Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Here's a good deck for grinding SCG side events and stuff: http://deck.tk/6SrF3ZNO

Hermit Druid with Worldgorger backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I got the Oloro Commander deck and have been retooling it for life gain with the win condition of Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood or Felidar Sovereign, unfortunately that's not really enough and I usually end up being more of a roadblock for the big creature decks. Most of the time I end up losing to some combo that I can't stop that either mills my deck or does knocks my life to 0 at 1 damage increments. I still have fun because I've been able to stop some people from doing ridiculous things like draw 9 cards on an attack but it bugs me that this casual fun format is usually won by difficult to stop combos.

Add Urza's Armor and an Eldrazi. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I want my next Commander deck to be tribal elves. Can anyone link some really solid builds? I've done some research and I've seen a bunch of lists but most of them look bad and I wanna run a good solid deck.

Also is a good elf deck better for 1 on 1 or multiplayer?

Your best generals for Elves are:
Edric
Gaddock Teeg
Karona
Momir Vig
Phelddagrif
Yeva

They each have their merits. If you decide on a general, I can give you a decent shell to go with them, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
As flavorful as it might be, I probably wouldn't put Temple of the False God in a 5 color deck. Especially one without a full complement of Duals/Fetches. In fact, I'd probably never put it in any deck, considering it's one of the biggest newbie trap lands. It annoys me that they continually shove it into every commander product.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
nm

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
EDH Poison cards by relevance:

90%: Blightsteel Colossus
9%: Grafted Exoskeleton
0.9%: Skittles
0.1%: Other

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlternateNu posted:

e.g., Scion of the Ur-DickDragon

Plays I miss back in the day:

Attack with Scion.
Before damage, copy Dragon Tyrant.
Damage on the stack.
Copy Bolas.
Damage resolves.
Bolas trigger.
Copy Cairn Wanderer.
Damage on the stack.
Copy Teneb.
Teneb trigger.
Reanimate Bolas.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mondrian posted:

Ok so I threw together a deck using Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord as the commander just using stuff I had at hand plus a few bulk rares as my first week of upgrades- let me know what you think:

Basic idea is to play fatties, mill myself, use sac outlets to force people to sacrifice to Dictate of Erebos, then reanimate their fatties and kill them with Jarad's activated ability.
It probably needs stuff with Undying or Persist+Melira in there somewhere, so I can get more value off the sacrifices.

I feel like it probably needs more normal removal - I'm kinda hoping I can gum up the ground and just pick off flyers that i can't deal with.

That's a real suspect strategy, and your weird deck construction rules make it pretty much impossible to give you accurate suggestions, but here goes:

You got a lot of durdles in your deck. Examples: Syphon Soul, Feast on the Fallen, Rakshasa's Secret.

Drop anything that doesn't directly impact the board meaningfully (giving you a couple +1/+1 counters conditionally, eventually isn't meaningful) and get some gas and interaction.

Ambition's Cost, Harmonize, Hoarder's Greed, Harrowing Journey, Night's Whisper, Sign in Blood, Read the Bones, Syphon Mind (depending ont he size of the pods)

Play dudes with good EtB/dies effects:
Yavimaya Elder, Pelekka Wurm, Acidic Slime, Eternal Witness, Bone Shredder, Deadwood Treefolk, etc.

Play some real removal:
Go for the Throat, Betrayal of Flesh, Putrefy, Ghastly Demise, Slaughter, Snuff Out

Also, get some dredgers. At the very least:
Stinkweed Imp, Dakmor Salvage, and Golgari Thug

But most importantly, play Diabolic Servitude.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chamale posted:

Man, I hate Hinder in commander under normal circumstances, but on MTGO if Necropotence exiles your commander from your library, it doesn't go into your hand as it should.
Wait what. What does it do?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlternateNu posted:

Skullclamp should really be banned in EDH along with Prophet of Kruphix. :colbert:

-Sheldon.txt

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samael posted:

Need some help with my Maelstrom Wanderer Permanent Based Primal Surge deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/primal-surgemaelstrom-wanderer-edh/

Looking for more value creatures in my deck I can put in and what I should possibly cut. It's mainly casual, so I don't want to spend too much (more) on it.

Thinking of Mirri's Guile/Slyvan Library, are they any good in this kind of deck?

Sylvan is A++ in literally every green deck. It's enough reason to splash green on its own.

Can't help much with 99randomcards.dec, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I play duel commander mostly which has a far more reasonable ban list. :colbert:

Both of the banlists are lovely for different reasons. One is missing completely broken things (Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Hermit Druid, etc.), while the other has warped their format with their laughable bans (i.e. Winter Orb, Humility). The best thing that could happen is for WotC to co-opt both formats and make an official format that doesn't suck.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samael posted:

The deck is about ramping to 8 mana, playing wanderer, bouncing it back through various effects and chaining several cascades and beating people down for the win and has several plan B options if that doesn't work.

What do you do against people who don't durdle for an hour?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sorry my good points give you the feelbads. Just go run to Sheldon's apron strings so he can make you feel like a special snowflake again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Anyone have any good anti-mill sideboard suggestions for tiny leaders? My buddy is on an esper mill deck. I'm playing Brimaz soldier tribal and have aegis of the gods maindecked, but that alone doesn't seem like enough.

Elixir of Immortality + Enlightened Tutor?

Jotun Grunt?

e:That's what I get for not clicking submit for an hour. Jotun Grunt still stands especially for Soldier Tribal.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 3, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You plebs need to just embrace Sylvan Library and rockstar your CA to victory.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tajic is the poor man's Zurgo. Also, :laffo: at the dudes butthurt about infect.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hermit Druid still legal.

3 cards specifically made for Commander format rendered inert.

Sheldon 2015.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

It's not like red has an abundance straight-up Planeswalker kill available to it.

When was the last time you were trying to kill a Planeswalker with so much Loyalty you couldn't just burn-spell it? And how monumentally far ahead was that person regardless?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Shortest Path posted:

Using something that never should have been part of the format in the first place to deal with a non-problem is a silly expectation.

Yeah. That's why they never made a bunch of tuck cards SPECIFICALLY FOR AND ONLY AVAILABLE IN COMMANDER PRODUCTS.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Shortest Path posted:

It's kind of like how they made a big deal over Kokusho and Staff of Domination and then once they finally decided to unban them... nothing happened.

Hey, let me tell you how smart and cool Sheldon and The Buttweasels are.

For instance, this time they had no loving clue what to do with the banlist and were totally loving wrong.

I mean... wait... gently caress.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Thread's Honorary McMagic posted:

I meant the whole thing about EDH players not wanting to play to win and getting mad at early aggression. Most groups aren't like that, I really have no idea where that stereotype comes from.

Maybe you should read Sheldon's 10,000 articles before you bring that weak-rear end poo poo up in my hood.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

It's possible to go really weird places with this. For example, your Commander gets tucked (and you choose to allow it for some reason) then your opponent plays Praetor's Grasp and takes your Commander. Does he have to tell you?

There was already a rule for this and the answer was yes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

Here's a Skullbriar deck I threw together based on the concept before; fucktons of creature removal with splashes of discard and artifact/enchantment kill.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/skullbriar-goes-the-distance/?c=1988741

I tried to avoid $$$$$ cards. If you're rich, add Bob, Goyf, Deed and Bayou.

Tuck rule didn't change in TL.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, Icequake, Thermokarst, Beast Within, Ghost Quarter, Ice Storm, Rain of Tears, Rancid Earth, and Winter's Grasp. Beast Within and Ghost Quarter are both better than Sinkhole, Tec Edge, or Dust Bowl.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Because it's unique and diverse. I mean, look at this report. Top 8s pretty consistently represent 6-8 different decks.

Either way, that has nothing to do with what I posted. Mostly, this bit:

TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE HIGH LEVEL EDH PLAY YOU OBSERVED AT:

The MTG EDH Philippines 2014 Christmas Party/Free Tournament

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grifter posted:

Comments?

Your curve is super high and a lot of your stuff is uncastable. You should be going more reanimator with self-mill than trying to sling 8 and 9 mana haymakers with no ramp and no protection. I mean, you are already handicapped by the fact that Karador is really bad. Don't make it harder on yourself. Also, get some cheap interaction like StP, Path, Snuff Out, etc. Right now, you have pretty much nothing to do on opponents' turns or before turn 5.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grifter posted:

Okay, let's see.

Cut
Decree of Pain
Gaze of Granite
In Garruk's Wake
Butcher of Malakir
Ink-Eyes Servant of Oni
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
Vish Kal, Blook Arbiter

Added
Weathered Wayfarer
Condemn
Swords to Plowshares
Yavimaya Elder
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Viridian Emissary
Snuff Out
Joraga Treespeaker

link

What's bad about Karador? When I plan on tossing around as many Wraths as needed, it seems good to be able to make him cheaper from all the other creatures I put in the graveyard, as well as recasting them. What are better options for this type of deck?

I'd leave Decree in because it at least does something for 5 at instant speed. Karador is bad because he's an unprotected 3/4 who does pretty much nothing on his own and you still have to pay full price on your dudes from the yard. Teneb does better at the kind of deck you are trying to make. As a general WGB general, Doran and Anafenza are both 10x better than Karador.

I wouldn't bother with Land Tax or Weathered Wayfarer as you aren't doing anything that really makes use of them. Wood Elves will generally get you farther than either of those.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Grifter posted:

Going by your assessments, it seems like I'm just not on a very good path for this deck so I'm going to take a step back from it for now. What I was looking for from it was a playstyle that wasn't necessarily one that rushed to win or sought out a combo. What I want to do is exert some control over the game, while building value and eventually overwhelm the board similar to what I was trying to do here by gaining disproportionate value from board wipes. I realize that's a pretty general statement, but are their recommended generals for that?

Ghost Dad 2.0 or Big Zurgo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I love that the Sheldon crew created a commander that is the literal antithesis of everything they've ever said. It's literally a commander that is better in the Command Zone than actually being cast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fiend Computer posted:

Anyone have a good list or skeleton for Sapling of Colfenor? I've been wanting to make a commander deck that isn't red, and all of the lists I've seen seem really bad.

Worldslayer and your 98 best GB cards. Sapling doesn't do enough personally to make a deck around.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Coucho Marx posted:

I've put together my first Tiny Leader deck for a tournament next week, and I was looking for some feedback. The general plan is to get my guys killed (mainly in combat) with Athreos out for his triggers, then pull a whole bunch of my dead creatures back at once to finish. I'm three cards over and not sure what to cut, maybe a two-drop and some removal?

Deck: Orzhov's Hateful Bears (Tiny Leader Athreos)

//Tiny Leader
1 Athreos, God of Passage

//Land
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Command Tower
1 Fetid Heath
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Marsh Flats
1 Phyrexian Tower
3 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
3 Swamp
1 Temple of Silence
1 Windswept Heath

//Bears
1 Accorder Paladin
1 Blood Artist
1 Cartel Aristocrat
1 Corrupt Court Official
1 Dark Confidant
1 Gatekeeper of Malakir
1 Grand Abolisher
1 High Priest of Penance
1 Imposing Sovereign
1 Mesmeric Fiend
1 Skirsdag High Priest
1 Sunstrike Legionnaire
1 Suture Priest
1 Tidehollow Sculler
1 Vampire Hexmage
1 War Priest of Thune

//Not Bears
1 Archetype of Courage
1 Mother of Runes
1 Xathrid Necromancer

//Reanimators
1 Return to the Ranks
1 Immortal Servitude
1 Wake the Dead

//Disruption
1 Gerrard's Verdict
1 Hymn to Tourach
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Tangle Wire

//Removal
1 Council's Judgment
1 Smother
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Vindicate

//Anthem and Utility
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1 Dark Ritual
1 Glorious Anthem
1 Zealous Persecution

//Sideboard
1 Aegis of the Gods
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Perish
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
1 True Believer
1 Virtue's Ruin

Display deck statistics

yes I know they aren't all technically bears, work with me here

Having an Athreos TL deck without Offalsnout and Wispmare just seems wrong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Olothreutes posted:

What are the best U/G goodstuff cards?

Sylvan Library
Force of Will
Mana Drain
Hermit Druid
Back to Basics
Brainstorm
Beast Within
Phyrexian Metamorph
Phantasmal Image
Bribery
Shardless Agent
Submerge

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Feedback: Figure out if you want to play a ~lolrandom~ deck with a $5 mana base and durdly cards where your commander doesn't even matter or if you want to play an actual Edric deck. There isn't anything to say about the former and you sure aren't even close to the latter right now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fiend Computer posted:

This actually brings up a question I've had for awhile. How do people in the thread feel about alters/gold border in commander? I don't care personally and use a few gold bordered cards myself.

I don't mind alters. But it takes a real shitheel to call a printed proxy of a $400 card an "alter".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo. Just to be clear, I never said not to let people use their proxies at the kitchen table. That's up to whoever's table it is.

But alters are generally an artistic creation with a certain amount of effort contributed by the artist.

Smugly gloating about your mass-printed ebay proxies and calling them "alters" cheapens the efforts of the artists who do create alters.

If you do that, you are a shitheel.

It's like putting a Type-R sticker on your old beater Civic and bragging that you got a ~sweet deal~ on a ~high-performance street racing machine~.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LordSaturn posted:

Who does this?

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. I got a $15 alter off ebay for that. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If you are poor and can't afford a good manabase, that's one thing.

If you have a $1000+ dollar deck and a $5 manabase and whine because every 3rd game you can't cast anything, gently caress you, buddy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

How the hell do you even get to $1000 without lands? The goodstuff-est BUG goodstuff possible?

I dunno. Ask the guy on the last page who was jamming Force of Will and Jace, the Mind Sculptor in his UG deck, but couldn't afford a Breeding Pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dohaeris posted:

I snagged a Mind Seize deck to play with friends, mostly kitchen table shenanigans. They have a lot of older cards, I only have stuff from current standard. Anything super cheap and effective I can throw in there to improve it?

Only about 15 cards out of the 100 in that deck are really even playable. The only thing that keeps it going at all is its absurdly designed commander (spoiler: he's better in the command zone than on the battlefield 90% of the time).

Some cheap and effective additions:

Mulldrifter
Trinket Mage
Treasure Mage
Sword of the Meek
Fleshbag Marauder
Shriekmaw
Magister Sphinx
Myr Retriever
Akroma's Vengeance
Terminus
Rout
Mystic Remora
Fact or Fiction
Counterspell
Brainstorm
Ponder
Animate Dead
Necromancy
Merciless Eviction
Mortify
Supreme Verdict
Expedition Map

And a mana base. But I don't have enough time to outline a budget Esper mana base. Just stay away from CipT monocolor lands or any land that makes colorless mana.