Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought the fart cannon. Should be here by Thursday. Tire place was closed today so I won't be able to get that sorted until Wednesday.

I like the seeming ease of doing the head swap for V-tech. I've started looking for that head but I only have $90 left in the budget until the end of June. Might buy the cluster with the tach in the meantime and start attacking the hood dents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Edit 2: I really don't want a 4 inch muffler.

I don't think you're approaching this effectively.

It's a cheap beater civic, you have two options:

a) spend as little money as possible while driving it until the heat-death of the universe (also known as the '13-Inch-Plan')
b) go as ridiculous as possible for as cheaply as possible (also known as the 'Holdbrooks-blueballs-the-forums-plan')

Anything else is just wasting money. :colbert:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Are you required to pass emissions testing?

And for the love of god run the goddamn silencer on the muffler. They are ear splittingly annoying without it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I don't think you're approaching this effectively.

It's a cheap beater civic, you have two options:

a) spend as little money as possible while driving it until the heat-death of the universe (also known as the '13-Inch-Plan')
b) go as ridiculous as possible for as cheaply as possible (also known as the 'Holdbrooks-blueballs-the-forums-plan')

Anything else is just wasting money. :colbert:

Well it was fart cannon for $110 or "sane" exhaust for $275. Went with the fart cannon.

mafoose posted:

Are you required to pass emissions testing?

And for the love of god run the goddamn silencer on the muffler. They are ear splittingly annoying without it.

No emissions. But having a shop weld a straight pip on gets in the way of doing this myself.

Current total: $599.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This can only go terribly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

This can only go terribly.

Terribly awesome.

No update on the Civic but I did get the Miata's interior buttoned up and the oil changed so the garage is clear and ready for it's new occupant. UPS tracking says the exhaust will be here Monday, still looking for a dash cluster that doesn't look like poo poo and isn't $100.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DOOOOOOOOUBLE POOOOOOOOOOOOOST

gently caress it, I have money in my Paypal and horrible impulse control. I've read about 15 Mini-Me builds now. Here's what I need:

quote:

D16Z6 Cylinder Head (Including distributor cap, valve cover, plugs/wires, VTEC solenoid, etc)
D16Z6 or D16Y8 Head Gasket
P28 ECU
D16Z6 Timing Belt
Wire and plug for VTEC oil pressure switch

quote:

Optional:
D16Z6 Intake Manifold
D16Z6 Exhaust Manifold

So here's a head on Ebay, is this just too cheap? $175 sounds great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-93-94-95...5ef484f&vxp=mtr
The next cheapest one is $360. And like I said, this is a budget build so I'm inclined to go with the cheap one. As long as it's not warped I should be good right?

Optional parts
Here's the Intake manifold for super cheap, $45 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1995-c...1a517f7&vxp=mtr
The next cheapest is $80.

The head gasket, timing belt, distributor, plugs and whatnot are popping up very cheaply all over. What I need help with is the ECU. I really don't know what the best option is. I plan to go turbo later, should I buy a socketed ECU now?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't remember what my friend spent but I know it was well under a hundred to get his ecu shipped off and socketed as well as chipped. Seems like a no-brainer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't understand honda modding I guess. I had a D16y8 (99 civic ex) that some of you suggested swapping and it was slower than poo poo. I imagine yours is even slower but I don't really see the point of that "upgrade."

You were afraid to turbo a Miata now you're talking about engine swapping and turboing this thing? If I were you I would just leave the engine alone and let the car be a beater. Fix the main broken stuff and just put miles on it when you don't want to put them on your "nice" car(s). You already have faster cars anyway so if you need speed, get in one of them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Thoughts on driving my buddy's car that does not yet have the Mini-me but does have a brand new transmission with shorter gears:

- It's easily as fast as my modded 325i, at least up to 120
- The steering is bar none the best of any car I've ever driven. This is with poly bushings everywhere but either way, the steering is absolutely fantastic. Bear in mind I have a Mazdaspeed Miata in the garage.
- Parts cost next to nothing. He bought a totally rebuilt transmission for 600 bucks (seriously even the bolts are brand new)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

I don't understand honda modding I guess. I had a D16y8 (99 civic ex) that some of you suggested swapping and it was slower than poo poo. I imagine yours is even slower but I don't really see the point of that "upgrade."

You were afraid to turbo a Miata now you're talking about engine swapping and turboing this thing? If I were you I would just leave the engine alone and let the car be a beater. Fix the main broken stuff and just put miles on it when you don't want to put them on your "nice" car(s). You already have faster cars anyway so if you need speed, get in one of them.

The Miata's I was looking at at the time topped $8,000 and yeah, I was worried about ruining a car that pricey. This car was $350, who gives a poo poo if I ruin it? It's in the thread title!

revmoo posted:

Thoughts on driving my buddy's car that does not yet have the Mini-me but does have a brand new transmission with shorter gears:

- It's easily as fast as my modded 325i, at least up to 120
- The steering is bar none the best of any car I've ever driven. This is with poly bushings everywhere but either way, the steering is absolutely fantastic. Bear in mind I have a Mazdaspeed Miata in the garage.
- Parts cost next to nothing. He bought a totally rebuilt transmission for 600 bucks (seriously even the bolts are brand new)

Does he have power steering? The DX does not have it.

Edit: Bought the head.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 29, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rhyno posted:

Does he have power steering? The DX does not have it.

Odd, I just checked and he says he definitely has a DX (It's 100% identical to your car) and it has power steering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

revmoo posted:

Odd, I just checked and he says he definitely has a DX (It's 100% identical to your car) and it has power steering.

Might been an option on the DX, I don't know. But every other teal one in town (there's 4) is manual.

Edit: The power steering rack is only $150. Maybe down the road some.

Edit #2: I'm going to buy the Si/LX Cluster for the tach, does it matter if it came from a manual or auto car? The cheapest one is from an auto but I don't know if it would make a difference.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 29, 2014

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Go autocrossing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Might been an option on the DX, I don't know. But every other teal one in town (there's 4) is manual.

Edit: The power steering rack is only $150. Maybe down the road some.

Edit #2: I'm going to buy the Si/LX Cluster for the tach, does it matter if it came from a manual or auto car? The cheapest one is from an auto but I don't know if it would make a difference.

It probably won't other than the fact that the PRNDD3D2L built in will be superfluous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

animeliker posted:

Go autocrossing.

Only after I get my sweet roll cage installed.

animeliker posted:

It probably won't other than the fact that the PRNDD3D2L built in will be superfluous.

I didn't think it would matter but there's surprisingly little info about that on the Honda forums I've been following.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not much to update, I did get my replacement clips for the Miata so she's properly buttoned up. Super quick shipping on these, ordered Monday I think and they shipped normal First Class.

The front tires are worthless. Steel belts exposed, I scratched the poo poo out of my hand when I tried to pull the wheel off. Swapped the spare on so I could move the car into the garage.

Might be a boring night so I'll probably start tearing the doors down for the swap.

Gotta swap the door panels since the white car had a tan interior and mine has charcoal. I also spied a slight dent in the roof of the car but I'm betting I can pop that out from inside.

Edit: Oh and with two fulled aired tires (even if one was a spare) it's cake to steer. I won't even worry about a power steering conversion. AC is sort of working but most of the turbo builds I see have the AC deleted so that'll probably happen at some point. Gotta save that weight right?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 29, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Larrymer posted:

Let me tell you about the EB2.....

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I love how you are swapping the interior panels but don't give a single gently caress that the outside of the door is, you know, entirely the wrong color :v:

Beaters are awesome.

PS: check row52.com before going to picknpull yards. They list all their poo poo on there, too. All 3 of the ones near me are like 40 miles away so it's real nice to be able to check if they have anything I'm interested in before I drive out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I love how you are swapping the interior panels but don't give a single gently caress that the outside of the door is, you know, entirely the wrong color :v:

Beaters are awesome.

PS: check row52.com before going to picknpull yards. They list all their poo poo on there, too. All 3 of the ones near me are like 40 miles away so it's real nice to be able to check if they have anything I'm interested in before I drive out.

I'm gonna plasti-dip it or something! Don't judge me kastein!

I did, but pnping around here is super easy. Do to zoning there can be no yards in the city limits so they're all over in the adjacent town, New Haven. And they're all within a 5 mile area so I can hit them all very quickly.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
In true civic fashion, make sure you have at least one body panel painted on primer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wild EEPROM posted:

In true civic fashion, make sure you have at least one body panel painted on primer.

The hood is the most likely candidate currently.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

animeliker posted:

You'll just have a few empty pins on one plug, or an unused plug on the cluster (I forget which).

If you want it to look proper, just take apart the original cluster (which you're already doing to swap the speedometer over, since you want to keep the odometer accurate... right?). Swap the bezel (the one that has all of the lenses for your indicator bulbs), it'll cover the PRNDL.

The entire cluster just snaps apart aside from gauges.

The manual clusters still have the openings for the bulbs, just no bulbs. It's just covered by the bezel.

The reason you see a/c deletes on a lot of turbo builds is that gen Civic has a half width radiator, with the a half width condenser on the other side - the condenser's stock location gets in the way of most turbo piping. Pancake them on the passenger side and you should be able to keep a/c, at the expense of getting new hoses and brackets made. It'll be a tight squeeze, but personally I won't give up a/c.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Man my buddy just bought titanium valve springs and retainers. Apparently it is possible to dump money into a Civic.

He gets his ECU back next week, should have some build pics pretty soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

revmoo posted:

Man my buddy just bought titanium valve springs and retainers. Apparently it is possible to dump money into a Civic.

He gets his ECU back next week, should have some build pics pretty soon.

It's possible to dump money into any car. That D16Z6 intake has no bids and is up in 10 hours. I'll toss a bid on it after the 9th hour. If I win that I'll just go ahead and buy all the remaining bits for the swap.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hey, I leave for a week to pick up my next project and people are already talking poo poo... and I get thing done eventually.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't mean to be a killjoy dude, but why the hell would you waste money on this car when you could put it into your Miata and make it SO much better. Your Miata has 10x the potential this poo poo heap does, just do the bare minimum to keep it running, use it for a winter beater and invest your money into the car worth modding.

Investing in a high quality suspension and wheels/tires for your Miata would make it better than any car you've probably ever driven. Don't flush money and time on this civic dude, because you'll never get it back.

Just trying to give another perspective, take it for what it's worth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm doing this because it could a fun learning experience. And if I ruin the car it won't be a big deal.

Also I just dropped $300 on parts of the MS6 with another $1200 to come in two weeks. I'm not only working on the Civic, but I like the idea of having a disposable car.

Edit: I appreciate your input dude, I really do. But with the Miata I probably won't mod it any time soon.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 31, 2014

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Think outside the box.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Preoptopus posted:

Think outside the box.

I think that dude's box got dropped down a few flights of stairs.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
My brother had a neat Civic a few years back

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/sstp_1003_1997_honda_civic_hx_coupe/

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Unf.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Chase does some nice work with the harnesses in the Hondas. Saw a lot of his stuff when I lived in bham.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that's a bit more than "neat."

Putting the list of remaining parts together, probably gonna just grab it all up on Monday. Looks to be just about another $100 and I should have everything. My brakes showed up for the MS6 and the postman did't bother to walk up upstairs because he's a lazy fat gently caress so I can't install them tomorrow.

Current total: $830.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd just like to send a hearty gently caress YOU to the owner of the junk Civic.

That is a nail. He drilled a hole into the window crank and handle and then stuck an epoxied a loving nail into the channel to hold the crank in place BECAUSE A loving SNAP RING IS TOO PRIMITIVE.

Forcing it out took loving forever and I might have hosed the crank post up during removal. It still works well enough but I may swap the internal part of the window hardware later on.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
The amount of effort that went into doing that, when all he needed was a snap ring makes my brain hurt

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'd never have to take this apart! :downs:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GOD drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo