Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My Koch thread has kind of died off, but this is relevant here:

"Fred was among the John Birch Society's national leaders; Charles joined in due time Birchers who grew enamored with a colorful anti-government guru named Robert LeFevre, creator of a libertarian mecca called the Freedom School in Colorado's Rampart mountain range. From here, Charles fell in with the fledgling libertarian movement, a volatile stew of anarchists, devotees of the "Austrian school" of economics, and other radical thinkers who could agree on little besides an abiding disdain for government." From "Sons of Wichita"

Charles Koch isn't just the kid of a Bircher he is a Bircher.

So the money behind one of the Libertarian factions / Tea Party, is straight from a John Birch Society member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

No, there will always be profit in providing services that exclude minorities.

I heard something on the radio yesterday explaining how a policies involving red lining made racism a rational response to incentives ( I think was on "Tell Me More"). If a neighborhood was deemed transitional, which it was if even a single African American family moved in, nobody (of any race) in the neighborhood could get a loan any more causing property values to precipitously drop. This created a large and very real incentive to prevent any African Americans from moving in neighborhoods else ones house becomes worthless.

So it's worse than just "profit in providing". It's "profit in providing" while creating a systemic situation that compels what otherwise might be ambivalent segments of the public to participate in the systemic racism or be directly harmed thus perpetuating or even multiplying the racism. Then I get really depressed when I realize the charter school movement or school choice movement are doing something similar (albeit via class standing in for outright racism) and that I may be confronted with that very choice in a few years.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm waiting for that word to pop up in a news show. I keep hearing the libertarian think tank guys on as commentators (even on NPR). They always seem to give it away with the "because Liberty" line of argument, they appeal to praxeology without ever saying action axiom or praxeology. I occasionally hear hosts push back, but none of them push back with specific questions that use the libertarian language.

I think it could be really interesting, to have one of the think tankers or hell even one of the Paul's get asked something like: "You're appealing to the action axiom, why don't you tell us a bit about praxeology?"

They can't not answer it because the different ways they interpret Mises are the fault lines between the different Libertarian groups, so dodging it would be harmful to their faction to not answer. And it's not like they'd want to dodge it, these ideologies are all about "education" spreading the good word of freedom. I don't think it matters if they perceived it as coming from a hostile source or as a friendly sympathetic question either.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's some three times before the cock crows level denial for them to do that. Is it even a something that would be on their radar as needing to dodge? I mean the Scientologists they know the Zenu poo poo is out there. I don't think the libertarians know the praxeology stuff is out there. I mean to some of them it's the American ideal (and there was that Koch editorial saying as much). I think some of them might even take it as a "now is the time to talk about this moment" spontaneously occurring if the circumstances were right.

And yeah I saw Tell Me More got cancelled. I've been hearing a lot about African American Churches telling members not to donate to NPR over it. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/28/316712350/church-group-announces-boycott-of-npr-over-tell-me-more-cancellation

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The "Seasteading" crap always irritates me.

Mostly it's because it's very obvious that they haven't done even the most basic thought necessary for the whole thing. Look at an image like this one:

Ok you got a gear less multipurpose vessel delivering supplies. How's that going to work. Do you have container cranes? (No) Do you have a safe port / safe berth? (No, how exactly is that multipurpose vessel going to tie up) Who would issue warranties for those things you need to get? (Marine Insurers) What are they going to require for those things? (you're probably going to have to talk to a classification society) What types of things are you going to need to do that? (probably going to have to pick a flag state). Welp now the whole premise is hosed. Even better they know this already, they've already picked which Flags of Convenience they want to use, which means governments and annual flag state inspections. If you're flagged you're part of a country. They've also thought about port states, thus another government involved.

If they go "we are our flag" well then they are the same as unflagged. Which is to say any state can just do whatever the gently caress they want to them, it's as if they were pirates.
http://cimsec.org/sea-based-nations-and-sovereignty-what-makes-a-nation-state/

And what's the design life of comparable vessel? (say an oil rig) 25-ish years. Most vessels that age have corrosion issues (even if they have impressed current systems and good coatings), ships and other floating structures basically need to go to shipyards eventually to renew steel and to get repainted. Seawater is really hard on steel, well not just steel everything, it eats poo poo up.

And how much money is all this going to take? An oil rig costs what? 600-650 million. A panamax (new) was in the neighborhood of 180 million, last time I checked. That's a large amount of capital. What about crewing and maintenance? (Those costs are really going to poo poo in their mouths too). So between the initial cost (which will come years to a decades before the thing is built) and maintenance and fuel (and bunkering operations costs) and crewing, and all the logistics needed for a city of people and shipyard visits how much money will this thing need to make just to stay afloat (rather literally) over it's probably 25 year lifespan just to get the initial capital back and to keep running?

And even if one looks at their internal (very generous) estimates on these costs it's still bat poo poo.
http://www.seasteading.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Floating-City-Project-Report-4_25_2014.pdf

Their estimates for an oil rig type platform are in the 225 million upfront capital costs range and 8.35 million annual operating cost range. These are lovely estimates too, when one starts picking at the details you see things like only 8 deck crew and no engineers. I wonder how those generators, HVAC, waste treatment plant will do without engineers. And only two 1000 KW generators? gently caress most vessels I board have three 1000 KW generator, usually one of those is running at a time, two when deck machinery (like cranes) is working. That's with a crew of 10-25 and systems designed to support a crew of 10-25. They are assuming 500 Kw average power usage, this is a low, low, assumption for 360 people (frankly it's a poo poo assumption). Fuel costs will be much higher. When one starts looking at systems cost estimates, things look wonky too. Why do all these systems (in the Texas shipyard quote) each cost a round million dollars? Did no one bother to look at SNAME (Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers) publications? There are equations where one puts in basic information about the systems size, type, industrial inflation rate, etc, and it spits out a cost estimate, too me this looks like somebody just went, meh a million bucks is a nice estimate, lets go with that. It's indicative of that even the most basic system level design questions weren't asked.

And their internal estimates are: 500-2500$ (or more and just upfront to buy in) a square foot with 56% of the people interested making less than 50,000 USD a year and 96% percent making less than 250,000 USD a year.

And the Delta-sync modular 50m X 50m platforms secured together? What happens when weather hits. How that going to work when you see your first force 10? That type of weather looks like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3kFCgvKp4 But, but, but, we'll start in sheltered waters, good luck when whatever nations coast guard tells you it's time to get the gently caress out because a hurricane is coming.

That video is an ~12000 NRT ship with a propulsion plant (it's a small bulker probably can go 10-15 knots). None of those seasteading platforms are going to have propulsion plants (because that costs money a lot of money). They're going to need tugs to move. Tugs aint cheap either. A rear end load of tugs all at once will be necessary "Integrated propulsion is probably too expensive, so we would need to have tugboats ready at a moments notice to mobilize the whole city". Read, we'll probably be hosed and unable to get out of the storm.

There is a Hemingway quote: "He was too simple to wonder when he had attained humility. But he knew he had attained it and he knew it was not disgraceful and it carried no loss of true pride". Anyone who has been to sea, really been to sea, can recognize that the ocean can force humility on us. Vessels are essentially floating skyscrapers subjected to constant dynamic force of unknown highest potential magnitude. Casting all my doubts aside as to plausibility for a moment what I don't doubt is that the ocean would eventually humble a project like this. I've personally been in 50ft seas. I know people who claim to have been in 100ft (!) seas.

poo poo can get like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24OlTL10ObU

Seasteading would end up like that train in that Rand book. Except everybody who dies would there because of their libertarian ideals. "And they will not actually try to stop us until it’s too late.” - Peter Thiele.

Best part, Maritime disasters almost always end up resulting in life saving regulation (and there is very long history of this). So at least there would be a good eulogy for selfish pride.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Aren't their actual "business friendly" places like that already? With names like "Free Trade Zones" or "Economic Opportunity Areas" that type of thing. Places with reduced regulatory burdens or that don't have the normal import export tariffs or that just don't have customs inspections, I think there is quite a lot of variability in what they get out of having to do and that they are all over the place.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

Where did you have in mind? Situations where tariffs are waived are pretty common but not so much other things.

Yeah it's the tariff / customs thing mostly. But mostly I just keep hearing about the drat things, and it's seems like every new one is different. Some of them seem to be just big versions of a bonded customs warehouse, some of them are places where final assembly of parts from multiple nations occur. Every time I pick up an economist (I know, there's my problem) I seem to see an article about the things. There always seems to be a new term for the area and there always seems to be a new incentive being tried.

I would normally call these areas "liberal" (in the sense the Economist is liberal not American liberal) but not Libertarian, but I have this general (and frankly nebulous) perception that they seem to be tending towards more Libertopia-ish as time progress. I really should follow it more closely. I'm in and out of these types of areas all the time.

Edit: To be clear I do think they have a purpose in many cases. I'm all to familiar with the problems involved in import/export.

Pope Fabulous XXIV posted:

*I cannot tell if the Kochs are cynical or not. :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure Charles and David Koch are true believers. Digging to the Koch newsletters I found honest to god young Charles Koch parables. They even have assembled a canon : http://www.kochind.com/Newsroom/EconomicFreedom.aspx.

From a review of Sons of Wichita in the Times:

Sunday Book Review posted:

They have sincere political views that go beyond being just a cover for their companies’ interest in lower taxes and fewer regulations, and many of their political activities have been right out in the open, rather than lurking in the shadows. He seems to be almost in awe of Charles, the most mysterious of the brothers, who runs Koch Industries by a system he devised called Market-Based Management. Summarizing, but not dissenting from, the views of Charles’s employees, Schulman calls him “a near-mythic figure, a man of preternatural intellect and economic prowess,” adding: “He is unquestionably powerful, but unfailingly humble; elusive, but uncomplicated; cosmopolitan, yet thoroughly Kansan.”

Additionally the fight between the brothers over KII, was in large part over Charles' devotion to Libertarianism (in addition to a good helping of sibling rivalry fostered by the father). Two of the brothers basically thought: We could be making more money if we weren't giving it away to this Libertarian crap. It got really nasty and there is a whole book on it now. But this is a pretty good summary (I posted it earlier because it confirmed Charles was a John Birch Society member.)
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/koch-brothers-family-history-sons-of-wichita

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 10, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There is an ask/tell maritime industry thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393222

Buncha sailors / various maritime academy grads on SA.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NPR had a story on Asa Earl Carter this weekend.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/20/151037079/the-artful-reinvention-of-klansman-asa-earl-carter

Asa Carter is the guy who wrote many of the speeches of the segregation movement, most importantly the speech. He's the guy who wrote "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever" for George Wallace. A really awful person, so extreme right that often the extreme right groups weren't radical enough and he'd break off and form his own. The show is about a book he wrote later (apparently he felt betrayed by Wallace and dropped off the map) while pretending to be a Native American storyteller.

So why is this person relevant to a thread about Libertarians. Well he used to host a radio show. The title floored me. "On Liberty"

The intersection of some of the roots of talk radio, the hate of the segregationists, and Libertarianism all expressed in one person.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Anyway, at the end of the NPR piece one of Carter's friend from the bad old days insisted that the point of The Education of Little Tree is actually a quasi-libertarian (or neo-Confederate, if you please) one where the villains are all Meddlesome Government Men and the heroes all Independent Free Men on the Land Individuals Seeking Only to Live in Peace.

I'm inclined to think the friends interpretation, that he had not changed, was correct. There were a bunch of dog whistle words in the discussion of The Education of Little Tree that most people would miss. A big one would be "The Way". So these Cherokee grandparents instill "The Way" in little tree's soul.

It's not just government vs free individuals. It's rejection of "meddling government", to be a "Independent Free Men on the Land" is to follow "The Way" and to have "The Way" in ones soul. So it's clear, "The Way" is an early Christian term for Jesus. I look at that and then I look at that Brat guy that just knocked out Cantor and what he has to say about libertarianism, economics, and Jesus and I get more worried.

In other-words I think it is genuine, in so far as this really is Asa Carter speaking authentically about what he believes. But that what he believes, that Liberty (as defined by Libertarianism) is The Way is a very long con. One still very present in the Tea Party. I really need to read the book.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 17, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Strike me as you just seeing what you always see, in everything, at all times.

Of course, because I'm always looking for it, because everything has to be about that to me. I've figured out what I have in common with these people and it's this. I can also see that it blinds them to that they are saying (and in some cases doing) some of the most horrific things. I so very quickly see what Forrest Carter was doing, because I know how that way of thinking works, because I think in a related way (with some important differences). Why does he have to project Libertarianism / and his particular Christianity onto the Cherokee? Why do I have see everything as about God? Those aren't different questions.

When these Libertarians talk about philosophy starting with Aristotle, they squarely identify themselves as being in Platonism / Neo-Platonism. Well that's also in conservative Christianity. Take something like the conservative way of thinking about "rapture" it looks quite a lot like this: "the righteous human being left behind its lesser parts (body and soul) on the earth and the moon, and rose straight toward the world of the forms in the celestial region. (a description of Origen's writings) That's also Neo-Platonism (and there are many more examples I could go into). It's actually a bit weird how it's so wide spread in denominations that are Calvinist. Anyway it's ends up with a unity having to explain everything. My suspicion is that this commonality is how the Libertarianism has weaseled it's way in.

But me "seeing what you always see, in everything, at all times" is a direct consequence of my participating in a variation of this too, via theistic monism (specifically Logocentric Trinitarian Christianity). Where I think I dodge the bullet train to blinded by ideals crazy town, is that well, the bread is also just bread. I also participate in the negation of this type of idealism.

We'll see if that's enough. If it isn't bust out the popcorn because at the very least it'll be interesting to watch.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have to wonder about how "Forrest" apparently shed, or at least deeply concealed, most/all of his revolting and overt racism and anti-Semitism from when he was still Asa

Why do people believe in the myths/stories/ideals they believe in? Because some part of those myths/ideals are real and human. I think that's the part of Mr. Carter that he is showing us in "Education of Little Tree". I've been browsing discussion guides and commentary about the story, this story may end up being as useful to me as looking at the Kochs in figuring this Libertarianism business out.

Edit: and that's what I wanted find out from Jrodenfeld that he refused to go into, I wanted to get at the real and human part.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 18, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

New York had a long piece on Ted Cruz by Jeffery Toobins:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/06/30/140630fa_fact_toobin?currentPage=all

The most interesting part to me.

Article posted:

“In both law and politics, I think the essential battle is the meta-battle of framing the narrative,” Cruz told me. “As Sun Tzu said, Every battle is won before it’s fought. It’s won by choosing the terrain on which it will be fought. So in litigation I tried to ask, What’s this case about? When the judge goes home and speaks to his or her grandchild, who’s in kindergarten, and the child says, ‘Paw-Paw, what did you do today?’ And if you own those two sentences that come out of the judge’s mouth, you win the case.

“So let’s take Medellín as an example of that,” Cruz went on. “The other side’s narrative in Medellín was very simple and easy to understand. ‘Can the state of Texas flout U.S. treaty obligations, international law, the President of the United States, and the world? And, by the way, you know how those Texans are about the death penalty anyway!’ That’s their narrative. That’s what the case is about. When Justice Kennedy comes home and he tells his grandson, ‘This case is about whether a state can ignore U.S. treaty obligations,’ we lose.

“So I spent a lot of time thinking about, What’s a different narrative to explain this case? Because, as you know, just about every observer in the media and in the academy thought we didn’t have a prayer. This is a hopeless case.”

I've been arguing across threads that this libertarian stuff is a religion. Other less loaded ways to say the same thing might be to talk about their use/appropriation of myth, story, national ideal or to use Mr. Cruz's language their use of "meta-narratives." This isn't peculiar to Mr. Cruz either. Roger Ailes does this with Fox. The Kochs do this with their funding of university programs and SuperPac ads. Even down to the small fry, I think Jrodenfeld was trying to do this with his thread.

Mr. Cruz is giving away the game (and I suspect he knows this and just doesn't care, thinking that the rest of us won't see it). They aren't doing this just in one area, to one idea either. They want the narrative of Christianity to be Libertarianism. They want the narrative of the Republican party (and / or conservatism) to be Libertarian. They want the want the story/myth of the United States to be one of Libertarianism. If one looks at the way they bring cases to the Supreme Court recently it's the same re-define the narrative tactic. (as I write this, it seems they just won the Hobby Lobby thing) http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_30_2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Is this really unique to libertarian movements though? Every time I hear someone say "Libertarianism is a religion", and then point to a figure like Cruz or Rothbard, it doesn't really contribute to anything. The use of myth and narrative as populist motivators is widespread across pretty much every political or ideological movement, including the status quo.

No it's not in anyway unique. I think the status quo in something like foreign policy, realism, is a religion too (but I would argue that realism is not a hidden religion, it's explicit in origin in Christianity) What is different, is that they (the Libertarians at the top, not the followers) are aware of all this and they are aware of how faith works and they are manipulating people in an intentional way. They know their thought is religious (although some of them won't ever say or acknowledge that, because you know we believe in "Reason" not God :parrot:) and they intend to transform the world with it. And they win some very real fights by doing this. An absolute can be a cudgel. It doesn't matter what the specific absolute is, the question is what are they swinging it at? Things like reproductive rights. If Liberty is absolute, unconditioned, and they get people to really believe that, they can build logical and sound arguments on that absolute for anything. No restriction or restrained or regulation would be allowed on LIBERTY. All they have to do at that point is frame any issue as one of Liberty. We then get arguments for "religious Liberty" that remove the ability to make personal moral choices from individuals and arguments for freedom of speech that silence the rest of us on a corporate alter. If we miss that the root is religious we end up bashing our heads against tautologies when interactions occur. We also miss and fail to understand the way they are arguing.

I would agree all groups use myth and narrative to try to get what they want from other groups. But not all groups elevate a particular myth or narrative to absoluteness. It is as dangerous to treat free markets, "freedom to", property rights, or contracts as absolutely true and unquestionable as it is say the bible is the infallible Word of God. So I would say "Libertarianism is a religion" is definitely relevant to responding to Libertarians. And then I'd go on to say that it has the characteristics of harmful or corrupted religion (and I've even argued demonic religion). That second part contributes options.

Why? Because, there are specific historical responses to specific variations of corrupted religion. People have responded to this or that specific distortion before, so what did they do?

Gantolandon posted:

Not exactly, no. Communism mostly used another powerful narrative - corrupt elites vs noble commoners. There is no deity that punishes the wicked and rewards the virtuous, only a pile of goodies and those bastards that prevent everyone else from taking their share. Because of its roots, it always had the aspirations to be as scientific as possible, so religious elements were always pretty weak.

But that powerful narrative is the center of history in communism. When one makes a statement like this: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles." Marx defines a center of history. Class difference becomes a generative principle that drives all history . That's as much having a deity as thinking that the cross is the center of history. It's an unveiling (revelatory) statement about humanity. Being scientific after swallowing that, well that doesn't make participating in that foundational idea any less religious.

LogisticEarth,
Why does religious have to be a hollow smear though? And it's this again, all groups use myth and narrative to try to get what they want from other groups. But not all groups elevate a particular myth or narrative to absoluteness (or universalize it). Some communists/socialists definitely elevate their narrative to an absolute, but not all of them. When talking about the ones that do, why would it be a problem to analyze them in religious terms?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Going back to Ted Cruz, he may be using religious methodology to tap into populist libertarian sentiment, but you can't paint the whole movement with that brush.

I'll be very specific as why I'm doing it. There is a process to how religious dogmas develop, one finds a description of that in something like Harnack or even in Barth. But I like this particular one (because I'm nuts for Tillich):

"" posted:

Don't forget all these steps:

FIRST, the natural thought, which is in every religion.

SECOND, the methodological development of doctrines.

THIRD, the acceptance of some doctrines as protective doctrines against distortions.

FOURTH, the legalization of these doctrines as parts of the canonic law.

FIFTH, the acceptance of these doctrines as the foundation not only of the Church but also of the state, because the state has no other content than the content the Church gives it., so that he who is supposed to undermine this content not only undermines the Church but also the state. He is not only a heretic who must be excommunicated; he is also a criminal who must be delivered into the hands of the civil authorities to punish him as a criminal. Now this was the state of the dogma, against which the Enlightenment was fighting – not so much the Reformation, which was still in the same line, but certainly the Enlightenment; and ever since, all liberal thinking has been characterized by trying to avoid dogma, and this also was supported by the development of science and the necessity to leave science and philosophy complete freedom in order to give them the possibility of their creative growth.

Let's look at the libertarians with that process in mind.

"First, the natural thought, which is in every religion." This is "non aggression" or alternately we can use one of their words, praxeology. They're saying it's true that one should not harm others or alternately that "complete freedom" is true. I've seen those things equated by them too.

"Second, the methodological development of doctrines." This is the Austrian school. They start with their axiom and they reach conclusions, see Mises, Rothbard, etc. This is what that is and not in a it's like this sense, in a it calls itself this sense. In a schools of thought have "doxein" (opinions) reached methodically sense.

"Third, the acceptance of some doctrines as protective doctrines against distortions." I'm going to go with an example we all watched in the Jrodenfeld thread. What does this step look like? These ideas (or their precursors) were used to justify slavery and segregation. Those are examples of harmful distortions of an idea. They come up with mitigations, restrictions, rules to try prevent those. The stuff Jrodenfeld was turning to when pressed on this racism, that's the type of thing happening in this step.

"Fourth, the legalization of these doctrines as parts of the canonic law." I've already pointed out and linked to the Koch canon. The other sub groups have their own reading lists. They develop argument from these reading lists. These start internal, but they end up as legal arguements outside of the internal discussion. I'd argue something like Alito's "compelling interest test" is just a legalized developed thought resulting from system created by the methodical exploration of "non aggression"/complete freedom" (ie. praxelogy) So this process is happening right now and it's affecting our lives right now. We can see the process of legalization of their thought happening.

The last step:

"FIFTH, the acceptance of these doctrines as the foundation not only of the Church but also of the state, because the state has no other content than the content the Church gives it., so that he who is supposed to undermine this content not only undermines the Church but also the state. He is not only a heretic who must be excommunicated; he is also a criminal who must be delivered into the hands of the civil authorities to punish him as a criminal."

This also is happening right now. Specific expression this rear end in a top hat : http://issa.house.gov/ Also the whole criminalization of immigrants is also an expression of this.

I am very far from the first to characterize the Austrian school as dogmatic. And I've seen examples of that criticism going way back. But this is why I'm jumping from "as" to "is". What are we all doing right now? We are undermining the content of libertarianism and all from pretty widely varying perspectives/ideologies. We're going after their content the foundational natural thought.

If they manage to control the government via chestbursting the GOP, and if I'm right that they are a dogmatic religion (not like one are one) seeking theocracy and theonomy.. it's not good. It's incredibly worrying.

LogisticEarth posted:

you can't paint the whole movement with that brush.

In so far as they sign on to the action axiom, to praxeology, or to a variant, (and they do if they rock out Mises ) I can paint them with this brush. And if I'm correct and they are attempting to take over the ideals of the country I live in, and the religion I participate in with their own dogmatic religion then the stakes are very high.

And as for "as" vs "is" I do a lot of "as" religion argument on SA. It's my schtick here, and I probably overdo it occasionally. But this isn't a "as" situation. They've taken the complete freedom of the enlightenment (of classical liberalism) and merged it with Reason. Look at something like this magazine http://reason.com/about. What are they saying symbolically, that Reason is "free mind and free markets". Again, Mises says this explicitly too. Action (praxis) and Reason (logos) with a content of personal freedom as the center of history, praxeology. That's not like a religious statement, it's not "as". It is a religious statement.

It's also ironic. To turn the enlightenment reaction against (and process of dissolution of) dogma into a religious dogma.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 3, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Krugman op-ed on things discussed

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/07/opinion/paul-krugman-conservative-delusions-about-inflation.html?_r=0

Beliefs, Facts and Money, Paul Krugman posted:

On Sunday The Times published an article by the political scientist Brendan Nyhan about a troubling aspect of the current American scene — the stark partisan divide over issues that should be simply factual, like whether the planet is warming or evolution happened. It’s common to attribute such divisions to ignorance, but as Mr. Nyhan points out, the divide is actually worse among those who are seemingly better informed about the issues.

The problem, in other words, isn’t ignorance; it’s wishful thinking. Confronted with a conflict between evidence and what they want to believe for political and/or religious reasons, many people reject the evidence. And knowing more about the issues widens the divide, because the well informed have a clearer view of which evidence they need to reject to sustain their belief system.

As you might guess, after reading Mr. Nyhan I found myself thinking about the similar state of affairs when it comes to economics, monetary economics in particular.

Some background: On the eve of the Great Recession, many conservative pundits and commentators — and quite a few economists — had a worldview that combined faith in free markets with disdain for government. Such people were briefly rocked back on their heels by the revelation that the “bubbleheads” who warned about housing were right, and the further revelation that unregulated financial markets are dangerously unstable. But they quickly rallied, declaring that the financial crisis was somehow the fault of liberals — and that the great danger now facing the economy came not from the crisis but from the efforts of policy makers to limit the damage.

Above all, there were many dire warnings about the evils of “printing money.” For example, in May 2009 an editorial in The Wall Street Journal warned that both interest rates and inflation were set to surge “now that Congress and the Federal Reserve have flooded the world with dollars.” In 2010 a virtual Who’s Who of conservative economists and pundits sent an open letter to Ben Bernanke warning that his policies risked “currency debasement and inflation.” Prominent politicians like Representative Paul Ryan joined the chorus.

Reality, however, declined to cooperate. Although the Fed continued on its expansionary course — its balance sheet has grown to more than $4 trillion, up fivefold since the start of the crisis — inflation stayed low. For the most part, the funds the Fed injected into the economy simply piled up either in bank reserves or in cash holdings by individuals — which was exactly what economists on the other side of the divide had predicted would happen.

Needless to say, it’s not the first time a politically appealing economic doctrine has been proved wrong by events. So those who got it wrong went back to the drawing board, right? Hahahahaha.

In fact, hardly any of the people who predicted runaway inflation have acknowledged that they were wrong, and that the error suggests something amiss with their approach. Some have offered lame excuses; some, following in the footsteps of climate-change deniers, have gone down the conspiracy-theory rabbit hole, claiming that we really do have soaring inflation, but the government is lying about the numbers (and by the way, we’re not talking about random bloggers or something; we’re talking about famous Harvard professors). Mainly, though, the currency-debasement crowd just keeps repeating the same lines, ignoring its utter failure in prognostication.

You might wonder why monetary theory gets treated like evolution or climate change. Isn’t the question of how to manage the money supply a technical issue, not a matter of theological doctrine?

Well, it turns out that money is indeed a kind of theological issue. Many on the right are hostile to any kind of government activism, seeing it as the thin edge of the wedge — if you concede that the Fed can sometimes help the economy by creating “fiat money,” the next thing you know liberals will confiscate your wealth and give it to the 47 percent. Also, let’s not forget that quite a few influential conservatives, including Mr. Ryan, draw their inspiration from Ayn Rand novels in which the gold standard takes on essentially sacred status.

And if you look at the internal dynamics of the Republican Party, it’s obvious that the currency-debasement, return-to-gold faction has been gaining strength even as its predictions keep failing.

Can anything reverse this descent into dogma? A few conservative intellectuals have been trying to persuade their movement to embrace monetary activism, but they’re ever more marginalized. And that’s just what Mr. Nyhan’s article would lead us to expect. When faith — including faith-based economics — meets evidence, evidence doesn’t stand a chance.

When faith — including faith-based economics — meets evidence, evidence doesn’t stand a chance. I think Krugman is going to (or has) figure (d) it out. Arguments of and from evidence are non-sequitur arguments when addressing foundations which are accepted by faith. There is a Hegel quote: "Philosophy has made itself the handmaiden of a faith once more." Helsing used the term " a priori". It's the before evidence and experience part that is the problem with Libertarianism, they can can change all the arguments that come after that as they need to.

But when one says something like this (and it's a great goddamn line): "Reality, however, declined to cooperate." That's going after the object of faith! That's saying the story of Libertarianism, the meta narrative, the myth, is not true and then going further. To say this is to frame the Austrian economics myth as rejected by, denied, renounced, forsaken by reality itself! It is the same as to call it: "God forsaken!"

Telling a story of libertarianism in a "descent into dogma" is attacking it's foundation. Telling the story of how that foundation is detached from reality is attacking that foundation! Telling the stories of how libertarian ideas do not result in the things they promise is attacking it's foundation! Saying that it is an "utter failure in prognostication" (prophecy is a synonym of prognostication), that it's prophecies are false, is an attack on that foundation!

I think Krugman has the answer of how to go after this Austrian stuff right in front of him in the things he has written and might not recognize it yet. The answer is to make the very questions he is asking about Libertarianism the narrative of Libertarianism. If this stuff is recognized as a dogmatic religion, then one can argue against it in terms of it being a faith in a particular myth (one that claims to be the true myth).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Unless I'm missing something here, this has already been the boilerplate anti-libertarian message for years if not decades. I don't think this is the silver bullet you're looking for.

Yeah it's in no way new. And it needs to be coupled with renewal. And I'm looking back to those things. What popped into my head was "We need to Born in the USA" this poo poo. I think it's a continual thing that has to be done over and over again in each new context. In another context it looked like this: "If we send a generation out now, while we ourselves doubt: "I wonder if they have it in 'em. "Been taught a lot of nonsense in the last twenty years. Learned to distrust everything. Don't believe that you can get anywhere by hard work. Don't believe that anything in the world is worth fighting for," and turn our eyes away, we send them out to danger and perhaps to disgrace." In yet another context (way back on this one) it might look something along the lines of: treating a lie as the truth and worshiping a creation as creator.

There also has to be competing alternative narratives that are in more line with reality. But make no mistake, these are also constructions. Let's look at a historical example, the civil rights movement. Something like the story of Rosa Parks is a constructed narrative. My understanding is that it was planned, she was selected, and an active participant in the whole thing.

I see a lack of myth vs myth now. I see plenty of evidence/education/rationality vs myth.

LogisticEarth posted:

An important thing to remember was that praxeology was never intended to be a complete theory if the universe, even though Rothbard and others often throw it about as such. It was something that was meant to be used in concert with scientific data and historical inquiry.

Absolutely, and Jesus didn't go around talking about himself as the Christ and part of the Trinity, ever the see the "Shield of the Trinity" that's certainly not from Jesus. People build tautologies and systems around what they think is the truth, to protect it. It doesn't matter if Mises (Marx or Jesus for that matter) intended it to be that way, what matters is that the various groups of people who came after, went on to treat the idea as an absolute Truth.

We should be aware of the process and intentional (and questioning) about both their and our own dogma.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Have you all seen this yet. It's too long to quote but the whole thing is worth reading.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/koch-brothers-education_n_5587577.html

It's on the YE Youth Entrepreneurs. It's an older program that they are beginning to ramp up the money going into. They're pushing stuff they had been doing at the college level down to the high school level.

article posted:

The emails show that Charles Koch had a hands-on role in the design of the high school curriculum, directly reviewing the work of those responsible for setting up the course. The goal, the group said flatly, was to turn young people into "liberty-advancing agents" before they went to college, where they might learn "harmful" liberal ideas.

article posted:

They aimed to "inoculate" students against liberal ideas by assigning them to read passages from socialist and Marxist writers, whom they called "bad guys." These readings would then be compared to works by the "good guys" -- free-market economists like Friedrich Hayek and Ludwig von Mises.

article posted:

"That’s right, the more involved you are, the more money you'll earn to put toward your business or higher education!"

and the kicker

article posted:

"Everybody that's interested in liberty-minded higher education and beyond is really excited about Youth Entrepreneurs," Jon Bachura told HuffPost, adding, "It's all playing in the sandbox to see what things, what activities answer that question: What creates the liberty mindset?"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I love the "we're not pushing an ideology"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

(Honestly, I think that "rights from God" is more plausible than "rights from reason.")

They aren't different statements.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

I don't see how: one relies on the existence of a supernatural being and the other does not. How can you argue that x comes from y if you don't believe in the existence of y?

No,

One side relies on a specific human being reason itself, who we are all brothers and sisters with. i.e. The Word was flesh.

The other side has the idea that some (sometimes pessimistic here sometimes optimistic) of us by our intelligence can know or approach the essential truths (or say natural laws) of how the universe works.

It's not a conversation where one side talks about God and the other doesn't. It's a conversation where both sides have a large difference of opinion regarding the nature of humanities relationship to the essential nature of the universe.

One side just likes to pretend it's not being religious when it appeals to Reason.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 18, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think the difference between Freidman and the rest can be described this way:

When I read Friedman, I find that he looks at evidence and argues from evidence. That's different than stating with an abstract assertion and arguing from that assertion.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

And that has what to do with the differences between neo-liberals and libertarians?

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 22, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I basically agree with this: Libertarians talk a lot of nonsense about individualism because they're pushing ideology, neoliberals talk a lot about economic growth because they're pushing technocratic policy.

While disagreeing with this: They're equally terrible.

One those things is significantly more worse and more dangerous than the other.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 22, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Salon had an interesting article on Libertarians, Silicon Valley, and the GOP.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/23/the_extreme_right_wing_is_using_the_tech_industry_to_rebrand_the_gop_partner/

"" posted:

Silicon Valley vanities demand a focus on the future. But the entrepreneurs and code writers attending San Francisco’s Reboot 2014 this week would be wise to note the past of the conference’s Libertarian sponsors as they and other right-wing Republicans are seeking to rebrand the GOP—in California and nationally.

“Reboot is the first conference of its kind to create a community of like-minded individuals determined to bring the cutting edge to campaigns and causes that promote liberty,” its webpage announces, followed by a video featuring ex-Florida Republican Gov. Jeb Bush, who touts the freedom to succeed or fail, as long as government regulation doesn’t get in the way.

Bush, the 2016 presidential prospect seen as the party’s candidate of moderation, is wallpaper compared to the actual conference roster of speakers. There’s Libertarian Rand Paul, the U.S. senator from Kentucky, who is a Republican in name only. There’s Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, chair of the House Republican Conference, who as Pando.com’s Mark Ames noted, is a crusading Christian fundamentalist with a long history of sponsoring homophobic bills and opposing reproductive rights and equal pay for women. Also in a top slot is Nick Gillespie, longtime editor of Reason.com, the Libertarian outlet.

“At first glance it makes no sense to front a rabidly anti-gay candidate like McMorris Rodgers to sell the Kochs’ and the Paul family’s scrubland libertarianism to a Bay Area audience full of hip disruptors and ‘anarchist’ practitioners of bohemia grooming fads,” Ames writes. “But that’s because what Silicon Valley folks think of when they hear the word ‘libertarianism’ actually has very little connection to what the libertarian movement actually stands for, and has stood for since the 1970s.”
advertisement

Ames, whose lengthy article on tech-centric Pando.com fills in those white supremacist blanks, was not given a press pass to the conference, a very un-Libertarian gesture from a political cadre that claims to be for free thought, free expression and free markets. Oh well, some things just don’t change, especially when an attempt at political rebranding depends on de-emphasizing the past that Ames recounts.

“So now we have the ‘Reboot Lab’ conference taking place in the heart of San Francisco’s SOMA tech district,” he writes. “But if the purpose of the Reboot Lab conference is to merge Koch-brand libertarianism with Silicon Valley ‘libertarianism,’ then the first thing you have to ask is: Why the hell did they invite a mean homophobic hick like Cathy McMorris Rodgers to the show?”

The rest of the speaker roster answers that question. The Republican Party in California, as it does nationally, has long had two factions that can barely speak to each other. On one side are social conservatives, which is a genteel way of describing born-again Christians who want government to impose their biblical values on everyone. On the other side are free-market conservatives, who, like the conference’s underwriters, the Koch brothers, want to stifle any government regulation that might impede profits. Reboot 2014 is trying to bridge this longtime gap with speakers from both provinces, although the Libertarians dominate.

Rand Paul is there because, like every other presidential candidate, he comes to California to raise money that’s spent elsewhere. There’s a contingent from the California Republican Party, which is hoping an anti-regulatory mantra might help it lose the disastrous legacy it created under former Gov. Pete Wilson, which tried to deny social welfare benefits to undocumented immigrants in the country’s most racially diverse state. And then there’s the national GOP, which is seeking talent, including bankrolling a voter data mining operation based in San Mateo called Data Trust. (The Kochs have underwritten a competing outfit to generate its own voter files for its Tea Party affiliates.)

If you are only looking to the future—such as the 2014 federal elections and 2016 presidential race—it’s easy to ignore where a lot of the leading right-wingers at Reboot 2014 are coming from. Pando.com’s apparent big sin, spiking its press pass access, was resurrecting this legacy. Here’s what Ames says about McMorris Rodgers, who, he writes, will be “sharing the stage with LeanIn.org’s Andrea Saul, whom [Facebook chief operating officer] Sheryl Sandberg hired last year to ‘help reach women—and men—so that we can all work together toward a more equal world.”

“Rep. McMorris Rodgers was homeschooled by her father, and got her higher education degree at an unaccredited Christian fundamentalist institution, Pensacola Christian College (PCC), which bans homosexuality, open Internet (PCC until recentlybanned all Internet access), and mixed-gender stairwells (male and female students are required to use separate stairs and doors).

“Pensacola Christian College is the publisher of A Beka textbooks for K-12 pupils, which teach kids that Islam is a ‘false religion,’ Hindus are ‘incapable of writing history,’ Catholicism is ‘a monstrous distortion of Christianity,’ African religions preach ‘false religious beliefs,’ liberals and Democrats are crypto-Marxists, and the United Nations is a ‘collectivist juggernaut that would crush individual freedom and force the will of an elite few on all of humanity.’

“In the mid-late ’90s, McMorris Rodgers took office in the Washington state legislature and co-authored a bill banning same-sex marriages, then later earned notoriety for blocking a bill that had already passed unanimously in Washington state’s upper house to replace the pejorative ‘Orientals’ with ‘Asians’ in official state documents. As reported in the press at the time, legislators were dumbfounded as to why McMorris Rodgers would do something as gratuitously mean-spirited as blocking a bill undoing racism against Asians; a few, including the bill’s Korean-American author, literally broke down in tears.

“McMorris Rodgers’ excuse, as reported in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer: ‘I’m very reluctant to continue to focus on setting up different definitions in statute related to the various minority groups. I’d really like to see us get beyond that.’”

This last example expresses the same worldview U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts cited when gutting the 1965 Voting Rights Act—that America has evolved past the point of racial divisiveness and therefore no affirmative actions in law are needed anymore. Ames points out that the same view—which buttresses the power and influence of institutions dominated by white men—has been a longtime feature of Reason’s coverage. “Throughout the 1970s, Reason’s pages dripped with racist justifications for [South Africa’s] apartheid, on the racial economic theory that whites stood for free market libertarianism and individual liberty, while blacks were genetically predisposed toward socialism and looting.”

One might say, that was then and this is now. But, like too much classic rock-and-roll that never seems to go away, political ideas forged in the crucible of the 1960s and ’70s culture wars have a way of sticking around. Ames and other writers on AlterNet have noted that Rand Paul has surrounded himself with top political aides who have espoused the American version of apartheid’s storyline: “neo-Confederates, white supremacists, and conspiracy loons.” And, of course, his father, former Republican Congressman Ron Paul, has long been associated with racist, isolationist publications and stances.

Fast forward to Reboot 2014 and Ames persuasively argues that the conference’s Republican organizers bring a lot of these strains of right-wing belief with them. Moreover, the conference’s “big tent” philosophy seems to be the political equivalent of a startup blender: throw it all in and see what sticks. Ames notes that many of these political ingredients have very different political underpinnings.

Start with the “two libertarianisms, the hick fascism version owned by the Koch brothers, essentially rebranding Joe McCarthy with a pot leaf and a ponytail; and Silicon Valley’s emerging brand of optimistic, half-understood libertarianism, part hippie cybernetics, part hot-tub-Hayek,” he writes, referring to Friedrich Hayek, the Austrian economist worshipped by Libertarians. But there’s more.

“Lincoln Labs, the organizers of the Reboot conference, is run by a young Republican Party activist from Texas named Aaron Ginn, and Ginn has acknowledged that he’s essentially running a talent scouting agency for the talent-starved GOP, which recently set up offices in Silicon Valley.

“Running the GOP operations in Silicon Valley is a former senior Facebook engineering manager named Andrew Barkett, who now works as CTO of the Republican National Committee and partners in a privately held GOP data-mining firm based in San Mateo called Data Trust. Barkett explained [in the New York Times Magazine] how Lincoln Labs helps recruit new GOP foot soldiers: ‘We don’t need thousands of people; we need dozens,’ Mr. Barkett said. ‘We could do a lot of damage with 30 people. A lot. But they’ve got to be real engineers.’

Will the GOP’s organizers and recruiters find their next big thing at Reboot 2014? In the political world, one learns never to say never. But GOP prospecting in Silicon Valley is not exactly new. Sure, Rand Paul may walk away with money for TV ads in Iowa and New Hampshire. The California and House GOP may find new donors too, just as Reason.com may end up with new subscribers and underwriters. But will 30 code writers upend American politics as Barkett bragged to the Times? I don’t think so.

The anti-regulatory prescriptions no doubt appeal to Silicon Valley entrepreneurs who want it all, want it now, and don’t want government in their way. But most of America doesn’t live in Libertarian utopias—like San Francisco’s fancy salons. They are like the rest of California, which is racially diverse, economically struggling, and more ripe for a different populist message, one more geared to working people.

There’s a reason why Republicans have floundered in California. People don’t like to be told by the religious right what to believe and how to live morally, just as they don’t like to be told by millionaires that they have to work harder to reach a new rung on the economic ladder. Libertarians may be making inroads into wealthy Silicon Valley, but they’re still a single-digit Republican Party faction in the rest of America.

Even Reason magazine’s latest national poll found that millennials—said to be the most Libertarian young generation in decades—overwhelmingly plan to vote for Hillary Clinton in 2016.

So what they are trying to do:

"Start with the “two libertarianisms, the hick fascism version owned by the Koch brothers, essentially rebranding Joe McCarthy with a pot leaf and a ponytail; and Silicon Valley’s emerging brand of optimistic, half-understood libertarianism, part hippie cybernetics, part hot-tub-Hayek,”

to end up with one Libertarianism.

So one side one has fully developed systematics, backed up in the real world with an extensive educational network in universities developed over decades. The other side likes to talk techno-optimism, seasteading utopias, and Hayek in the hot-tub. One of these things is going to be made consistent with the other, and that doesn't look like a fair fight to me.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 23, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Not going far enough for the right. Would probably be: traitor who is actively undermining the state and who should be prosecuted by the state (impeached). Or uh, that he should be drawn and quartered with his head on a spike.

http://thinkprogress.org/immigratio...xchange_article

edit:

Steinlight posted:

“And we all know, if there ever was a president that deserved to be impeached, it’s this guy. Alright? And I wouldn’t stop. I would think being hung, drawn, and quartered is probably too good for him. But you know, this man who wants to rule by the use of a pen, a telephone, let us not forget his teleprompter … the fact is that it would backfire very badly and we’ve got to be grownups and accept that we can’t have everything we want, you know, [like] his head on a skewer.”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well Reason gets money from the Kochs (Edit: by that I mean largest single donor) and at least one of the brothers is a Bircher.

When one watches Dr. Strangelove, all the "fluoridated water"/"precious bodily fluids" stuff, the crazy general who starts world war three, that's about the JBS. They distance themselves from that now.

Edit: JBS is where those two things Fundamentalist Christianity and Libertarianism intersect.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 25, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

danieljmitchell, five things about me posted:

1) I’m a Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute, Washington’s premier free-market think tank.

2) A left-wing newspaper in the U.K. wrote that I’m “a high priest of light tax, small state libertarianism.” I assume they meant it as an insult, but it’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said about me.

3) My hobbies are softball (decent player), basketball (hopeless), and skiing.

4) I’m a passionate Georgia Bulldog, so much so that I would have trouble choosing between a low-rate flat tax for America and a national title for the Dawgs. I’m not kidding.

5) Check out my YouTube channel. Thanks to a former intern, I even have a wikipedia page. And I’ve even sunk to the level of being on twitter, where I’m @danieljmitchell.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

"Prior to joining Cato, Mitchell was a senior fellow with The Heritage Foundation" "Ph.D. in economics from George Mason University."

These are fruits of producing institutions like the Mercator center at GMU.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don't know how I missed that CATO was originally called "the Charles Koch Foundation" and the change to "Cato Institute" was Rothbard's idea

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

New Koch editorial:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/08/05/charles-koch-how-to-really-turn-the-economy-around/13643229/

Charles Koch posted:

For years, Washington politicians have said that our economy is turning the corner. They said it in 2011, in 2013 and again last week — every time they report a quarter with 4% economic growth. But each time, the economy has turned sluggish again.

Like most Americans, I am deeply concerned about our weak economic recovery and its effects on millions of families. Opportunity, especially for the young and disadvantaged, is declining. High underemployment has become our new norm.

The effects of underemployment are not just economic, they are also social and psychological. Real work is an important part of how we define ourselves. Meaningful work benefits both us and others. Those who lack real jobs often end up depressed, addicted or aggressive.

Today, opportunities for such work are not what they should be. We need a different approach, focused less on politics and more on basic principles.

Principled business

First, we need to encourage principled entrepreneurship. Companies should earn profits by creating value for customers and acting with integrity, the opposite of today's rampant cronyism.

Too many businesses focus on getting subsidies and mandates from government rather than creating value for customers. According to George Mason University's Mercatus Center, such favors cost us more than $11,000 per person in lost GDP every year, a $3.6 trillion economic hit.

Compounding the problem are destructive regulations affecting whether and how business invests and employees work. Federal rules cost America an estimated $1.86 trillion per year, calculated the Competitive Enterprise Institute. At Koch Industries, we've seen how punitive permitting for large projects creates years of delay, increasing uncertainty and cost. Sometimes projects are canceled and jobs with them. Meanwhile, 30% of U.S. employees need government licenses to work. We need a system that rewards those who create real value, not impedes them.

Second, we should eliminate the artificial cost of hiring. Government policies such as Obamacare have given businesses a powerful incentive to hire two part-time people to do one full-time job. This trend was reflected in June's employment data, which included the loss of half a million full-time jobs. In 2007, 4.4 million Americans worked part-time jobs because they could not find full-time work. That number now stands at 7.5 million, up 275,000 in June. "The existence of such a large pool of 'partly unemployed' workers," Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said, "is a sign that labor conditions are worse than indicated by the unemployment rate."

Skills AND values

Third, we need to guide many more people into developing skills and values that will enable them to reach their potential. Everyone knows education increases a person's ability to create value. But the willingness to work, an essential for success, often has to be taught, too.

When I was growing up, my father had me spend my free time working at unpleasant jobs. Most Americans understand that taking a job and sticking with it, no matter how unpleasant or low-paying, is a vital step toward the American dream. We are in for more trouble if young people don't find that all-important first job, which is critical to beginning their climb up the ladder.

Finally, we need greater incentives to work. Costly programs, such as paying able-bodied people not to work, are addictive disincentives. By undermining people's will to work, our government has created a culture of dependency and hopelessness. This is most unfair to vulnerable citizens who suffer even as we say they are receiving "benefits."

I agree with Dr. Martin Luther King. There are no dead-end jobs. Every job deserves our best. "If a man is called to be a street sweeper," King said, "he should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, 'Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.'"

Our government's decades-long, top-down approach to job creation has failed. Its policies have made our problems worse, leaving tens of millions chronically un- or underemployed, millions of whom have given up ever finding meaningful work. In doing so, our government has not only thwarted real job creation, it also has reduced the supply and quality of goods and services that make people's lives better and undermined the culture required to sustain a free society.

When it comes to creating opportunities for all, we can do much better. It's time to let people seek opportunities that best suit their talents, for businesses to forsake cronyism and for government to get out of the way.

Charles Koch, chairman and CEO of Koch Industries, is a donor to libertarian causes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I love the: these institutions I fund directly provide evidence that my opinions are correct

Edit: anyone else notice that the many of the ad buyers from Scientific American, "Great Courses", etc are now Glenn Beck sponsors.
Edit: Just realized all the Richard W Wetherill "Right is Might" alpha pub business is a reference to "Might is Right" of Ragnar Redbeard.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 7, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

That's a pithy quote from MLK, I wonder if he came up with that before or after he went to communist training camp.

This gets even better:

http://www.progressive.org/news/2014/07/187769/his-dad-charles-koch-was-bircher-new-documents

Koch joined the JBS during the Civil rights movement and funded JBS attacks on the civil right movement , including King specifically:

article posted:

Charles Koch was not simply a rank and file member of the John Birch Society in name only who paid nominal dues. He purchased and held a "lifetime membership" until he resigned in 1968. He also lent his name and his wealth to the operations of the John Birch Society in Wichita, aiding its "American Opinion" bookstore -- which was stocked with attacks on the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, and Earl Warren as elements of the communist conspiracy. He funded the John Birch Society's promotional campaigns, bought advertising in its magazine, and supported its distribution of right-wing radio shows."

that article is goddamn goldmine too, there is a whole timeline history of the JBS/Kochs opposing the civil rights movement at the bottom.

Also C. Koch raising money for JBS in 66.

Doesn't leave over the racism, leaves over Vietnam.

Also bonus "communist training camp image"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I know, I just like to repeat that the Libertarianism of the Kochs is the racism of the segregationists loudly and often.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That progressive article mentioned JBS funded radio shows...

I wonder if they funded Asa Carter's show?

Edit: Nope before JBS existed.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 7, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ayn Rand: "Never refused fudge"

Edit: Welp never need to prove my "It's a religion" assertion ever again.

"When two of Rand’s Objectivist followers in the “Collective" got married, they included in the ceremony vows pledging their "joint devotion and fealty to Ayn Rand." Also part of what had to be the worst wedding ever, they read to one another from the "sacred text" Atlas Shrugged."

Edit 2:

Don't think about this one too much.

"While Rand and Nathaniel Branden were engaging in “the logical extension of our intellectual and emotional connection,” whenever Branden “devoted a long period of time to Ayn’s pleasure,” she would demand, horrified, “You’re not being altruistic, are you?”'

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 15, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I heard the following on a televised service on Sunday.

"By God's Law of Liberty we know what is and is not sin"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So would a "Nationally Accredited Correctional Institution" prison bus count as a DRO ?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Mutato posted:

I would love to hear why it isn't.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

Everyone gets to decide for themselves what property is legitimately owned

You know how terrible this is right?

This is property as a matter of will. Throw in "Everyone gets to decide for themselves what property is" and it'd be hat trick of terrible.

Edit NVM: you're against an-caps, I couldn't tell if you're for this or against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Really it's just hard to tell anymore. There are so many little factions and denominations.