3rd round and Sharapova in the QFs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope Nadal loses.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Nadal's draw doesn't look to bad actually. There is no one in his quarter who can really challenge him. I know some of the people have beaten him this year but there is no way they do it over five sets. Murray and Wawrinka have to play each other first so he only has to play one of the two. Murray looked good at Rome but you never know how he'll do on clay. Wawrinka has been up and down all year so who knows with him either. I would like to see Dimitrov do well in that half but I think his ceiling is the fourth round. He's gotten better but I think Ferrer on clay is to solid for him.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

This is the year Michael Chang makes a comback.

I'm on the anyone-but-Nadal boat, only because the French is the second best major (after the US Open) and I'm tired of it being a one man show.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Can't wait! Tomorrow it begins :france:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO3IQtW8Dlc

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

No 1st day matches that really interest me. Guess I'll just listen to Radio Roland Garros. :smith:

edit: :siren: Djoker is the betting favorite since the draws came out :siren:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 25, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remembered to make my picks for the Tennis Channel brackets at literally the 11th hour.

Men: Rafa over Murray, Djoker over Fed; Djoker over Rafa :getin:

Women: Serena over Schiavone, Li over Ivanovic; Serena over Li

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
hmm, looks like Youzhny was in big trouble before this Spanish guy started cramping.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Was trying to see if I can watch the Niculescu & Kanepi match but it doesn't look like ESPN has any streams at all. Must be Tennis Channel for the initial rounds. Niculescu has a goofy slice forehand that's interesting to watch.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Down with people who uses fractional odds!

Surprised how many top people are out on the first day compared to previous years.

ITV's coverage is bad as expected. I'm guessing all the other courts are on Eurosport.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Wawrinka is 2-1 down in sets and a break down in the forth. Too many errors and this could be the second big shock of the tournament.

e: Oh for fucks sake. This is last years Stan.

e2: And a bagel in forth set. Come to think of it, he's been poo poo since he beat Federer in Monaco.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 26, 2014

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Yeah, that's such a huge disappointment. That and Nishikori out, although he's still not recovered from his Madrid injury, they were two of the most interesting challengers this time around, it kind of sucks they're both out already.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.
Haven't been able to watch any yet but drat Stanislas and Nishikori already out? That sucks.

Basically go Li Na and not-Rafa!

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Go Milos & Eugenie :canada:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

God the results today were really disappointing. I don't mind Nishikori losing because Klizan has a pretty fun game to watch. Stan losing sucks though. I had high hopes for him to at least do pretty good but then he goes and just shits the bed so bad.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

ChaosReaper posted:

God the results today were really disappointing. I don't mind Nishikori losing because Klizan has a pretty fun game to watch. Stan losing sucks though. I had high hopes for him to at least do pretty good but then he goes and just shits the bed so bad.

Seriously, that was all time bad. The last Australien Open winner to lose in the 1st round of the French Open was Petr loving Korda in 1998. Ugh.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
Someone in the press room wasn't paying attention, and inadvertently kicked Nicolas Mahut while he was down in the press room:

quote:

MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q: Congratulations.
MAHUT: Congratulations? I lost.

Q: You lost? OK, so what happened out there?
MAHUT: Are you serious? Did you watch the match?

Q: No I didn't. I was told that you won, I'm sorry.
MAHUT: Questions in French, please.

Yeah, Mahut actually got dumped 3-6 7-6 3-6 4-6 by Mikhail Kukushkin. So, that would be an oops on the reporter's part, and while I'll grant that the opening rounds of a Grand Slam may contain more matches than one person can reasonably see at a time, you should at least pull out your phone and check the result before you go into a presser.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Do they doping test in tennis?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Slaapaav posted:

Do they doping test in tennis?
Yes. There was a guy who was banned from tennis for a year for not taking a test, but there were some legitimate procedural issues, and it wasn't clear that he was just trying to get away with doping.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Dimitrov in trouble against Dr. Ivo. 4/6 5/7 6/5* :regd09:

:staredog: Kiki Mladenovic up a break in final set against Na

EDIT Wava out, Kei out, Dimitrov out :allears:

EDIT2 Li Na is out! #2 goes in first round against Kiki :aaaaa:

First time both men & women AO champs out in first round in RG

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 27, 2014

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Goddamn this is already one of the most disappointing French Opens. Almost all of the people I was hoping would have a good showing are already out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

But did you listen coffee and chocolate chat on radio RG?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Li and Dimitrov have ruined the day before it got going.

Josh Lyman posted:

But did you listen coffee and chocolate chat on radio RG?

They always talk about loving food on the official radio. Last year it was all about biscuits.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Ana Ivanovic cruising against Garcia so far. Ana's had a great year so far and doesn't panic as much as she used too. I think she can go pretty deep this year.

In other news: Wozniacki up a break against Wickmayer. :denmark: :fuckoff: Rory

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

ChaosReaper posted:

Goddamn this is already one of the most disappointing French Opens. Almost all of the people I was hoping would have a good showing are already out.
Don't worry, Federer will beat Rafa in the final.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

haha this is cute :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YskqvyX1W7M

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Never change, Wozniacki.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Best looking match of the tournament is happening right now, Goerges vs. Bouchard.

Capt. Supermarket
Sep 30, 2007
Holy poo poo, Serena down 4-1 after dropping the first set? Is she injured or something?

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Serena? :stare:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The results so far are more shocking than last years Wimbledon, where at least most of the big seeds went down swinging.

Sharapova is doing a happy dance right now.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Man there is something in the water this year. It's been a crazy ride on the men and women's side and this tournament is proving to be the same. If Nadal goes out anytime soon, then it will probably be the craziest tournament we've seen in years.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Haha wow, I thought it was interesting that Venus and Serena could meet as early as the 3rd round, I would never have expected both of them to go out before then.

Milos and Eugenie both through to R3 :getin: Milos' bracket has opened up nicely with both Nishikori and Dolgopolov going out. Though it looks like Simon has been playing really well through the first couple matches so that could still be a tough one...

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I still can't believe that really happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It was Taylor Townsend who was told by the USTA to get in shape a while back right? She is shockingly big now. It looks like she ate Cornet.

• Locked thread