Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I imagine it will be like

The One Ring
Protection from Everything but Spirits
Indestructible
+Lots
Equip 1
Unequip 8
At the beginning of your end step, an opponent chosen at random gains control of the creature equipped with the one ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Obviously the One Ring should be a MDFC with Sauron.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Are they using the New Line cinema aesthetics? I'm going to be honest, as wonderful as the books are, I have a very hard time imagining Boromir as anyone but Sean Bean anymore.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Could Gandalf beat Urza?” is just the Wizard version of “Goku vs Superman”

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Tom Bombadil card.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Clawtopsy posted:

Tom Bombadil card.

He'll be banned before release.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Jesus, if they had announced Walking Dead now and this Warhammer and LOTR last year, that would have much more greatly acclimated the fans for the upcoming hellscape, and may have partially mitigated the backlash. The massive incompetence on display in that gently caress up somehow continues to grow!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Magnetic North posted:

Jesus, if they had announced Walking Dead now and this Warhammer and LOTR last year, that would have much more greatly acclimated the fans for the upcoming hellscape, and may have partially mitigated the backlash. The massive incompetence on display in that gently caress up somehow continues to grow!

Or... or... or they decided this after the Walking Dead.

Sort of like a KFC double down, but no chicken.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We have these crossovers now precisely because TWD was their best selling stand alone product last year, they said as much.

“We heard the backlash but it was also our most successful secret lair by a very large margin, so you can expect to see more products like this!” were almost their exact words.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
WotC is whaling, they don't care if 90% of the playerbase hates a decision if the other 10% buy the poo poo out of it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

We have these crossovers now precisely because TWD was their best selling stand alone product last year, they said as much.

“We heard the backlash but it was also our most successful secret lair by a very large margin, so you can expect to see more products like this!” were almost their exact words.

that blows my mind. like 5 years ago maybe that would've made sense but TWD is still that popular somehow? insanity

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The logistics of this is interesting to me. I know normal sets are planned 2+ years out. Since Secret Lairs are printed on-demand, they likely don't have as long of a run-up, but I would be curious as to how long that process is. The other question is: the other Secret Lairs we heard about once they happened, but that was because there was no negotiation with other rightsholders because they were one and the same. Are we hearing about this now because the agreement was just made and it ends up being public for some practical reason? There was no 'hype press release' for other ones, but this is the first of this sort.

Bust Rodd posted:

That quote is why I'm selling out of the game. When it happened, I uninstalled Arena because I didn't want to give them money, but was willing to see if this was a lesson they could learn from. When it was clear that they would be doing it again, I decided it was time to get out. I'm probably the only one, though, especially among players who've been with the game since the 90s.

Also, it'll be good to get in the clear before the Terfy Potter Secret Lair. If the ink was already dry on that one, it's gonna be so, so much worse.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It doesn't look like a harry potter set, tbh. It's just a magic college which isn't unique to HP. People online saw that and made the connection and ran with it. Unless you also think Terry Pratchett, the jedi academy, Wizard of Earthsea, Wheel of Time, the Witcher, etc are all also harry potter knock offs then maybe wait a bit before doing a ride-by in the thread on your high horse.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I think the concern is less 'is strixhaven hogwarts?' and more 'does Hasbro have the license for harry Potter merch'?.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Magnetic North posted:

The logistics of this is interesting to me. I know normal sets are planned 2+ years out. Since Secret Lairs are printed on-demand, they likely don't have as long of a run-up, but I would be curious as to how long that process is. The other question is: the other Secret Lairs we heard about once they happened, but that was because there was no negotiation with other rightsholders because they were one and the same. Are we hearing about this now because the agreement was just made and it ends up being public for some practical reason? There was no 'hype press release' for other ones, but this is the first of this sort.

There's hype because these aren't secret lairs. The 40k will be a commander deck precon set, possibly even the 5 deck series for 2022 and the LotR will be a set.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I think the whole concept is dumb, but I wrote WotC off as prioritizing money making opportunities over the integrity/health/spirit/whatever of the game a while ago so it isn't surprising.

We'll get 40k commander decks, some LotR supplemental product, but do not hold your breath thinking there won't be more exclusive cards with an outside IP printed in a secret lair. As they said, it was their best selling SL ever, so that cow will get milked again.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

When I say it'll be worse, I'm referring to the backlash, not necessarily the game piece content. If they are introducing non-binary planeswalker characters at the same time that they are giving money to Joann, fans are gonna loving lose it. Which, ya know, perhaps they should.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d love to live in a world in which fan backlash wasn’t a complete guarantee but that world isn’t Earth. It literally doesn’t matter what they announce, people get upset.

MtG literally already has wizards and treasure hoarding dragons and magic rings and hobbits and wizard school and orcs, none of this IP stuff seems anywhere near as off as TWD stuff.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there any actual indication that MtG has or will have a license for Harry Potter or are people just inventing poo poo to get mad over?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They are 100% making poo poo up to be mad at.

There are, like, 5 Wizard schools on Dominaria, wizards going to school to become the Wizard police is literally Teferi and Jhoira TIME COPS

Wizard School has been part of Magic since day 1.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
There has never been any mention of Harry Potter by WotC. It's just "magical college" and people are baaelessly running with the association.

Look at the classes/majors mentioned in the article. It's not stuff like potions or wand waving. It's biology, math, poetry, history.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 26, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
TBH the fact that Strixhaven has non human students and the animal people seem front and center has already basically completely divorced the set from the Potterverse in my mind. The HP books are so simplistic and bad you actually don’t need to work hard to make a better idea.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know the professor was talking about was talking about WotC about to ink the deal for an HP Secret lair right before the Rowling TERF stuff came up again in the fall but I don't know if got it from an inside source or just conjecture.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know the professor was talking about was talking about WotC about to ink the deal for an HP Secret lair right before the Rowling TERF stuff came up again in the fall but I don't know if got it from an inside source or just conjecture.

It is just conjecture at this point, but I don't think it's the wild speculation as people are saying. MTG mines whatever it can for creativity,. Normally it's been myths and legends, but maybe they're starting to run out of those. Still, it's always something with the serial numbers filed off. That slightly changed with Ikoria, which had the monsters things, which made us wonder if it was a chicken or egg for the Godzilla promo. At least, it made me wonder, maybe I was the only one. Then Walking Dead happened, which was just all egg. So, is Strixhaven the chicken or the egg?

The use of the word Strix (which means owl in latin) kinda makes me think Potter. (I've never read the books/movies, but I know that much.) The way that it's clearly a college for young adults and not for very young children (based on the key art shared so far) makes me think it's doing its own thing. What does Maro's social media campaign talking about other wizard schools mean? Who knows? Just Wizards.

Hopefully no terf secret lair ever comes out, and we are all worried for nothing. But I hardly think it's ridiculous to see this and wonder if something very bad is coming.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I know design pipeline and all that but I really felt like Ikoria was trying to cash in on Monster Hunter but that might just be me.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dias posted:

WotC is whaling, they don't care if 90% of the playerbase hates a decision if the other 10% buy the poo poo out of it.

To be fair, that *is* how you run a successful business.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Gynovore posted:

To be fair, that *is* how you run a successful business.

If that business is an app on a phone maybe. That's not necessarily a good way to generate long-term value from IP or a reputation, but it can certainly earn you a big bonus in this quarter and then you can move on somewhere else where you lather rinse and repeat.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Toshimo posted:

Is there any actual indication that MtG has or will have a license for Harry Potter or are people just inventing poo poo to get mad over?

Wizards bought the TCG rights to Harry Potter twenty years ago. For all we know, the contract had a clause at the bottom saying "Oh yeah, you can use Harry in MTG in you really want to".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

To steer the thread away from doom and gloom for a moment...

I'm thinking of building a Sphinx tribal deck, but I'm kinda stuck on what commander to use. The obvious answer is 'Unesh', but I also really want to use all the Azorius sphinxes out there. Right now I'm leaning towards either Azor or Isperia, Supreme Judge.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

serefin99 posted:

To steer the thread away from doom and gloom for a moment...

I'm thinking of building a Sphinx tribal deck, but I'm kinda stuck on what commander to use. The obvious answer is 'Unesh', but I also really want to use all the Azorius sphinxes out there. Right now I'm leaning towards either Azor or Isperia, Supreme Judge.

I have a fun deck built around Yennett that's "flying tribal." It slams out mid and high CMC fliers for free, and a ton of them are sphinxes. She would let you use all your Azorius options, plus splash in black.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Railing Kill posted:

I have a fun deck built around Yennett that's "flying tribal." It slams out mid and high CMC fliers for free, and a ton of them are sphinxes. She would let you use all your Azorius options, plus splash in black.

Oooh, that sounds like fun. Do you think I could get a list, to help guide me?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

serefin99 posted:

Sure! I don't have an up to date deck list ready, but I'll post one tonight when I get home. I need to update that one anyway.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Toshimo posted:

They can't do a Harry Potter / MtG crossover because the MtG universe has trans characters.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I don't know why they need to do literal 40k and LotR.. I mean 40k okay maybe but Lotr... they could just rip it off basically but retell it like they did the Greek Myths in Theros Beyond death.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't know why they need to do literal 40k and LotR.. I mean 40k okay maybe but Lotr... they could just rip it off basically but retell it like they did the Greek Myths in Theros Beyond death.

Magic already has hobbits, magic rings, dragons that hoard treasure, and good and evil wizards who summon orcs and elves and treefolks and wraiths to fight each other. In fact, those are some of the very first magic cards. We've been riffing off TLotR literally the entire time.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Magic already has hobbits, magic rings, dragons that hoard treasure, and good and evil wizards who summon orcs and elves and treefolks and wraiths to fight each other. In fact, those are some of the very first magic cards. We've been riffing off TLotR literally the entire time.

Magic is 99% borrowed from D&D, and D&D is 99% borrowed from Tolkien, so we're already 98.01% there.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't wait for Secret Lair: Minions, with all the cool Goblin staples in Minion-form.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe a Hasbro executive got drunk and bought the rights to the Hildebrandt bros art now they want reasons to do a wave of LotR secret lairs.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

serefin99 posted:

Sorry about the delay. Here's the Yennett deck:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/9sHHvm7x70KlFnAUzXaCdQ

There's some easy swaps you can make to juice the manabase, and a few of the creatures (Serra Angel, Divinity of Pride, Sunscorch Regent) are kind of placeholders for acquiring better, more synergistic options. But you could use those slots for more sphinxes if that's your jam. Magister Sphinx and Sphinx Ambassador are good options if you have them. (Consecrated Sphinx isn't on the list because even CMCs are generally left out of this deck).

The deck uses a lot of incidental scrying to load the top of the library, but that isn't strictly necessary to use Yennett. She can also usually find a safe opponent to attack, since she has both menace and flying. One you cheat out a few big bombers, the win route of the deck is simple: just attack the piss out of everyone exclusively with powerful fliers, often jacked up on anthem effects. It's fun in a casual table, but there's room to improve the manabase if you want to speed things up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Railing Kill posted:

Sorry about the delay. Here's the Yennett deck:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/9sHHvm7x70KlFnAUzXaCdQ