Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Widestancer posted:

Ive been paying for my degrees at every step of the way simply by working multiple jobs and making smart use of grant writing to get funding that doesn't need to be paid back.

If you're legit having issues with college funding pm me and I can send you some grant writing stuff; honestly there is a LOT of free money laying around that doesn't get used especially by undergrads that being in grant form does not incur debt.

college is slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
I paid off my 32000 student loan in 4 years, I actually got penalized 750 dollars for it

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
shell game

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

Widestancer posted:

Ive been paying for my degrees at every step of the way simply by working multiple jobs and making smart use of grant writing to get funding that doesn't need to be paid back.

If you're legit having issues with college funding pm me and I can send you some grant writing stuff; honestly there is a LOT of free money laying around that doesn't get used especially by undergrads that being in grant form does not incur debt.

regretting not having plat now t b h

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Gulzin posted:

Wrong..
I didn't say how, I said why. What algebraic property are you using?

Ah. Then you mean they simply haven't been forced to memorize the distributive property?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Design Spots posted:

also, being a janitor isn;t a bad job you get 23 dollars a hour a union and stuff.

That's not bad at all esp with benefits.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

if i have 43 urinals to add new urinal pucks to, but i only have one case of 12 urinal pucks, how many cases of 12 urinal pucks do i need to ask my manager for to put one puck in each urinal

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
i don't get it at all sorry.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
I have 0 uncured debt and AMEX wants me to join the credit card club.

people understand two things in life, money and survivalism.

You want a happy ending.

I've got bad news, most of us are gonna die from diabetes, heart failure or cancer, in the next 10 years, as medical costs grow.

You can't escape this reality

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

plumper fuckbus posted:

if i have 43 urinals to add new urinal pucks to, but i only have one case of 12 urinal pucks, how many cases of 12 urinal pucks do i need to ask my manager for to put one puck in each urinal
my number line only goes up to 15 let me construct a number sentence
if me and several other goons count on our fingers that counts as a number line and we get credit right

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Widestancer posted:

Your post had too many syllables and most of those words the kids will never have to use when they flip burgers and open hotdog stands in Reform, AL

Please apologize you might gently caress up our kids :qq:

Ironically, working as a grill cook, when I was in the weeds, I'd literally math out optimum sequencings.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
reminder if you think the bitching is bad now, states are just starting to adopt the new science and social studies standards

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

Widestancer posted:

That's not bad at all esp with benefits.

I still regret quitting that job, now I am an insane man making 90 dollars and hour

it is kinda funny
in a hah kinda way

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

if me and several other goons count on our fingers that counts as a number line and we get credit right

pm me when you figure it out these urinals smell like piss

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Design Spots posted:

I still regret quitting that job, now I am an insane man making 90 dollars and hour

it is kinda funny
in a hah kinda way

what do you do are you part of the oil/fracking boom or whatevs?

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
i wake up sometimes and walk outside questioning how I am still alive, and in my poo poo house made of bullshit, i go back to sleep and wake up to sleep again

its my prozac

edit: also gently caress telemarketers

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

fits my needs posted:

what do you do are you part of the oil/fracking boom or whatevs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUPpVgnXY6U

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Accretionist posted:

That sounds reasonable. Do you know off-hand if there're research findings as to its effectiveness?

Unfortunately, I don't know off-hand.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

common core just seems like a way to put on paper all those weirdass tricks people do in their head, and all the retard babies on facebook that complain about it just take one look at it, get confused, then scream about obama and liberals ruining math because of black kids

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

looks like we have a numerical situation here

we'd better go through the sentential channels as a managerial collective and requisition our $23/hr janitor to clean up this operative mishap

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

plumper fuckbus posted:

pm me when you figure it out these urinals smell like piss
sorry dude im just a college math teacher since 2006 that thinks that major curriculum changes that led to a sweeping decline in math proficiency is just irrelevant bullshit so im obviously kind of an idiot

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bolian Blues posted:

:frogsiren:MATH SITUATION:frogsiren:

Is that sort of like how "obstacle courses" became "confidence courses"?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

if anyone ever says "number sentence" to me imma punch them

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

im obviously kind of an idiot

agreed

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

Copley Depot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBAzlNJonO8

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
how come no one ever points to some bullshit "common core is destroying our children" thing about something more complicated than 1st grade math?

makes you think

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Weird, that's how I do math in my head anyways but that's not how I was taught. It's the best way for me to do math in my head for sure. It's especially useful for multiplication of weird or large numbers without a calculator or pen and paper.

Would be kind of awkward to teach I guess.

I.e reading that poo poo was a lot harder to understand than what is actually going on

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm undecided, teaching people to use mental shortcuts and to understand underlying concepts is well and good but "math sentences" is a loving abomination

i'd be curious to see what the equivalent reform for gradeschool / highschool english is though

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
the beer is skunked but thats ok

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I bet if we make math even more insanely gay kids will suddenly like it

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
i am still drink it

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

sorry dude im just a college math teacher since 2006 that thinks that major curriculum changes that led to a sweeping decline in math proficiency is just irrelevant bullshit so im obviously kind of an idiot

look at the bright side, as someone procuring a math-intensive degree, job security for both of us

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

Copley Depot posted:

a
also people who say "times 5 by 6" holy fuckballs!

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
all your memeories is kills you.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm undecided, teaching people to use mental shortcuts and to understand underlying concepts is well and good but "math sentences" is a loving abomination

i'd be curious to see what the equivalent reform for gradeschool / highschool english is though

"Number sentences" and "math situations," get it right or pay the price.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Copley Depot posted:

a
also people who say "times 5 by 6" holy fuckballs!

reverse polish notation

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you dont get credit if you dont express your answer as a number situation
weve only been over borrowing and carrying for half the school year if you dont prove to me that you understand why it works this time and every time how will i know you havent forgotten
now put on your regulation new math safety helmet and try to do the problem again

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
also, it is memorial day, not bothers you in a cemetary until 12pm tommorow (observed)

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
my credit card is vaporware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

you dont get credit if you dont express your answer as a number situation
weve only been over borrowing and carrying for half the school year if you dont prove to me that you dont understand why it works this time and every time how will i know you havent forgotten
now put on your regulation math room safety helmet and try to do the problem again

education is stupid imo

• Locked thread