Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Tonight I won a 7-player game of Commander by playing Grey Merchant for 8, sacrificing him to High Market, and Whipping him back out. With a Grave Pact and Erebos (commander) on the board. It is the single most fun I've had playing magic in the past 6 months, and that includes winning the BFZ Gameday. Standard has become so boring that this variety feels great. Some of the stupid stuff you can do, or your opponents can do, is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Azami + Forbid = BFFs

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

hoobajoo posted:

These are all good cards that any green deck can run, and be happy with. Well, except Channel, that's banned as poo poo.

I forgot Skyshroud could get nonbasics, that does move it into the A camp.

Skyshroud gets nonbasic forests (duals) and puts them in untapped, making it 2-land ramp for net 2 mana. Id recommend it for multicolor and monocolor decks running forests.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Played a few excellent games of 4-player commander at the LGS tonight. I won both playing my Mono-Black Erebos deck, which is satisfying for me but not for anyone else. It's a very control-y deck built around unfun things like board locks, ensuring opponents have no cards in hands, bleed & leech effects, and the standard black infinite combos.

It's absolute trash in 1v1 play but goddam it wrecks multiplayer games. I have to build a second deck just to ensure people will still play with me each week.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I could use some help with my stax list, having never tried to build a deck like this before:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-01-16-fun-police/

I'd like to know what you might change, and, while I'm building this as a multiplayer (so 3v1, basically) deck, I'd also like to have a list of 15 things to swap in and out for 1v1 play.

Ghostly Prison & Norn's Annex would be my biggest recommendations. Build that pillow fort.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Mesmeric Orb is the key to a good mill deck. Shame the effect isnt on a body yet.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Last night at commander night I took my new Azusa deck for a spin in both 1-on-1 and a 6-player game.

First heads-up game was against another mono-green deck, Omnath (OG). The guy took a look at his hand and smugly said "oh ya, this will be over fast!" So he was a little disappointed when I dropped a Kozilek w/ haste on turn 3 when he had gone Omath in to Seedborn Muse.

Second heads-up game was against the super-competitive Rafiq player. He and I have a friendly rivalry when it comes to being the EDH Spikes at the store. This was a feelbads win because I got the Azusa/Crucible/Strip Mine lock on turn 3 which he wasn't a fan of.

The 6-player mess was great though, and was one of those goofy examples of why commander can be a blast sometimes. I Beacon of Creationed for 7, next turn I activated Mosswort Bridge for Craterhoof and played Greater Good. I took out 3 players and drew all but 10 cards in my library digging for a Reliquary Tower. The rest of the players spent the game trying to stall while I drew out my library, but then realized it was futile when I could Greater Good a 1/1, pitch an Eldrazi, and refill my library at will.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've been playing around with customizing the UG Ezuri precon online before picking it up as my "fun" commander deck and wowie can it ever get crazy.

Doing things like dumping counters on a Fathom Mage or on a Hangarback Walker then popping it is insane.

Today i put a Blade of Selves on an Avenger of Zendikar in 4-player! Yesterday I went infinite with a Sage of Hours! Fun! (for me, not for anyone else)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just had an opponent get super salty when I turn 4 Terastadon'd all 3 of his lands with my Azusa deck. Apparently duel commander is no place for land destruction!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My group and I have a tradition where we all buy one of the commander decks each and play them as-is for a year, then do what we want with the pieces after that year. This is mainly for one buddy who is only casually in to magic, but doesn't know the first thing about deck building.

I think this will be good for him as we've only done this with the one-and-two color commanders so far.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Brago is such a fun commander deck (for me and no one else). Just won a 4-man by going infinite with Deadeye Navigator/Cloud of Faries/Altar of the Brood. Fortunately no one had an OG eldrazi to save them.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The biorhythm-on-stick isnt banned either. Goes to show how much weaker an effect is on a body.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Continuing my trend of being terrible to the other players in my playground I've put together my 4th Commander deck. I now have all the colors covered with my super cheap Zada, Hedron Grinder deck.

This thing is the aggro deck that can go off over and over again it's pretty crazy. And turn 4-5 wins happen a lot too! I'm really happy with it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

say no to scurvy posted:

I am trying to put together a Hedron Grinder deck but I don't have nearly enough (red) spells that I would want to cast on him. I had plenty of goblins, but decided to pick up a speed vs cunning for the Krenko, but now I feel like I am a lot better off just replacing Zada with Krenko.

Do you like drawing a card for each creature you control for one red mana? Zada is your goblin.

Krenko is your commander if you just want to win with sheer numbers. Zada is the commander you want to play if you want to win with 5 dudes and 40-0 a guy in a single turn.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

say no to scurvy posted:

I want Zada to work, but how many spells do I need to make him viable?

Currently I have:

Expedite and Accelerate, fourteen pump spells, Chandra's Ignition, but then uh, Spark Jolt? Traitorous Instinct? At that point I am surely better off with Rites of Initiation or Trumpet Blast, I figure.

Edit:It looks like if I do Chignite, most of the gobbos will be too roasted explode themselves.

Chignition is a great finisher. All the copies go on to the stack and nuke your opponents and their creatures. You obv dont do it if it hurts your board more.

I'm running 25 or so spells that target, 6 or so are cantrips. You can do some big mana stuff too and just combo out hard to win.

It's a token deck that overruns for R or 1R or even for free with a fre options. I've come out of nowhere to draw 7 or 8 cards, make 15 mana, and turn my whole board in to giant monsters. It's difficult to fail with this pile.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

You'll only get maybe 5 damage off that.

Maybe if you do it without pumping your guys first. The whole point is to pump your guys though so...

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

You do understand that the copies targeting creatures that die fizzle, right?

They don't all go on the stack at the same time? That was my understanding, that the amount of damage is checked on cast rather than resolution.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Gynovore posted:

When it comes out, how about Mirrorwing Dragon as a backup Zada?

I think it has a spot in the 99, for sure.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Pulled off Fiery Gambit + Zada tonight with 16
Creatures on board! The group made me flip all the coins and I ended up doing 24 damage to each opponent and drawing 18 cards.

To get me the rest of the way I copied all of my creatures, drew cards equal to the number of creatures I controlled x3, then dropped purphoros and made some tokens.

Who knew the all-in aggro deck could win a multiplayer game with an ensnaring bridge on board? I've never had this group of players saltier with me than tonight.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

Cradle is probably fine, but Grim Monolith should probs go.

Lands that produce more than 2 mana without a cost are degenerate.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Man_alive posted:

Just wanted to say thank you to whoever it was that had the Zada Heston Grinder deck a while back. I built it within a week and played it for the first time on Friday night and it was a blast. The guys I played with thought it was hilarious.

Awesome! My playgroup "loves" my Zada deck because it can "oops, everyone's dead" out of nowhere while just building up a group of tokens. Mirrorwing Dragon was a big get for the deck because Zada eats a lot of hate.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Canadian Tapeworm posted:

Are there any good zombie Gisa and Geralf decks out there?

Can you post a list?

Here's my current list, but it's still got some evolving to do:
http://deckstats.net/decks/3554/540993-zada-edh

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I pulled off a turn 3 void winnower tonight in Azusa - haven't seen 3 others scoop faster.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Playing a 6-player game where in 10 turns no one has attackedand I was starting to get pissed. I had an Alhammaret's Archive out, resolved a Necropotence, and sat back to see if anyone would DO SOMETHING.

Nope, made it all the way back to me. So I drew 60 cards and dropped the Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood combo to wnd the game.

And then people got mad at me. For ending a 45+ minute game where people weren't doing anything. Sometimes a casual format is a little too casual for me.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

The Shortest Path posted:

Alhammaret's Archive does not interact with Necropotence, fyi. Your group dun hosed up.

Not that you were unlikely to win in that situation though.

Oh I'm aware. I paid 60 life to put 60 cards in my hand. Archive plus drain effects (in this case it was extort) is pretty effective.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My sweet mono black Erebos deck, which usually gains a load of life accidentally, is going to love that thing.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mef989 posted:

Just decided on a whim to buy a Krenko deck in one go. Kind of had a "gently caress yeah goblins! :black101:" moment. Here's hoping he is actually good.

May your opponents be dumb enough to play Intruder Alarm.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My Azusa mono-green Eldrazi ramp has become so infamous that no one at the LGS will play against it anymore. So I've decided to make it a GB Gitrog Monster deck.

However in putting it together I cant really find any wincons aside from the Eldrazi Titans.

Any advice?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Can't beat Zada for a mono-red commander.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Best mono-green commander and list of essentials? Considering Azusa, heard she was best. EDHREC has Omnath, new Selvala, titania, and freyalise above her but I don't see how those last 2 can be better as commanders.

Azusa is my mono-green commander, but the deck is really a colorless eldrazi tribal deck in disguise.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Someone tell me what the best thungs I should be doing with Azusa are so I don't have to filter through bad suggestions elsewhere! Or convince me why Selvala is better than Azusa!

Azusa is only a commander on turns 2-3 and then again on turns 6-8. She's good to drop on turn 2 or 3 and dump all your lands (the more sol lands the better) then she's useless until you get a card draw engine together via greater good or farsight mask etc.

I use Azusa as a ramp engine for THE biggest timmiest stuff, namely Eldrazi because they have the fastest fast mana. She's typically an all-in fatty aggro deck that can get turn 3-4 kills with nut draws.

Do you like getting the biggest dumbest thing on the board as soon as possible and preventing others from enjoying themselves? Try Azusa!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

This is probably what I will do, just need to make sure I get the right amount of lands and balance of fatties and ramp. Also wanting list suggestions so I don't miss good synergies like horn if greed. What's the best card advantage in green?

This is probably what I will do, just need to make sure I get the right amount of lands and balance of fatties and ramp. Also wanting list suggestions so I don't miss good synergies like horn if greed. What's the best card advantage in green?

Greater Good, Harmonize, Horn of Greed, Sylvan Librsry, and in this deck psudeo card draw works well like Oracle of Mul Daya, Course of Kruphix, etc.

List incoming in a moment.

As promise:
https://deckstats.net/decks/3554/380025-mono-green-edh

The only things I'm currently looking to change is adding a Vesuva and a Lotus Cobra.

Balon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 13, 2017

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Monkey Cage can be great as well, depending on your opponents.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've been testing a new mono-green Rishkar +1/+1 deck that ramps fast, has great synergies, and wins by turning lots of guys sideways.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bowmore posted:

I'd like to see the list for this if you can post it

please!

http://deck.tk/3uf41rDk

Some very obvious changes and updates if you want to put some cash in to it. Faster mana (Mana Crypt, Ancient Tomb, Gaea's Cradle - $$$) if you want to break the bank, and cards like Doubling Season and Primal Vigor should be included. But it's a great entry-level commander deck since it's a lot of newer cards. I'm testing it as a starter to get a friend in to EDH for, like, $150.

e: I've been playing the exact version above on xmage and have dominated both multiplayer and single player. For a "budget" commander deck it's a lot of fun!

Balon fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 6, 2017

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bowmore posted:

What's the combo?

Rishkar turns all your guys with counters in to mana dorks, Paradox Engine untaps all your non-land stuff whenever you cast a spell. As long as you can keep refreshing or drawing cards you barf out your deck until you can cast a craterhoof or whatnot.

Last night I genesis waved for 43!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Go with a powerful mono colored deck. I love making mono colored decks that just whallop the 3-4 color superstars.

It helps that you have to spent like 1/10 on a mana base you would in a multicolor deck as well.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Marchesa pillowfort is great, discouraging attacking and wearing a fancy hat. Think ghostly prison, light mine field, norn's annex, no mercy, etc. planeswalkers also fit this bill as suggested because players have to choose carefully when attacking.

Then you also want to build in strong uses for when you aren't the monarch as well - attrition, grave pact, etc. efficient use of the tokens she generates is helpful. Creatures like Ophiomancer pull double duty in this regard.

Lastly a strong removal/control package. Burn, board wipes, single target - your colors are the best in all these categories. Players can't attack you if they have no creatures.

Toss in good black draw, a standard fast mana package, and the deck kind of builds itself.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Gravepact and Dictate of Erebos. Note that you can put a -1/-1 counter on your own snakes, essentially getting you an Innocent Blood every attack.

There's also a 5-mana green enchantment that gets you a 1/1 elf whenever a -1/-1 counter is placed on a creature you control. Unlike Hapatra it will trigger for each counter placed on a creature - Liege gets you 2, Carnifex gets you 2, etc. with Hapatra suddenly each of those creatures gets you 3 tokens each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Thanks to some additions from Amonkhet I decided to rebuild my mono-white Brimaz soldier tokens deck. Anointed Procession and Oketra's Monument are both very welcome new cards that give it some real legs. And both can be tutored for in-color as well, which is awesome. When Brimaz brings 2 vigilant friends in swinging each turn it gets real crazy - I resolved a Cathars' Crusade and had a table scoop right there and then.