Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Zedru tends to always be the target, that's why you have to play 9 lives and take someone hostage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Zedru tends to always be the target, that's why you have to play 9 lives and take someone hostage.

"gently caress you donate" is a hilarious deck to play imo.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyone sitting down to a table with a Tergrid deck is essentially a Leovold//Braids player... they aren’t concerned with anyone else’s fun, and you shouldn’t feel bad about bullying them and killing them.

This is my eternal quandary. I sit down and make a list for Nath or Tinybones and get all excited, then realize I don't want to do that to my friends. So I never make the deck. I did the same thing for Tergrid and even snagged a nice showcase card for her that's sitting on my desk... but I don't know what to do with her. RIP.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A person I played Commander with had only one deck. Zur the enchanter. Built in such a way to make it so he was un-removable from the battlefield once it was committed, and gloated every time he won that clearly we just hadn't built our decks to counter his brilliance. He got real pissy when we started running tranquility effects and focusing him down before he landed his Commander.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look part of Magic is playing with your friends and part of Magic is destroying nerds who think they’re better than you and how you engage with those two wolves in your soul probably dictates how and where you choose to play and what you choose to build.

My personal take is “if you’re going to make everyone miserable, you CANT drag it out”. If you’re gonna run a hosed up and grisly Stax experience, then have a reliable and easy to tutor for win con so that you lock the table and WIN instead of locking the table and wasting 2 hours of everyone’s game time.

This is why I think Chaos is ultimately the most toxic form of deck building, because it just destroys everyone’s agency, and they only way to actually win is just to not play in the first place.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
When I was first got into magic it was common to see every other deck be monoblue counter/mill with an illusions of grandeur/donate alternate win con.

Does illusions of grandeur hold up today as a hate/donate card? I know it's not an instant win but that's a pretty cheap way to get 20 damage on someone .

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I think there are way better 2 card combos to do big damage on people.

Some combos just don't translate well to EDH.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Framboise posted:

I think there are way better 2 card combos to do big damage on people.

Some combos just don't translate well to EDH.

Absolutely, I should have restricted it to purely the context of Zedruu, since I guess 7 Mana to do 20 damage at some point in the future is a bit spendy.

Should I consider a 1 card plus commander interaction the same as a 2 card combo?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

This is why I think Chaos is ultimately the most toxic form of deck building, because it just destroys everyone’s agency, and they only way to actually win is just to not play in the first place.

Here here! :cheersdoge:

Whenever someone tosses out a long-form chaos spell like Scrambleverse, Warpworld, or (gently caress this card) Timesifter, I immediately scoop.

I've had to explain the nightmare that is Timsifter to multiple tables after some jerkass drops it, and it always turns into a bitchfest from the guy playing the card.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I grew up with “one card combo” meaning any card that combos with your commander on its own

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Grevlek posted:

Absolutely, I should have restricted it to purely the context of Zedruu, since I guess 7 Mana to do 20 damage at some point in the future is a bit spendy.

Should I consider a 1 card plus commander interaction the same as a 2 card combo?

I put donate in there just because, but almost all the best ones are black enchantments, which is why Zedruu isn't actually a good commander for the deck. Karona is great though because if you bother to bring Karona out, then just trade Karona for permanents.

https://www.goonhammer.com/commander-focus-karona-the-false-god-says-fu-have-this/

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Chaos is the bane of my existence and we have out right banned that style of play in my groups and even at the local store. It's such BS sitting there with dozens of triggers that players with 15-20 years of play experience are having issues resolving with no win in site.

Stax walks that fine line if you have a solid win con i love it but if your win con is stalling we just scoop and hate that player. Koma + Stax is a fun rear end mid level casual deck that does stax fine and presents multiple win cons.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I grew up with “one card combo” meaning any card that combos with your commander on its own

I always considered those "1.5" card combos since you still gotta cast and resolve the commander-- you just don't have to tutor or draw for it. :shrug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Framboise posted:

I always considered those "1.5" card combos since you still gotta cast and resolve the commander-- you just don't have to tutor or draw for it. :shrug:

godo is the half a-press card combo

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
So I had this idea to try and get my fiance into commander about a year ago. Her best friend's husband is into Magic, and I like Magic, and my fiance and her friend both liked Harry Potter, so I thought about making a commander deck for each of the Harry Potter houses. They were all gonna be blue plus another color, and headed up by an uncommon Legendary Human Wizard. So Azorius=Gryffindor, Simic=Ravenclaw, Izzet=Hufflepuff, and Dimir=Slytherine.

Every color but Dimir had a reasonable choice for the commanders, and Strixhaven was announced so I figured I'd give it a little time and see how that panned out.

Strixhaven didn't go the way I imagined it to, so I'm back to the drawing board. I've got Raff Capashen, Eutropia, and Adeliz lined up to be commanders, but I'm still trying to figure out who would be good for Dimir. Arumi and Narfi are uncommon, but they aren't humans. Arumi feels overpowered for this specific setup, and Narfi doesn't quuuite go with the the flavor of the other decks. The Dimir rares/mythics are either too powerful, or further removed from the flavor of the other decks too.

I like the idea that each of the decks tries to do a different thing, and I kind of want to build them around archetypes to teach different playstyles. The Gryffindor deck would be about flashing in at instant speed, the Ravenclaw deck would be about voltron, and the Hufflepuff deck would be about spellslinging and tribal pumping.

Do I just bite the bullet and do Arumi and call it graveyard recursion, or is there a non-legendary Dimir Human Wizard who could be a decent stand-in for for a Slytherin style wizard who does something that isn't captured by the other decks?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

godo is the half a-press card combo

Well listen here H.P. "Hovercraft" Yoshi....

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rythe posted:

Chaos is the bane of my existence and we have out right banned that style of play in my groups and even at the local store. It's such BS sitting there with dozens of triggers that players with 15-20 years of play experience are having issues resolving with no win in site.

Is there an actual definition for "chaos"?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Is there an actual definition for "chaos" other than "cards I don't like"?

There's a bunch of cards that basically just do things randomly, like mix up permanents, Scrambleverse, for example, that just sort of randomize things, and it also tends to be people doing things like playing Armageddon for no real reason, not because their deck runs without lands or can get lands back or anything just... because.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Thieves Auction, Hive Mind, Wild Innvocation, Scrambleverse and cards along that nature that typically cause mass chaos and prolongs the game alot. I'm not saying I hate those cards because I love the mechanics and the unique nature of those cards. What I hate is when 100% of the decks that play those, in my experience have zero win conditions. The decks are built to completely mess up the board state with wacky interactions that cause people to scoop rather than play a 3 hour game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudanonymous posted:

There's a bunch of cards that basically just do things randomly, like mix up permanents, Scrambleverse, for example, that just sort of randomize things, and it also tends to be people doing things like playing Armageddon for no real reason, not because their deck runs without lands or can get lands back or anything just... because.

Those are cards than need to be paired with other cards. Scrambleverse is wacky but doesn't advance things, whereas Scrambleverse followed by Brand wins the game.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Those are cards than need to be paired with other cards. Scrambleverse is wacky but doesn't advance things, whereas Scrambleverse followed by Brand wins the game.

Sure, and it's the difference between someone being an rear end in a top hat and just running stax cards for no reason, and decks that run asymmetric stax effects and non-asymmetric stax that their deck is better able to operate under, i.e. Urza.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The key difference, to me, is that while staxx pieces say “your cards don’t work or they don’t work as well” Chaos just says “your cards are meaningless and nothing works the way it’s designed to works and the text on the cards is basically irrelevant” so there’s just no point in like even playing once the chaos cards resolve

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Chaos is cool and I enjoy it, as a sometimes fooddeck

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Group hug and chaos decks are the only decks I won't play against. I'd rather sit down in a pod of 3 stax players.

Grevlek posted:

When I was first got into magic it was common to see every other deck be monoblue counter/mill with an illusions of grandeur/donate alternate win con.

Does illusions of grandeur hold up today as a hate/donate card? I know it's not an instant win but that's a pretty cheap way to get 20 damage on someone .

It just doesn't translate to commander. In normal games, doing 20 damage at once means you win most of the time. In commander, doing 20 damage means one person is at half and you still have 100 more damage to do before the table is dead.

Grevlek posted:

Since you're guaranteed to have access to your commander, it's usually not counted when mentioning how many cards are part of the combo. And yes, this means the traditional Godo deck is a "0 card combo" (cast Godo, tutor Helm of the Host, equip Helm, win the game).

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Aranan posted:

Group hug and chaos decks are the only decks I won't play against. I'd rather sit down in a pod of 3 stax players.

Is that why you won't play with us on the goon cedh discord? (Yes, I realize I haven't played in like 6 months, but school is to blame with that)

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 19, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Getting brutalized by a polite Canadian as his Root Maze chokes you to death is like the premier goon EDH experience

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

berenzen posted:

Is that why you won't play with us on the goon cedh discord? (Yes, I realize I haven't played in like 6 months, but school is to blame with that)

I'm hoping to get some games in tomorrow! Got my webcam hooked back up. :)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

berenzen posted:

Stax games tend to go longer than my attention span has capacity for lately as much as I love the puzzle-like nature of them. But mostly the reason I haven't played in our server is ~*~life burnout~*~ so yeah. Still pondering which decks to build next.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

We have a discord? drat I'm missing out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://discord.gg/swkHcvkZ

Everyone is welcome to hang and chat but we only really pod up for cEDH, so as long as you feel like your deck can compete, feel free.

We have a really good split of meta cEDH and competitive fringe as well. You’re just as likely to win with a strong home brew as you are to win with a net deck, we’re all pretty savvy with interaction and removal.

Also you can’t complain when I do huge bongrips into the camera, my mic is usually off anyway

We also have goons who just post and never play because they don’t own the cards, but obviously we are 100% proxy friendly and don’t mind even the wonkiest of camera set ups

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

https://discord.gg/swkHcvkZ

Everyone is welcome to hang and chat but we only really pod up for cEDH, so as long as you feel like your deck can compete, feel free.

We have a really good split of meta cEDH and competitive fringe as well. You’re just as likely to win with a strong home brew as you are to win with a net deck, we’re all pretty savvy with interaction and removal.

Also you can’t complain when I do huge bongrips into the camera, my mic is usually off anyway

We also have goons who just post and never play because they don’t own the cards, but obviously we are 100% proxy friendly and don’t mind even the wonkiest of camera set ups

(this, please do try to make your feed as clear as possible tho)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Grevlek posted:

as previously mentioned, you want something splashier than 20 damage on one person if you're playing "lovely xmas" Zedruu - someone already said Nine Lives, i'd also include Thought Lash, and Touch of the Eternal. then there's Form of the Dragon, Aggressive Mining, Statecraft, and then maaaybe Transcendence (you will die as a state-based effect if you're over 20 btw), and Delaying Shield. don't bother with the creature-type lovely gifts like Steel Golem

really though, i don't think it's too terribly good as a main strategy in the first place; Zedruu's really better at winning via draw, like with Approach of the Second Sun, The Locust God, Niv-Mizzet, Parun, Psychosis Crawler, etc. just a small package (heh) of crap gifts is all you need. and make sure to read up on what happens to cards you own when another player leaves the game

also here's a primer about combo builds that zedruu can enable, there's some funny esoteric ones in there

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there a guide somewhere for getting a good webcam setup for edh?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Typically if you’re playing at a desk near your computer, the simplest solution is to buy a webcam & a little arm to hold your webcam. The arm is like $15-$20, and a fine webcam is like $25-$30. The way everybody tends to set it up is so that a standard playmat fills the screen.

If that’s a hardship, Spelltable allows you to use your mobile device as your video input, which means you just need to figure out a way to suspend your phone above your cards. We play with discord, but Spelltable also comes with voice options.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i recommend a scissor arm over a flexible tube arm - the latter tends to shake quite a bit more and is more difficult to position the way you want for as long as you want, and they both cost about the same

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are you guys all huge Disco Elysium fans, or is there a very generous avatar patron who is?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
For anyone interested, Team Turn 3 will be livestreaming the King of the Chrome Conquest tournament today, starting at 11:30 Eastern.

https://twitch.tv/teamturnthree

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i recommend a scissor arm over a flexible tube arm - the latter tends to shake quite a bit more and is more difficult to position the way you want for as long as you want, and they both cost about the same

Seconding scissor arm.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hey, nerds. King of the Chrome just cut to the top 4 pod and it's:
2x Yuriko
Urza
Tayam

Watching some games earlier, it was pretty sweet, even if Cockatrice isn't the most visually appealing (or least clunky) thing.

We had stuff firing on all cylinders:
Several wins negated by timely Noxious Revival
Jorn Stasis locking people
Tevesh/Rograkh saccing Rograkh to make fast mana
Dargo/Jeska doming an entire table out for lethal commander damage in under 10 minutes
Congregation at Dawn doing a standin for Doomday for Selvala
Yuriko throwing Draco for 16 to the dome

It was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Where do the pathways fit in the hierarchy of quality duals for commander? I currently have the Khans fetches, and a full set of shocks, crowds and pains, plus a random scattering of hybrid filters and checks.