Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Pander posted:

Someone get me deathproof so I can ignore the idiot brigade.

Please don't do this, noble sponsors. Pander is unpleasant enough with the threat of death ever looming. Without that he will become the most wretched, unbearable thing that ever crawled the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Lumpen's case on pander is bad. There's nothing implausible about his trajectory of thought as outlined and teasing yuming is fun. :sun:

Crazyeyes posted:

Please don't do this, noble sponsors. Pander is unpleasant enough with the threat of death ever looming. Without that he will become the most wretched, unbearable thing that ever crawled the earth.

Has pander really become this much of a dick since we last played? This feels undeserved.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Finally home on a real computer. I've played two games with Lumpen previously and I still can't ever read him, because well he's Lumpen. I'm used to Merk and Pander being aggressive so I'll just sit back and see where my gut leans after everyone else basically checks in and progress starts being made.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

John Cena posted:

Finally home on a real computer. I've played two games with Lumpen previously and I still can't ever read him, because well he's Lumpen. I'm used to Merk and Pander being aggressive so I'll just sit back and see where my gut leans after everyone else basically checks in and progress starts being made.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Lumpen's case on pander is bad. There's nothing implausible about his trajectory of thought as outlined and teasing yuming is fun. :sun:

Cool, so who do you think is scum from that whole exchange?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I haven't seen anything definitive. Lumpen's lumpen and is going to be attached to poo poo that no one else sees alignment regardless. Do you like lumpen's case that much?

Rereading with a little more scrutiny, gut tells me that pander as scum would manage to play his reaction a little cooler, unless his new meta is, as crazyeyes implies, that level of hostile generally. I remember him as wordy and aggressive when he's got something, but something like "idiot brigade" seems like it'd come out more as unstifled reaction to a bad case than a managed scum reaction to someone getting close.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I don't think Lumpen's case is the next Duties of American Citizenship, but I do think it has merit.

I also think Pander's response is perfectly in line with something he could get away with as scum when Lumpen is the case maker. Attack Lumpen's credibility because that's easy to do and usually accepted by other players - Lumpen's style lets that happen.

If it were me making that case and Pander is scum, I'd agree with your assessment. Hand waving away something I'd write would be met with more scrutiny. Lumpen, though, makes it a little different of an analysis.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The long and short of my post is this: ##vote KFC

You took the side of Pander in an exchange without advancing scum-hunting discussion. Why would you do that? What's the point in saying that you disagree with Lumpen's case without telling us, at some point in the analysis, who is scum because of it?

Answer: To look Town.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Not that I am complaining, but I don't remember the last time you played such an aggressive early game as town Merk.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JakeP posted:

Not that I am complaining, but I don't remember the last time you played such an aggressive early game as town Merk.

A Confederacy of Dunces springs to mind.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
This reminds me of the game you played in Wins latest CYOR

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

John Cena posted:

Was he town there?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JakeP posted:

Was he town there?

I think he was, even though I was scum, I made it a point to try to not learn who my partners were til late in the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you're going to say I'm scum based on some lovely meta point, give Opo a PM. He's selling BINGO cards of the poo poo.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

John Cena posted:

I don't think I even played in that game.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

If you're going to say I'm scum based on some lovely meta point, give Opo a PM. He's selling BINGO cards of the poo poo.

lol

Not saying you are scummy. Just doing my due diligence to the thread. Have a thought, share it, the golden rule

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

You didn't I just checked VF

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

John Cena posted:

I think he was, even though I was scum, I made it a point to try to not learn who my partners were til late in the game.

Actually I went back and looked, he wasn't even in that game. I must have mistaken him for Pander or something.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Cena I remember the game you were scum with Merk, and I remember as town I switched a lynch off of you onto another one of your scum buddies, and then lynched Merk the next day, and you made it to the end and scum won if I remember right

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

John Cena, we played together as scum in This Mafia Game Ends With You! We won.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

Cena I remember the game you were scum with Merk, and I remember as town I switched a lynch off of you onto another one of your scum buddies, and then lynched Merk the next day, and you made it to the end and scum won if I remember right

CCKeane won in three-man lylo. I claimed Survivor while at a bachelor party as a last-ditch effort to stay alive, barely able to post since the bachelor party was in a remote forest.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I also day vigged Ernie who was Tracker/Lover with someone else, a two for one shot. What a game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

merk posted:

I also day vigged Ernie who was Tracker/Lover with someone else, a two for one shot. What a game.

that game was fabulous. so was dunces. i'd play mafia more if it didn't weigh on me so heavily.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

John Cena posted:

that game was fabulous. so was dunces. i'd play mafia more if it didn't weigh on me so heavily.

Was that the one where we were in a masonry and you claimed survivor to me? Because you were masterful in that game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

merk posted:

I don't think Lumpen's case is the next Duties of American Citizenship, but I do think it has merit.

I also think Pander's response is perfectly in line with something he could get away with as scum when Lumpen is the case maker. Attack Lumpen's credibility because that's easy to do and usually accepted by other players - Lumpen's style lets that happen.

If it were me making that case and Pander is scum, I'd agree with your assessment. Hand waving away something I'd write would be met with more scrutiny. Lumpen, though, makes it a little different of an analysis.

Wow merk, that's some great meta! It almost encapsulates the reality where I haven't enjoyed playing with Lumpen for the past year because he's gotten really weird and generally don't 'play' mafia so much as tries to be the Ted Rall of mafia.

Lumpen posted:

Note for mafia peasants
Are you from rich district one and dropping in a subtle bit of smug PR to point to later?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

John Cena posted:

"I'm here to play, and apparently my playing involves null reads on everyone talking."

Pretty impressive start!

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

The long and short of my post is this: ##vote KFC

You took the side of Pander in an exchange without advancing scum-hunting discussion. Why would you do that? What's the point in saying that you disagree with Lumpen's case without telling us, at some point in the analysis, who is scum because of it?

Answer: To look Town.

You're misrepresenting me pretty hard here. I specifically said "Lumpen's lumpen and is going to be attached to poo poo that no one else sees alignment regardless." -- a null tell. I expanded on why pander's responses struck me as town, furthering my take that Lumpen's case is bad. That's not siding with anyone, that's my read on the situation

You asked who I thought was scum based on that interaction. My answer was "I haven't seen anything definitive." Casting that as a scummy interpretation of this interaction is ridiculous.

Why is thinking one of them as scum the only town interpretation of events to you? I can see lumpen-pander as a town-town interaction as likely as anything else.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

John Cena posted:

I swear to god I played in that game and I have no idea what happened in it. I'm guessing it went to poo poo.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Pander posted:

Wow merk, that's some great meta! It almost encapsulates the reality where I haven't enjoyed playing with Lumpen for the past year because he's gotten really weird and generally don't 'play' mafia so much as tries to be the Ted Rall of mafia.
This is another inauthentic, disingenuous post from Pander. It is posturing. Pander does not really think this, he only thinks it is plausible to say and useful for maneuvering in the context of his opponents. This is Pander as Scum. I know it well, and I am sorry to see it.

Yuming, weigh in?

:lumpen: Corssing my fingers and hoping to gloat that I nailed the Scumteam right here before the game officially started. I have a good feeling about this one:

Lumpen posted:

Pander, KFC, Propaganda Machine

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

You're misrepresenting me pretty hard here. I specifically said "Lumpen's lumpen and is going to be attached to poo poo that no one else sees alignment regardless." -- a null tell. I expanded on why pander's responses struck me as town, furthering my take that Lumpen's case is bad. That's not siding with anyone, that's my read on the situation

You asked who I thought was scum based on that interaction. My answer was "I haven't seen anything definitive." Casting that as a scummy interpretation of this interaction is ridiculous.

Why is thinking one of them as scum the only town interpretation of events to you? I can see lumpen-pander as a town-town interaction as likely as anything else.

Who you think is Town is irrelevant. Who do you think is scum?

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Pander posted:

Are you from rich district one and dropping in a subtle bit of smug PR to point to later?

A good thought but that would basically be a scum claim, since the scum are all careers and careers are all from rich districts.

Though this does give you a bit of a town edge to me because I figure you would have known that if you were scum. You could be playing us though so just a smidgen of much town-cred for you.

Cena are you seriously planning on "sitting back"? At least post pictures of your latest shits or somethin....

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Philip J. Fry posted:

A good thought but that would basically be a scum claim, since the scum are all careers and careers are all from rich districts.

Though this does give you a bit of a town edge to me because I figure you would have known that if you were scum. You could be playing us though so just a smidgen of much town-cred for you.

Cena are you seriously planning on "sitting back"? At least post pictures of your latest shits or somethin....

I'm currently running a challenge in Awful Survivor, once it's done, I'll read everyone.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

Who you think is Town is irrelevant. Who do you think is scum?

Commenting on active discussions is still useful but since you ask so nicely,

Fry and JakeP have scum marks for their extremely easy targeting on you as a joke vote, Fry especially also been kind of sitting back and making pointless conversation, setup spec, easy comments.

Your aggression towards me/misrepresenting my stance has me looking at you kinda funny, too.

Will say that fact that you're agreeing with lumpen is making me waffle a little bit about pander, and I'll be vote him if he doesn't turn useful before the end of the day.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Your aggression towards me/misrepresenting my stance has me looking at you kinda funny, too.

Will say that fact that you're agreeing with lumpen is making me waffle a little bit about pander, and I'll be vote him if he doesn't turn useful before the end of the day.

Are you saying that you find Merk scummy, but Merk agreeing with Lumpen that Pander is scummy means that you are also leaning scum on Pander? How does that work?

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Commenting on active discussions is still useful but since you ask so nicely,

Fry and JakeP have scum marks for their extremely easy targeting on you as a joke vote, Fry especially also been kind of sitting back and making pointless conversation, setup spec, easy comments.

"Everyone who's currently posting is scummy besides me. And Cena, for some fuckin reason"

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

JakeP posted:

Are you saying that you find Merk scummy, but Merk agreeing with Lumpen that Pander is scummy means that you are also leaning scum on Pander? How does that work?

To elaborate a little, if I am reading a person as scummy, and I see they agree with someone elses case that I do not agree with, I am not going to then reevaulate that case and think hey maybe its right then, I will think the scum is posturing to jump on a vote bandwagon

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

KFC you're not making much sense. You're folding under merk's pressure but I really don't understand why you're trying so hard to fight off his generally baseless accusations, when you could have just as easily said, "gently caress off you have nothing on me you oval office diver"

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
One other thing KFC. I have made many post since my joke vote on Merk, which is the only thing you are using in your scum read on me. You are lazily riding your early game comment, and show no signs of any actual thought progression, you are faking it.

##vote kfc

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
and the 8 alliance is over, Yuming can I be a 9 with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

JakeP posted:

One other thing KFC. I have made many post since my joke vote on Merk, which is the only thing you are using in your scum read on me. You are lazily riding your early game comment, and show no signs of any actual thought progression, you are faking it.

##vote kfc

You've made posts. None of them have moved me especially. Fry is worse than you.

Philip J. Fry posted:

"Everyone who's currently posting is scummy besides me. And Cena, for some fuckin reason"

Where are you getting this? At no point do I mention Cena.

Philip J. Fry posted:

KFC you're not making much sense. You're folding under merk's pressure but I really don't understand why you're trying so hard to fight off his generally baseless accusations, when you could have just as easily said, "gently caress off you have nothing on me you oval office diver"

I already told him that, in nicer words when I told him that casting my stance as scummy was ridiculous. I think it's extremely coincidental that you develop this opinion right after I call you out. You want more specifics?

Philip J. Fry posted:

As long as well all agree that merk is way too smart too get tripped up as scum over making mafia small talk I'm totally cool with watchin y'all slap each other around.

If you actually think you're on to something please tell me so I can ignore your next 3 (at least) scumccusations.
Padding, why should we dismiss merk out of hand here? Vaguely buddying, and a promise to keep ignoring people.

Philip J. Fry posted:

Maybe a survivor with a 9-3 setup or two scum pairs but I think the standard 10-3 is by far the most likely.
Not possible, read the OP.

Philip J. Fry posted:

Weird flavor poo poo, Lumpen just calls people he thinks won't be able to follow his logic peasants cause he's :lumpen:, followed by an extremely easy callout on Cena.

##vote PJF

JakeP posted:

I'm considering both as possible. I agree that both being simultaneously true is probably unlikely, but I've come around a little on pander as a possibility.

• Locked thread