Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PierreTheMime posted:

It would be nice if they buffed the powers to match the buffs to all BRB powers. They could resell all the Nid cards to players again, thus making more cash-grab money.

Doubt it'll happen, Nid-doomsaying etc.

Yeah, I'd like to see such treatment extended to all the existing codex powers (well, the 6E ones at least), and I'd happily buy card sets for them if they did, but there will probably just be some tweaks in a FAQ.

From what I've read and seen, 7E is shaping up as a missed opportunity to fix the problems in 6E. Each edition of the game has generally improved on what has come before, but this one seems to have gone against that trend and instead of tweaking and improving the rules, it has just added more. That doesn't make it a bad edition, but it doesn't get me excited like prior new editions have. I'm surprising myself with how meh I am about the whole thing. It's not a step backwards like 5E D&D is shaping up to be, but neither is it a step forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've honestly never seen a good 40k video battle report.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Early thoughts on Seventh Edition:

I'm still not happy with Unbound, as I prefer a less abusive environment for my gaming. I don't deny that a few interesting and fun games will come from it, but I think they'll be greatly outnumbered by abusive and ridiculous lists that are un-fun to play against.

The new Psychic phase seems, from early reports, to slow down Psychic power use. Which is fine, I guess. It slows down Prescience spam, and putting the brakes on Malific Summoning spam is a good idea as well.

For Battle-Forged armies, the new Allies Matrix at least makes more sense. Tau and Marines as Battle Brothers always stuck in my craw, and having the number of Battle Brothers cut way the gently caress down while the benefits of BBs being increased please me. Of course, my armies are Guard and Marines, so I concede that I may be a bit biased as the new rules only help me.

Having multiple FOCs even for Battle-Forged seems at first blush to be potentially abusive, but points limits will still affect things. Sure, it's possible to do two cheap HQs and four minimum sized Troops choices then fill the board with Heavy Support or Elites or whatever your army's specialty is. That's especially viable now that (purportedly) everything can score. Nevertheless, while even Battle-Forged armies can now flood the board with Heavies, how high do the points have to go to be able to afford them? For most of my games, which are played in the 1250-1850 range, the limiting factor isn't the FOC, its points. And by the time you get to 2000+, well you could get multiple FOCs back in Sixth Edition once you hit 2k. Not much change there.

Which leads me to the main problem with Seventh Edition. Not enough has changed to justify the cost. I expect this to be the most :filez: edition of the game by a long shot. You've got a lot of people who just bought the Sixth Edition book within the last couple of months who aren't going to be happy about shelling out for Seventh. And you've got people who've learned how few changes there really are between Sixth and Seventh that make it seem even less worthwhile.

Seventh Edition may do what GW needs it to, give it a really good quarter to shore up a failing stock price, but I have my doubts that this is good for the long term health of the game.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Hello new thread.

My playgroup is starting to swing back around to 40k from Fantasy, but they're all pretty jaded about this early release cycle. I think this is the first edition change (40k or Fantasy) that nobody is picking it up on release day. Definitely waiting to see if it's worth it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I decided to hit up the Oxford Street plaza tomorrow at 10 to play a taster game with my buddy, as I'm friends with one of the staff members there and it makes him look good to book people in for that kind of thing. Will give feedback on the psyker phase - we both decided to include a psyker and a flyer so we can see what's up.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

For some reason I can't stand the MWG batrep videos. Or any of their videos, really. Those guys are not funny at all but they try so hard to be. Strikingscorpion82 is awesome though simply for the great presentation.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MWG just seem like a couple of guys having fun playing a game. :shrug:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

I decided to hit up the Oxford Street plaza tomorrow at 10 to play a taster game with my buddy, as I'm friends with one of the staff members there and it makes him look good to book people in for that kind of thing. Will give feedback on the psyker phase - we both decided to include a psyker and a flyer so we can see what's up.
I'd suggest a Psyker for both side, if you can. I did it versus a SM player with no Psyker whatsoever, and his phase was seeing which of my five powers he would throw his two dice against and hope for sixes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Someone has compared the new book to the old one. There are 6 new pages of rules content. 6.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

MWG just seem like a couple of guys having fun playing a game. :shrug:

Dave doesn't annoy me as much as he should. I don't know why. Normally that sort of spastic poo poo grates at me, but compared to Matt and Jay, he's more entertaining. Kris, their painting guy has been helpful when I was getting started and looking for paint technique videos, though he's not great for advanced painting stuff. I learned about the "thin your paints" rule from Kris.

No way that poo poo's worth $100/year for a membership though. I tried their free week thing and cancelled after 2 days.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Someone has compared the new book to the old one. There are 6 new pages of rules content. 6.

You guys know me, so think of how bad it really is when I call this bullshit.

This is bullshit.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

Where can I find this comparison?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

parabolic posted:

Am I a bad person if I just like tanks and want to run a whole lot of them? Are there even any other games people actually play with ~28mm scifi tanks?

There's an entire army list (Imperial Guard Armored Battlegroup from the Imperial Armor series of add-on books) that is nothing but tanks for HQs, tanks for troops, and tanks for Elites, because infantry is for sissies. I've played it myself, it's pretty great.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How did they come up with that? The new terrain rules take up 6 pages by themselves.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

jng2058 posted:

The new Psychic phase seems, from early reports, to slow down Psychic power use.

Do you mean reduces the number of times it is used, or temporally? Because the last thing 40k needs is to take more time.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I have the book now if you have any specific questions.

Also I did this because I hate myself and everyone around me, but I especially hate money: :vomarine:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

ghetto wormhole posted:

Also I did this because I hate myself and everyone around me, but I especially hate money: :vomarine:

You are my new hero.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Great job, now Lowtax is gonna get a C&D from Games Workshop... And probably Romeo, for good measure.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

Are there any changes to jetpack troops and cover?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
There are 4 pages on super heavy vehicles alone so that 6 pages thing is definitely bullshit. I guess maybe you wouldn't call that all new rules but still it's new to the BRB.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Do you mean reduces the number of times it is used, or temporally? Because the last thing 40k needs is to take more time.
It takes a little more time - you have to generate the dice, decide which powers to use, how many dice to throw, then roll them, while your opponent has to weigh throwing their own Deny the Witch dice. How much it slows things down depends on how many Psykers you each have, but I don't feel it will add more than a few minutes on. I mean, you already had to deal with "Target, Manifest, Deny" and this just expands on it some.

It also slows down how many powers are used, and how often. If I have 12 dice - 9 ML, and 3 on the roll - and 9 powers, I can't promise that they all go off, and have to either try throwing one die for Smite or using that die to force through Iron Arm with 2 or 3 dice. No more "have power, use that poo poo regardless."

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ghetto wormhole posted:

There are 4 pages on super heavy vehicles alone so that 6 pages thing is definitely bullshit. I guess maybe you wouldn't call that all new rules but still it's new to the BRB.

That stuff was in the escalation so I dont think he's considering that new rules. From reading what hes written, its literally the psychic phase and all the additional stuff in the USR's that wasnt in the previous versions. A lot of it is almost a direct C&P from the last book/supplements.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ijyt posted:

Are there any changes to jetpack troops and cover?

Both look to be the same.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ghetto wormhole posted:

Oh, that's cool. I thought super heavy rules should have been in the main book back in 5E.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Both, really. Throwing in a "I roll, you roll to counter, then the power goes off, then I decide which power to try next" will slow the game down time wise. Not too much once you get used to it, but expect your first couple of games in Seventh to take measurably longer than a comparable Sixth game.

But the Pschic phase will also reduce the number of powers that actually get used. The way the dice mechanics work encourages you to over-spend to increase your chances of the power getting used. Check out that chart in the "What's new for 7th edition" OP. You need at least two dice and preferably three to have a reasonable chance of getting even a Warp Charge 1 power off. Warp Charge 2 and 3 are even more expensive if you want to tilt the odds in your favor. That's fine, but it leaves you with fewer dice to use any other powers later in the phase. So even if you can reliably get one good power off a turn, that means that all the rest of your Psykers are left with dregs for dice and thus, there will be fewer powers activated in any given game.

Barring, of course, stupid Unbound poo poo like 30 Psyker armies and the like. Which is another reason I'm down on Unbound, but that's neither here nor there.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ghetto wormhole posted:

:downs::hf::downs: I'm the idiot who paid for :orks101:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I could be reading this wrong but it looks like you can bring as many detachments as you want and each detachment can be a different faction. You choose one to be your primary. So you can for instance have a Space Marine detachment with 1 HQ, 2 Troops, and 3 Heavy support, and also an IG/AM one with the same FOC, and also a Tyranid one with the same FOC all in the same army(points allowing). They just have to obey the allies rules. So the allied detachment from 6th is only necessary if you only want to bring 1 troop selection instead of 2 for your secondary detachments.

Also it says that there will be more detachments in upcoming codexes and GW publications but the book only lists the regular and allied detachments we're already familiar with.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Shoulda just played space marines from the start and I never would have had any problems.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

serious gaylord posted:

It was only a matter of time before GW picked up on what the textbook industry has been up to for a while.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can Codex: GK inquisitors cast Sanctic without perilsing on doubles? Can non-codex GK inquisitors?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Pyrolocutus posted:

It was only a matter of time before GW picked up on what the textbook industry has been up to for a while.

Playgroup preferences in Texas are going to be used to decide what the rulebooks contain for everyone else?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If you're going to mess with multiple detachments and min-maxing troop choices, why aren't you just going Unbound? The Objective Secured benefit (and it's not much benefit if you aren't making those Troops central to your army) is really all you get for juggling the FOC requirements. People are still going to bitch that you're cherry picking the best stuff from multiple codexes. People bitched that 2000 point lists were allowed to double the FOC, you think they aren't going to bitch if you use three FOCs at 1500 points?

Feel the freedom, fight the power!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

Both look to be the same.

Thanks mate.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh it's new edition time already? I guess I better start looking at the silly things I can do.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Drythe posted:

Oh it's new edition time already? I guess I better start looking at the silly things I can do.

Like continue to play this terrible hobby with the rest of us?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Hollismason posted:

The new FOC while it can be abused can be used to make some super kick rear end armies that are just fun and really "fluffy". 2 Tank Commanders w/ Leman Russes and some Guards in Chimeras then Scout Sentinels Hellhounds Vendettas , and some ordnance is pretty awesome sounding army.

Man I wish I could get my hands on some Russes cheap just to be able to do that. :arghfist::(
Or just some neat Infantry/Tank combo FOCs.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Tadhg posted:

Playgroup preferences in Texas are going to be used to decide what the rulebooks contain for everyone else?

Exactly.

In 8e, the Horus Heresy will be known as The War of Imperial Aggression, for starters.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I'd buy Houston in particular as a Nurgle plagueworld and Texas as the Eye of Terror.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Horus will be renamed Morris.

gently caress, sorry. I got too used to the 7e thread and I'm poo poo posting again. Last time I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I'd buy Houston in particular as a Nurgle plagueworld and Texas as the Eye of Terror.

Nah, Houston roads are conduits of pure rage. The humidity is just a bonus. Blood for the Blood God. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread