Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Here's a good deck for grinding SCG side events and stuff: http://deck.tk/6SrF3ZNO

Hermit Druid with Worldgorger backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I got the Oloro Commander deck and have been retooling it for life gain with the win condition of Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood or Felidar Sovereign, unfortunately that's not really enough and I usually end up being more of a roadblock for the big creature decks. Most of the time I end up losing to some combo that I can't stop that either mills my deck or does knocks my life to 0 at 1 damage increments. I still have fun because I've been able to stop some people from doing ridiculous things like draw 9 cards on an attack but it bugs me that this casual fun format is usually won by difficult to stop combos.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I got the Oloro Commander deck and have been retooling it for life gain with the win condition of Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood or Felidar Sovereign, unfortunately that's not really enough and I usually end up being more of a roadblock for the big creature decks. Most of the time I end up losing to some combo that I can't stop that either mills my deck or does knocks my life to 0 at 1 damage increments. I still have fun because I've been able to stop some people from doing ridiculous things like draw 9 cards on an attack but it bugs me that this casual fun format is usually won by difficult to stop combos.

Add Urza's Armor and an Eldrazi. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I want my next Commander deck to be tribal elves. Can anyone link some really solid builds? I've done some research and I've seen a bunch of lists but most of them look bad and I wanna run a good solid deck.

Also is a good elf deck better for 1 on 1 or multiplayer?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I want my next Commander deck to be tribal elves. Can anyone link some really solid builds? I've done some research and I've seen a bunch of lists but most of them look bad and I wanna run a good solid deck.

My school club did a 1 v 1 EDH tournament once and one guy brought in this commander. If you do things right, you win before anyone can react for the most part. In multiplayer... too many people to kill generally before it got wrath'd.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Null1fy posted:

We nearly have the same Sisay deck. I just have less Legendary creatures and a bit more ramp. How are you liking Ajani? He seemed a little weak to me to have in the deck, and that I'd rather have another Garruk or something instead. There's a lot of updating I'm going to do to the deck after Conspiracy comes out. I never thought about Mindslaver - that's a great idea with Sisay.

You actually posted your Sisay list a few months ago and I took a few cues from that :v: Ajani is a brand-new addition and honestly I haven't had a chance to play with him yet. It's yet another card advantage engine which might be redundant at this point, but the deck really wins through burying the opposition in card advantage.

E: Seriously, I had this board state-

(not pictured: Multani and Kozilek I played right after this), then lost it all to Sudden Spoiling into Nev's Disk, THEN had my entire graveyard exiled the following turn before I could tuck things back into my library. I still won because I was able to rebuild my board state so much faster than everyone else.

Elephant Ambush posted:

A guy at my LGS has a totally rad Rhys the Redeemed deck that can vomit out thousands of tokens without much effort. I don't know the decklist off the top of my head but I know Voice of the Woods and Eldrazi Monument being key to his strategy. And Doubling Season, obviously.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 24, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Heyo, looking for any advice on a mono black deck I made. My commander is Skithiryx (Because I love blight dragons :3:)

http://deckstats.net/decks/7504/93293-edh-skithiryx

Currently on the look out for Necropotence, Caged Sun and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. I'd probably replace Faceless Butcher and Liliana of the Dark Realms for them. And a swamp for Urborg.

I really like Spine of Ish Tah for removal but I don't really have a reliable way to sac/destroy it. Might replace it with a Worst Fears?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Your best generals for Elves are:
Edric
Gaddock Teeg
Karona
Momir Vig
Phelddagrif
Yeva

They each have their merits. If you decide on a general, I can give you a decent shell to go with them, though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone have a sample decklist for an artifacts-based EDH deck? I found out mishra's workshop wasn't banned in EDH even though tolarian academy is so I'd like to make a deck with that in mind. Colorless or blue would be a good base, since I can use transmute with blue and hopefully slam the workshop or tabernacle as often as I can.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone have a sample decklist for an artifacts-based EDH deck? I found out mishra's workshop wasn't banned in EDH even though tolarian academy is so I'd like to make a deck with that in mind. Colorless or blue would be a good base, since I can use transmute with blue and hopefully slam the workshop or tabernacle as often as I can.

I can't recall seeing any blue artifact EDH decks on random internet searches (granted I wasn't really looking for blue decks in general), but there is this Karn, Silver Golem deck: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/1278

Otherwise, as far as a potential blue commander goes, Arcum Dagsson looks like a fun card to get artifacts out of your deck.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 24, 2014

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Ramos posted:

My school club did a 1 v 1 EDH tournament once and one guy brought in this commander. If you do things right, you win before anyone can react for the most part. In multiplayer... too many people to kill generally before it got wrath'd.

Yeah, my club had a 2v2 tourney running him, it was loving disgusting he got half of his deck out by turn 5 or so and just trampled in for the kill. It was a sight to behold

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Deckit posted:

Heyo, looking for any advice on a mono black deck I made. My commander is Skithiryx (Because I love blight dragons :3:)

I would personally skip on Caged Sun, its so expensive, when I can ramp to it early there is almost always something else I'd rather cast and later in the game it just doesn't feel like its doing much for me.

Lashwrithe is better than Nightmare Lash to me, It can cost 4 to equip, or it can cost 2 black and it comes into play with a body which is a definite bonus.

Volrath's Stronghold seems pretty good for a deck brimming with creatures. Nykthos might also do some work for your mana ramping.

You seem to want to play a lot of your favorite creatures. Black gives you access to a lot of of really good reanimation spells, and cards like entomb and buried alive become almost like tutors when your graveyard is a resource. There is the risk that you open yourself up to plentiful graveyard hate but I think its worth the risk. You might want to look into cutting some of the cards you're getting the least use of to find space for some sort of reanimation package.

You are also just missing what I would consider tons of staples, especially in Mono Black. Damnation, Vampiric Tutor, Grave Titan, Overwhelming Forces, Yawgmoth's Will. I'd probably put those things on your list.

Chill la Chill posted:

Sounds like you want a Memnarch Deck. Which abuses Blue Control/Draw and Mana Rocks to make everything artifacts and take control of them to win.

The lists vary wildly, mostly because of budget, You could run a good deck without spending too much money or you can start with Workshop, Mana Crypt, Mana Drain, Force, and already be close to 1000 dollars. The key cards are Basalt/Grim Monolith and Power Artifact/Rings of Brighthearth to make infinity mana which you can abuse with Memnarch.

He's only allowed sometimes though because he hurts peoples feelings. It's not a big deal though, you can just have him and Teferi switch places, find him with any of your many search tools, and win.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 24, 2014

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Hey, so I'm working on my first EDH deck, and I was planning on some kind of heavy enchantment-based deck in Esper. I haven't decided on exactly what I'm doing, but my main question is: how common are effects like Fracturing Gust in Commander, and if they're common, how exactly do I avoid just losing to them?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Myriad Truths posted:

Hey, so I'm working on my first EDH deck, and I was planning on some kind of heavy enchantment-based deck in Esper. I haven't decided on exactly what I'm doing, but my main question is: how common are effects like Fracturing Gust in Commander, and if they're common, how exactly do I avoid just losing to them?

Most decks will have something that can wipe enchantments, either something like Austere Command or Oblivion Stone or whatever, or at the very least you're bound to run in to at least one player with one in a multiplayer game. Probably your best answers are either just counters, stuff that discourages the wipe like Karmic Justice, or recursion like Replenish or Open the Vaults, and probably all of the above should find its way into your deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Myriad Truths posted:

From what I've seen it's single-target removal. Everyone plays swords and lightning greaves etc. so people want things like disenchant and krosan grip to get rid of them, and at the same time everyone plays swords and lightning greaves so no one plays board wipes as they'd hit their own that way.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Most decks will have something that can wipe enchantments, either something like Austere Command or Oblivion Stone or whatever, or at the very least you're bound to run in to at least one player with one in a multiplayer game. Probably your best answers are either just counters, stuff that discourages the wipe like Karmic Justice, or recursion like Replenish or Open the Vaults, and probably all of the above should find its way into your deck.

Thanks, I had thought of Karmic Justice as the most amusing option against those kinds of effects. I might have to stoop to playing a counterspell or two as well, which I had not originally thought too serious.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Myriad Truths posted:

Thanks, I had thought of Karmic Justice as the most amusing option against those kinds of effects. I might have to stoop to playing a counterspell or two as well, which I had not originally thought too serious.

Play Enchanted Evening. If they want to wipe your enchantments they wipe the entire board. :getin:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tardigrade posted:

Play Enchanted Evening. If they want to wipe your enchantments they wipe the entire board. :getin:

Then play Faith's Reward and/or Aura Thief because screw 'em for messing with your stuff.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Honestly I run Devastation Tide because Top -> Miracle board bounce is hysterical and I am an rear end in a top hat.

Would a Brimaz edh be viable? I'm trying to help someone make a deck and he's looking to be the choice.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

I would personally skip on Caged Sun, its so expensive, when I can ramp to it early there is almost always something else I'd rather cast and later in the game it just doesn't feel like its doing much for me.

Lashwrithe is better than Nightmare Lash to me, It can cost 4 to equip, or it can cost 2 black and it comes into play with a body which is a definite bonus.

Volrath's Stronghold seems pretty good for a deck brimming with creatures. Nykthos might also do some work for your mana ramping.

You seem to want to play a lot of your favorite creatures. Black gives you access to a lot of of really good reanimation spells, and cards like entomb and buried alive become almost like tutors when your graveyard is a resource. There is the risk that you open yourself up to plentiful graveyard hate but I think its worth the risk. You might want to look into cutting some of the cards you're getting the least use of to find space for some sort of reanimation package.

You are also just missing what I would consider tons of staples, especially in Mono Black. Damnation, Vampiric Tutor, Grave Titan, Overwhelming Forces, Yawgmoth's Will. I'd probably put those things on your list.

Well, dang, I got a caged sun today. Oh well! I'll probably find some use for it. Nightmare Lash I have on hand, but Lashwrithe would definitely be better for the body alone. I had considered Volrath's Stronghold and Entomb, but everyone is running Bojuka bog, with a fair amount of people running enough "I'll take your creatures from your graveyard" that I'll sometimes Bojuka myself to stop that poo poo.

I picked up a Mutilate that I'm probably adding in, so I'll probably stay away from Damnation unless I can find someone with it. But its a pretty expensive card last I checked.

I'd love a Grave Titan and Yagmoth's will. They're on my list of 'to get.' I am running a vampiric tutor in the deck though.

After today's 2HG tournament, I think I might be going Dimir. I miss having counterspells and access to the whacky blues spells.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sorry about that its Demonic Tutor that is missing from your list not Vampiric. I just knew you where missing one of the good tutors.

Didn't think Damnation would be a budget concern for the man running Grim Tutor though. Mutilate is an excellent option.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, so I am making a Mishra EDH deck and I am currently in the process of finding all of the wonky cards that combo with him.

So far I have found:

Possibility Storm
Nether Void (Never going to afford this regardless)
Blood Funnel
Nullstone Gargoyle
Ice Cave
Thada Adel (People usually run Sol Ring, right?)

It's a strictly for laughs deck, but I'd still like to make sure I can jump through as many hoops as possible with him.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

I built this deck nearly verbatim, as in, I have only replaced maybe 2 cards from his list. I don't really like to draw from other people's lists but his looked so incredibly broken and fun I just had to build it. It is ridiculous and with Mishra's Workshop... My God.

Sep 13, 2007
This (http://deckstats.net/deck-4210103-451743a16e5c61d32b78c00efd477e61.html) is my modified Oloro deck. It's sort of a budget deck, I can't afford fetchlands and the like. Originally it was more about life gain but I found I couldn't win or do much besides durdle so I've been moving more towards offense. While Felidar could be a win condition it usually gets rid of some hate and I don't mind that. I'm curious about my lands since I'm afraid that is going to be the most expensive part to work on with a bunch of the mediocre stuff I got from the precon commander deck.

e: I've been looking at some lands. Here's a list of some cheap lands I have in mind: Vivid Creek, Vivid Marsh, Vivid Meadow, Seachrome Coast, Caves of Koilos, Adakar Wastes, Drowned Catacomb, Underground River, Glacial Fortress, Sejiri Refuge, Darkslick Shores, and Grand Coliseum. Also I want to replace Condemn with Swords to Plowshares.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 26, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

Sorry about that its Demonic Tutor that is missing from your list not Vampiric. I just knew you where missing one of the good tutors.

Didn't think Damnation would be a budget concern for the man running Grim Tutor though. Mutilate is an excellent option.

Grim Tutor is one of those cards I've had since I was 5 or 6 and cracked one from a pack, threw it into a box, then rediscovered it when I was older. :allears:

Oraculum Animi posted:

This (http://deckstats.net/deck-4210103-451743a16e5c61d32b78c00efd477e61.html) is my modified Oloro deck. It's sort of a budget deck, I can't afford fetchlands and the like. Originally it was more about life gain but I found I couldn't win or do much besides durdle so I've been moving more towards offense. While Felidar could be a win condition it usually gets rid of some hate and I don't mind that. I'm curious about my lands since I'm afraid that is going to be the most expensive part to work on with a bunch of the mediocre stuff I got from the precon commander deck.

e: I've been looking at some lands. Here's a list of some cheap lands I have in mind: Vivid Creek, Vivid Marsh, Vivid Meadow, Seachrome Coast, Caves of Koilos, Adakar Wastes, Drowned Catacomb, Underground River, Glacial Fortress, Sejiri Refuge, Darkslick Shores, and Grand Coliseum. Also I want to replace Condemn with Swords to Plowshares.

A lot of those lands are fairly cheap. The one thing I liked a lot about Oloro was durdling forever until I assembled a win combo. Sanguine Bond into the field, play Serra Avatar and sac to Griselbrand's Disciple. :allears:

Just keep a Deicide or Revoke Existence for the inevitable Erebos that gets played against you. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably try a modified mix of the kozilek and Memnarch decks to start.

Rules clarification: can anyone play Urborg because it is colorless or is there a dumb rule that Sheldon and friends decided to implement like the DFC color identity crap? I might need to run Urborg if I'm running a tabernacle for those pesky token decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably try a modified mix of the kozilek and Memnarch decks to start.

Rules clarification: can anyone play Urborg because it is colorless or is there a dumb rule that Sheldon and friends decided to implement like the DFC color identity crap? I might need to run Urborg if I'm running a tabernacle for those pesky token decks.

Yep! It's legal in any deck. Play it with Kormus Bell and watch everyone team up on you. I've gotten conflicting information if basics are allowed in colorless decks. I've heard yes because the blue mana symbol is in the reminder text and not the rules text, and I've heard no because you can't play a land that produces mana of a color that doesn't match your commander. I don't care either way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Yep! It's legal in any deck. Play it with Kormus Bell and watch everyone team up on you. I've gotten conflicting information if basics are allowed in colorless decks. I've heard yes because the blue mana symbol is in the reminder text and not the rules text, and I've heard no because you can't play a land that produces mana of a color that doesn't match your commander. I don't care either way.

Not sure if this is relevant to your answer, but Memnarch counts as a mono-blue general as he has U in his rules text. So if you're running what is ostensibly an artifact deck but you have Memnarch leading it, you can use Islands. This is also why both Rhys the Exiled and Thelon of Havenwood are GB generals rather than mono-green. Though, come to think of it, I'm not sure how many legendaries there are like this.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Not sure if this is relevant to your answer, but Memnarch counts as a mono-blue general as he has U in his rules text. So if you're running what is ostensibly an artifact deck but you have Memnarch leading it, you can use Islands. This is also why both Rhys the Exiled and Thelon of Havenwood are GB generals rather than mono-green. Though, come to think of it, I'm not sure how many legendaries there are like this.

Bosh is the only other one I know it.. I meant if you're straight colorless, like Kozilek or something.

Sep 13, 2007

Deckit posted:

Grim Tutor is one of those cards I've had since I was 5 or 6 and cracked one from a pack, threw it into a box, then rediscovered it when I was older. :allears:

A lot of those lands are fairly cheap. The one thing I liked a lot about Oloro was durdling forever until I assembled a win combo. Sanguine Bond into the field, play Serra Avatar and sac to Griselbrand's Disciple. :allears:

Just keep a Deicide or Revoke Existence for the inevitable Erebos that gets played against you. :colbert:

Yesterday he came out a lot and I was hoping for a Merciless Eviction, Detention Sphere, Act of Authority, or Return to Dust. Unfortunately he was never a creature so I couldn't do anything with him that way. I have all but the painlands on my want list to look for as well as Swords to Plowshares (it's somehow cheaper than Path to Exile at my store) and Davos of Metis since he's a fun-looking cheap card and his ability gets around any commander color issues. I try to keep my card budget low so I try to go for under $5 dollar cards.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

Kozilek should be built all-or-nothing. You'll regret ever building it unless you've got like 20 mana rocks. Memnarch is more consistent in that it has back-up counter magic and just stupid, stupid expensive blue cards like Omniscience and Enter the Infinite. In a Memnarch deck it is quite possible to have the rest of the deck win it for you with ever even needing to be cast.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm building a Vorel EDH deck to round out my collection, but it's way over the limit right now and I'm having a hard time seeing where the trim-able fat is. That's probably because it started out as a Simic Goodstuff deck, but now I'm trying to design it around counter funtimes with Evolve, Infect, and Proliferate with some Persist thrown in for good measure. Help a goon out? I'm trying to get it down 62 non-lands for now-

Deck: Vorel EDH (WIP)

Display deck statistics

There's a fair chunk of stuff that I once considered but didn't even list here, so let's just start with this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm not exactly sure what to cut, but you're missing some pretty good vorel cards, like Magistrate's Scepter, Darksteel Reactor, Pemmin's Aura, Freed From the Real, Zameck Guildmage, Seedborn Muse and Oran-Rief, the Vastwood.

Actually, here's a few pretty easy cuts: Simic Fluxmage, Hunting Moa, Chlorophant, Vigean Hydropon and Simic Guildmage.
Also, you shouldn't really be playing your signet. You're a green deck, you could play Nature's Lore in its place and generally get better results.

Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm building a Vorel EDH deck to round out my collection, but it's way over the limit right now and I'm having a hard time seeing where the trim-able fat is. That's probably because it started out as a Simic Goodstuff deck, but now I'm trying to design it around counter funtimes with Evolve, Infect, and Proliferate with some Persist thrown in for good measure. Help a goon out? I'm trying to get it down 62 non-lands for now-

Deck: Vorel EDH (WIP)

Display deck statistics

There's a fair chunk of stuff that I once considered but didn't even list here, so let's just start with this.

I'm looking at this deck and it only has 89 cards and 16 lands and not many mana dorks. Is there something missing?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Oraculum Animi posted:

I'm looking at this deck and it only has 89 cards and 16 lands and not many mana dorks. Is there something missing?

The fact that it's not an actual deck, and rather a list of cards I'm trying to thin down into a deck. Note that there are also no basic lands since I'll fill those in when I have my ~60 non-lands plus however many nonbasics.

E: Though your confusion makes me wonder if a Manaless Dredge-style EDH deck could be possible, or something with an extremely low land count.

Thanks for bringing those few cards to my attention, I knew about a couple of them already but I need to make space first before I start putting more money into the deck.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 27, 2014

Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

The fact that it's not an actual deck, and rather a list of cards I'm trying to thin down into a deck. Note that there are also no basic lands since I'll fill those in when I have my ~60 non-lands plus however many nonbasics.

Thanks for bringing those few cards to my attention, I knew about a couple of them already but I need to make space first before I start putting more money into the deck.

I will say that while Prophet of Kruphix is a good card it's extremely tedious in commander and it's one of the cards I hate most and will go out of my way to get rid of. I've have BG players who took more time on other people's turns because of that card. It's just a lovely card to play against.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
For posterity, here's my Ruhan Judo/Clone deck, as well as this Savra build I put together.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Oraculum Animi posted:

I will say that while Prophet of Kruphix is a good card it's extremely tedious in commander and it's one of the cards I hate most and will go out of my way to get rid of. I've have BG players who took more time on other people's turns because of that card. It's just a lovely card to play against.

I agree with this in a big way. If you want to run Prophet try to do so in a speedy manner, because it has a bad habit of slowing games down immensely when there are several players.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Deofuta posted:

I agree with this in a big way. If you want to run Prophet try to do so in a speedy manner, because it has a bad habit of slowing games down immensely when there are several players.

I rather love it in my Kruphix deck. It just means within the next several turns, I can spew out all of the krakens and other big things from my hand and just start going wild with damage.

It's kind of like the top in that way. The top isn't a slow card, but it can make people who are very deliberate end up being very slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ramos posted:

I rather love it in my Kruphix deck. It just means within the next several turns, I can spew out all of the krakens and other big things from my hand and just start going wild with damage.

It's kind of like the top in that way. The top isn't a slow card, but it can make people who are very deliberate end up being very slow.

Yeah, Prophet's significantly more interesting in conjunction with her god, since you can churn out 40 40/40 Hydras at instant speed with them. :getin: