Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I get that not everyone has a playgroup that they talk about what kind of format they want to have or simply ask "are we playing our tuned decks tonight or getting poo poo faced and playing jank?" but it seems like a 5 minute discussion where you're playing would solve a loving lot of problems with EDH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Four and another three I'm working on. I'd consider 2 of them cEDH viable(Niv-Mizzet and Riku clones), one is just a fun Tariel board wipe/reanimator deck, and my 4th is a stupid Márton Stromgald goblin deck that either does nothing or attacks everyone for 60 on turn 4 with a wide enough board.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Personal opinion is that it's not that power creep is happening but the speed at which it is happening is ramping and making it harder and harder to define what casual actually looks like. cEDH is obviously it's own beast but when casual decks start getting that same homogeny because obviously better stuff has come out in the last 6 months to a year, it is a problem.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

At this point I'm expecting them to come out with a Secret Lair drop called "Power Nine" made up of Greater Gargodon, Terrastidon, Panglacial Wurm, Arboroth, Ancient Brontodon, Breaching Leviathan, Colossus of Sardis, Draco, and Yargle.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Grevlek posted:

Are there really only like 11 'enchantress' effects?

I'm trying to find play an enchantment, draw a card.

I suppose there are a handful of play a creature, draw a card effects that could do double duty for enchantment creatures. I'm looking to make a classic Uril Voltron deck, and it seems like most of the lists there are a few years old.

I was able to find Argothian Enchantress, Eidolon of Blossoms, Enchantress's Presence, Femeref Enchantress, Kestia the Cultivator, Mesa Enchantress, Satyr Enchanter, Setessian Champion, Shoal Krakken, Tuvasa the Sunlit, and Verduran Enchantress. I'll have to pitch the two commander cards, and the shoal krakken, so that brings me down to 8 enchantress effects. Femeref only nets cards when Uril dies, so that isn't a ton of help there.

Also, why is Argothian Enchantress 20 bucks?

Having run an enchantment heavy deck before, having 2 effects is almost backbreaking when you're in the swing of things. Recursion is much more useful, even if there's like 3 actually good ones. gently caress Replenish being like $60+ is what I'm getting at.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Crystal Chimes is the granddaddy of them all, Tragic Poet requires you to sac it, Monk Idealist is an ETB, and Silent Sentinel gets you an enchantment to the battlefield every time it attacks.

Sentinel is 7cmc so it actually fits nicely into longer games pretty well. It's also a 4/6 flyer so it's got the rear end to back itself up.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I thought the problem was that the Companion condition was free in EDH so it was just all upside.

Lutri is also not anywhere near as backbreaking now that they changed how companions work so unban the otter, I guess, is my warm take.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Enchantment based decks are, imo, always going to feel linear unless you're playing an opponent because you're searching and playing for optimization instead of answers whenever you get the opportunity.

I made a 5-color enchantment themed turtling deck that seemed to do nothing until it made everyone actually do nothing. Linear but oppressive as gently caress if the table isn't ready to deal with enchantments.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I play Chemister in both of my decks that can run him and while it can be disappointing at times, he's a really good card late game to refill a hand/dig for an answer or just straight up an issue if I cheat him out early enough. If you have any sort of graveyard recursion, being able to dome something for 4+ via discard for R tends to infuriate people.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

10 signets takes up too much space, imo, depending on your budget. When I put together my 5c EDH deck, I spent the money for the lorwyn/morningtide filter lands instead. They are absolutely an option if you're on a budget but the filters and enough dual color lands helped me without taking up those slots.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Thirding Abundance. It's an absolute beast of a card and completely breaks Sylvan Library even more than it already is since it's a draw replacement effect.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

If you're gonna focus on Seedborn you may want to cut Stasis. Stasis will shut off you Seedborn procs since untap steps just don't happen.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Tariel pact/reanimator if we wanna get spicy with 7cmc commanders

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

The One Ring should give a creature Shadow :colbert:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I know design pipeline and all that but I really felt like Ikoria was trying to cash in on Monster Hunter but that might just be me.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I would run 5 color Sisay as you commander since you're gonna be running plenty of Legendaries with all those Shrines

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Codie is not any different or less fantastic a name than Kaya or Tyvar or Osgir, they even made sure to spell it like a Millenial wine mom would, like Jadyn or Kalvin

Codie is short for Codimiteius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Wouldn't the ability go on the stack when you activate the ninjutsu and then not give a poo poo if it's still around?