Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

This is the special World Cup thread for the German team.

What is a World Cup?

A miserable pile of gold showing two triumphing footballers holding the globe hostage. You win it as nation by sending a selection of your least terrible players to FIFA and demand a rematch and bookings at every corner against you. This time around the action will happen in Brazil which, despite their passion for the sport, has seen some social upheaval due to spending billions on the wrong loving end of the country (like having a 40k seater stadium built in a city with only a third league team) and giving FIFA a blank cheque to launder all their money, all the while not investing in important stuff like schools and infrastructure.

Germany is favoured to crash out of group G in first place against big wigs like Portugal, Ghana and the US of A.

It is considered quite rude to not have won it at least thrice so you can take part at the big boys table at dinner. But enough talk, have thee some pictures of managers and players

Der Jogi (Hans Joachim Löw)*

Current manager of Germany and always good for a laugh. Remember when he nominated Khedira and Klose, both of whom came back from looooooong injuries? Good times. What year is it again? 2014? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuck.

So yes, he has a way of picking players that's not sitting right with several posters itf, including me, which puts less emphasis on ability and more on who he personally likes more. Not that this is actually different to any of his predecessors up to and including Sepp Herberger from 80 years ago, but it's something to keep in mind when you see a way past-it player waddle around on the pitch in a German kit (it's gonna be Klinsmann in disguise).

Goalkeepers

Manuel Neuer

Germany's no.1 in goal, he acts as sweeper, making fans very uncomfortable, but those guys don't have a clue. :allears: Part of the Bayern bloc and the worlds best goalkeeper.

Roman Weidenfeller

His first World Cup honours at 33, Roman has played a very gescheite Saison, will thus be number two behind Neuer and probably only play in the decider for third place if that comes to pass. Dortmund bloc.

Ron-Robert Zieler

Tried to keep Hannover's goal clean and failed miserably this season, but is apparently enough of a cool dude to bring as third string keeper (certainly less toxic locker atmosphere than taking ter-Stegen).

Defenders

Jerome Boateng

Pretty good center-/rightback with a very slight propensity for stupid errors. Bayern bloc.

Erik Durm

Part of the Dortmund bloc, about to be blooded into the squad and hopefully a good future fullback. Started off as striker though.

Kevin Großkreutz

A working bee used on both outer midfield and defensive positions, it's impossible to find a picture that is flattering at all for the Dortmund ultra gone pro.

Michael Cera as Benedikt Höwedes

Schalkes very own defender who'll slot into either full- or centerback position.

Mats Hummels

This looker is part of the Dortmund bloc and features as centerback in the managers plans. Look at his drop dead gorgeous face. :allears:

Philipp Lahm

Skipper of both Bayern and the national team, Lahm is the tiny Übermensch everyone would love to have. Literally world class as both rightback and defensive midfield (a position he might have to play exclusively this tournament seeing as Khedira is useless when not fit - see CL final 2014 for more info).

Per Mertesacker

pictured: Mertesacker(r.) with his newborn girl

Arsenals choice centerback with pretty good game sense to counteract his lack of run- and turnspeed. Nailed on as starter, leaving one spot to either Boateng or Hummels (both guys are better but I'm not the guy being paid several million a year to manage).

Shkodran Mustafi

I don't know the first thing about Mustafi, but he looked alright against Poland. A youth player in Hamburg to transfer to Everton and from there over to Sampdoria. Needed two tries to correctly spell his name. Will probably watch the tournament from the bench.

Marcel Schmelzer

It's the guy behind the mask, and he's willing to ping crosses from half a pitch away to the stands. Leftback for Dortmund, probably starting leftback for Germany.

Midfield

Julian Draxler

Schalkes youngster on the wings, he's stagnated a bit this season (though not necessarily a fault of his own, the squires haven't been exactly constant in their showings). Could still make a breakthrough this tournament if Jogi lets him play.

Matthias Ginter

A player from the youth of Freiburg and future ArsenalDortmund player, Ginter will feature as defensive/offensive midfield backup, though his preferred position is centerback.

Mario Götze

The great German hope to make a splash this tournament, Götze has been the subject of somewhat disappointed Dortmund fans last season after his transfer to Bayern got leaked early. He is rather small, fast and has a fantastic technique (not something Germany has often among their ranks). He'll probably play as 10 interspersed with the outer midfield and a faked as poo poo 9.

Sami Khedira

A cool dude to have around, but unfortunately limited in the position he's been used as (box-to-box defensive midfield), also coming back from a cruciate ligament injury and entirely unfit for the physically demanding role. Real Madrid nearly lost their CL-final due to him.

Christoph Kramer

This kid. I haven't watched him at all despite playing for Gladbach. The blind spot of shame.

Toni Kroos

The bets are off: will Toni have another underwhelming tournament or does he play a bigger role in Löws plans? You decide!

Thomasof Müllerinho

Bayerns most unpredictable player on the wings and a Raumdeuter, people hope he'll pull off the same magic like in 2010. Highly probable starter on the right wing.

Mesut Özil

A Gunner, Özil has been the most expensive transfer Arsenal have conducted as of yet. I hope he reproduces his 2010 form just like Müller, but at least being in form might help too. Certain to start as 10.

Lukas Podolski

Lots more Gunners present than the Euros, oh well. Poldi is neither big on technique nor very fast on the wings, but he's hammering the ball like no one else on the squad. The aim's also off a bit.

Marco Reus

Fast and technically adept player on the wings. Has terrible hair and can't dance.

André Schürrle

Chose the perfect team to not develop into a player worth a poo poo, but he's still young, some club with ambition beyond parking buses all day long might get ahold of him some day. We might just not have heard of it.

Bastian Schweinsteiger

Picks up injuries left and right, is important for Germanys game and only recently started training with the ball again.

Attack

Miroslav Klose

Old Miro, another injury prone player, has surprisingly come back from a recent injury and could still start as striker. Could break Ronaldos goal record if he gets in shape.

Kevin Volland

Surprising nomination considering Kruse had seniority, but a good player nonetheless.

What do we expect?

Better football to play than you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuxghiwjgQc

So go on, post your opinions!

*His full name is Joachim Löw, some dumb reporter just added Hans one day and it stuck with me.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Germany will NOT win

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

2 World Wars, 1 World Cup.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Chris de Sperg posted:

2 World Wars, 1 World Cup.

Still not enough for the big boys table, son.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Good OP, OP

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I hope germany win this

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Nice picture selection, OP

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
You will NOT win the World Cup. In fact, you'll be lucky to get to the semis. Beckenbauer, Rummenigge and Matthäus would be spinning in their graves if they were dead.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Germany is the Best and we will Win and Thomas Müller will score most of the goals and Klose will score the rest and break Ronald's record and it's gonna be awesome.

e: also that is a good OP and I'm glad you didn't lose it to the internet or whatever.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
OP does not contain the word Mannschaft, please correct forthwith

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

We will win and philip lahm will lift the trophy in his tiny baby hands and i will do all the moves

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Bugger off Adolf, you won't be getting your grubby hands on England's World Cup

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'd be quite happy for Germany to poo poo the bed and not get out of the group but only after Klose wins the golden boot by putting 8 goals past the USMNT

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Miroslav Klose, hero of the German people WILL win the world cup for Deutschland.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Pand posted:

We will win and philip lahm will lift the trophy in his tiny baby hands and i will do all the moves

you might call it triumph of the will

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm doing some hearty laughs at the Boateng picture and the Big Per caption. Sehr gut, OP.

My prediction was going to be that Italy will end us in the semis, but it turns out they would have to come second in their group for that, and Uruguay's got that on lock. So I don't know.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
My prediction for Germany is that they will choke in a big game.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Nice op, op

Also, Germany will not win the WC

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Hooray for Hitler

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OP I think you posted a picture of Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne by mistake

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Bogan Krkic posted:

Hooray for Hitler

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm moving to germany this summer but I don't think I will ever be ready to cheer for the german team.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

oliwan posted:

I'm moving to germany this summer but I don't think I will ever be ready to cheer for the german team.

Its too bad, it's the only german thing germans are allowed to cheer for. Anything else and people get worried about the nazis or something.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Went to Germany for the WC06. They are mostly cool and chill people so I won't even be that upset when they own Jozy+10

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Someone post lowpickinghisnose.gif tia

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jose posted:

Someone post lowpickinghisnose.gif tia

Also someone post oziljugglinghisgum.flv

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Did Gomez make the final squad?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

supersteve posted:

Did Gomez make the final squad?

He is Not On The Plane.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

A German will win the Golden Boot.

Since 3rd place playoffs are usually goalfests.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Pretty sad about no Mario Gomez, but all the Gomezbutton websites are down anyway.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Really hoping Klose breaks the record

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Jözy will not let Germany pass.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Jözy will not let Germany pass.
Bit transphobic of him really.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Hitlers boys in white will win everything. It will be great.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the national man's shaft haha

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

tekz posted:

the national man's shaft haha

Sounds a bit gay

Elliptical Dick