Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

GOD drat.

Lotta shiny for no money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm about to head to the garage and install it, can't wait to hear this loving thing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This is the only time ever that I actually want to hear a lovely fart-can exhaust. :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Get a short-ram intake too, for that induction noise. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

Get a short-ram intake too, for that induction noise. :allears:

I intend to. Gotta find the shittiest one I can.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
If you havent seen it yet, for added inspiration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inPcN55Osmo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Preoptopus posted:

If you havent seen it yet, for added inspiration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inPcN55Osmo

I will watch that tonight!

And we're off!

She's off the ground

Here's what's left of the stock exhaust.

The muffler had completely disintegrated. All that was left was the rear panel and exhaust pipe. I had to grind through two bolts with my dying angle grinder, then clean the remains off the downpipe (it's still called a downpipe even if there's no turbo right?). One of the bolts was missing from the lower flange of the exhaust manifold so I PB Blastered the others so I could take clean it all up. Turns out I had a bent stud so I'll need to get all new studs and bolts for there. Once I have those I should be good to install the new exhaust. Probably going to be Wednesday.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Is there a Honda forum that doesn't suck where I can read up on build options?

Back from page 1, but did you ever find this? This stuff really interests me but gently caress wading through other car forums for a car I don't own.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Network42 posted:

Back from page 1, but did you ever find this? This stuff really interests me but gently caress wading through other car forums for a car I don't own.

Ha, noooooooooo. Absolutely not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Honda-Tech seems to have some very smart people on it, you just have to wade through a veritable galaxy of poo poo to get to them.

For example anything CaliforniaDad posts seems pretty solid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a thread, I forget if it was there or not, where this guy asked which of three pistons he should be running in his build and every single answer was an insult. Most of the current Honda tuners are a bunch of twats. I'm basing my build off a ten year old write up guys seem to only care about being dicks to everyone new to Civics.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Has anyone mentioned altezzas yet

If not, altezzas.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Z3 fenders

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wild EEPROM posted:

Has anyone mentioned altezzas yet

If not, altezzas.

Uh, duh?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Advance and Autozone are useless and my Google searches have been fruitless. I need these

The studs and bolts. One of the three was missing and another was bent. What the hell are these called? Lower exhaust manifold studs? The only ones Advance had were GM/Toyota. Autozone had fuckall.

poo poo, is it these?
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1168725,parttype,13936

It is. gently caress. Could've bought them from Amazon on Monday and they'd be here in time to install the exhaust. drat IT.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I thought you bought a lovely ebay full exhaust, not just a a cat back. Just get a cheap 4-2-1 header for MOAR POWAH! It's probably only slightly more than the studs, and way easier to replace.

E: boom http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-2-1-STAIN...its=Year%3A1994|Make%3AHonda|Model%3ACivic|Submodel%3ADX&hash=item2a15bb0c3f&vxp=mtr

under 50bux shipped, and like 4000 sold

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 4, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought the catback because I plan to eventually turbo this and I'll need a cast manifold for that.

Edit: O'reilly's site has them listed as in stock at the nearby store. I'll grab some tomorrow.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 4, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
then make it into a low mount twin scroll at the flange when you are ready for turbo.

But really turbo fwd is pretty pointless when you have a miata and ms6 that should get the real go fast parts. Besides hat full bolt on civic should get like 40mpg on regular and live forever if you don't blow up it with boost.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

then make it into a low mount twin scroll at the flange when you are ready for turbo.

But really turbo fwd is pretty pointless when you have a miata and ms6 that should get the real go fast parts. Besides hat full bolt on civic should get like 40mpg on regular and live forever if you don't blow up it with boost.

This is an experiment in fun and how stupid I can make it for cheap. I'm still putting go fast poo poo on the ms6.

Edit: and I'm not planning on modding the Miata any time soon as the bank still owns it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 4, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I think we swapped bodies, I just bought my 7th car and you are ricing a civic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

I think we swapped bodies, I just bought my 7th car and you are ricing a civic.

I did see an enormous wing for like $75...

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Rhyno posted:

I did see an enormous wing for like $75...

big wing you say? You better bring it son...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was referencing the truckwing actually. The 6 isn't getting any big wing. Exhaust is back in stock in 12 days, really need to nail down if I want to put coils on it or not (UF does BC direct now so maybe). Of course if I do that I'll want to get the new wheels as well. And it still needs paint correction so I can wrap it.
I have the fuel pump, I'm just gonna need the AccessPort and I should be good until I decide to go big turbo.

This is going to be so much easier come January when I don't have to pay rent anymore.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Dude.

Hardware store. Or better yet, a fastener store like Fastenal or your local equivalent.

Take the bent one with you so they can match it up.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
here is a good shot, all you need is a carport support and a cafeteria line. lol that was awsome

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mafoose posted:

Dude.

Hardware store. Or better yet, a fastener store like Fastenal or your local equivalent.

Take the bent one with you so they can match it up.

I took the bent one to Advance and AZ. It was post 9pm so typical hardware stores were closed. Advance stocks it online, just not in the store, O'Reilly's website says it's carried in most locations.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Holdbrooks posted:

here is a good shot, all you need is a carport support and a cafeteria line. lol that was awsome

Thats the greatest thing I've ever seen

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I took the bent one to Advance and AZ. It was post 9pm so typical hardware stores were closed. Advance stocks it online, just not in the store, O'Reilly's website says it's carried in most locations.

NAPA usually has "exhaust rebuild kits" that consist of spring bolts, gaskets, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

NAPA usually has "exhaust rebuild kits" that consist of spring bolts, gaskets, etc.

The new exhaust came with everything I needed to install the new parts, this was an unexpected hiccup. I already called O'Reilly, will be picking the studs up after work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got my intake manifold and the exhaust studs!

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Dawwww it's so cute, the fuel rail is bigger than the plenum. :3:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

So Advance and Autozone are useless and my Google searches have been fruitless. I need these

The studs and bolts. One of the three was missing and another was bent. What the hell are these called? Lower exhaust manifold studs? The only ones Advance had were GM/Toyota. Autozone had fuckall.

poo poo, is it these?
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1168725,parttype,13936

It is. gently caress. Could've bought them from Amazon on Monday and they'd be here in time to install the exhaust. drat IT.

hahahaha, you are looking at that manifold and live in Indiana (rust belt!) and think those studs are gonna unscrew :allears:

I wish I was that much of an optimist. Sorry dude, you're gonna end up drilling those fuckers out and it probably isn't going to be pretty.

Start by heating the motherfuck out of the flange, NOT the stud, then jam candle wax into the spot where the threads meet the flange. Repeat several times. Then heat the flange as hot as you possibly can and try twisting the stud out.

It's not going to go well (I'd almost bet on it, and I'm not a betting man), but it's worth a try.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I already got one out? There's only one still stuck in and its not bent. Worst case I reuse it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Did the same job in Michigan on my former 99 (~160k miles) a year or two ago and got all the nuts off and only ruined one of them. :smug:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Surely on this car you only need one or two of the studs anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I already got one out? There's only one still stuck in and its not bent. Worst case I reuse it.

Holy poo poo, what?

Can I bring all my cars to you for exhaust work?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The exhaust studs on my Celica (head studs and down pipe) look just as rusty as those and I've taken the manifold off several times without any problems at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Surely on this car you only need one or two of the studs anyway.

There are three studs.

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo, what?

Can I bring all my cars to you for exhaust work?

I charge in blood.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My vehicles accept the same currency (as do yours, it seems), so you'd only be borrowing it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Headers back on, one lower stud was not moving. I spent about 20 minutes on it and then remembered that I will eventually replace this part so said gently caress IT and just threaded the new nut over it. All three studs are properly bolted in as of now.

The saved section, back in place and not budging! Woo!

gently caress. The holes were too small for the new bolts. A few minutes with the drill took care of that.

Got everything loosely in place for a test fit.

I realized I could flip the race pipe and main pipe over, reversing the hangers and the whole exhaust would hang flush with the frame rails. I forgot to take a picture but it's really tucked up nicely. The old hangers were still very soft with no cracks at all so I reused them. Good thing because the new exhaust didn't come with any. Once I was sure of placement I tightened it all up. I'll get a nice picture of it tomorrow and hopefully some video.

Current total: $848.

• Locked thread