Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LordSaturn posted:

I mean, if you really want it to be the same format, why call it by a different name?

this is assuming "cEDH" comes from competitively oriented players self-identifying and not from casual players trying to otherize people who like expensive mana rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I agree that people complain about other casual players over actual cEDH players, people playing 10 decks aren't gonna sit at casual tables anyway. It's more that in-between region right after tuned budget decks that gets people salty, I think.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LordSaturn posted:

I mean, if you really want it to be the same format, why call it by a different name?

we...we don't. cEDH is EDH. It always has been and always will be. The c just indicates the power level and mentality being brought to the table. It's no different than saying "I play low power-level or mid or etc"

We kinda discuss this all the time, you know.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's just shorthand to convey the fact that:

A) decks are built to win
B) it's played at the highest power level possible in the format
C) budget is (rarely) a factor
D) play decisions should optimize your chance to win

If you wanted to sit down before every game and go over that each time, you could. Or you could just say "hey, let's label that style as cEDH" and save yourself the time.

I really don't care about twitter drama or content makers being dumb. The format is in an amazingly healthy spot with a ton of options for all power levels. It's fun, fairly balanced, and *fun*. poo poo stirring is a good way to get views but it's not positive for the game, so I prefer to ignore it and not drag it into the thread here. For the most part, this is a chill place to talk about a format we all enjoy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I play a lot of magic.
I play a lot of limited.
I play a lot of vintage cube.

I play a lot of magic.
I play a lot of edh.
I play a lot of cedh.

It's a subset, not a competitor.

This shouldn't be that hard.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

My Walmart had dockside precons still on the shelves as recently as Halloween, the magic the gathering players here are too small of a group for there to be 100 precons at every Walmart within driving distance, but never the less the spice must flow I guess

I had a slight memory I'd seen them recently and yep, my Walmart still has three of the Dockside pre-cons sitting

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

I had a slight memory I'd seen them recently and yep, my Walmart still has three of the Dockside pre-cons sitting

The Target and Meijer closest to my house are also directly sandwiching a LGS so every good precon gets bought up immediately, which is unfortunate.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Is there a good iOS app for constructing and uploading decklists for critique?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Clawtopsy posted:

Is there a good iOS app for constructing and uploading decklists for critique?

Just use the moxfield website? Is there some reason you need an app over a website?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So the Stax Koma deck was fun as hell but it locked down the board easily and my buddies got pissy about it so I think I need to redesign it to a token heavy, go wide with big damage and individual removal.

I'm also hoping my friends realize removal is important and stop focusing only on their decks winning but adding removal to stop other people from winning. Over 4 games we went close to 20 turns with zero Stax effects out and not a single exile or removal effect was pointed at Koma.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

pseudanonymous posted:

Just use the moxfield website? Is there some reason you need an app over a website?

I have frequent connectivity issues that can tank what I have entered on other sites

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Clawtopsy posted:

I have frequent connectivity issues that can tank what I have entered on other sites

Moxfield autosaves after every change.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Rythe posted:

Over 4 games we went close to 20 turns with zero Stax effects out and not a single exile or removal effect was pointed at Koma.

Jesus, that sounds miserable. What the heck kind of decks are in that group? Precons modified to be worse?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aranan posted:

Jesus, that sounds miserable. What the heck kind of decks are in that group? Precons modified to be worse?

TBF, I can see no one wanting to use removal on Koma when it's just going to blank it. That said, even the precons have SOME kind of interaction.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Spot removal can be a hard medium against Koma, but then again, Koma's like a 3/10 on the threat scale so whatever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Helm of the Host is funny for Koma, you get a new Koma and each Koma makes more serpents.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Yeah helm is super fun in it but all the decks I play against are all fairly tuned and fairly high in power but they are all very focused on hitting cards to help themselves win. Spot removal gets over looked alot and I'm trying to subtlety teach them that streamlined decks are great but not stopping an opponent from winning is important to.

My other group i play with will love Stax Koma and we run so much exile and removal threats don't stay around long.

Toshimo posted:

Spot removal can be a hard medium against Koma, but then again, Koma's like a 3/10 on the threat scale so whatever.

Agreed but Koma is a super fun casual commander that can get stupid fast, none of use are CEDH players and a turn 4 Koma is a pain to deal with if you don't have a exile effect.

I'm going to keep the stax set up for my other group and turn Koma into a big rear end smashy deck.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 16, 2021

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I can't believe my Orah cleric tribal deck pulled off two wins yesterday! Turns out there's enough decent creatures that are incidentally clerics to put a deck together, and getting them back from the yard for free is good.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Reminding people here who are interested, I have spent thousand of dollars printing proxies for myself and friends. I'm planning on putting in another order at the end of the month and am going to experiment on full proxy decks. The cost per card is under 20 cents if you order their biggest 'deck' (632 cards)

I'm not allowed to post details here because of :filez:, but if you are curious, you can PM me to request the deets.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Let's do some theory crafting, if you where to design a deck that is 35 lands and say 50-55 removal spells what would you run as a commander and win con?

I kind of want to build a kill everything troll deck.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Sounds like Syr Konrad to me.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Rythe posted:

Let's do some theory crafting, if you where to design a deck that is 35 lands and say 50-55 removal spells what would you run as a commander and win con?

https://www.goonhammer.com/commander-focus-take-it-to-the-limit-aegar-the-freezing-flame/

This is basically a deck that tries to give your opponents creatures and uses mass removal spells with the new "excess damage" mechanic to draw cards and kill everyone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rythe posted:

Thraximundar Grixis control

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Tariel pact/reanimator if we wanna get spicy with 7cmc commanders

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Child of Alara also has extreme meme potential in terms of “no one ever gets to have anything”

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

Child of Alara also has extreme meme potential in terms of “no one ever gets to have anything”

This is the correct answer. When your commander is board wipe on a stick which gives you access to literally All The Removal, there isn't much else to say.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

This was my first idea actually but I need to find ways to win other than people quiting. I know the deck wouldn't be serious but it has a chance to be fun and could be interesting to brew.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Rythe posted:

Elsha of the Infinite can be pretty lean on wincon and just lean on value, and is part of a draw-your-deck combo with Sensei's Divining Top, or can get really big with Prowess and storming. Plus Jeskai has a lot of control oriented removal and countermagic spells. And if you draw your deck, Thassa's Oracle is an easy single-card include.

Pako/Haldan are also pretty solid, just beating face with Pako and keeping the board clear with "drawing" 4 extra cards every time you attack is pretty effective. My cEDH Pako deck is pretty close to ramp + removal + Pako as a decklist and wins a LOT of games just by casting random stuff off the top of everyone's deck and attacking.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

Elsha of the Infinite can be pretty lean on wincon and just lean on value, and is part of a draw-your-deck combo with Sensei's Divining Top, or can get really big with Prowess and storming. Plus Jeskai has a lot of control oriented removal and countermagic spells. And if you draw your deck, Thassa's Oracle is an easy single-card include.

Pako/Haldan are also pretty solid, just beating face with Pako and keeping the board clear with "drawing" 4 extra cards every time you attack is pretty effective. My cEDH Pako deck is pretty close to ramp + removal + Pako as a decklist and wins a LOT of games just by casting random stuff off the top of everyone's deck and attacking.

Mind sharing your decklist for Pako and the good boy? I like the combination the commander's offer and how unique they are.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Rythe posted:

Mind sharing your decklist for Pako and the good boy? I like the combination the commander's offer and how unique they are.
This is Pako and Haldan, but it's a 100% budgetless cEDH deck, so might want to switch some stuff around in a less cutthroat metagame. I do stuff like infinite turns in there on top of the "fair" stuff. Instead of running 50 removal spells, I run 25, and then a bunch of reusable card draw and recursion.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Rw2WYRuMGEm6JZ9tqQSnJw

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I love me a budgetless deck but if my friends see me get 5 mana on turn 2 again they may not invite me any more. I can take a cedh list and bring it down in level, I actually find it alot more fun playing lower powered environments lately. It's alot more relaxed and you see so much more unique interactions.

I'll check out your decklist and see what hotness you brought, thanks for the link.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I absolutely love my Ashling, the Extinguisher deck, it does its best to kill every creature it can.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That brings back memories of 60 card table top magic when I was younger and that was a feared creature to run up against. So much fun to buff up and murder everything.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Thraximundar Grixis control

Yeah this. I used to have a Thraximundar deck designed for 1v1; it was just a fuckton of discard, counter and removal with a splash of card advantage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Glissa the Traitor suffers not a creature to live, if you're looking for a serious removal commander.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

The Shortest Path posted:

Glissa the Traitor suffers not a creature to live, if you're looking for a serious removal commander.

:emptyquote:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
If you go the route of making people sacrifice their stuff and also add in some discard effects, Tergrid could work.

Blowing up everyone's stuff is great, but blowing it up and then killing them with their own cards is even better.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Tegrid is such a unique commander and I love everything about that design, the down side is the second that commander gets presented I feel like you are target #1.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was just going over this last night with my casual pod.

There are commanders that are inherently unfun to play against no matter what, if you’re constantly finding yourself in the position of not knowing what deck to play because you’re too concerned with power level, just pick a Commander that isn’t obviously gonna be a huge headache for your pod.

Anyone sitting down to a table with a Tergrid deck is essentially a Leovold//Braids player... they aren’t concerned with anyone else’s fun, and you shouldn’t feel bad about bullying them and killing them.

This is basically true of any Grave Pact strategy deck, kill on site until they make nicer decks lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My friend who hosts my pod has this incredibly insufferable Zedruu stax/pillowfort/group hug deck which they pull out every now and then and everyone's reaction is to loudly groan and make them target #1.