Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Now with Tiny Leaders chat!

Commander
Commander (alternatively known as Elder Dragon Highlander/EDH) is a technically sanctionable Magic: the Gathering variant that is based around 100 card singleton decks based around a General, which is a Legendary creature card that defines the colors you can play.

The complete rules and banlist for Commander can be found on the official Commander site. Although Wizards of the Coast has released several Commander specific products, creates cards specifically for the format, and (ostensibly) supports the format on MTGO, the rules and banlist of the format are maintained by Judge Emeritus Sheldon "Points" Menery and the Shadowy Rules Committee. The oversight of the rules committee is not without controversy; those critical of the Menery Regime often accuse the Rules Committee of shaping the banlist to match their personal preferences for how the game should be played at the expense of overlooking cards that they don't mind but the community finds to have a negative impact on the format.

Tiny Leaders
Tiny Leaders is a new format that is a cross between Modern/Legacy and Duel(French) Commander. Players start with 25 life, have a 50 card singleton deck with the usual Commander/Color Identity rules, and a 10 card sideboard. Commander Damage does not exist. All cards in the deck must be CMC 3 or lower. The format is specifically meant to be played as a 2 player one, which combined with the smaller decksize, means that decks tend to be more competitive/faster/powerful in nature, often resembling scaled down Legacy decks. Every 1/2/3 color combination is playable at this level, having at least one valid commander (Sultai is the exception, but the format's rules allow you to proxy a generic 2/2 BUG Legendary as your commander, allowing access to that color identity)
(Thanks to Archenteron for the writeup)

Thread Suggestions
-Hopefully this thread can be a place where Commander enthusiasts/unenthusiasts can discuss hot-button issues without making GBS threads up the Megathread or the Brewhaus. I don't want to push an agenda by trying to set thread rules like "no bitching about the banlist" or "please only say nice things about Sheldon," so feel free to say good or bad things about the format.
-This thread can also be a place to discuss our decklists and Commander specific strategy outside of the Brewhaus. If you want feedback on a deck, try to include some context so nobody ends up giving you advice you can't use. This includes things like your budget, your desired level of competitiveness, any theme or restriction you'd like to stick to, and what it is you'd like to work on.
-When posting a deck, include a link to Deckstats or Tappedout. Posting full decklists is fine, just have some organization to it (on deckstats, choose "organize by type" when generating your list) so those of us who can't or won't click through the link can still take a quick glance at it. Don't quote a whole list though when commenting on a deck, the quote links back to the first post even if you edit the quote.
-Having a separate Commander thread is something that has been bounced around for awhile now in the various MtG threads but nobody was sure there'd be enough interest to sustain one. It comes up enough where it seems like it's worth giving a try, but if it doesn't we can always go back to having occasional argumentative flareups in the other threads.

Resources
  • WotC Commander Site
  • Official EDH/Commander Site
  • This thread on MtGSalvation is a good, if not a bit outdated, reference for players who are interested in starting out and better understanding the fundamentals of building a Commander deck. The Commander subforums on mtgsalvation seem to be better than most of the others, but I don't spend enough time there to really vouch for them so YMMV.
  • This site outlines Duel Commander, which is a variant that is intended for 1v1 play. The banlist (the French banlist) maintained here is considered by some to be better than the official banlist, but unless you're attending an event that specifically references French 1v1 rules most players default to the Menery rules.
  • The official Tiny Leaders website and banlist
  • The M:tG Megathread -Your home for general Wizard Poker discussion
  • The M:tG Deck Building Brewhaus -Pretend that the OP there is posted here
  • The M:tG Limited Thread -The only place to open packs and not get yelled at about it
  • The M:tG Eternal Thread -A thread populated exclusively by billionaires
  • The M:tG Cube Thread -Discuss why pouring thousands of dollars into cards is a good way to play Magic for free

BXCX fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
(Reserved for potential future bullshit)

Gyshall posted:

commander.jpg

e: Seriously, I have always said - just drink beer and play commander with buddies. Ban list? Lol.

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Every commander argument comes down to the exact same thing: its a poo poo format when you play with poo poo people.

If you really must play with a bad group, you can always make your very own rear end in a top hat deck, tailored to your meta. Sometimes doing that gets people to build less stupid poo poo, if only to avoid your hosers.

If you have friends irl who are halfway decent people with a bit of creativity, its a fun format. That sounds like a tall order for most people here but there's a big community around me that meets the definition, sorry if yours doesn't.

Toshimo posted:

No. Clearly my definition of fun is superior to your definition of fun.

Stinky Pit posted:

Commander is a bad format.

If you like and have fun with Commander it's because you're a reasonably chill person. You and your play group would be having as much or more fun just playing standard, block, cube, whatever, hell there are some incredibly fun board games these days.

Just say no to Commander.

Madmarker posted:

Bbbbbuuuuut people are having FUN WRONG!

Elyv posted:

Okay, we've established that some of us like EDH and some of us don't. Can we find something more interesting to talk about?

BXCX fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 23, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rakdos the Defiler EDH forever!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
When I put Goblin Charbelcher into my Goblins EDH deck, it is because it has the word "Goblin" in it and is totally in flavor, not because I am a degenerate that wants to potentally kill somebody in one activation after casting Goblin Recruiter.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mercury Crusader posted:

When I put Goblin Charbelcher into my Goblins EDH deck, it is because it has the word "Goblin" in it and is totally in flavor, not because I am a degenerate that wants to potentally kill somebody in one activation after casting Goblin Recruiter.

Also because you run that new R/B Goblin legend from Conspiracy and Charbelcher provides some sick-nasty synergy. :getin:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bhsman posted:

Also because you run that new R/B Goblin legend from Conspiracy and Charbelcher provides some sick-nasty synergy. :getin:

I'm currently running Shattergang Brothers for a splash of green to take advantage of stuff like Fecundity and Survival of the Fittest, but I am seriously considering replacing him for Grenzo. R/B sounds more consistent than R/G/B, and I can feel less bad running one real dual land instead of three.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm currently running Shattergang Brothers for a splash of green to take advantage of stuff like Fecundity and Survival of the Fittest, but I am seriously considering replacing him for Grenzo. R/B sounds more consistent than R/G/B, and I can feel less bad running one real dual land instead of three.

I'd consider running cheaper, ETB-laden creatures so you can drop Grenzo early.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The french list has both crucible of worlds AND strip mine on the banlist. Someone has it out for my degenerate Azusa ways.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Reposting for the new thread

homerlaw posted:

Here's my mono-white white weenie EDH enchantments deck, any ideas to make it better without adding to the cost?
Enchanté
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-05-14-rXe-enchante/

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

homerlaw posted:

Reposting for the new thread

You might want to have a backup in case someone's feeling pedantic since Mystic technically doesn't start as Legendary. Odric can be a reasonable substitution if need be.

You might want to up the land count/mana sources to around 38ish, I know it seems like 35 is enough but you're likely going to have a hard time casting Sun Titan reliably.

There's a lot of good (and cheap) stuff in Theros Block that can give you enchantments and dudes:
-Any of the Bestow dudes, the most expensive (Eidolon of Countless Battles) is under $3 and most are bulk that you could pick up off the floor after a draft.
-Heroic guys, especially Hero of Iroas. Phalanx Leader can pump your whole team, Fabled Hero can do some work with double strike, and Dawnbringer Charioteers can help gain you some life back.
-Heliod is miles better than Serra's Blessing and is one of the cheaper gods.
-Spear of Heliod pumps your team, is an enchantment, and can be a rattlesnake to ward off attackers
-Banishing Light is your second copy of Oblivion Ring

Other stuff:
-Open the Vaults is likely to benefit you more than anyone else, especially if you're running more enchantment creatures
-Faith's Reward/Second Sunrise might also be good for you since you're going to suffer from removal than anyone else since you're running a lot of auras
-You might want to look in to more artifact tutors if you want to run the Empire trio, they're not that impressive on their own and you'll have a hard time drawing all three

Here's a link to (a maybe outdated version of) my Mono White Soldiers deck. It's similar to your deck but is all in on tribal, but it is limited to Modern legal cards so there's some good stuff you're running that I skipped.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I roll with Llawan, Cephalid Empress. If I get her out turn 2 with a Sol Ring or Mana Crypt, I can slow down all the blue commander players long enough for the non-blue players to get in the game. Then, instead of winning with an infinite combo, I scry into Sphinx-Bone Wand (no matter how long it takes), then use buyback spells to nuke everyone, or quite frequently fail to do so and die. But each game is fun because I'm at least hosing other blue players and winning with the Wand always feels legit. That's how I like to play EDH and I have no problem with Sol Ring or Mana Crypt in the format.

edit: Grenzo seems like the most fun / most playable Commander that's come around in some time, especially in those colors.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I like EDH a lot, but my playgroup doesn't play it nearly as much as we used to (partially my fault for building a Cube...) and lately I find myself thinking about picking just a couple decks and stripping down the rest to feed my Legacy habit. I'm definitely keeping Hanna, Ship's Navigator since she's my "best" deck and I can't rightly give her up with the Terese Nielsen judge foil on the way, but other than that I just can't choose. I haven't been able to work out a build for Tibor and Lumia that's both A. strong enough to keep up with my group and B. doesn't bore me (read: basically end up a Niv-Mizzet 1.0/Nekusar deck in disguise) so they're probably next on the chopping block :( Sorry guys, we'll always have that time I copied Time Spiral twice and finally drew into a Cerebral Vortex to hit the Kaalia player for exactly lethal over his Gisela...

This is not really looking for advice or anything, just noticing that it bums me out a little to think of taking apart EDH decks in a way I've never felt for another format. But I can kinda justify it by at least promising myself to keep the commanders themselves for old times' sake... Kinda... Dammit, you shiny little guys, don't look at me like that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I recommend just make a deck list so that way if you ever want to go back to one of those EDH decks, it's not that hard. That way you can move on without regret and reassemble them in the future again.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Since I keep mentioning my goblins deck, here's what I currently have at the moment:

Shattergang Brothers EDH Goblins

It's stuff I have on hand. Pretty much anything post-Fifth Dawn are things I've managed to gather here and there. Not sure if keeping Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse is any good, but I don't have any of the Zendikar fetchlands. I guess I could put Windswept Heath or Polluted Delta instead, or the Mirage fetchlands which I think I have but I'd have to dig around my old boxes a bit. Running two guild signets in the deck but I figure I could put some better mana artifacts instead. I also don't think I have enough removal in general. Any advice would be nice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like EDH because the only time I can make it to my LGS is on weekends, which is when all the EDH events happen. It also lets me make a good and/or fun deck with "bad" or old cards. I'm also blessed with what I think is a good playgroup, because when I go there's usually not much in the way of hurt feelings.

As far as decks go, I have a few but my Captain Sisay deck is definitely my pride-and-joy. Half ramp-to-awesome-dudes, half legendary toolbox. Probably starting to get too close to "un-fun good" but it still folds hard to a few different things. It's also why I know the exact mana requirements for an overloaded Cyclonic Rift :v:

Was going to post this in the main thread before I saw this thread-

Kasonic posted:

The problem with EDH is it has too much variance. Like almost any format in any kind of game, it would benefit from scope reduction. An 'EDH Cube' or playgroup with a box of 8-15 premade decks that assume a certain power level is going to have way more fun with the game than a selection of randoms who are not trying to have fun the same way.

For pickup EDH games my store has a copy of each pre-con that they keep tucked away with the oversized cards that came with each deck, and you pick your general (and thus your deck) at random from those. It's a fun way to make sure things are more balanced even if the overall power level suffers.

Also let me go back through the main thread to find the post I made about the "Grand Melee" format my store also does, it's a lot of fun and I think eliminates some of the issues people have with the format re: game speed and I would love to see other stores use it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 23, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Leaving banlist issues aside, I feel like EDH would be a healthier format by dropping the starting life totals from 40 down to 30 (Commander damage could also drop or stay the same, I'm not sure that matters as much). Discuss.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whydirt posted:

Leaving banlist issues aside, I feel like EDH would be a healthier format by dropping the starting life totals from 40 down to 30 (Commander damage could also drop or stay the same, I'm not sure that matters as much). Discuss.

It's what French Duel Commander does and it makes aggro feasible. Not entirely viable, but the 99 singletons thing is to blame. It's mostly a midrange format where midrange decks midrange at each other.

Though Athreos is treating me well as a relatively aggro commander.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

whydirt posted:

I'm happy with it as is, but they need to deal with some of the cards that look at your life total, like Serra Ascendant. 6/6 flying lifelink for W? Yes, please!

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 23, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since I keep mentioning my goblins deck, here's what I currently have at the moment:

Shattergang Brothers EDH Goblins

It's stuff I have on hand. Pretty much anything post-Fifth Dawn are things I've managed to gather here and there. Not sure if keeping Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse is any good, but I don't have any of the Zendikar fetchlands. I guess I could put Windswept Heath or Polluted Delta instead, or the Mirage fetchlands which I think I have but I'd have to dig around my old boxes a bit. Running two guild signets in the deck but I figure I could put some better mana artifacts instead. I also don't think I have enough removal in general. Any advice would be nice.

I basically don't play EDH, but a couple things that jump out at me: I think Grab the Reins is much better than Threaten, I think your creature count seems a little low, and I think various manlands(treetop village, Lavaclaw Reaches, etc) might be better than your weakest lands.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't like Grab the Reins because it doesn't untap the creature. Granted with sac outlets that's less of an issue, but Threaten and similar cards are better on their own.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
I personally love Commander, but I have spent way too much money on the format, with my most expensive culprit being my Progenitus-Superfriendsdeck (Progentius and most of the non-aggro based planeswalkers that evolved from my original Garza Zol Superfriends deck), and perhaps some day I will put regular duals instead of the checklands in that deck. I have 8 active decks including Progenitus, with my Jenara and Xenagos decks(which was an Ulasht the Hate Seed deck until recently) decks proving me with the most victories in my playgroup, which is typically my last goal of commander. y goals are as follow:

1) Kill Ertai, Wizard Adept if he is on the field/punish that player even if he is no longer a threat if Ertai is not dead (Ertai the Corrupted is cool)
2) Resolve a Genesis Wave for a large amount if playing a green deck
3) Make alliances against better positioned players/Break those alliances when the tides turn
4) Have fun
5) Win a game

Anyone else have rules that they try and follow when playing Commander?

Something about commander clicks with me, more than most of the board games that my friends try to get us to play. I do know that some of my decks need to be tweaked a bit/lot though,but since my friends and I have stopped playing as much commander recently, I've been reluctant to put money/time into changing them.

Recently my friends wanted to try Pauper Commander. I took this seriously by choosing a few Boros Uncommons as Commanders and the first 70 commons that I could find. The first game we played was amusing, due to countering a crypt rat's player's necro bite with mana tithe after he tapped out that would have saved him, but I prefer regular Commander, maybe due to the money I've poured into regular Commander.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
The most important playgroup rule I know is if anyone casts Goblin Game, writing numbers down is expressly forbidden. Everyone must wander around the apartment and find some actual stuff to hide.

As far as personal goals go, I am happiest when I manage at least one of the following:
- Use Academy Rector to do something big that I'm not supposed to do at instant speed.
- Use Cerebral Vortex as an offensive spell.
- Kill someone with False Cure.

I have a personal rule of taking a card out of a deck for a while if it's more or less singlehandedly responsible for winning me more than a couple games. Insurrection, Rite of Replication, etc. have been benched to this rule before. I'm about one more game away from benching False Cure, which delights me because it's just such a bad card.

"Beacon of Immortality."
"Doubling your life total counts as gaining that much life, rules-wise, right?"
"Yeah, it doe-oh god drat it."

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 23, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Here are the rules that I remember from my store's grand melee Commander format. I had to miss this month's and will have to miss next month's so I'm a little rusty to the details, but it's something like this-

1. Everyone sits in one big circle. You win a pack for each player that you knock out, and if you concede "you" stay in the game as a one-turn gimme; you can't do anything but your life total remains, and if someone takes that total to 0 before "your turn" comes back around they get the KO and the pack, otherwise that "player" stops existing and the pack goes to whoever wins the whole thing.

2. Turns are taken simultaneously at different parts of the table, in the interest of speeding things along. For example in a 16-person game four people are taking their turns at the same time. However, they are spaced far enough apart in the circle that they can't see one another and spheres of influence (more on that later) don't overlap. My LGS has rectangular cardboxes they use for this; lay the box in front of you while it's your turn then stand it up in between you and the next player when you're passing the turn. When all boxes are standing, turn is passed and the next players lay their box down and the cycle continues. As people are eliminated, boxes are taken off the table to keep appropriate spacing. Sometimes this means one box doesn't move for a turn while the others do, other times someone has to skip a turn (but they usually make it so that someone who already has a prize pack or two loses a turn).

3. Players can only affect and be affected by the people directly to their right or left (your "sphere of influence"). If I Wrath, the dude across the table keeps his creatures unless he is "adjacent" in terms of people that are in the game, but the people to my left and right lose their creatures (as do I). You cannot move outside your sphere of influence unless you are "pulled" beyond it. I'm a little fuzzy on what this means, but I know one example of this is that if a guy two spots from me Wraths I cannot respond to the Wrath, but if the player in between Wrath-guy and myself responds to the Wrath, I can respond in turn to whatever in-between-guy does. Static effects that you control (ex. Gaddock Teeg) also only work within your sphere. Spheres do not change until the current turn passes, meaning that if I kill the guy on my right (or he concedes), I don't see the person on his right until the turn ends.

4. There are a couple specific rules to make things more fair and sensible:
-All infinite combos stop at 3 iterations.
-No extra turns.
-You can't run both Nevinyrral's Disk and Darksteel Forge in the same deck.
-Abyssal Persecutor is banned since the other players in your sphere would simply ignore you.
-Deadeye Navigator is banned because nearly everyone at my LGS has made a deck abusing it at one point or another (curiously, it's not banned in our store for other Commander stuff)
-Turns are automatically passed after five minutes. If you do stuff at the end of the turn right before yours, for example "at EOT, I'll Top, then after Top-ing I'll untap and take my turn as normal", your timer would start when you Top.

I'm sure there are a couple details I missed but that's the general gist of it. The format's a lot of fun though it can be a bit tough to follow at first. Just think of it as a three-player EDH game where your opponents gang up on you, but where they in turn are also being ganged up upon. And your opponents will change a few times before it's all over. The fact that prizes are awarded for KOs also encourages active play and less durdling. It's a lot of fun but I'm sad that A. my store only does it once a month and I've had to miss the last two sessions, and B. I'm moving at year's end and don't know any other store that does this.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 27, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Hopping Ghost posted:

I like EDH a lot, but my playgroup doesn't play it nearly as much as we used to (partially my fault for building a Cube...) and lately I find myself thinking about picking just a couple decks and stripping down the rest to feed my Legacy habit. I'm definitely keeping Hanna, Ship's Navigator since she's my "best" deck and I can't rightly give her up with the Terese Nielsen judge foil on the way, but other than that I just can't choose. I haven't been able to work out a build for Tibor and Lumia that's both A. strong enough to keep up with my group and B. doesn't bore me (read: basically end up a Niv-Mizzet 1.0/Nekusar deck in disguise) so they're probably next on the chopping block :( Sorry guys, we'll always have that time I copied Time Spiral twice and finally drew into a Cerebral Vortex to hit the Kaalia player for exactly lethal over his Gisela...

This is not really looking for advice or anything, just noticing that it bums me out a little to think of taking apart EDH decks in a way I've never felt for another format. But I can kinda justify it by at least promising myself to keep the commanders themselves for old times' sake... Kinda... Dammit, you shiny little guys, don't look at me like that.

I think that's my favorite part of the format, that decks you spend a decent amount of time working on are something that you become attached to. They're much more individualized and personal while still being viable decks, which is something I haven't really found in other formats. Sure, my Merfolk deck in Modern and my Mono Green deck in Standard are usually a few cards different from the mirror matches I run into, but they're largely built around common cores that have been refined by better players who spend a lot more time that I can figuring out which build is viable. In EDH, I've been working on my Trostani deck since I opened one at the Prerelease. A year and a halfish later it's a double sleeved, japanese foil basiced monstrosity with a signed Gaea's Cradle, a separate token deck, and its own pile of dice to keep track of counters and extra creature tokens. Sure all Trostani decks play out pretty much the same, but I didn't start building it based off of a tournament winning deck. I dicked around on magiccards.info looking for different tokens and things that care about lifegain and jammed in a bunch of stuff I thought would be fun. I looked at other lists and asked for advice about tuning the deck up, but at the end of the day I went with the kind of cards I want to play with. Is Altar of Dementia the best alternate wincon I could play? Probably not, but I love responding to wraths by putting the top half of the wrather's deck in his yard or playing Avenger of Zendikar followed by a land with Doubling Season and Primal Vigor on board to put everyone else's deck to zero. Is Giant Adephage a good 7 drop? Not really, but it's fun to have a fleet of 7/7's that doubles until someone wraths or everyone's dead.

I have similar attachments to my other 2 1/2 EDH decks, even though I don't get to play nearly as much since I moved away from my old playgroup I can't see myself parting them out and trading them away or selling them. (To be fair, I don't think I'll parting out my Modern deck anytime soon either even though I don't play as much, but that has more to do with having picked up most of it while it was relatively cheap and not wanting to buy in to a new deck at today's prices.) There's a lot of good memories with my EDH decks, moreso than any other Magic stuff I do.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, that's what I like about EDH too, it allows me to flex my deckbuilding chops (constructed wise) and in the process you get a deck that you can really call your own. I don't have the experience nor the staples to try brewing legacy or modern decks and then seeing how they do at tournaments (i.e: probably losing to established decks).

The format is not without its faults though, but it's cool to play over some beers if you have a playgroup that you're also good friends with.

Anyone running Teferi? This is my Teferi deck and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm a control player at heart and so this is my favorite deck probably, but it does cause a lot of feelbads when it combos out sometimes. I feel like combos are the only reliable win condition for mono blue control, and I'm not the kind of player to play sub-par decks just to give other people a chance to durdle around more. I like building good, strong decks. Plus EDH games take long enough as it is.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Free Derevi! Then, make her a Judge Promo!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

BXCX posted:

A year and a halfish later it's a double sleeved, japanese foil basiced monstrosity with a signed Gaea's Cradle, a separate token deck, and its own pile of dice to keep track of counters and extra creature tokens.

Oh man, I am all about specialized gear to go with my decks. I haven't gone too far with any of them, but I remember the reaction I got with Ghost Council of Orzhova, on a Godless Shrine playmat, the first time I cast Elspeth and reached for an enormous d10 with a different one of the Ten Commandments carved into each face. Hey, this is the closest I've got to a D&D group these days.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My goal when playing EDH is alternatively: like a political grand strategy game with brokered alliances and traded favors, or "make nerds mad" which is why my very own EDH deck is this: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bant-merfolk-edh-ft-derevi/

Still not as bad as whenever we are stupid enough to let one of the guys play his deck with Shahrazad, tutors and recursion in it. :suicide:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Bonus posted:

Yeah, that's what I like about EDH too, it allows me to flex my deckbuilding chops (constructed wise) and in the process you get a deck that you can really call your own. I don't have the experience nor the staples to try brewing legacy or modern decks and then seeing how they do at tournaments (i.e: probably losing to established decks).

The format is not without its faults though, but it's cool to play over some beers if you have a playgroup that you're also good friends with.

Anyone running Teferi? This is my Teferi deck and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm a control player at heart and so this is my favorite deck probably, but it does cause a lot of feelbads when it combos out sometimes. I feel like combos are the only reliable win condition for mono blue control, and I'm not the kind of player to play sub-par decks just to give other people a chance to durdle around more. I like building good, strong decks. Plus EDH games take long enough as it is.

I don't have a Teferi commander deck, but he is a necessary staple in my Grand Arbiter deck. Gotta love Knowledge Pool and Teferi.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

My local group finally convinced me to get started on a Commander deck, but I'm a bit lost, to be honest. I picked up the Jeleva pre constructed deck, took out things I hated and put in a bunch of stuff I had laying around. The mana base could use some work, I'm aware, but these are lands I had handy.

The deck started as abusing Jeleva heavily to cast expensive spells for free, but I've changed it somewhat to play better in the early-ish game, as I found I was sitting around doing nothing for a good chunk of the matches. I should probably try to throw Swiftfoot Boots back in, or Lightning Greaves if I can find them, but I haven't yet.

I also need a fancy name for the deck, if anybody's got any suggestions!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Hobojim posted:

My local group finally convinced me to get started on a Commander deck, but I'm a bit lost, to be honest. I picked up the Jeleva pre constructed deck, took out things I hated and put in a bunch of stuff I had laying around. The mana base could use some work, I'm aware, but these are lands I had handy.

The deck started as abusing Jeleva heavily to cast expensive spells for free, but I've changed it somewhat to play better in the early-ish game, as I found I was sitting around doing nothing for a good chunk of the matches. I should probably try to throw Swiftfoot Boots back in, or Lightning Greaves if I can find them, but I haven't yet.

Swiftfoot Boots should definitely go back in. Pick up a Whispersilk Cloak too.

Hmmm I think it was bhsman who had a creatureless Jeleva deck...I know someone posted one back in the MTG deck thread.

I personally went the Nekusar route.

Also, Teferi and Knowledge Pool probably wouldn't hurt you...

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

OssiansFolly posted:

Swiftfoot Boots should definitely go back in. Pick up a Whispersilk Cloak too.

Hmmm I think it was bhsman who had a creatureless Jeleva deck...I know someone posted one back in the MTG deck thread.

I personally went the Nekusar route.

Also, Teferi and Knowledge Pool probably wouldn't hurt you...

Possibility Storm / Teferi works as well.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

BXCX posted:

You might want to have a backup in case someone's feeling pedantic since Mystic technically doesn't start as Legendary. Odric can be a reasonable substitution if need be.

You might want to up the land count/mana sources to around 38ish, I know it seems like 35 is enough but you're likely going to have a hard time casting Sun Titan reliably.

There's a lot of good (and cheap) stuff in Theros Block that can give you enchantments and dudes:
-Any of the Bestow dudes, the most expensive (Eidolon of Countless Battles) is under $3 and most are bulk that you could pick up off the floor after a draft.
-Heroic guys, especially Hero of Iroas. Phalanx Leader can pump your whole team, Fabled Hero can do some work with double strike, and Dawnbringer Charioteers can help gain you some life back.
-Heliod is miles better than Serra's Blessing and is one of the cheaper gods.
-Spear of Heliod pumps your team, is an enchantment, and can be a rattlesnake to ward off attackers
-Banishing Light is your second copy of Oblivion Ring

Other stuff:
-Open the Vaults is likely to benefit you more than anyone else, especially if you're running more enchantment creatures
-Faith's Reward/Second Sunrise might also be good for you since you're going to suffer from removal than anyone else since you're running a lot of auras
-You might want to look in to more artifact tutors if you want to run the Empire trio, they're not that impressive on their own and you'll have a hard time drawing all three

Here's a link to (a maybe outdated version of) my Mono White Soldiers deck. It's similar to your deck but is all in on tribal, but it is limited to Modern legal cards so there's some good stuff you're running that I skipped.

Thanks for the help, my deck is updated and I'm probably going to start assembling it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Hobojim posted:

As Ossian mentioned, I built a Creatureless Jeleva deck (though I would probably switch that up to add some creatures nowadays) a few months ago and it was capable of stuff like this:

On the other hand, it lacks a strong board presence a lot of the time, and the high number of sorceries mean you aren't interacting a whole lot outside of some counterspells during opponents' turns, and that exiling people's stuff often makes you 'the target' when they aren't familiar with the deck. The upside is that even if you aren't able to cast Jeleva, you run enough mana rocks to reliably turn into a Grixis Goodstuff.dec with a sub-theme of stealing spells/creatures/stuff in general.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I like EDH because the only time I can make it to my LGS is on weekends, which is when all the EDH events happen. It also lets me make a good and/or fun deck with "bad" or old cards. I'm also blessed with what I think is a good playgroup, because when I go there's usually not much in the way of hurt feelings.

As far as decks go, I have a few but my Captain Sisay deck is definitely my pride-and-joy. Half ramp-to-awesome-dudes, half legendary toolbox. Probably starting to get too close to "un-fun good" but it still folds hard to a few different things. It's also why I know the exact mana requirements for an overloaded Cyclonic Rift :v:

Was going to post this in the main thread before I saw this thread-

For pickup EDH games my store has a copy of each pre-con that they keep tucked away with the oversized cards that came with each deck, and you pick your general (and thus your deck) at random from those. It's a fun way to make sure things are more balanced even if the overall power level suffers.

Also let me go back through the main thread to find the post I made about the "Grand Melee" format my store also does, it's a lot of fun and I think eliminates some of the issues people have with the format re: game speed and I would love to see other stores use it.

We nearly have the same Sisay deck. I just have less Legendary creatures and a bit more ramp. How are you liking Ajani? He seemed a little weak to me to have in the deck, and that I'd rather have another Garruk or something instead. There's a lot of updating I'm going to do to the deck after Conspiracy comes out. I never thought about Mindslaver - that's a great idea with Sisay.

Null1fy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 23, 2014

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Commander thread means I get to link my favourite commander deck I have built! Tromokratis Voltron! http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/voltron-kratis/

The deck used to have a few other things in it, like a pinger theme, but then I realised that Voltron is kinda bad a lot of the time (epsecially mono-blue) in multiplayer. SO I made it a bit more controlling. I mean, it does have the possibility of counterspell on an isochron scepter, but I'd much rather imprint High Tide on it for the worlds best mana rock. (Some people shudder when I cast a capsize with buyback. Then they see me regularly not casting it with mana open going into my turn, and realise I want a fun game, not stupid control lockout.)

It's still more of a Voltron deck than anything else really, as everything is made to make sure I hit with Tromokratis, and try to make sure that hit is lethal.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

mehall posted:

Commander thread means I get to link my favourite commander deck I have built! Tromokratis Voltron! http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/voltron-kratis/

The deck used to have a few other things in it, like a pinger theme, but then I realised that Voltron is kinda bad a lot of the time (epsecially mono-blue) in multiplayer. SO I made it a bit more controlling. I mean, it does have the possibility of counterspell on an isochron scepter, but I'd much rather imprint High Tide on it for the worlds best mana rock. (Some people shudder when I cast a capsize with buyback. Then they see me regularly not casting it with mana open going into my turn, and realise I want a fun game, not stupid control lockout.)

It's still more of a Voltron deck than anything else really, as everything is made to make sure I hit with Tromokratis, and try to make sure that hit is lethal.

I was thinking about a Whelming Wave Tribal Tromokratis Deck but ended up building Odric Soldiers instead. One thing I can recommend is mana doublers like Caged Sun and Extraplanar Lens (with Snow Islands of course). Proteus Staff is great with mind control effects and Archeaomancer and Mnemonic Wall are great inclusions you can get the Whelming Wave lock going.

I do need to pick up a Foil Archetype of Imagination, it can be such a brutal finisher if nobody is expecting it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, here is my current build for commander. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zambi/

I took a big fatty and turned it into zombie tribal. Also because he looked cool.
A repost from the brewhaus.

Honestly I have a bad place in my heart for jank. So of course I find this guy in a legendary list one day and decide to see how he plays. Well, when he gets out, he gets there. I honestly title the deck "If you died only once, you're doing it wrong!" But I'm still having trouble with having bunk hands after messing with this. (the deck has been altered a tad. Mostly in adding Vivid Crag and messing with it a bit) It was still hilarious one game to steal the opponent's Gisela with nicol bolas and then proceed to murder the entire table with Lightning Reaver. Yeah one problem is that I don't play the Commander of the deck as often as others do.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BXCX posted:

I was thinking about a Whelming Wave Tribal Tromokratis Deck but ended up building Odric Soldiers instead. One thing I can recommend is mana doublers like Caged Sun and Extraplanar Lens (with Snow Islands of course). Proteus Staff is great with mind control effects and Archeaomancer and Mnemonic Wall are great inclusions you can get the Whelming Wave lock going.

I do need to pick up a Foil Archetype of Imagination, it can be such a brutal finisher if nobody is expecting it.

Most of the time in the deck, Wave is a 4aman Upheaval (great!) that doesn't hit your commander (double great!) but every now and again you'll have a few other guys out that aren't affected and it's like you just overloaded Cyclonic Rift, but for 4 mana.(That great feeling is why I added Cylconic Rift, funnily enough!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What's with all this 'ramp' and 'combo' and 'tribal' nonsense? Magic is about playing lots of mans and hitting other people with said mans :colbert:

This is how it's done

This is my deck for MTGO; it loses more than it wins, but it's at least a lot different from the other decks I run into. I haven't updated it in a while, so I know there's definite improvements to be made.