Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
help my math is slightly different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXx2VVSWDMo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
common core is a curriculum developed by teachers using additional methods that supplement (not replace) the method we all learned in school in order to illustrate actual understanding of mathematics rather than simply memorizing algorithms and tricks to solve simple problems

in other words eat poo poo op

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Feminition posted:

lmao this is just such fuckin bullshit not necessarily because the methodology is wrong but that these kids are gonna be so fuckin lost when they get to university and their professors aren't gonna be interested in this poo poo

pretty sure professors aren't going to be teaching kids how to subtract

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So looking at all the Common Core poo poo in this thread it looks like its just doing two things:

-Teaching kids to add/subtract by breaking the numbers apart so they're easier to manage
-Introducing equations/algebra earlier

Is there something else I'm missing because if that's all this poo poo is then why didn't we do it years ago?

the problem isn't that students aren't getting it. the problem is that parents feel inadequate about having to learn a new method of doing something that is otherwise trivial, and it makes them feel dumb.

the war against common core is entirely about the egos of parents

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Design Spots posted:

because you get the answer wrong for not showing your work

x-y graphs are easy just keep the 3,4, 7 triangle math in your head.

you get penalized for not showing work even though the answer is right.

it is a hosed system

math has always been taught that way, and anyway grading is up to teachers not the curriculum

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Design Spots posted:

I once failed a math test in college by getting all the answers right and not showing any work.

college is just like high school, except you pay for it

college is a fraud, design spots. there is more dignity in dropping out than completing your degree.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Design Spots posted:

it's that or have criplling debt for not finishing to get a high paying job in the booming economy.

but if you drop out you won't be forever marked as being a little bitch by your degree

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Design Spots posted:

i nevered finished college, i dont think i ever will. it's fun being debt free in a job that doesn't take diplomas and such

agreed

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Widestancer posted:

Ive been paying for my degrees at every step of the way simply by working multiple jobs and making smart use of grant writing to get funding that doesn't need to be paid back.

If you're legit having issues with college funding pm me and I can send you some grant writing stuff; honestly there is a LOT of free money laying around that doesn't get used especially by undergrads that being in grant form does not incur debt.

college is slavery

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

gary oldmans diary posted:

im obviously kind of an idiot

agreed

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
how come no one ever points to some bullshit "common core is destroying our children" thing about something more complicated than 1st grade math?

makes you think

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

you dont get credit if you dont express your answer as a number situation
weve only been over borrowing and carrying for half the school year if you dont prove to me that you dont understand why it works this time and every time how will i know you havent forgotten
now put on your regulation math room safety helmet and try to do the problem again

education is stupid imo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Moridin920 posted:

i'm pretty sure it's faster to add 26 + 17 in your head by going 20+10 = 30 then plus 13 from the 6 and the 7 is 43 than introducing loving 4 and 13 into the mix. I get what they are doing but what is the reasoning behind that it seems like they are teaching people to think with roadblocks in the way or something.

it's not supposed to be faster. this is used to illustrate the concept, it doesn't replace the old method of subtraction

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

and illustrating the concept in remedial terms the student would rather forget because they get it now gets to be a teach to the test hallmark of math education

that has nothing to do with common core though and everything to do with 'ed reformers' that insist we must test everything because education should be run like a $100m business, including usage of as many meaningless buzzwords as possible

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

no this is the first system ever developed before this nobody ever really understood why youre supposed to borrow or carry
'Merica solved that 1 for you

gulzin's point is that the ability to subtract 2133 from 6747 by learning an algorithm is a pointless skill in the year 2014. it makes more sense to teach math in a way that prepares students for more difficult math. that does not mean that no one knew why you borrow or carry before this, but it does mean that a student needs to learn why before they're considered proficient in the topic.

lol @ your complaint about "having to show your work long after you get it." yeah because math has always been the epitome of interesting and never involves solving problem after problem using the exact same method

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

what new math is thiiiiss!?

i'm wondering if you actually understood the 'new math' reference the other poster used or if you are just making fun of the phrase you read in this thread?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i really enjoy this conversation between dumb people who think they know education b/c they went to school and a person that actually teaches math and knows what they're talking about (so of course they're ignored by half the posters)

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Lightanchor posted:

You don't teach intuition by adding explicit steps, and basic arithmetic should be a practical skill instead of a grand entry into the magical world of mathematics

sorry but this thread requires references now, before you give your opinion you will need to either give your credentials or cite a source for your argument.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Lightanchor posted:

I have a P.H.D. in tenuously caring about dumb internet arguments where nothing's at stake

i hope that's from a credentialed institution?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Big Pinch posted:

Common Core will fail since it doesn't solve the actual problems.

1. Math isn't 'cool'
2. Math takes effort and kids are lazy
3. Parents are stupid and don't care

#3 is a feature. kids whose parents help them with their math homework perform worse on average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

DeepQantas posted:

The problem is the standard, not the content.

If it's such a good teaching tool, surely the teachers would try it out and start using it anyway. Oh no wait, they wouldn't because the decisions of how things are taught in a classroom are made by politicians on a 10 year delay.

e: Hey teachers, next time some kids ask why they need to learn math, tell them it's not because of their individual needs but because ExxonMobil requires 5% more college graduates.

common core wasn't developed by politicians, it was developed by teachers to address shortcomings in US disparate standards across the country

• Locked thread