Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

GOD drat.

Lotta shiny for no money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Those cost more than I paid for the whole car man.

Then again, so does the RAM in my laptop...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I got my wife a large real stone (1.2 carat-ish), but it was some Russian thing where they lasered out some of the larger occlusions, so it's not as "valuable" as an unmodified stone, but it looks freaking brilliant and cost about 1/8 the price.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I guess he's pretty notorious locally for being a huge rear end in a top hat in the car crowd. I'm really curious if he's been plotting this because I found a picture of his car beside mine from Cars & Coffee 2 years ago.

So you dug through 2 years of facebook posts, found one picture of his car parked next to yours and somehow equate that to a long-term plot to get your car? It's not just your friends that are crazy, Rhyno.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Don't judge me Meatpimp!

I don't judge, I just observe. :wink:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The stupid poverty-spec Nissan Versa we had when my wife's Juke was in for recall service had not had its trip computer set for a long, long time (if it ever had been at all). Even in rental service, it's long-term average was 38.4 mpg. With a couple days of binary throttle (and A/C on), it dropped to 38.3mpg.

It was a shithole of a dog of a car, but it sipped gas.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Degrees, or teeth?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

revmoo posted:

Crush washers on the fuel line? You either need new ones or more torque on the existing ones probably.

So... more torque.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

How do I torque that? I only have a standard clicker socket torque wrench.

Get your clicker and bench test a couple bolts at the torque setting you're looking for. Then go right to the part that you're looking for with a long open-end wrench. You'll be close enough by feel.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Edit: God drat it, I have nothing to cap it off with here.

Do you have a couple hose clamps, a piece of hose and something small and round like a golf tee? If so, you have plenty of material to use to cap it off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Everything but the golf tee. If that is the issue I'll find something.

Golf tee is easy. The more desperate person could use part of a pencil, screwdriver, hell you could even use the knob end of a zip tie if you crank the poo poo out of the hose clamp... get creative.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Gonna go force myself to find the idle issue. Success or not the car is gonna go to my friend's barn until I find the motivation to work on it again.

50 years from now, someone's going to dig it out of that barn. Then they will laugh.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Terrible Robot posted:

He's taking a month or so break from the forums, hopefully when he comes back there will be some progress.

But he's already paid to get himself unbanned. You never quit AI.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CharlesM posted:

The autoban doesn't always get rid of avatars or sometimes doesn't even ban.

Really? I didn't know that.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

When can we start shifting up his thread?

Apparently to some, as soon as I start posting, so I'd say go ahead!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I am reminded that I need to go burn that assholes house down.

Good to have you back, rhyno.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Nothing really accomplished on my cars today. I did help a friend fix their car though.

At least line up the zip ties, have you no pride in your work?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

92 days and then rent free (if there are no construction issues).

There are always construction issues.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

we're hoping we can get the temp of the garage up to 50 and roll a coat of primer on.

It's going to take absolutely forever to dry and it may not flash off properly that cold.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Set the meatpimp time machine for 25 years ago. In 1990 I had a '90 Civic hatch, base model. Steel wheels bugged the poo poo out of me, but I was in school and had no budget, so I rattle canned the centers of the wheels black, leaving the outside rim silver. Looked surprisingly good for no money. Still looked kinda silly since they were tiny 13" wheels, but it worked. I've got a picture around somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 13, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Question, once I hit maximum coverage, I can wait however long to sand it down correct? We may get the certificate of occupancy for the new place tomorrow and I need to move the Civic to get at some stuff in the garage loft. If I didn't get around to sanding the car for like two weeks that's even better for the paint as far as hardening right?

Longer the better for something like that, but keep in mind -- the harder the paint gets, the harder it is to sand. There is a sweet spot where the paint is hard and workable, but not rock-hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

So once again weather is going to get in the way of sanding this week. More snow tomorrow throws a minor wrench in things. Thankfully the lady has said I will be allowed to finish this project at the new place so long as it means no more car projects for at least a year. So hopefully I can wrap it up sometime in the next few weeks.

Back to sanding, I have this Black & Decker hand sander my father gave me a few years ago, would this be terrible to use for the first sand? If I start with 800 grit maybe?

Terrible idea. Just sand the damned thing with a bucket of water (preferably a hose set up to continuously run water over your work area) and your damned hand.

• Locked thread