Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow225 posted:

What are you guys thinking in regards to the quality of the frames of the C17 decks and upgrade paths for '70%' tables?

My current thoughts are that the decks are somewhere like:
1. Wizards. - The Eminence Commander seems really fun. Grixis with an innate, better Minion Reflector that can potentially burn for 7 a turn if you get ahead on board. I think that the clone effects are solid. The faux Necrotic Ooze guy actually seems really weak to me.
2. Dragons. - Ramos seems like the most powerful commander in the group. On a casual table, you can just midrange dragon stompy, on a more competitive table you can 5 color control and hit 10+ mana very quickly.
3. Vampires. - I think Edgar can surprise some people. 5/5 First Strike isn't anything to sneeze at, especially if you already have a board. The main thing holding this back is that you have to play a lot of mediocre creatures in order to swing for the life you want to swing for when Edgar comes down. The bounty guy I'm not as high on as everyone else tbh.
4. Cats. - In a multiplayer format, a recurring giant growth doesn't seem great in a tribe without a lot of prior support. The equipment subtheme is interesting to me, and would be the only reason I would consider the deck.

I haven't thought about upgrade paths yet.

What about you?

(to quickly preface this: I'm fairly new to Magic (started in like Jan 2016) and mostly played Modern for a year, and only recently picked up EDH, so my collection is not very big yet. Lots of ideas, but I only have so much time and money.)

I've ordered all 4 commander decks this year, after regretting only getting one last year and seeing their prices spike (I picked up Invent Superiority last year and am kicking myself for not grabbing the Atraxa deck). I figured getting them all this year will curb such regrets while helping to fill my collection with staples for my decks.

I don't really know how I feel about the quality of the decks in their precon states, honestly. The Wizards deck seems to be kind of all over the place without any absolute strategy, the Dragons deck seems great, but the stock manabase is atrocious for a 5-color deck (and no Chromatic Lantern is genuinely a shame), and the Vampires and Cats decks seem pretty solid in their original forms, at least compared to Wizards and Dragons.

But when it comes to how I rank them in how much value I see in them:

1. Definitely Wizards. It has a lot of cards that I have wanted to get but never really got around to getting, and all three of the new commanders are interesting enough to me to want to build around them. I'm especially excited for Inalla, who is just absurd with Panharmonicon. (6x ETB triggers? yes please, there's just so much to abuse there.) Mairsil seems like a ton of fun too. He seems weak at first, but if done right, he takes Voltron-esque strategies to a whole new level... kind of. He's a combo piece in and of himself. Give him stuff like Aetherling so he can flicker himself to save himself (and to give himself more abilities). If played right, he can be incredibly powerful-- keep in mind that while you can only use an ability once per turn, you can flicker him and use it again and again, especially if you have a way of getting infinite mana for activations or Thousand Year Elixir so he can tap right away. Either way, the deck also has Marchesa, the Black Rose in it and I was planning on building a deck around her some day, so that's just kind of the cherry on top.
2. Vampires, if not only because some of the new cards in it are perfect for my Queen Marchesa aikido-style deck-- namely Teferi's Protection and Disrupt Decorum. There's nothing more fun to me in EDH than turning opponents' power against them and punishing them for over-extending. Edgar seems pretty cool to build a Vampire deck around, and Mathas seems like his own style of aikido-commander when played right.
3. Dragons. The manabase may be really poor, but I really like how the deck is loaded with potential commanders (yeah, I know most of them aren't good, but having options to build more budget-y decks to play with is a fun idea to me.
4. Cats. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, because turning creatures sideways really isn't my MO when it comes to commander play, nor do I really tend to play green much-- but there's a lot of fun potential to be had in it. I'm really interested in building a deck around Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist.

I do have a question about building around Inalla though: Would playing Sundial of the Infinite allow you to somehow keep the copied Wizard tokens? That is to say, let their exile trigger go on the stack and tap the Sundial, as it exiles all abilities on the stack? Because if the Inalla+Panharmonicon interactions weren't already broken enough... well, it's going to be a fun deck. I look forward to casting Anathemancer and copying it twice, hitting opponents for however many nonbasic lands they have up to 6 times.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

What interactions?

(I may be wrong on some of these. I wrote them down late last night when I couldn't sleep and was just scouring lists of Wizards with ETBs to abuse. Please point out any mistakes if you see them.)

So, Inalla + Panharmonicon.

If Inalla is on the battlefield as a Wizard enters the battle field, she gets 2 triggers, which lets you get 2 copies. Cast a Wizard with an ETB effect. 2 ETB triggers. Get 2 more of that wizard in token copies. 2 more ETBs each. 6 total ETBs for an extra 2 mana per Wizard cast.
(If she's not on the battlefield, Panharmonicon doesn't trigger her, but it still triggers the Wizard's ETBs and its copy's ETBs, so 4 triggers with her in the command zone.)

Consider Champion of Wits, 6 times. Draw a ton of cards and yeah, you'll have to discard a bunch, but that's okay. You want your graveyard filled with wizards in the endgame anyway, because you can totally reanimate them in one huge burst. More on that down the list.
Anathemancer, 6 times. Damage equal to number of nonbasic lands on target opponent(s). Times 6.
Aether Adept, 6 times. Bounce 6 creatures-- or bounce 5 and bounce the Adept itself back to your hand, using one of the copies' triggers.
Archaeomancer, 6 times. Get 6 instants or sorceries back in your hand.
Dualcaster Mage, 6 times. Copy a spell 6 times.
Master of Waves, 6 times. Get your devotion to blue in elementals. Times 6. This deck is primarily blue. It will (literally) flood the board.
Sower of Temptation, 6 times. Steal 6 of your opponents' creatures. (And sac them to Ashnod's Altar and cast more stuff.)
Puppeteer Clique, 6 times. Get 6 creatures from your opponents' graveyards, swing with them, and then sac them or let them get exiled. (Also infinite ETBs if you run Ashnod's Altar + Nim Deathmantle)
Aven Fogbringer, 6 times. Bounce 6 of your opponent's lands.
Venser, Shaper Savant, 6 times. Bounce 5 of your opponents' permanents, and then the original Venser back to your hand. Repeat. Yes, it's legend rule restricted so the copies can't stay, but he's essentially an instant that reads 2UU: Return 5 target spells or permanents to their owners' hands, buyback 2.
Trinket/Trophy/Treasure Mage, 6 times. Grab 6 artifacts of qualifying CMCs.
Noggle Hedge-Mage, 6 times. Tap 12 permanents or deal 2 damage 6 times as you please to target player(s).
Faerie/Merrow Harbinger, 6 times. Fetch 6 faeries or merfolk, if you have them. Not really necessary, but they let you grab...
Mistbind Clique, 6 times. Champion the second copy to the first copy, tap two opponents out, then champion that to the original, tap another out... I think? How would the stack work on that... anyway that or
Wanderwine Prophets, swing into extra turns.
Dack's Duplicate, 6 times. Copy any 6 creatures. Whether or not you get to duplicate copied Wizards, I'm not sure. But ridiculous either way.

And finally,
Bloodline Necromancer, 6 times. Remember when I said we're okay with Champion of Wits filling the graveyard? Bring 6 Wizards back to the battlefield, trigger Inalla 2 times for each, just dominate the game. Best with Ashnod's Altar. Keep in mind you can bounce the Necromancer back with Venser or Aether Adept, sac EVERYTHING to the Altar, recast the Necromancer, DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. Repeat the process and bounce all of your opponents' permanents and swing for kill or just bounce everything but their lands and kill with Anathemancer or Noggle Hedge-Mage damage.

Stuff like that. Then fill your deck with flicker and reanimation spells. And Marchesa, the Black Rose, because recursion is amazing and lets you be aggressive. Also, Havengul Lich. Also, Corpse Dance/Dawn of the Dead with sac outlets to allow you to keep using the wizards you bring back.
Also, Azami, Lady of Scrolls. Tap those wizards that will just be exiled anyway and draw cards, or tap them with Inalla if she's on the battlefield and do damage.
Paradox Engine to keep using Azami's ability (as well as Inalla's, if you wish) every time you cast something, as well as your Sol Ring. Free double Inalla payment for every Wizard you cast.
Arcanis the Omnipotent, copied twice. Tap the second copy, draw 3, destroy it to legend rule. Tap the first copy, draw 3, destroy it to legend rule. okay that doesn't work, ignore that.

There's a lot of potential for things to get ridiculous here and I'm excited.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 18, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Ah. Well drat, my mistake. I'll strike that comment from my list.

Arcanis combined with Paradox Engine is still a thing at any rate. May as well have a Laboratory Maniac in the deck somewhere so Arcanis can serve as a way toward a win condition.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of wish I could find a playgroup that focuses on "dollar rares and goofy tribals" to be honest. The playgroups I've participated in are quite a bit more competitive and often involves at least one dude at the table playing solitaire trying to make his infinite game-winning combo go off without interacting with anyone, which is why I have decks that also have some combos in them but still manage to be interactive so the game is... you know, an actual game. And I have a deck that pretty strongly focuses on punishing opponents for getting greedy (and it's my favorite deck).

But really, I kind of wish I could just build a janky-rear end deck with a subpar commander and play against people who have built the same. Feels like there is a lot more room for interaction and variance and overall entertainment value.

Until then, I guess I need to stay at least relevant at a table of dudes who own and use single cards that are worth more than my entire deck.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow225 posted:

It may be worth suggesting the idea. Maybe not as an attack on them or their playstyle, but rather as a 'new' format to break out every few games.

I'll keep that in mind. I just recently started going to a different LGS because the dudes at the one I used to go to were frankly pretty obnoxious and clique-y, so we'll see how it goes there.

quote:

Related to griping about groups: I played in a 4 Player Pod last week. Oloro, Ezuri, Nekusar, and my Breya. Oloro maintained control pretty much the entire game, killing the Ezuri and Nekusar players. I'm one turn away from death when he taps out. I go off milling him with Altar of the Brood+Sharuum+Metamorph. He gets salty saying that I've never beaten him in a game without an infinite combo, and that he was going to exclusively attack me every game I played Breya because of the combos. He was complaining that my combo was uninteractive and that I fetched the combo pieces with Sphinx Summoner on two earlier turns. I'm just like dude, I played a 3 card combo based on artifact creatures, among the most fragile permanents in the game. He then breaks out a Lab Maniac deck after complaining about combos. idgi. I want to just feel my deck with wipes ad infinitum now.

I don't mind combos like that. 3-card combos, especially ones that require them all to be permanents, are really fragile-- and Sharuum is a really well-known combo piece, so it's not like you wouldn't see it coming. I wouldn't be upset about losing to that, especially since Breya decks have a lot of potential to be interactive and fun while Oloro decks just sit there and slow the game down.

See, bullshit like that is precisely why I built my Queen Marchesa deck, to have answers for the more obnoxious play styles and combos. I use it to pillow fort (Ghostly Prison, Windborn Muse, Crawlspace, Island Sanctuary, Solitary Confinement) and throw down rattlesnakes to encourage my opponents to kill each other, and I help them do that by using things like Duelist's Heritage to give an attacker double strike... stuff like that. Make it feel like a stax deck when you're attacking me and make it feel like a group hug deck when you're attacking someone else. It has things like Batwing Brume and Rakdos Charm for combos that make a ton of tokens (or ramp decks that throw down a bunch of attackers), Deflecting Palm/Comeuppance for those spells that go for huge damage, Delirium/Backlash for huge creatures, and Price of Progress/Acidic Soil/Anathemancer for over-extending ramp decks. Sunforger is in the deck to grab any of those (except Acidic Soil) at any time needed. Master of Cruelties works against lifegain decks, and I can grab various answers from outside the game with Burning Wish, such as Reverse the Sands (also for lifegain), Sadistic Sacrament (anti-combo/solitaire), Morningtide (anti-graveyard), Aether Snap (anti-planeswalker/infect/counters in general). It's surprisingly fun and political, which is precisely what I want out of a game. It isn't prohibitive-- it lets opponents play their decks in the way they like without restricting them from playing in general. They're just penalized for attacking me, so it encourages them to hit someone else. It's very interactive, and there are no infinite combos.

quote:

I don't think Mathas is the Aikido guy you want. Queen Marcheesa works because she gives you resources to kill or get Monarch again. Mathas just says hey, kill this guy over here. You get two life and you get to replace the card you spent to kill it. It's a really weak effect.

The Sundial of the Infinite trick works exactly the way you think it does.

I'll also stand by my assertion that Mairsil takes too many resources to do...not much. I understand why the once per turn restriction is in place, but it makes the card really useless.

Fair point, yeah. I guess I just got a little excited when I saw Mathas because it looked like something that encourages opponents to use their resources to kill stuff for you, while you still reap the benefits of them dying. Same on Mairsil. He's probably a lot harder to use in practice than he is on paper.

And good to hear on Sundial. I'm really looking forward to building Inalla now.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Out of curiosity, what kind of things would you ban to bring more balance to the general competitive meta?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ZeroCount posted:

And sometimes their idea of Bad EDH includes stuff like 'countering my spells', 'knocking me out of the game before I can complete my durdle pillowfort combo' or 'ganging up on me because I'm about to win the game'. Not to mention, and this is just my own personal taste, their ideas of Good EDH often include stuff like group-hug or chaos decks, two archetypes which unless they are managed well, easily toxic up any game they appear in for more or less no reason other than shits or giggles.

That's what happened with the dude who drove me to build my anti-combo deck (and in fact, ran Thrasios and Tymna partners). He got all boastful at the beginning, saying "oh, I won't try to kill you all by turn 2", and got all fussy when we all ganged up on him. He told us what his combo was and how it goes off, so when you start bragging about how amazing your deck is compared to everyone else's and how you're so totally gonna hold back, do you really think that won't paint a huge target on your face? He whined that he had never been "hate-hosed so thoroughly out of a game", but he had it coming. It's not fun playing against a non-interactive durdle combo deck. No one likes sitting there waiting for you to make decisions, tutor, and shuffle multiple times a turn. So yeah, people are gonna focus their energy on you.

There was also another situation at the same LGS: a dude borrowed another guy's deck, (combo deck with The Gitrog Monster), and he went for 45 loving minutes durdling around trying to combo off one turn. We were so mad, because he couldn't even win... and even more mad, because next turn, he durdled for over an hour. An HOUR. He forgot the win condition. And he died to his own combo. That game is now infamous at that store.

So no, I don't feel bad when people like that complain. If you're going to be playing durdly or degenerate combos, at least pull it off in a way that can be demonstrated quickly and people can agree that they have lost. Wasting your opponents' time is the worst thing you could do.

Also, re: bans: I also don't agree with matching Legacy/Restricted bans. I feel like a lot of problems are mollified a bit by only getting to have one individual card in a 99 card deck, which is at least a little more difficult to draw into-- or they're just not relevant.
I could live with the really fast mana cards being out though-- the Mox Opal/Diamond/Chrome, Mana Crypt, Sol Ring, etc. They just lead to a feel-bad experience for everyone else when someone gets those early and everyone else is behind, in my opinion.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 19, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
May as well run Gilded Lotus or something instead, so you essentially get a Dark Ritual every turn.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Erebos is more than Greed on a stick. He's a beautiful piece in my Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim deck, which loves weaponizing lifegain-- so it's just delightfully fun to slam him down while I'm draining opponents and be all "by the way, indestructible enchantment that says you can't gain life". I remember when someone was attacking me with something he boosted to like 1000/1000 and I cast Swords to Plowshares on it, and he got all smug and was all "well, thanks for the 1000 life" and I simply said "no".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Yessss, they're here. A friend and I are gonna play with the precons this weekend.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Shahrazad was legal, just for novelty's sake.

Played my precons with my friend over the weekend; they worked surprisingly well against each other. Amazing how much you can get done when both players have garbage-tier manabases.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

This is a real fukken good video and is very similar to what I go through when I'm revising decks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzikNoIbEQ

Excellent deckbuilding advice. I kind of wanna flick them both in the forehead every time they say $500 is "budget" though.

(Yes, I understand that's low compared to decks that can go into the thousands, but that will always, always be overkill in my eyes.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

hoobajoo posted:

M:tG Commander Thread: My definition of fun is objectively better than yours

Though I was quite definitively stating a subjective opinion? :confused:

Toshimo posted:

Get ready to update your Sisay decks. EVERY PLANESWALKER IS NOW LEGENDARY.

Oh poo poo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So is this new Jace good at all? I've been reading the card for a while trying to figure out what he's good for and it's not really gripping me. I guess if you can get a bunch of Jaces on the board you can get a lot of loots or illusions but that's a huge amount of setup.

Am I missing something, or is he just bad, aside from the confirmation that we can now run multiple versions of planeswalkers with the same name?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So what's the best way to build a competitive Kess deck? After watching that "budget" brew video on competitive Inalla, I've realized I don't really want to build her competitively, rather going with the more janky but much more showoffy Panharmonicon shenanigans for more casual games.

I'm assuming you just load up the deck with cantrips, counterspells, removal, rituals/high tide, mana doublers, and just storm off?

Framboise fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 29, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I think you're more likely to be on the Taking Turns plan of just time walking 10 times.

So what, just load up the deck with extra turns and go nuts? I can get on board with that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That sounds cool for 1v1, but what do you do after eliminating someone in a multiplayer game? Would there be enough fuel to keep doing it? What's the backup plan?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm... slamming down extra turns and then finishing with Twin/Kiki-Jiki and/or Doomsday/Labman sounds more fun to me than storm. A little less flashy, but they both sound like more absolute wincons than storm does.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
All right, here's my take on a Kess, Dissident Mage Taking Turns/Twin deck, as discussed earlier: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kess-turnstwin/

Would anyone mind ripping it apart and telling me if I'm off track and loving it up? There are, obviously, way too many cards in the deck because I don't know what to cut. Also, it's not hyper-extreme competitive, but tappedout puts it at 89%, which I'm okay with-- but that means I won't be springing for stuff like Mana Crypt, Temporal Manipulation, Yawgmoth's Will, Force of Will, Pact of Negation... stuff like that any time soon, unless I can sink a bunch of cards I don't use into a trade or something.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I like Mystic Retrieval and Mizzix's Mastery in these kinds of decks. Maybe over some of the rituals or the worse counterspells?

Also, Vryn's Prodigy/Snapcaster?

Hm, I can see Mystic Retrieval and Mizzix's Mastery going in. And a maybe to Baby Jace; he's still a bit on the pricey side right now and I need to buy fetches/shocks and such.

As for Snapcaster I'm not sure. I feel like I'll have enough resources flowing, along with Kess' ability, to make him maybe not super necessary? I'd put him in if I had him, but I dunno if I want to sink $45 into getting one, you know?

I am wondering what I should be cutting from this; maybe I don't need quite so many counterspells? I have a fuckton of cantrips and card filters, but I'm unsure if I should drop any of those when the more I draw means the more I cast, and whatever I cast or discard ends up being castable yet again.

Re: Tymna and Thrasios: They're very frustrating to face when everyone at the table isn''t all aware of what the deck's plan is. Inexperienced players won't see either of them as much of a threat because what they do doesn't feel instantly devastating. I have kind of a hate against the deck though because the dude in my meta who plays it plays it so un-interactively he may as well just be playing alone, which doesn't make for a fun game at all.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

superstepa posted:

Mystic Retrieval and Mizzix Mastery are a bit too slow for a competitive deck if that's what you are going for. Past in Flames is probably the best option for that type of spell and it has really good synergy with entomb and gamble.

As for your counterspell package I'd replace Daze/Force Spike and Izzet Charm with Delay and Mana Leak. Also add a mystic remora ASAP, that card is one of the strongest spells in cedh and it's an autoinclude in any blue deck. I'd also play sleight of hand over either thought scour or opt, it's not great but it's slightly better than those two

Good points, I'll swap those out.

That said, Thought Scour's in as part of a Doomsday stack: Frantic Search, Laboratory Maniac, Thought Scour, then whatever else doesn't really matter because Scour sends them to the graveyard before failing to draw a card and winning. I forgot about Sleight of Hand, so I'll switch Opt out for it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

psilo posted:

Wait what's this feature and where can I see that?

It looks like any recently updated tappedout decklists have a meter under the CMC bar graph that gives a percentage ratio for how casual to competitive a deck is-- but I have to wonder how it determines that statistic.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Confirming that the meter is complete bullshit.

so competitive you win the suicide race

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 30, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I'm kind of glad I started looking at building Kess rather than Inalla. Prices on Wanderwine Prophets like, mega spiked. Which would be fine if it was a staple EDH card, but it's not, while most anything you'd play with Kess is.

I just wish fetches and shocks weren't so motherfucking expensive.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Panharmonicon because it's a delightfully fun card that makes for great interactions, and Solemn Simulacrum because value. Seems like your group is not the type that would appreciate Deadeye Navigator, else that'd be my pick instead of one of those.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

hoobajoo posted:

No one cares about Deadeye, one of them is actually trying to convince me to play it. I'm suspicious of his high mana cost, though I guess it is a powerful card. Simulacrum is the one I'm actually the closest to not running because all it really does is ramp a bit for the next turn, and the deck already has a lot of ramp.

I was about to say "but the sad robot draws you a card!" but I remembered that Brago flickers stuff and Solemn Simulacrum only activates that on death.

In that case, my vote goes toward Deadeye or Crystal Shard. Probably Crystal Shard because it's cheaper, but I still think Deadeye is the more explosive piece.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Most expensive detch is what, thirty bucks? That's not horrendous considering how bad they used to be

Most expensive is Scalding Tarn at around $40 for a damaged one. Even if fetches aren't bad in comparison to how they used to be, they're still very expensive when you're buying a bunch at once. So yes, spending that much collectively on a handful of fetches and shocks (especially optimal ones like Scalding Tarn, or Arid Mesa/Fetid Heath, for my other decks) is kind of a punch in the wallet.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I want that new Stasis in paper, myself. That art is gorgeous.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Impressive. I'm amazed she didn't get removed in those few turns.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

lol

Found a Reddit thread where someone has a playgroup that needs help answering Sage of Hours. A 1 toughness creature.

https://www.reddit.com/r/edh/comments/6xqle5

Playgroups who get upset about not being able to interact with combos based on the most fragile type of card with the lowest possible toughness blow my mind.

If you really wanna get some angry faces, drop a Stranglehold on them. I love anti-durdle and extra turn cards that don't punish you yourself for durdling and taking extra turns.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

AJ_Impy posted:

Dropping Stranglehold's favourite partner in crime Maralen of the Mornsong as a followup is gravy.

Oh that's just dirty.

I kind of want to run a Mardu Taxes deck sometime that's way more oppressive than my Queen Marchesa deck with something like that. Just lock people out of the loving game or punish them for playing, hahaha.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 4, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Aniodia posted:

...I kinda have a pillowfort-y Marchesa deck that uses a lot of the so-called "aikido" style of effects, but I'd been looking to make it much more Stax-ish.

Looking through my cards, it seems the only real common Stax stuff I'm missing are Smokestack and Static Orb, both of which I could pick up rather cheaply. I've never really gone too hard in the paint with any sort of deck like that before though, so I'm not entirely sure what a Mardu framework would even begin to look like, let alone how it plays.

Queen Marchesa Aikido is the best way to go for great politics, imo. I love my deck to pieces. Here's mine: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rattlesnake-fortress-of-the-black-rose/ After throwing Disrupt Decorum and Teferi's Protection in, I'm not really sure what else I can do to upgrade it without going into getting fetches/shocks and expensive tutors that aren't as good as Demonic/Vampiric but are better than Dark Petition/Increasing Ambition.

I haven't had an unsatisfying game with it yet, regardless of whether or not I win or lose. But what makes it tick is the fact that it's very much not oppressive at all and goes out of its way to not be threatening, choosing to use opponents' power against them. Make it feel like a group hug deck if you're attacking someone who isn't me, and make it feel like stax if they are attacking me. Encourage opponents to direct their power elsewhere and use them as your weapons!

I think I may do a more oppressive Mardu s/taxes deck with Mathas or Tariel as the commander. One where I make myself as threatening as possible but they can't do anything about it, haha.

Commander has changed me as a player, I feel. I used to be all about the white/blue in modern/standard and disliked playing red/black, but now I tend to prefer black in like every deck I play and I've really grown to like Mardu colors in general.

Edit: the more I look at Maralen of the Mornsong the more interested I am in trying to build a mono-black discard deck revolving around her. She looks like a blast to play, but I wouldn't get Stranglehold if I played with her as the commander :(

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 4, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That makes me want to play Doomsday Kess all that much more. Though Timetwister probably won't ever be happening.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of Kess decks. This seems fantastic. 4 mana does seem a little pricey though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Buried Alive lets you tutor 3 creature cards to graveyard for 2B.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You have my attention. Lot of cards that aren't in my collection in there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Sublime Exhalation is just a strictly better Wrath of God or Day of Judgment in 4+ player games due to easier casting cost. (Unless regeneration is a thing. How often is regeneration a thing.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If you're playing black and not running the Arena I have to wonder why not because it's just amazing.

I wish I ran a green/black deck so I could play Deathrite Shaman. Always have disliked that you need to play both colors of hybrids to be able to include them.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Fair points. On an equally fair notion, both of my decks run a longer game, so incremental value is more important to me, I suppose. Especially when I'm running Solitary Confinement on Queen Marchesa-- having Monarch and Arena online keeps the barrier up while keeping a grip of cards. (That is, when I don't already have Necropotence and insurance that I can keep it up already.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo. Handful of high-dollar EDH cards getting reprinted in Iconic Masters, like Mana Drain and Flusterstorm. Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Magus of the Moon, Jin-Gitaxias, Elesh Norn, Teferi, Consecrated Sphinx, etc. Also stuff like Grove of the Burnwillows, Aether Vial, Auriok Champion, Ancestral Vision, Horizon Canopy, Cryptic Command etc (You know, stuff people wanted in Modern Masters 3).