Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How the hell did you actually get 90s Honda parts from a pick and pull yard??

Every time I go I always see the Civics are stripped to the bare frame or worse, even if they're brand new. I think the lot boys strip them before they're even off the forklift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I took the bent one to Advance and AZ. It was post 9pm so typical hardware stores were closed. Advance stocks it online, just not in the store, O'Reilly's website says it's carried in most locations.

NAPA usually has "exhaust rebuild kits" that consist of spring bolts, gaskets, etc.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Went to the PnP today. New arrival Civic is a 95 DX in red. Interior is trashed, massive rear damage but the hood is better then the original and the white one. If it's still there next 50%A off day (4th of July weekend) I'll probably get it.

And so I'm looking through the red car for a window crank and a horn button, there's an inch of water in the car. I realized that is hasn't rained in a week or so on the drive home. I think they hosed the car out. Can you scrap a car for parts if somebody died in it?

Many years ago in the yard, I saw a pretty tarted-up turbo Eclipse. Knowing that parts on DSMs are relatively valuable and this one probably has some high-margin aftermarket parts I laid out my tool roll and got to work.

My buddy comes up as I'm busy pulling the mangled wreckage of the hood free from what's left of the front fenders and points out that the car has a "biohazard" warning sticker from auction on the windshield, the passenger side of the roof is caved in about two feet, there's blood on the shattered windshield and both front airbags are deployed, with the passenger side one soaked in blood.

If the passenger didn't die in that car, they sure had a hell of a fight to make it out of the hospital.

We left it be.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

The current Honda lineup is an outdated, phoned-in shitshow. Go Mazda 2/3, Ford Focus/Fiesta, or a Kia Forte, all of them are better than any of the current Hondas, and are the same price or cheaper for the same options.

If you hands-down want the most efficient car, get a 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta. ~130 horsepower, 45 mpg, and cheap because it's not a hybrid.

Honestly, I still like the Fit, though I have no idea what the current generation is like.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get the Fiesta, the Corolla has 'careless driver' style body damage, a sucky colour and twice the mileage for only a $2k savings.

Pry on the salesman until you get most of that $2k back, too. Pull his gold fillings out if you have to.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 27, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've used a bolt before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Well god drat it. The Ebay vinyl ended up being total poo poo. Kept it inside for the last few days to warm up and it wasn't pliable or even slightly usable. I heated it to stretch and it just tore every time on incredibly minor stretches. Get what you pay for I guess. So now I'm thinking maybe setting up the heaters in the garage for a day or so and trying a roll on paint job.

Yeah I could've probably told you that. McTinkerson bought some eBay vinyl for his bike project and it was total garbage even in the heat of July. Not flexible and would rip constantly even with a heat gun. Don't even know how you can tell if it's any good from the various sellers there.

Do a Slow is Fast and put tractor supply paint on it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 30, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I've always wanted to do it too. I found this kickass OCD video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

There we're 20 cans of "wrought iron" for $1.58 each and I almost bought them

I thought about that poo poo for wheels but I bet it traps dirt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Excited for the DIY painting tips in this thread. I can barely mask.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What makes a paint roller suitable for this purpose? I assume the single-piece foam crap that they sell in "kits" is not, but how do I know if I'm getting my money's worth?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man I'm really impressed. Makes me hopeful that I could do it too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Aaaaaand that's eight.

Coverage is fantastic. Somehow got a bunch of hairs in the last roller so I was wiping and re-rolling quite a bit of this coat. Not too many places in need of major touchup that I can see right now. I know I have some overspray from the primer on the windshield and a few spots where it bled a bit. Gonna peel the tape and paper off tomorrow night, air up the tires a bit (she's been sitting for a while) and clear out of the garage.

Edit: One thing, I do wish I had removed the lights, mirrors and pried off that door trim. Things I have learned if I ever do this again.

Dude that looks loving amazing. Can't wait to see it in the sunlight.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, I think that looks great. I'd be overjoyed if I could get that result.

I wonder if there's a rubber-safe paint stripper, anything without toluene or xylene. Mineral spirits?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 18, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Air Sponges (they sell them at Walmart) are some of the best options for interior defunkenating I've used.

Leave a few of them in the interior, let the car bake in direct sunlight during hot days, and swap out the sponges when they begin to shrink inside their cases until the scene is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Put baby moon hubcaps or dog dishes on it, you peasant.

Full moon hubcaps are terrible though, so don't go that far.

edit: uuugh why are baby moon hubcaps not some universally available thing? There go my plans for cruise night with the Impreza.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 19, 2015

• Locked thread