Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

“With fire in our hearts, for Croatia all as one!”
That's their slogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lvHpkndatM

Croatia will have the honour of kicking off the opening match of the World Cup against the hosts. They will be wanting to 'spoil the party' and 'make things difficult' for Brazil and 'ask a question' of them 'in and around the box'.

You will be able to spot Croatia on the pitch by their picnic blanket looking kits.

This year's Croatian squad will probably realistically struggle to overcome Brazil's home advantage on the opening day, but they're no mugs and have a good chance of surprising and definitely will hope to finish above Mexico and Cameroon.

History

The slavs have done quite well for themselves despite not yet winning anything in the relatively short time they've competed as their own footballing nation, obviously forming not long after their independence from Yugoslavia. They finished in 3rd place, their best position to date, in their World Cup debut in 1998, convincingly beating Germany before bowing out to France, the eventual winners.

Croatian legend Davor Šuker won the Golden Boot in the same tournament. Here are all his goals in video with horrible quality and music, from the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGb885UExus

They haven't really impressed as much as their opening tournaments (also reaching the quater-finals of the Euros in 96 and 08) but have always been a proud nation with some big names in most of their squads.

Many English posters will remember them as the team that condemned Steve McClaren as 'the wally with the brolly' when we failed to qualify for Euro 2008 after Scott Carson's howler set them on their way to a 2-3 victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dqnu2AZQM

Croatia were absent from the World Cup in 2010 and will be hoping to make an impact this time around after a bit of a turbulent qualifying campaign.

Road to the Finals

Igor Štimac, who also featured in the 98 squad, led the side in qualifying, and initially looked to contest the overrated Belgium at the top of the group, but eventually started to fall away. A 0-1 loss at home to Scotland might be pinpointed as the moment things started to slide.

Štimac did secure his team a play-off spot though; if I remember right it was basically guaranteed when they held their bitter enemies Serbia to a 1-1 draw in Belgrade in a volatile game that saw a player each sent off.

Josip Šimunic took one for the team to stop Sulejmani breaking free for a potential winning goal, known in the business as a proper crunching challenge.

Štimac resigned after losing to Scotland again in the final qualifying match and Niko Kovač, previously the Under-21 coach, took over to shakily steer Croatia through their play-off against the underdogs Iceland and into the finals.

Despite his heroics against Serbia, Šimunic will not be joining the squad in brazil as he has been banned for 10 matches for doing the ‘Za Dom’ salute after their win over Iceland, which is apparently pro-Nazi and fascist – another new offensive gesture we have all learned this year along with Anelka’s quenelle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-NRQz0P6vg

Another Šimunic fact: he was the one Graham Poll gave 3 yellow cards to in 2006.

Current Squad

The Croatian team going into the tournament isn’t the best ever but it has some great players in and some familiar faces too. Here’s some you might know.

As mentioned, Niko Kovač will manage the team in the finals, a young and handsome man who was influential in recent tournaments as a player, but has been relatively untested with managerial experience outside of youth teams. Anything could happen.

Darijo Srna will captain the squad, a veteran of the team who knows how to win, decorated with trophies at Shaktar Donetsk who he also now captains, including the UEFA cup in 2009.

Dejan Lovren has impressed as a centre-back in the Premier League since joining Southampton this season, playing an important role in their fairly resilient defence in a successful season. you can see here as above that Croatians have heart and pride.

Ivan Rakitić (left) has more recently been winning the Europa league this year with Sevilla. It's apparently cool, and good, and important, to have a gay man in a national team, and thanks to this gif some people reckon Ivan is, for Carrico.

Luka Modrić has had a great season with Real Madrid, putting in very impressive performances in the Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich despite losing out on the league title to Atlético. He wasn't so amazing in the final but who cares he just won it anyway, Croatia have some winners for sure.

Mario Mandžukić is the subject of transfer speculation and might be let go by Guardiola, but not for any real failing on his part. He gets some German trophies this year as well. He will be leading the line for Croatia.

Eduardo is still knocking about as well. He's in the preliminary squad.

And many more. Here's the full provisional squad, with 7 players to be cut and Barcelona-bound youngster Alen Halilovic already missing out.

Croatia have odds of about 175/1 to win the tournament so it will take something special to be remembered this time around. but maybe they will!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

gently caress Josip Šimunic, gently caress Croatia

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Modric is gonna beast on Neymar, gonna make that pansy cry.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Simunic is a player I love to hate and hate to love. Proper mentalist. Shame he's not going because he's a fascist or something. Also, lol at the fact that there are Australians who are still mad he chose not to play for them.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Smirr posted:

Simunic is a player I love to hate and hate to love. Proper mentalist. Shame he's not going because he's a fascist or something. Also, lol at the fact that there are Australians who are still mad he chose not to play for them.

I'm mad both that he didn't play for us and that he took 3 yellows before he got sent off against us ffs he's a oval office, and a fascist

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there people in croatia who are not fascist?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
You can have three yugo teams in the same quals group who did some genocides with each other but Spain can't play Gibraltar. Proper men, these Croats. Definitely not Serbs.

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah their FAs had to agree to close each ground to away supporters in their respective fixtures but they were still allowed in the same group. But Spain are allowed to avoid Gibraltar.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

So many wasted opportunities in that OP it's like a posting version of my sexual life

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm going to be in croatia (west serbia) during the first knockout round so hopefully they make it through

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Srna, Modric, Rakitic, Mandzu...bunch o dreamboats.

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

vivisectvnv posted:

Srna, Modric, Rakitic, Mandzu...bunch o dreamboats.

speaking of..

Niko Kranjčar is OFF THE PLANE with a ruptured hamstring he picked up in the play-off final. QPR had to apply to the Croatian FA for special permission to play him in the first place and this is what they get for allowing it.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Spiller posted:

“With fire in our hearts, for Croatia all as one!”
That's their slogan.

Nobody ever heard or used this slogan outside of the Croatian FA's marketing department.

Spiller posted:

Croatian legend Davor Šuker won the Golden Boot in the same tournament. Here are all his goals in video with horrible quality and music, from the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGb885UExus

The man who turned from legend to a greedy, sleazy oval office remarkably fast.

Spiller posted:

They haven't really impressed as much as their opening tournaments (also reaching the quater-finals of the Euros in 96 and 08) but have always been a proud nation with some big names in most of their squads.

Croatia has been performing steadily though, missing only two major tournaments between 1996 and 2014. Only seven European countries have better tournament attendance.

Spiller posted:

As mentioned, Niko Kovač will manage the team in the finals, a young and handsome man who was influential in recent tournaments as a player, but has been relatively untested with managerial experience outside of youth teams. Anything could happen.

"Relatively untested" is a massive understatement. He will be leading the team with only two competitive senior games under his belt - both against Iceland.

Spiller posted:

Dejan Lovren has impressed as a centre-back in the Premier League since joining Southampton this season, playing an important role in their fairly resilient defence in a successful season. you can see here as above that Croatians have heart and pride.

Voted the Worst Player 2012/13 by Lyon's fans! He seems to have found his game in PL, though.

Spiller posted:

Mario Mandžukić is the subject of transfer speculation and might be let go by Guardiola, but not for any real failing on his part. He gets some German trophies this year as well. He will be leading the line for Croatia.

It's a certainty that he will leave Bayern. He wasn't even in Munich to celebrate the trophy and instead he went to Croatia to visit the flooded area where his family is from. He won't be available for the first game against Brazil because of prior red card.

Might as well mention Croatian greatest liability, Danijel Pranjić.

Here as Midget with a Mohawk. He can be a decent left wing and defensive midfielder but he plays left wing-back for the national team. He's abysmal at that position, always uselessly advancing only to leave his position wide open. Croatia has very few options there, especially now that Strinić is injured. :tito: (yeah we hate Yugoslavia but Tito was an ethnic Croat so there)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

oliwan posted:

are there people in croatia who are not fascist?

Actually compared to stuff that's going on pretty much throughout Europe, Croatia is remarkably non-fascist. :)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yugoslavia would have quite the team this year, is there any chance of all countries uniting into one just for the world cup?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Apparently, Mandzukic is a cool guy who doesn't like men crying and beta bitches like Guardiola and that's why Pep wants him gone: "The final straw, according to Monday's edition of Bild, had come on the night of the 4-0 defeat by Madrid two weeks ago. In an emotional internal speech after the final whistle, Guardiola took full responsibility for the defeat and moved one or two players to tears. Mandzukic, however, was "smiling provocatively" throughout, having earlier made "dismissive gestures in training". " So that's three big Alpha guys (Eto'o, Ibra and now Mandzukic) who were coached by Pep and hated his rear end, two of them calling him a spineless coward, and I'm guessing Mario will have the same words about him. That pussy doping abuser b*tch.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Ah Croatia, so much talent and so little heart, just like their brothers Serbia.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Luka Modric gets haircut, is actually 15 years old

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

C'mon the Croats

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Malaver posted:

Actually compared to stuff that's going on pretty much throughout Europe, Croatia is remarkably non-fascist. :)

Good job Croatia. My gf is going to a festival in Croatia this summer, I hope she doesn't turn fascist.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Robbie Fowler posted:

Ah Croatia, so much talent and so little heart, just like their brothers Serbia.

This was true for a good portion of the last decade, Slaven Bilic overstayed his welcome and Igor Stimac had fans booing the national team for the first time in (short) history. It has hopefully changed now, the new manager is inexperienced but has great character and enjoys unanimous support.

I think that holds true more for Serbia. They had a very strong side in 2010 yet ended last in the group.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Croatia played a friendly with Mali, who were supposed to emulate Cameroon. I didn't watch it but I hear it was an easy 2-1 win and not much to see. Wolfsburg's Ivan Perišić scored twice. The good news are that the manager apparently reads this thread so to respond to my concerns he successfully tested Dinamo Kiev's Domagoj Vida as the left wing-back. I like Vida, it would be great to see him in starting XI. He said that Genoa's Šime Vrsaljko is another option for the same position. Sweet!

In not so good news, HSV's defensive mid Milan Badelj is upset over not being invited to Brazil - he claims his injury isn't that bad. We lack players of that profile. Also Cameroon drew with Germany and Mexico defeated Israel so our direct competitors are doing better than we'd like.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Doctor Malaver posted:

Voted the Worst Player 2012/13 by Lyon's fans! He seems to have found his game in PL, though.

Bit of an understatement this, possibly the best defender in the league this year. Top lad.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fat Lowtax posted:

C'mon the Croats

Daleko Daleko Iza Devet Sela!

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
I heard this team was blessed by the Pope, does this mean they'll beat Brazil?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Not the current team, maybe an earlier squad but I don't remember. The current team was recently blessed by our cardinal so that's gotta count for something too.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Mans posted:

Yugoslavia would have quite the team this year, is there any chance of all countries uniting into one just for the world cup?

If you think about it, Yugoslavia would of won at least 3 world cups by now.

Also Croatia vs Croatia B Australia are playing on the 6th.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Lets go Mario "Pep is dumb" Mandzukic.

e: Ugh he's not even starting what the HECK.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 7, 2014

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

We played our Australian brothers yesterday. The first half didn't offer much. Lot of aggression from Australian side but no goal attempts, Jelavic's goal (possibly from offside), and Pranjic's injury (tackled by Franjic, lol). That's the second left wing-back injured, and we didn't have any to begin with. I fell asleep during the second half but it was supposedly better. The press reactions range from "Kovac wisely conserves players' strength and doesn't reveal tactics to Brasil", to "a difficult win and overall lukewarm show".

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Not the current team, maybe an earlier squad but I don't remember. The current team was recently blessed by our cardinal so that's gotta count for something too.

Yeah, that means that Satan is now on our side. :v:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

oliwan posted:

Good job Croatia. My gf is going to a festival in Croatia this summer, I hope she doesn't turn fascist.

Don't knock it until you have tried it. Fascists have cool sex clothing.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Croatia is a poo poo team for beating out Iceland in the qualifiers. gently caress Croatia (except Rakitic) and gently caress Mario "The one you thought of last" Mandzukic.

Just look at this motherfucker. Kicking a guy in the balls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHahaV3rME0

I can't wait to see Eto'o celebrate in their ugly faces before they die in the group stage.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Croatia loving owns fly away troll

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Croatia have probably my favourite shirts of any international team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJyPPZ_p4M&t=5000s

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i hope crotia ruins those brazilian cunts today

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

The manager teared the ref apart after the game, the pundits weren't that extreme but they all agreed it wasn't a penalty. What surprises me more is that nobody says anything about the final goal that IMO came after a blatant foul in the middle of the pitch.
Also everybody agrees that we played well and that we should be happy with everything except the score. Well we shouldn't be happy with both our center backs getting carded either.

Srna (RWB) wasn't good going forward, too bad that the captain is obviously way past his prime.
Vrsaljko (LWB) was surprisingly good, he even managed to pass with his left leg.
The entire mid played well, but Olić (LW) had ups and downs. He apparently decided to show the whole world in what was his last opportunity to do so, that he knows tricks just like the smart guys. You see, for most of his career he was known for nothing else except running fast in a straight line. Now we lost a couple of important balls through his failed midfield magic.

It was good to see young guys (Rebić = 20, Kovačić = 20, Brozović = 21, Vrsaljko = 22) perform reasonably well in such a big game, although subs (Rebić and Brozović) didn't bring much of an edge.

All in all, mixed feelings... Would like to hear some neutral goon comments cause I don't feel like going through 100+ pages of the match day thread.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 13, 2014

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

I'm a neutral Malaver & I thought you were robbed. The referee seemed fair until he had to card Neymar; afterwards he lost his bottle and was too swayed by the crowd. Every 50/50 subsequently went Brazil's way, as did a few blatant decisions in Croatia's favour. It seemed like the dodgy refereeing from 2002 was back.

Olic did well and obviously has huge stamina but lacked the pace to execute the flashy tricks he was attempting. Your midfield was otherwise excellent, although they could have made more use of the space that Jelavic was creating. Your LB played very well, especially with the lack of support he had from Olic, and your attacks down the left side really troubled Brazil. Your youth players seem excellent technically and well drilled in the fast, counter-attacking style. With Mandzukic back I see you getting out of the group.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Olic was fine imo, he did that stupid trick that almost resulted in a goal but otherwise did solid work just like you expect from him.
Imo it wasn't a penalty and yeah the third goal was preceded by a foul in midfield. But also Pletikosa did kinda not do enough imo. The first one I thought was bit of a soft one to go in.
All in all croatia played really well, certainly much better than expected and the score line kinda betrays the performance.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Thought Olic was actually pretty good and looked like the main threat- especially in that first half. Jelavic was pretty average but he's only playing as Mandzukic is out I assume? Modric and Rakitic looked good (not in the hair department though, jesus christ is Rakitic going for the MacGyver look?) but I think they would have both been better further forward with a more defensive minded midfielder behind them. I definitely think they'll qualify second .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Seriously think that they need to play Rakitic in the hole with Vukojevic in tandem with Modric as holding mids, i feel like his talent set is misused in the position he is in now.

They were partially robbed, but Pletikosa was real bad and unsure of himself, outside of that great save in the 1st.

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2014

• Locked thread