Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm pretty new to Magic and Commander in general, and I've built a blue black faerie themed deck around Oona, Queen of the Fae. I've only gotten to play a couple of games, but every single time I get Oona out someone blows her away immediately. How can I prevent her from getting crushed? Preferably without some super expensive power combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mulloy posted:

Since everyone got a good chuckle out of my LGS' commander rules last time, update on the store drama:

1) Paradox Engine got banned.
2) Omniscience is making people sad enough that the manager posted about how everyone needs to run interaction and removal in their decks or they need to stop moaning about single cards.
3) In said post mentioned maybe having to ban Omniscience anyway because "Once it resolves the game is over."

(quietly orders an Omniscience)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's wrong with Reliquary Tower? It saved me last week.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I play a U/B Faeries deck with Oona as a commander. There was a situation in which we all ended up having 20+ cards in our hands at once, and I was the only one with a Reliquary Tower in play. I was about to get hit by something whose power was determined by the number of all cards in all graveyards, so I used a relic of progenitus and exiled everybody's graveyards and turned what would have been a 60 damage blow into nothing and I got to keep a massive hand of options.

I'm still really new at this game and I've only been playing for 3 months, and in my specific deck I benefit from having a lot of colorless Mana available since it only costs X + 1 blue or black to activate Oona's ability and exile for tokens. A lot of Faeries are centered around bouncing creatures back into my hand too, so having extra space is nice.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I do Skullclamp a lot of Faeries in my deck.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't really care if I win, I just like pretending to be a magical wizard with my friends and having a lot of cards in my hand. Being able to do a lot of things is fun.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have discovered that Vendilion Clique on an end step plus Tunnel Vision on my turn is an extremely funny combo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"you can't" strategies are so lame. I don't even find them fun to play, let alone play against. It's more fun to win (and even to lose) in adversity than to build a deck around preventing anyone from doing anything

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Have Dire Undercurrents in play, find a way to get Laboratory Maniac to the bottom of your library (Vendilion Clique works well), play Tunnel Vision on yourself and name Laboratory Maniac, draw him on your next turn and play him, playing a blue creature triggers the card draw from Dire Undercurrents, win the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Panharmonicon makes Faeries unbelievably broken. In combination with:

Vendilion Clique can let you look at two hands and dispose of two troublesome cards for 1UU at instant speed

Mistbind Clique can champion two Faeries and can tap two players' lands at instant speed (and once it leaves you get the EtB effects of the championed fae)

Marsh Flitter generates four free goblin rogues (and if Dire Undercurrents is in play with it, you get ten discard triggers)

Oona's Blackguard adds two counters to rogues (including those goblins)

Pestermite can untap two permanents at instant speed

Puppeteer Clique can rob and exile two creatures from opponent's graveyards (and also doubles their EtB effects, which is beautiful if someone has a Fleshbag Marauder) and has Persist

Sower of Temptation can steal two creatures at instant speed

Cloud of Faeries can untap two lands twice, so if you have a bounce land in play, you can use it to profit significant Mana for almost no cost

I was able to play Cloud of Faeries with Quickling and Faerie Impostor with Panharmonicon, Door of Destinies and Dire Undercurrents in play to bounce and replay Cloud, generate infinite Mana, infinitely tick up DoD from repeatedly bouncing and replaying Faeries, and then to hit someone with a rogue and play Notorious Throng to generate an infinite number of infinitely powerful rogue tokens :getin:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So it is. Even still

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am in the process of building my second deck ever, a Bant deck with Derevi as commander. What are you favorite Bant enchantments that aren't Dovescape?

I picked up Carpet of Flowers purely on the basis that I love the theme of it and have been looking at other offbeat sorts of enchantments. This is a casual deck, so whatever is cool

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am liking some of the janky enchantments I'm finding. Aurification is hilarious. I have no idea how it will work in practice yet but I'm looking forward to Midas touching everyone's creatures.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Am I going to get shot if I play Kudzu?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Oona, Panharmonicon, Dire Undercurrents. She makes blue and black tokens, and when they EtB with Dire Undercurrents will trigger both a draw and a discard.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Quicksilver Fountain plus Thada Adel, Acquisitor equipped with Blade of Selves. Steal everyone's Mana rocks all at once.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

Do you mean mirror gallery?

E: Oh I guess the fountain is for islandwalk, but you still need to get around the legend rule.

The copies come in tapped and attacking and aren't exiled until the attack resolves. Since her ability triggers on combat damage, and she's unlockable (ideally), her ability hits all players she damages.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does that happen before or after they do damage, since they're already attacking once created?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Xad posted:

One of my friends made a Grenzo deck, which made me think of making a deck based around the opposite effect: manipulating/knowing what card is on top of your deck, and doing weird shenanigans that way.

I already have a couple cards in mind, like Experimental Frenzy, Melek, Goblin Spy, and Future Sight for looking at the top card (and anything with Scry or Surveil would be useful here too), and as for abusing the fact that I know what I'm about to draw, Conundrum Sphinx would be hilarious and maybe Intet the Dreamer would be the commander. That lets me use stuff like Aid the Cowl or that keyword where you exile the top card and put it face-down on the battlefield as a 2/2 in addition to the other cards I mentioned.

Obviously I need big RUG stuff to cheat out or I don't really have a wincon, as well

Any suggestions or mechanics I might've glossed over?

Also, how hard do you think it would be to convince my friends to let me use Split Screen? :v:

Find our what's on the bottom of his deck and use Tunnel Vision :getin:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just built a Derevi deck but you guys are making me want to rebuild it into a Bant wall deck. I have a bunch of flower themed cards in it already, so maybe I could make a walled garden except the walls fall on top of people

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like Reliquary Tower :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a foil Vela the Night-Clad last night and it's probably the prettiest foil I own.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Her eyes and the tops of her headdress ear things are foil so they look transparent. Pretty rad.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I really want to make a Mayael deck but I feel like the rest of the cards for it to make it good would be super expensive

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's the worst color combination?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I quite like Bant, having the green Mana ramp available makes white shine

Everyone in my meta plays black, so cards like Stern Judge, Lifeforce, Royal Decree and Major Teroh become real funny

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How the gently caress you gonna run an Oona deck and not have Dire Undercurrents?

Pair it with Panharmonicon for extra hate - every successful Oona activation nets you two draw triggers (that can target anyone) and two discard triggers, so you can make people draw cards and lose them to speed up the milling.

I run a Faerie tribal deck with Oona formerly as a commander until I realized I was using EtB effects more than I was milling (Vela is the commander now, but Oona's still in the deck.) I'm a fan of using Wizened Snitches to manipulate peoples' top decks with Oona. If you see a card you don't want them to have, you can exile it, and if it's a colored card you get a guaranteed token.

Heath fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 26, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

logis posted:

Wheels are bad ways to mill everyone. If I was at a more competitive table...yeah it would be worse. Wheels do kind of work after a global unsummon effect.

I had Dire Undercurrents, but an Oona activation usually only makes 2 or 3 creatures (most people are playing 3 color decks). Yeah may try it again.

I found it much more effective to use Wizened Snitches and do one activation at a time for a guaranteed hit rather than simply pouring all my Mana into her. I once managed to do a completely ridiculous play by using Vendilion Clique and Tunnel Vision to mill an opponent's entire deck, exiled his graveyard with Relic of Progenitus, then played Oblivion Sower to steal all of his lands, activated Oona twice for ten mana on another opponent, and got... One hit. Between 20 exiled cards.

With Dire Undercurrents and Snitches in play you can exile their top card for a guaranteed hit, and if the next card is a land or otherwise colorless, you can make them draw it with the DU trigger to make them reveal the next one, and if it's a colored card you can repeat the process and also reap the discard triggers. Two Mana for a token, a discard and a draw vs. pouring 10 mana and possibly getting nothing because you either picked the wrong color or hit a ton of lands is a pretty easy choice.

Oona is really good at milling but she's not good at mass milling unless you use an infinite combo and I find that kind of boring both to play and to play against. Tactical use of her ability can make her extremely dangerous and build a wall of blockers at instant speed.

Other recommendations are using Ashnod's Altar to sacrifice the tokens as they come out so you're only using one colored Mana to knock out troublesome topdecks. Vela the Night-Clad makes an excellent pair with AA and Oona, because your sacrifices burn everyone in addition to providing some Mana for your milling. Both Ashnod's and Oona can be activated at instant speed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What happens if you play a kicked Rite of Replication on Vela, the Night-Clad?

I'm asking because the legendary rule confuses me as to exactly what happens and what doesn't. If you're not familiar:

quote:

Rite of Replication
Effect of card: Kicker {5} (You may pay an additional {5} as you cast this spell.)
Create a token that's a copy of target creature. If this spell was kicked, create five of those tokens instead.
Converted mana cost: 4

quote:

Vela, the Night-Clad
Intimidate (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)
Other creatures you control have intimidate.
Whenever Vela the Night-Clad or another creature you control leaves the battlefield, each opponent loses 1 life.

So, my understanding of events is this:

1. Rite of Replication is kicked and cast on Vela. Five clones of Vela enter the battlefield.
2. The spell checks to see if the creature is legendary. She is, so the clones are exiled.
3. Each Vela sees each other leave, except for the real one. Vela assigns damage to each opponent when she herself leaves or when she sees another creature leave.
4. Therefore, each Vela would assign 1 damage for leaving the battlefield once exiled, so of the 6, you get a total of 5 damage to each player.
5. Each Vela also sees each other one leave, minus the real one. So I think the math would be something like:

Vela Prime: sees the 5 copies leave. Assigns 5 damage but does not leave the battlefield.
Vela Clone: Sees four other Velas leave. Assigns 4 damage, and leaves the battlefield, adding another 1 for a total of 5 damage. Repeat 5 times for a total of 25 damage between them.

Is that right? Can you nuke a whole table for 30 damage with one spell in the jankiest way possible?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Another weird interaction question:

quote:

Aven Mimeomancer

Flying

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a feather counter on target creature. If you do, that creature has base power and toughness 3/1 and has flying for as long as it has a feather counter on it.

quote:

Kicker 2 X(You may pay an additional 2 X as you cast this spell.)

Flying

When Kangee, Aerie Keeper enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, put X feather counters on it.

Other Bird creatures get +1/+1 for each feather counter on Kangee, Aerie Keeper.

If I use Aven Mimeomancer to place another Feather Counter on Kangee, does that contribute to his universal bird buff? That is, if I cast Kangee with 3 Feathers on him and then use Aven Mimeomancer to add a feather counter, does Kangee then become a 3/1 and also give +4/+4 to my birds? Or does he just become a 3/1?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My idea was to put the Mimeomancer in and just keep stacking feather counters on Kangee to make my birds huge

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There are only three cards that use feather tokens and those are two of them. The other is Soulcatchers' Aerie. :birddrugs:

I use all three in my birds deck along with Dovescape, which will probably backfire on me when everyone figures out that those cards embiggen all birds. :yayclod:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Puppeteer Clique is broken as poo poo in a deck with a lot of bounce and sacrifice outlets. That is all

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Derevi is so fuckin' good. I get her blown up and sent back to the command zone so many times and it never costs more.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm thinking of adding Blade of Selves to my Vela the Night-Clad deck because that poo poo's funny. Could be extra funny with Puppeteer Clique to dig up everyone's graveyards or Cloud of Faeries to untap all my lands.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The more I look at Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign, the more I want to build a deck in which every single card is odd CMC. There are some fun things you could cast with her (Skull Storm, Chancellor of the Spires, Void Winnower :getin:) I would need some way to manipulate my top deck, preferably in the form of draw-then-put-on-library effects. Aminatou would be perfect.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't play for competitive, I play to do the jankiest poo poo I possibly can. So this seems like a perfect commander.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah...that's why Yennett was printed in the Aminatou commander deck. :confused:
Anyway, the best card, hands down that you can cast with Yennett is Expropriate. That card ends so many games. It is also why it slowly jumped from $5 to $50 in the last couple years.

I don't look at precon decks, I've only been playing the game casual for about a year.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've discovered Persist can be a very powerful method of duplicating ETB effects with a sac outlet.

And then I discovered Cauldron of Souls. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Rather than a Servo token, it is now a Copy token.