Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

There is no limit to the number of units you can place in reserve, though if you have no models on the table you will still lose at the end of a game turn. Units from reserve can manifest psychic powers as they please.

Deathwing just got a boost! :unsmith:

It'll be the only one they get this entire edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

DJ Dizzy posted:

Now that psykers have been changed, the gently caress are they doing to the runic weapon of space wolves?

I'm curious as to how space wolves as a whole will be when they eventually get updated.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Icon Of Sin posted:

Deathwing just got a boost! :unsmith:

It'll be the only one they get this entire edition

Give everything a drop pod, deploy nothing, go second. Other player is now down a turn of shooting.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

adamantium|wang posted:

Not quite.

Pretty big change though.

Also, minimum range on barrage weapons is back! I hope you like exposing your 12/10/10 open topped Basilisk every time you want to shoot at something closer than 36" away. It's a good thing we have so many other artillery pieces in the Guard book we can use inste-

Oh.

Ohhhhh.

God forbid Imperial Guard get a single strike against them in an edition change. :mad:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apoc supplements that go over specific battles by forces. Supplements that define a specific army at a specific time. Unbound armies.

The future just got historical.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So Germ just pointed out to me that the Aegis line is gone from this book, which means that if you want one you have to get it from the Stronghold book which is…eh... not exactly the best-written collection of clean rules in the universe.

For example, there's now technically no limit to the number of quad guns you can buy for one.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
If my opponent makes me go first, can I roll a d6 to Reject the Initiative?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

this troper posted:

God forbid Imperial Guard get a single strike against them in an edition change. :mad:

I'm just still salty that I finally got my hands on an original Griffin weeks before they dropped it from the book :(

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

If my opponent makes me go first, can I roll a d6 to Reject the Initiative?

On a 6 you take a nap.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Infiltrators and Scouts can never charge on their first turn, even if you went second.

Vale Khorne dogs.

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn

3++ posted:

Supersonic doesn't prevent you from entering Hover mode.

This is a nice buff to Nightscythes.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
My only 40k buddy at the moment is thinking of getting the 7th edition rule book. We're still sort of learning 6th edition, does anyone think switching to 7th would mess us up too much? (Neither of us have messed with Psychic powers yet.)

Fix posted:

On a 6 you take a nap.

I'll keep an eye out for a GW-compatible bed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

That whole can cast Psychic Powers when coming in from reserve really makes me wonder if Conjured units can use their Psychic Powers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fix posted:

So Germ just pointed out to me that the Aegis line is gone from this book, which means that if you want one you have to get it from the Stronghold book which is…eh... not exactly the best-written collection of clean rules in the universe.

For example, there's now technically no limit to the number of quad guns you can buy for one.

Unless I miss something, you can only take one battlement & battlefield upgrade per fortification (see page 18), so no you can't take unlimited quad guns. Stronghold Assault works really well IMO.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 24, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

LordAba posted:

Unless I miss something, you can only take one battlement & battlefield per fortification, so no you can't take unlimited quad guns. Stronghold Assault works really well IMO.

I'm losing my freakin mind over here, I swear to god. I saw the limits on Buildings but couldn't find it for not-buildings and it's right there. Ugh.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So before I buy stuff, can anyone get a rough idea of which armies got nerfed the most?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm trying and failing to see a way by which you can attempt to Deny conjurations.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

adamantium|wang posted:

I'm trying and failing to see a way by which you can attempt to Deny conjurations.

You can try to deny ANY power, it's just when it happens against your units that you get potential bonuses. So, basically just roll and hope for sixes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'll have new photos after this weekend, but in the meantime here are some of the models I've already shown off:

White Panthers

Night Lords

Iron Warriors

Black Legion

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Rulebook Heavily posted:

You can try to deny ANY power, it's just when it happens against your units that you get potential bonuses. So, basically just roll and hope for sixes.

I can't believe they imported the WFB magic phase, but made it really erratic and dumb.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Your night lords are amazing. As a tribute, here's the only one I've painted to date. The picture is one I had lying around from before I bothered to properly set up my model pics, sorry. My DV librarian is in there as a bonus. I painted both of these about a year and a half ago now.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

If a template weapon hits a building's Fire Point or an Open-Topped vehicle and there is a unit embarked inside that building or vehicle, then in addition to any other effects that unit suffers D6 hits, resolved at the Strength and AP of the weapon. These hits are Randomly Allocated.

:supaburn:

Rulebook Heavily posted:

But to make a test you need to "select one of your units that was a target of the enemy's psychic power." If your units are not being targeted by the power you can't make the roll. Only way I can see Denying a Conjuration is to have a Psychic Hood within 12" of the summoned unit and argue that as the summoned unit is the target of the power you can then stand in their stead and try to Deny it, like you would if you were within 12" of an enemy unit receiving a Blessing.

e: Even then it's not clear. "is targeted by an enemy psychic power" An enemy of who? The psyker wearing the hood or the unit being targeted?

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 24, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

adamantium|wang posted:

:supaburn:

But to make a test you need to "select one of your units that was a target of the enemy's psychic power." If your units are not being targeted by the power you can't make the roll. Only way I can see Denying a Conjuration is to have a Psychic Hood within 12" of the summoned unit and argue that as the summoned unit is the target of the power you can then stand in their stead and try to Deny it, like you would if you were within 12" of an enemy unit receiving a Blessing.

e: Even then it's not clear. "is targeted by an enemy psychic power" An enemy of who? The psyker wearing the hood or the unit being targeted?

Nah, look closer down the same page. It's a little obscure but "If none of your units were the target of the enemy's psychic power... you can still attempt to deny the witch." The only difference is that you can't apply modifiers to the dice rolls. (And you can attempt to deny anything, from blessings to conjurations.)

I'm not really sure why they list that as an exception to the weirdly specific general rule of "you have to choose a unit to deny" but there it is.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

Correctly anatomically modeled, brother?

We got all the way to page 4 before a penis sheath reference, I think we're doing pretty well this time around.

Can Daemons ICs join battle-brother squads and visa versa in 7th?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The word of the day is "summonstar" according to dakka. Dude's army is all Herald of Tzeentch and pink horror spam with three soulgrinders:

quote:

Total Cost = 1995

Total Power Dice = 39 + D6

Total Summon Daemon Spells = 15
Total Number of Times Heralds get to roll on chart = 27
Total Number of Times Pink Horrors Roll on Chart = 6

Number of Times you can cast a Level 3 Spell with 6 dice = 6 Times

Cursed Earth gives the Soulgrinders 4+ save, Tzeentch let's the reroll 1s.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Nah, look closer down the same page. It's a little obscure but "If none of your units were the target of the enemy's psychic power... you can still attempt to deny the witch." The only difference is that you can't apply modifiers to the dice rolls. (And you can attempt to deny anything, from blessings to conjurations.)

I'm not really sure why they list that as an exception to the weirdly specific general rule of "you have to choose a unit to deny" but there it is.

Oh wow, so there is. Thanks for that. Yeah, why specify you need to have a unit affected then go on to remove that requirement? It would have made more sense to say "You can always attempt to Deny the Witch, however if the target of the psychic power is a friendly unit you make claim the following bonuses to your roll:" etc.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kaysette posted:

The word of the day is "summonstar" according to dakka. Dude's army is all Herald of Tzeentch and pink horror spam with three soulgrinders:

Yeah that's my post. I play a lot of games on Vassal at work. I changed it though to having 4 Soul Grndrs once I figured out how to properly do FOCs. I was fun and fluffy but there's no real world way to play it without A. Designing or substituting your own daemons B. Spending more than 1000 dollars on the army to have access to all the Daemons. It's functionally limited by how much money you have. Basically each summoning spell you cast is like 60 dollars.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 24, 2014

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
By the time the tournaments are done comping the game, they might as well write their own rules

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that's my post. I play a lot of games on Vassal at work. I changed it though to having 4 Soul Grndrs once I figured out how to properly do FOCs. I was fun and fluffy but there's no real world way to play it without A. Designing or substituting your own daemons B. Spending more than 1000 dollars on the army to have access to all the Daemons. It's functionally limited by how much money you have.
12 Bloodcrushers

Haha holy poo poo, I totally didn't look at the user name. I love seeing how far the rules will bend. Keep it up!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SPeaking of which more people here need to play Vassal. Of course you have to kind of "break" vassal 6th to play 40k 7th.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 24, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Kaysette posted:

quote:

Total Cost = 1995

Total Power Dice = 39 + D6

Total Summon Daemon Spells = 15
Total Number of Times Heralds get to roll on chart = 27
Total Number of Times Pink Horrors Roll on Chart = 6

Number of Times you can cast a Level 3 Spell with 6 dice = 6 Times

Cursed Earth gives the Soulgrinders 4+ save, Tzeentch let's the reroll 1s.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that's my post. I play a lot of games on Vassal at work. I changed it though to having 4 Soul Grndrs once I figured out how to properly do FOCs. I was fun and fluffy but there's no real world way to play it without A. Designing or substituting your own daemons B. Spending more than 1000 dollars on the army to have access to all the Daemons. It's functionally limited by how much money you have. Basically each summoning spell you cast is like 60 dollars.

GG GW, next map

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah one game I summoned cast Incursion 5 times, and Possession 4 times, then the Sacrifice 4 times. That would have by itself cost like probably greater than $500 dollars. Vassals hard to do it on though, you have to basically "break" it kind of. It's fun though, but it's never getting a 7th edition update which is sad :(.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I modelled him, but I didn't have time to paint him until this afternoon. So, rather than in the last thread, you guys get him here:

:vomarine:

e: edited for better pic

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 24, 2014

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
So, what's the verdict? Did assault get better? And if so, how so?

I'm going to get my books tomorrow :)

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I have come to the conclusion that there aren't enough bugs in this thread. I'll help out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tadhg posted:

I modelled him, but I didn't have time to paint him until this afternoon. So, rather than in the last thread, you guys get him here:

:vomarine:

:allears:

TheChirurgeon posted:

White Panthers

I love your armies, but these guys are so 3rd edition in the best way. Also jealous you have this sick model.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Jesus Christ, I need a good camera.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tadhg posted:

Jesus Christ, I need a good camera.
I have a crappy digital camera from about 2004. 4 megapixels, no more. It's all about good lighting. If you just adjust the levels of that last picture in Photoshop or Gimp or Picasa or whatever you'd be golden.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Arson Fire posted:

I have come to the conclusion that there aren't enough bugs in this thread. I'll help out.

That's loving amazing. I love the old color scheme, so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

SRM posted:

I have a crappy digital camera from about 2004. 4 megapixels, no more. It's all about good lighting. If you just adjust the levels of that last picture in Photoshop or Gimp or Picasa or whatever you'd be golden.

I took a shot at it. Better?

• Locked thread