Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The markets absolutely hate being given a 1.5 trillon free dollars because they only care about purestrain gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008
New Zealand, that libertarian bastion, is at it again

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I was so distracted by Ron Paul's bullshit that I completely glossed over this perfect gem:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/no_author/government-is-no-match-for-the-coronavirus/ posted:

Americans consider regulators and government to be sacrosanct, but in fact government agencies are slow and often fail us. Think of the FAA, which allowed Boeing engineers to bypass basic engineering standards, resulting in the crash of two Boeing 737 Max airliners and the grounding of 900 planes around the world.

See? If we didn't have government doing nothing, Boeing wouldn't have .. er .. done .. the exact .. :suicide:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

See? If we didn't have government doing nothing, Boeing wouldn't have .. er .. done .. the exact .. :suicide:

You don't get it! Without the putrid, oppressive hand of the state Boeing would never have dared cut corners and the MAX would have been flawless. But as soon as you introduce FEDERAL LAWS the good men at Renton had no choice but to try and circumvent them and do things half-assed out of principle. This was proved in the factual socio-economic study 'Atlas Shrugged' which [faaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrtt]

Edit to add two questions for Jrod/polymathy if they show up again:

1) Remember a few pages back when you said that workers take no risks when they become employees? Who's taking the bigger risk now - the person working the tills in a supermarket full of people panic-buying toilet roll and handwash, having hundreds of people potentially coughing viruses into their face and who risks either being forced to isolate at home with little/no sick pay and/or will be laid off when the economy goes tits-up* or the CEO of the supermarket who doesn't go anywhere near the shop floor, lives in a big house in the country, has private health insurance and whose company will probably get a bail-out or credit guarantee when the economy goes tits-up?

* Situation doesn't apply to filthy statist countries that have already announced stipends, benefits increases, mortgage holidays, suspension of utility bills etc. funded from the public purse, such as libertarian paradise New Zealand.

2) How is New Zealand close to the economic libertarian ideal?

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 17, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

While we await for the inevitable return of Jrod, I found a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-sbFNk1mPw&t=964s

Richard Wolff is one of a handful of actual Marxist Economists teaching in America.

Edit: Here is a timestamped version for you Jrod.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 17, 2020

Caros
May 14, 2008

polymathy posted:

What's good Caros. No corona virus for me. I'm not too worried about it either, I think it's being massively overhyped in the media. What do you think?

Just wanted to call back to this from last week.

My foster kid is off school for the next six months (minimum) due to school closures, my best friend had her semester cancelled early, my partner is working half hours from home and the borders of my country have closed.

In a week.

Just wanted to drive home how incredible it is that jrod can be. Wrong on basically any topic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The market would have closed your country even faster.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I have yet to see a discussion of "in the media" by a Libertarian or right-wing personality which isn't meant to be read as "by the (((media elites)))"

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/no_author/disease-x-just-arrived/

I just loving can't with this anymore.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Caros posted:

Just wanted to call back to this from last week.

My foster kid is off school for the next six months (minimum) due to school closures, my best friend had her semester cancelled early, my partner is working half hours from home and the borders of my country have closed.

In a week.

Just wanted to drive home how incredible it is that jrod can be. Wrong on basically any topic.

If he manages to get through this pandemic and still be libertarian there's no hope for him. But I'm exited to learn about how the free market would've managed this crisis instead of burning to the ground.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Alhazred posted:

If he manages to get through this pandemic and still be libertarian there's no hope for him. But I'm exited to learn about how the free market would've managed this crisis instead of burning to the ground.

I'd love to hear his explanation as to how, no, actually, this crisis was caused by the too much government intervention into bladdity bloopity blippity bloo.

However, I'd like to see whether jrod goes full Hitler saying that we should just allow all those people to die for it is the divine will of Almighty Market, its Hand be Proud and Generous.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'd love to hear his explanation as to how, no, actually, this crisis was caused by the too much government intervention into bladdity bloopity blippity bloo.

probably something like this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETgFUJFU8AEXoK7?format=jpg&name=medium

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, but the problem isn't that Trump intervened too much, it is that he has done almost nothing at all to stop the spread.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Why are you trying to use facts and logic on libertarians? :confused:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xarn posted:

Why are you trying to use facts and logic on libertarians? :confused:

I'm trying to bait jrod to come back to the thread.

Caros
May 14, 2008

quote:

Many responses to the problem of evil involve libertarian freedom theodicies. These theodicies are weakened by the fact that one of the following propositions is false:

Everyone in heaven has libertarian freedom.

It is impossible for anyone in heaven to not be loving.

If it is impossible for anyone in heaven to not be loving, then no one in heaven has libertarian freedom.

Please state which of these propositions you disagree with, and why you think the problem of evil can be refuted even when this proposition is rejected.

I go into more detail regarding libertarian freedom theodicies here:

I know this isn't what he means by the term libertarian freedom, but some small part of me smiled at the idea that the fact that libertarians exist is proof that there is no benevolent god.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Where are the libertarian supermen coming forward to help the communities that need them in this time of crisis

Where are the libertarian billionaires stepping up to tackle this great threat to humanity

Where are they

Were we too mean to them

Are they taking their planet and going home

Help us understand Jrod they're supposed to be saving us why aren't they saving us

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Somfin posted:

Where are the libertarian supermen coming forward to help the communities that need them in this time of crisis

Where are the libertarian billionaires stepping up to tackle this great threat to humanity

Where are they

Were we too mean to them

Help us understand Jrod they're supposed to be saving us why aren't they saving us

We taxed them too high! They have been left bled dry or any resources OR willpower.

Otherwise they would have invented atmosphere puriifiers that cleanse the whole planet of every pathogen already, and built entire health centers where physicians compete to cure the most people for the cheapest fee!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Looks like we have the libertarian response to coronavirus

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1241799144559251456?s=21

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bobby Digital posted:

Looks like we have the libertarian response to coronavirus

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1241799144559251456?s=21

https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1239551403074433025

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Why would a libertarian save humanity knowing they'll never get the infinity money they deserve in return? Give Captain Industry all your (and everybody's) cash and maybe he'll deign himself to start work on the cure, or at least a marketing campaign assuring the public he has the cure but The Man won't let him sell it for a fair price.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has that been updated since
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1241780756617273345

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Leofler, Burr and Feinstein are the true libertarian heroes of all this

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Leofler, Burr and Feinstein are the true libertarian heroes of all this

Here's what billionaires are doing during all this instead of helping

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Quick! Someone spit in his face!

Excuse me? To get him sick? Sure, why not.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

*with extremely puzzled looking face*: "what makes you think we're not helping?"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

oh and to answer the question of what our benevolent billionaires are doing to make up for the government's lovely response:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1240486275892662273

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the Tesla Model F Ventilator, powered by two huge clusters of vape batteries (guaranteed to be pulled from the “mostly okay” bucket around the back of the Gigafactory) positioned right up against your face

the batteries are to power the “hilariously” elaborate LED mustache on the mask face. the actual filter is a cutout circle from a coffee maker filter

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Yeah I'm fine with Elon just showering buckets of cash on 3m for this emergency.

Let the soulless corp handle this one you diamond crazy

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

https://mises.org/wire/why-we-need-free-markets-fight-pandemics posted:

Allowing prices to work in healthcare is of the most vital necessity. Rather than the crude strategy of canceling care not considered “urgent” while stockpiling resources in preparation for the worst, it is better to allow resources to be directed to where they are most needed via the price mechanism

Yes - it is "better to allow" a rich person wanting a non-essential medical service to purchase that, than retask those resources towards less-worthy things like keeping the poor alive.

loving libertarians.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Somfin posted:

Where are they

Were we too mean to them

Well obviously this wouldn't be a problem if we just let the free market decide how much social distancing is necessary

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Is it possible that the virus has mixed its labor with Rands bloodstream already? In that case it has a legitimate claim to it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
New Zealand, Libertarian superparadise, is moving into full lockdown for a month as of tomorrow. I'm sure this government imposed rapid removal of almost all core personal freedoms (like movement and talking to people IRL) is completely in line with our libertarian philosophy.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
While we wait for the return of our good friend Jrog, sort by controversial:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/fnldcb/capitalism_isnt_a_free_market_ideology/

Also lol the Pauls

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

While we wait for the return of our good friend Jrog, sort by controversial:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/fnldcb/capitalism_isnt_a_free_market_ideology/

Also lol the Pauls

i was sort of with that guy in the first post, but this post:

quote:

Black markets aren’t free markets, they’re distorted by the fact that they are based on illegal commodities. Prices, availability, competition, etc. You cannot genuinely think that’s a free market.

is kind of weird. black markets are markets that by definition have no government involvement, so technically wouldn't it be the closest thing to a 'free market' that exists?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No they're right, black markets are defined by their illegality, by the weight of the monopolistic nature of the open market on the rest of society, and this distorts the way they work.

What's loving wild is that a libertarian is saying that and then, presumably, in the next breath, completely disavowing the notion that large corporate entitites could possibly have a similar effect.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

No they're right, black markets are defined by their illegality, by the weight of the monopolistic nature of the open market on the rest of society, and this distorts the way they work.

What's loving wild is that a libertarian is saying that and then, presumably, in the next breath, completely disavowing the notion that large corporate entitites could possibly have a similar effect.

then it looks like I'M the one that doesn't know what a free market is, as i thought that was a market devoid of government regulation.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

JaaaaayRoodddddd...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mr Interweb posted:

then it looks like I'M the one that doesn't know what a free market is, as i thought that was a market devoid of government regulation.

Well the government is 'regulating' the black market in that it's attempting to shut it down and imprison those who use it on either end of the transaction. In the true free Libertopia there won't be any black markets because nothing will be illegal to sell, which will unleash the unfettered glory of the free market by letting you one-stop shop for a rocket launcher, a kilo of coke, and some child slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, like, the fact that it is illegal lumps it in with things that are illegal for good reason, and concentrates that, hence why making drugs illegal actually does make them really bad, because it means they're used to fund all sorts of hosed up poo poo, the distribution method is dangerous, and encourages the production method to be absolutely horrific too. Whereas when you could get heroin from the chemist there was a lot less harm being done at all levels.

Drugs aren't illegal because they're bad, for the most part they're bad because they're illegal. So the rationale that the black market does not reflect an ideal market is fine and good. What's wrong is suggesting that "so ban gubermint" is the logical solution as if the government is the only thing that has deleterious effects on the distribution of goods.