Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
The notion that commander is a casual format that costs thousands of dollars to get into is absurd. The dipshits who are in charge of the format already own the expensive cards, that's one of the reasons the banlist is so bad.

Magic isn't a very good game, and it's very much a business. I've gone through two serious collections in my life, both times selling them off for thousands of dollars. At one point I was a serious competitive player, I was sponsored by a LGS, was on the automatic invite list and got to skip rounds at PTQs.

I have no intention of ever owning "real" magic cards again (maybe some basic lands) my friends got into EDH for whatever reasons so I made some decks, I bought some cards off Wish and the rest I ordered from the website where they have non magic backs and remove the copyright info.

I tell people I'm using proxies, if they don't want to play with me, fine. I'd never try to trade or sell any of these. There's something viscerally unpleasant for me in playing with "bad" proxies, i.e. black and whites or what not. Also when you're tutoring (that happens sometimes in EDH I hear) it's a lot less hassle if you can just visually look for the picture you recognize of a dual land or an enchantment, so imo there's good reasons to have look-alike proxies.

That being said, my overwhelming experience of magic players is the "no proxies" guys want to win by spending money. Typically these are the same people that will grumble about the format being "friendly" if you win, and say you're a try-hard, and if you lose they'll subtly mock you for being a noob.

The truth is the format could be like 100x friendlier if they banned something in the other of 10-20 more cards, and they absolutely refuse to do it. Ergo it is not a friendly format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

midge posted:

It's a personal mindset. I wouldn't even consider building a deck that was a majority of proxies with no strategy to complete that build if it deck works out. Upgrading and completing decks is gratifying for me and I'd rather sit down and play at a lower power level with legit cards. I guess my weenie stance is "if you're never going to own that card, why kid yourself?". The loaner deck thing I get and that is a cool thing to do.

Maybe people just like playing the game and don’t care about collecting dolls you enormous loving tool.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

midge posted:

It's a personal mindset... I guess my weenie stance is "if you're never going to own that card, why kid yourself?".

You're the one who made it personal. I don't try to tell you how to have fun with your cardboard, but you clearly judge how other people do.

I'm not kidding myself at all. I have 0 desire to own "real" fake magical cards. I just like playing with my friends. I go to the LGS and I'm very clear that my decks are 100% proxies.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

midge posted:

There is a marked difference between you taking untargeted comments on a forum *personal* and me making things personal. I'm also not judging people based on their choices, you can do whatever the gently caress you want, just as I can make a choice not to play under those conditions.

If you honestly have zero desire to own cards, why are you playing?

You literally said you judge people in your post. I get it, you don't want to "judge people" but you do a thing that is judging people. Suck it up.

To actually play the game? Are you stupid or what? I've been repeatedly very clear.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

midge posted:

Where?

A game that you've previously stated is a "very bad game".

I honestly don't have an issue with people playing with proxies in friend groups, and under mutually agreed conditions, I'd just rather not sit at those tables; it's a personal stance. Whereas you, someone who doesn't appear to like the game nor wish to spend any money on it...is here...in a thread, about that game.

You seem like you're just a complete loving idiot or a troll, so I'm done.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Why Morphon and not Golos? Fetching any land is a bomb ability.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Morophon turning all your Spawn/Scions into beaters is relevant, casting Eldrazi for free is relevant

I must be missing something, he reduces the colored mana cost of a few Eldrazi by one. And he gives +1/+1. Is there some trick?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Reik posted:

Jodah or Fist of Suns.

Ah yeah that's neato, they should put that in the deck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Toshimo posted:

lol disregard my deck I misread Morophon at 3am and thought he was Fist of the Suns for a creature type.

Just add fist of suns?

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/what-rough-beast/?cb=1577123023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Reik posted:

Jodah is Fist of Suns for any spell if that's what you want from a 5c commander.

Not really...

Morophon allows you to pay BUWGR less of something's cost, and Fist of Sun's allows you pay BUWGR instead of a spell cost so if you have both you pay nothing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bonus posted:

Tec edge and field of ruin and the like are a speedbump, but in a golos deck that's centered around field of the dead, it makes sense to run a lot of land recursion (crucigle, ramunap guy, e witness, petrified field, loam, etc.). Also you run a ton of blink effects and in response you can blink golos, get a bounceland and save your field. My friends run pretty competitive decks so it's not a big deal, it's just interesting how it's just unbeatable if you're playing fair. The worst thing about the deck is having to shuffle and tutor nonstop

Golos can be brutal land destruction too. My gate deck https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-tenth-gate/ runs graveyard recursion and stripmine/wasteland, which means you can destroy several lands a turn once you get Azusa or any additional land drops into play. If someone shuts down my search or exiles my Maze's end I usually turn to land destruction while I search for my recovery pieces.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I sort of want to pick up some proxies and build a flash hulk deck but I'm too lazy fo find a list, ant suggestions?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/reverse-hulk-flash-scepter

This is dramatic scepter with flash hulk I like it a lot

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Ban Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Chrome Mox, Mox Diamond

Suddenly the format is a lot slower, you don't see decks comboing off on turn two or three.

People would switch to more mana dorks for ramp, but if there were even more mana dorks then cards like earthquake and horseman earthquake will be more prevalent and that'll mostly balance itself.

Ban Jace and Lab Maniac and decks have to actually do something to win the game. Currently, you have mechanics in decks that allow them to draw cards, and once those mana sources go infinite they just win the game by drawing out their own deck or decking opponents.

Flash should really go.

I think if you made those changes the number of decks that are competitive would skyrocket and there'd be much less of a gap between cEDH decks and "kitchen table" decks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

AkumaHokoru posted:

tasigur is literally one of my commanders the hybrid change would gently caress all the commanders whom are multi-color through effects.

I'm pretty sure it's optional, so basically you could treat hybrid mana as one or both colors. So it doesn't gently caress over anything, it basically just allows hybrid mana cards into decks that only match one of the colors.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Good points. I've never played with folks who complained about 40 life, so this Twitter poll opened doors to terrible debates being had by, apparently, someone somewhere. The whole thing has been weird, scary, and illuminating.

Honestly, aside from life-as-resource things like Ad Nauseum, I can't see 30 life even affecting cEDH tables. It's not like at 40 the ten more life will keep someone from killing the whole table with a combo or lab man-ing out or whatever. It only makes a difference if something like Necropotence or Ad Nauseum is being abused way too often, but in any case a judicious banning to prevent format homogeneity makes more sense than rewriting everyone's life rules. (I'm not calling for a ban of Ad Nauseum because I don't think it ever got close to the point it would deserve a ban. But that's the idea, at least.)

There’s a lot of pain lands and life for card draw effects. So 30 life would put people in a lot more precarious position to simply die to aggressive decks or even just getting rushed by mana dorks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

I don't think so. Normally Commanders don't "die" in the first place unless you leave them in the graveyard, but this would give you an out to let it die normally and then use a triggered effect to exile it instead (which is similar to the rules-default replacement effect that sends a Commander to the Command Zone when it would chance zones, but still slightly different).

But the "if you do" part means it actually has to end up in exile when the triggered ability resolves and not replaced with going to the command zone. The way this is worded, though, it does allow Commanders to die and still end up in the command zone due to the trigger.

Uh no. You let it die normally and sit in the graveyard. You choose to exile it. The demon copies it. It tries to exile and then you use the inherent commander ability to go to command zone instead of exile.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

AkumaHokoru posted:

that inherent commander ability is a replacement effect and the trigger of exile would be invalid. if they changed the commander rule like the poll on rosewater's twitter then your example is accurate if I am not mistaken myself.

It’s a replacement effect so you do exile it but because it’s a commander when it tries to go to the out of play zone it instead goes to the command zone

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Balon posted:

cEDH-approved Nath list is here:
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/combo-where-were-going-we-dont-need-combo/

I didn't built the list but some ideas for tuning and making people displeased with you can be found within.

I feel like the term cEDH gets thrown around so much here that it has no real meaning.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

This is not my experience whatsoever, if this is what your playgroup thinks you should correct them.

EDH is almost by definition a combo format. Combo is the easiest way to kill a table. There are so many flavors of infinite combo and some of them are so impossibly janky that they could never be considered competitive.

There are decks that just don’t really do anything. At best they put some big creatures into play and maybe attack with them.

I made a joke reanimator Kenrith deck and people at the table were rating it like 7-9 out of ten. I don’t even play my “real” decks at the lgs

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Balon posted:

Look up cEDH lists. Watch cEDH gameplay. Listen to cEDH analysis. That’s what I do, trying to piece together what cEDH means to cEDH players versus what cEDH is perceived to be to a guy who has never played a game of EDH outside his playgroup.

The problem with even this approach is that there are no tournaments. cEdh websites and videos need new content. If you post a 30 minute video every week that is just “first sliver foodchain is the meta defining combo deck followed by thrasios tymna control combo” people will quit watching it.
If you tape yourself playing in your pod with the same 4 decks over and over even though they are the best decks, people won’t view.
If you keep writing articles that are “dramatic scepter - still broken” people won’t read.
So good players and clever deck builders come up with new decks to drive content.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Balon posted:

But this is still the crux of it. “How do you be cEDH without playing just the top tier decks”.

These channels help say “Yes this deck is competitive without being the best deck”.

And it’s at that confluence where you define what cEDH IS. “Is Y deck cEDH?” “Yes if it does A, B, C”

So we define what a deck has to do to be cEDH, even if it’s not a tier 0 cEDH deck.

And that is:
Fast Mana
Tutors
Interaction
Efficient card choices
Game winning solutions (combo or otherwise)

Or as someone sitting across from you may put it “your deck wins faster and better than mine does”.

These are fine but I can’t imagine making a “not cEdh” deck by these definitions. And I feel like ... we’ basically need a rating of 0-10 on each of those because food chain is like a 47 or something and my loving gate deck has them all but is like a 25

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Balon posted:

Again though, that’s YOUR take on YOUR deck - personal bias.

But when you sit down against someone and drop a turn 1 mana crypt to rhystic study, your opponents are going to consider your deck cEDH regardless on what YOU think it is on the power scale.

That’s more or less the point for most players cEdh means either a) better than their deck or b) simply that it runs any not poo poo cards

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m specifically talking about playing with my more casual gamers at the LGS who are just trying to do big expensive things with Dragons and Zombies. My Daretti deck is probably my favorite deck in terms of fun, like I actually feel like saying “wheeeeee!” sometimes when I’m piloting it, but it can very easily Lattice-Lock the table practically by accident. Sometimes the concession I make to myself for playing my high-power decks against a low power table is to simply not cast the card that will certainly win me the game so my friends can do their thing. I’ll dump my resources into making myself scary, painting a big target on my head, so that way they can either capitalize on my “misplay” or I’ll feel justified in forcing the win

It’s a genuinely lame way to play and it feels disrespectful, so rather than force myself into those situations, or depower my decks, I have to build decks at that power level for those tabels

This is some Harrison Bergeron poo poo.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I wouldn't mind any thoughts on this deck, it's me trying to make something less competitive in case I drag myself back to the lgs.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rankless-and-without-peer/#c3582830

I don't generally play black, or not really just splash for tutors so there could be obvious cards I'm missing that would synergize well.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

What experience is she lacking, exactly?

No one on the RC is a cEDH player. Charlotte and Shivam are the olive branch holders to the cEDH community, and I think Gobert Hicks plays cEDH.

As a level 2 judge myself I would tell you “I’m a level 3 judge and judge a lot” is a pretty loving terrible appeal to authority. In my experience playing competitively, judging, and working for WotC most of the people who judged a lot were loving idiots who sucked at Magic and precisely couldn’t handle things like keeping up with the meta. That’s why they became judges. She might be an exception but the fact she uses that as the basis is to me a huge red flag for an article ridiculed with bullshit and bad logic.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I do prefer high quality proxies in general and since you can print them easily for less than 0.25 a piece it seems worthwhile. Figuring out what the gently caress is going on when people have bad proxies can be frustrating.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

It's interesting to me because people keep assuming Sheldon's words are in good faith.

He sucks at magic. He doesn't want cEDH to work, EDH was invented by garbage players who wanted a fun format where people didn't try because fundamentally they are losers who cannot compete; when they try, they fail. If cEDH is a strong format and played competitively then he has to acknowledge he simply doesn't have what it takes.

Banning flash, food chain, and the rocks would have a tremendous impact to make cEDH an interesting format to play and have tournaments in and stream online etc.. These bannings would have little to no impact on casual, and what impact there would be, would be positive (how fun is a game of casual when one guy drops a mana crypt on turn one and is essentially two turns ahead, even in battlecruiser it's stupid and unfun to deal with)

He does not want that. He does not want cEDH to be fun or interesting or popular, it detracts from what is fundamentally a format for losers.

I mean Jesus Christ, the RC is all judges, aka people who are obsessed with magic yet suck at it.

I mean the very fact that primeval titan is banned and flash isn't really tells you a lot.

A loving 6 cost creature that ... puts lands into play. Vs a card that enables a combo that ends the game when you have 0 board state. A 2 cost card. A loving instant.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Arguing that “Sheldon sucks at Magic and HATES cEDH” feels like a much worse bad faith argument than what you just posted, and also isn’t what he’s said in any of the multiple online discussions about it.

Where does this idea that everyone on the RC and the CAG is like a lying and conniving rear end in a top hat who hates cEDH? That’s not the way those people treat us at all in any venue I’ve ever seen. You get them on podcasts, Twitter and Magic YouTube and they are all saying reasonable things, and they all recognize the difference between pubstomping and cEDH, and they’ve all just kind of settled on the idea that cEDH players can and will figure it out, with “run your own tournaments with special banlists” being the best option for basically everyone.

Like sure you can say Sheldon isn’t a cEDH player, but saying that someone whose been a magic judge for 10 years and helped create the single largest format is “bad at magic” feels disingenuous to me. I’m sure he’s good at magic, he just doesn’t play to combo out tables.

I don't know if you're like 12 years old or what, I can't figure it out.

People say one thing and do another. You look at what they do, and you can generally reason into what they actually want based on what they do and what you know of them.

His choices in regards to edh and the things he says don't even remotely agree. He says the things he says in order to accomplish what he wants. He wants to stay in charge of the format and keep it a loser format like he helped create. If he admits that he'll lose control of the format.

Do you now understand why he says what he says yet does what he does? Are politicians starting to make sense to you now?

Or do I have to break it down even more succinctly for you?

Do you think Donald Trump is good at business because he's worth several hundred million dollars or do you understand that even idiots can get lucky?

Sheldon got lucky with a format. A format that was literally designed so that being good at magic wasn't very relevant to winning, a format of excuses.

It just so happens that despite the initial purpose of the format it has the potential to be a very interesting competitive format if only he would get out of the way. It's kind of sad he's such a selfish prick that he insists on sticking around when he's clearly unsuited to the role, but the closest his life will ever come to mattering is this EDH thing so I can understand from a human point of view why he clings to it and defends it tenaciously.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

I would argue that keeping commander damage is valid if not only because getting infinite life is not particularly hard to do and commander damage serves as a non-recoverable life total so games can actually end via damage somehow.

Otherwise there'd be literally no reason not to throw in an infinite life combo.

Infinite life is essentially irrelevant in the current meta, so the reason not to throw it in is it wastes time better spent ending the game.

If you're not playing to win you might as well get infinite life.

Commander damage would be a lot better mechanic if it wasn't limited to combat damage. Yuriko decks would instantly be really scary and change the meta for the better.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

He must be a troll nobody is this obstinate and stupid.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I don't think there's any way to make magic fest commander events with prize support friendly to the average casual player short of leaving the format a burnt out shell of its former self by banning like 500 cards or adopting weird points systems that some game stores use.

You could get what 99% of the effect with like 10 bans.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Not really it would still be essentially Legacy vs like Standard powerlevel

Right now the true cEDH combo decks are so tight and fast there's barely even a chance for a non 0 Cost counterspell deck to interact. If some of that was cleaned up there'd at least be an incentive for non-cEDH players to run some decent cards. As it is players are basically incentivized to just throw their hands up in there and whine about people being jerks, you know exactly like Sheldon does.

If you got rid of some of the core cards that accelerate those decks there'd be a chance for interaction.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bonus posted:

Thanks for the comments. i might remove some of the discard stuff and go for a more stax/control approach with the worldgorger combo and maybe some other big finisher type stuff? Maybe deathcloud? i'm really liking RB lately though, what are some other cool commanders in those colors?

My brother plays a surprisingly effective Anje madness deck

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Clowner posted:

What the duck is vtes. No I will not Google it.

It was/is another Richard Garfield card game, specifically designed to be 5 player multiplayer, where you essentially attacked the person to your left and were attacked by the person to your right, which has some interesting perturbations, and you essentially used your life to buy resources to play the game, so you were constantly doing trade-offs.

For a long time, it was a very good game. It went on so long with so many printings they kind of ruined some of the intrinsic dynamics that made it a good game.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

VteS had probably the best multiplayer structure of any CCG. I'm gonna catch flak for this, but in many ways it was better than Legend of the Five Rings, which was the granddaddy of multiplayer at my LGS for quite some time. The only other CCG that always had good multi was Illuminati, and that's because it tended to attract the beer-and-pretzels crowd and repel the tryhards.

It was definitely better than lot5r the whole declare attack and then have the player to your left go as ally so they would untap immediately was stupid. And games where you “win” are worse multiplayer in general rather than ones where you kill people off.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Yeah that was a thing, but what annoyed me most was the kingmaking. A guy who couldn't win would go "eh gently caress it" and throw all his forces at the guy to his left in a futile battle, thus giving him 30+ honor, game over with no interaction possible. L5R was a very good game overall, though.

EDIT: although I do disagree with the killing off bit. It's really no fun to be knocked out of a game after half an hour and have the game run for another 2.5.

Sorry for derailing. I would start a thread but I think we're the only goons interested in 20+ year old nerd cardboard.

Good and fun are not necessarily the same thing. To me, a good game is one where your choices have a meaningful impact on the outcomes that determine the game. Cards Against Humanity can be "fun" but it's not a "good" game.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

We must have pretty different tastes (or very different playgroups). Even with its flaws, back in '98 I would much rather sit down to 6-man L5R than 6-man Magic.

One on one L5R was pretty good too, although from what I heard, at the tournament level, ultra-fast Lion aggro was the only way to go.

It depended on the block but generally, lion was like #1 or 2 military deck and then #2 or 3 honor runner deck, and at the same time could have wacky stuff like the Kolat thing. So you never quite knew what a lion deck was going to be.

I was a "scorpion main" which meant being far better at the game than almost anyone else at a given lgs or tourney but struggling to go 3-1 because of how bad the clan almost always was. I heard other scorpion players argue we should just cheat, they were intentionally handicapping us to force us to rp wins by cheating. And I certainly saw some of that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

YES! I've never seen anyone else bring up Shadowfist. That game was badass.

As far as VTES I liked all the different ways to interact with other players and cheeky ways to sneak points out of people in the tournament format. It was totally valid to deflect an attack to your own prey and reap the rewards from it and that was fun.

Sorry for the double but... just imagine they put something like the predator prey dynamic in to EDH. Suddenly if you win your game via labman, you get 1 vp, and your prey gets 1 vp, etc.. so suddenly "winning" like that isn't good anymore. Would solve some of the problems. Though it'd be important to go to a 5 player pod instead of 4 player to fix the aggro dynamics.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Clowner posted:

Why da fuk do they not do magic fests in New York. What is this

Convention space is cheaper in Sheboygan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

I want that Oona.

Why... why did they choose that Sisay and not the good one.