Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

leica posted:

Why don't you just paint the wheels stock silver? The more stock it looks the more money you'll get for it. Those lovely hub caps will make the car look cheesy imo.

I agree, I think silver is the way to go this time.

Congrats on the new place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
It's got a VTEC head and eBay exhaust. I don't understand why you all think stock looking hubcaps are the way to go.

Just rattle can the wheels black and sell the car to a JDM yo Honda kid for $2k.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I still think he can get close to 3k for this civic, we have had a few fb chats about it. I mean, it looks good from pictures, and thats what 90% people care about.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Yeah I'd start at 3 after cleaning up the paint and wheels. Should be an easy sell. OH NO I HAD TO TAKE 2700 *wipes tears with 100 dollar bills*

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mafoose posted:

It's got a VTEC head and eBay exhaust. I don't understand why you all think stock looking hubcaps are the way to go.

Just rattle can the wheels black and sell the car to a JDM yo Honda kid for $2k.

They didn't come with hubcaps, that's the main issue. They came with silver steelies and a Honda logo center cap, and putting cheap rear end hubcaps on the car will make it look dumb. Painting the wheels silver or black and not covering them with lovely plastic is the way to go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I was hoping to find a cheap set of these but everyone on ebay wants $10+ per cap

So I was looking at other options. The stock wheels also have a few bends and dents that have been pounded out and they don't look that great, another factor in me wanting to cover them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hubcaps are terrible, full stop. Every car I've had with hubcaps the caps have been thrown into the trash as soon as I got home.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slow is Fast posted:

Yeah I'd start at 3 after cleaning up the paint and wheels. Should be an easy sell. OH NO I HAD TO TAKE 2700 *wipes tears with 100 dollar bills*

Honestly I'd start at 3500, given his area. Clean Civic that has been taken care of and has decent paint in a salt zone? gently caress yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Honestly I'd start at 3500, given his area. Clean Civic that has been taken care of and has decent paint in a salt zone? gently caress yes.

Probably this. Sadly my lackluster bodywork really shows through the gorgeous paint so that will hurt a bit.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Rhyno posted:

Probably this. Sadly my lackluster bodywork really shows through the gorgeous paint so that will hurt a bit.

That won't stop some people. I paid more than I should have for my 92 hatch just because it was mostly unmolested, much like yours is. Yours looks WAY better. I have put more money into this piece of poo poo than it was worth just so I could drive it but I don't totally regret it. Yours has the mini-me swap going for it to which is also a plus in my eyes since most kids won't be willing to do that work either.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Not to derail, but is the a market for 2004 Civic Si hatches? It's 'EP3' by the Honda parlance. It has just been a commuter car, never in any serious accidents or anything, everything completely stock except for sound system. I'm wondering if I should just keep this is a beater to drive too and from work, or if it's worth the hassle of trying to sell it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

driguy posted:

That won't stop some people. I paid more than I should have for my 92 hatch just because it was mostly unmolested, much like yours is. Yours looks WAY better. I have put more money into this piece of poo poo than it was worth just so I could drive it but I don't totally regret it. Yours has the mini-me swap going for it to which is also a plus in my eyes since most kids won't be willing to do that work either.

I was just told that the other Civic DX I posted at the beginning of this thread, the rattle-canned and rusty Civic, sold for $4200. I think you guys might be right about how much I can get.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CL rule of thumb, start high, you can always lower it if you don't get any bites.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just listed all the parts I took off the car on a few FB groups along with the remaining vinyl and my inbox is exploding.

Civic parts yo

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, I had pretty much made up my mind on those.They're the closest to the real Honda caps anyways.

Yup. They're very similar to the 96-00 Civic EX hubcaps (maybe 92-95 too?). #7 is similar to 94-97 Accord DX/LX hubcaps (which IMO look cheap).

Rhyno posted:

It's still doing the bouncing idle at startup but once it warms up it settles at about 800rpm and purs. The exhaust is so loud I can't even hear the VTEC. And we found a ton of Febreeze at Ollie's for $1 a bottle so I'll hit the entire interior this weekend. Really the only thing I have to sort out is the stereo. It's hacked into the harness badly and only one speaker works. I need to figure that out before I get rid of the car I think. I do have the original HU so hopefully I can get that back in there.

Might try turning down the idle screw a bit, it could be too high (the ECU will use the IACV to bring it back up if you get it too low, but if you hear a whining/whirring from the intake, you've got it too low and the IACV won't be long for this world). Or if the throttle cable is too tight, that could also cause the same issue. Assuming you've already looked for vacuum leaks anyway.

Rhyno posted:

It's not a normal neighborhood, these are condo styled apartments.

We call what's in the picture a "duplex" here. :colbert: Or townhomes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it's not quite a duplex because there's 10 units in one connected row.

According to the girlfriend they avoid the phrase townhomes these days.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I just listed all the parts I took off the car on a few FB groups along with the remaining vinyl and my inbox is exploding.

Civic parts yo

Civics are Lego's to the Honda crowd. Its like Jeep's, Lego's for adults.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, sadly everyone who has responded so far either low-balled or wants to trade.

UGH UGH UGH.

Civic parts yo

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anything worse than that guy who offered $100 for the car?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Ugh, sadly everyone who has responded so far either low-balled or wants to trade.

UGH UGH UGH.

Civic parts yo

You will have to deal with that, you have to understand every 15-20 year old within 100 miles of you is trolling for a mad tite civic

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Civics are Lego's to the Honda crowd. Its like Jeep's, Lego's for adults.

Ar'e you' do'ing's thi's on purpo'se?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Post your ad. I had an $1800 civic that I sold in two days and dealt with very little bullshit. If you sound serious up front and explicitly state no trades and cash only then that weeds out a lot of dipshits.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Post your ad. I had an $1800 civic that I sold in two days and dealt with very little bullshit. If you sound serious up front and explicitly state no trades and cash only then that weeds out a lot of dipshits.

Counterpoint: no matter how much you state no trades/no lowballs/serious buyers only, you will still get people asking if you'll trade for an AK or asking you what your lowest price is. Because Craigslist.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

HotCanadianChick posted:

Counterpoint: no matter how much you state no trades/no lowballs/serious buyers only, you will still get people asking if you'll trade for an AK or asking you what your lowest price is. Because Craigslist.

I thought you were issued an AK as part of becoming an Indiana resident. :v:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I wish someone offered me an AK, all I get is Walmart special shotguns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

As soon as I get it touched up, sanded and polished I'll get to selling it. Really getting the paint on was the pressing issue, now I can calm down a bit and take my time with selling it.

Is there a go to random orbit sander I can buy to save my arm? I have a pretty basic black &decker unit but I don't know if it'll do the job.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

As soon as I get it touched up, sanded and polished I'll get to selling it. Really getting the paint on was the pressing issue, now I can calm down a bit and take my time with selling it.

Is there a go to random orbit sander I can buy to save my arm? I have a pretty basic black &decker unit but I don't know if it'll do the job.

Harbor Freight has one that's not a total turd. Griot's Garage has a 3" random orbit polisher that is cheap, but other than that, it's hard to go wrong with a Porter Cable 7424. A random orbital probably won't be aggressive enough to do your sanding though, since the random orbital motion keeps it from building up enough heat to damage the paint, or level it in your case.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I'm sanding it by hand is what you're saying?

If I was just gonna go with HF route for the polishing and buffing, which unit would you recommend? Money is going to be a hair tight for a few weeks as we have a few moving expenses I'm covering so I don't have a ton of extra cash to throw around right this second.

Finally, some sun! It looks so so good in the light

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 22, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You did some good work!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The downside is I can see a few more runs and two more spots where I overtaped. Ugh!

But we got the garage totally prepped for the move and with how well we TETRISed our packing I can fit the car back in there, do my touch-ups and get started sanding tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hnnnngggghhhh.

A good friend's cancer-stricken mother just had her car totaled and our mutual friends are trying to guilt me into GIVING the Civic to her. What the gently caress.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I hear old japanese subcompact cars are pretty unsafe for a friend's mother to be driving

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Rhyno posted:

Hnnnngggghhhh.

A good friend's cancer-stricken mother just had her car totaled and our mutual friends are trying to guilt me into GIVING the Civic to her. What the gently caress.

Don't worry, surely her car insurance will pay out :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobbilljim posted:

Don't worry, surely her car insurance will pay out :smith:

Next to nothing which is why people are being all "Hey! Rhyno has an extra car!"

And since I firmly said no now I'm an rear end in a top hat. Actually I'm an rear end in a top hat twice because someone tagged me in a gofundme for a fact gently caress who had a massive heart attack and I didn't even know this guy and I asked very nicely to not be tagged in such posts.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Have we mentioned yet that you need new friends? :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Real friends don't expect anything from you. Tell them to gently caress off, what a bunch of entitled assholes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, it would be a really nice gesture... if you thought of it yourself and did it of your own free will.

Putting that expectation on you out of the blue is hosed up and just sets you up to look like an rear end in a top hat if you refuse. gently caress 'em for doing it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's prety lovely. Yeah it sucks getting in a a car wreck, but gently caress people wanting to guilt you into doing/giving poo poo away.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
lol I may not have many friends but at least mine aren't completely worthless assholes. You desperately need to find a way out of Indiana.

The Civic looks great, any plans to paint the grilles on the bumper in black? I think it would give the car a more finished look, but that's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

lol I may not have many friends but at least mine aren't completely worthless assholes. You desperately need to find a way out of Indiana.

The Civic looks great, any plans to paint the grilles on the bumper in black? I think it would give the car a more finished look, but that's me.

Yeah, these are people I should have dumped on Facebook long ago.

As for the grills, I was going to but I kind of like how the all white looks. But I may as yet tape it off and just spray it black.

I bought some packs of 1500 grit, got a nice clean bucket for water, found my sanding block, I think I'm ready to go on the sanding.

• Locked thread