Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Calculate the circumference of Goatman's rear end in a top hat in pixels assuming a 1440x900 image resolution. Use this to subtract 4 from 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

waffle posted:

*is in a country well below average in math and science performance and has been for years*
i dunno maybe it's because we have an abnormally high number of parents who don't give a gently caress

... naaaaaaaah
23 + 3 + 20
7 + 16 + 9
= 301,929

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gulzin posted:

I'm a math professor. I'd rather every freshman student I had be taught by common core so I wouldn't see:

(-1)*1^(2/3) =... I'd simplify it, but I don't have a calculator.

This was in a Calc. 2 class.
when i was in university i was already a shitlord so that's the kind of answer i would've given, i made pictures out of fill-in bubbles on those scantron tests because i was gonna ace the class anyway so i'm pretty sure he was just fuckin' with you

seriously calc is rarely a general ed requirement so you don't take it unless you can solve for -1

waffle posted:

That is a nice convenient status quo supportive post but if you think the american standard curriculum for teaching science and mathematics actually encourages critical thinking and anything more than rote memorization then, well, I dunno, you should reconsider that opinion, furthermore,
well maybe we should teach logic techniques instead of just adding an extra rote layer onto math

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 25, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gary oldmans diary posted:

my number line only goes up to 15 let me construct a number sentence
if me and several other goons count on our fingers that counts as a number line and we get credit right
looks like we have a numerical situation here

we'd better go through the sentential channels as a managerial collective and requisition our $23/hr janitor to clean up this operative mishap

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Moridin920 posted:

I just don't understand why you can't do 15 - 7 in your head without all that other poo poo.
admittedly my method is also hosed up which would be 7 * 2 = 14 + 1 = 15 --> (14 / 2) + 1 = 8 but i dunno that's critical thinking and quite frankly i wouldn't know how to teach someone how to think

like i don't give a gently caress how you arrived at it as long as you understand how you arrived at it rather than just knowing it because you memorized it on a chart, you don't have to use my dumb rear end method

you would imagine that thinking comes fairly naturally but i guess not :confused:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i was never taught the number line or whatever but how the gently caress do you get a teaching degree without understanding and being able to describe borrowing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gulzin posted:

Let me show you this on 41254-23177 when you get good at the common core method
23177+3=23180
23180+20=23200
23200+800=24000
24000+6000=30000
30000+10000=40000
40000+1000=41000
41000+200=41200
41200+50=41250
41250+4=41254
so biggest to smallest: 10000+6000+1000+800+200+50+20+4+3=10000+8000+70+7=18077
See how I am using the base 10 number system to my advantage. So can you! So can your kids!
I understand what's going on here and I see how it's efficient, but all I can think is... so? I'm not seeing the critical thinking, it's just memorization of a different technique. It sounds like the teams that designed it envision independent problem solving as the Common Core's endgame, and yet all I see is getting rid of one chart and replacing it with a different one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gulzin posted:

However, I don't think this is a magic bullet. You want to solve the education problems: the first best step is to stop No Child Left Behind and put something better in there (say an accreditation system like colleges have).
Accreditation systems would, at least in the short-term (and in bureaucracy terms, this is probably about half a generation), completely gently caress millions of students. A lot of families don't live in lovely school districts because they want to, and it'll take years for the hundreds of American schools that don't pass muster to get up to standards. What happens to the students in the meantime? Do they put in their applications to university all "Well I got straight As in Bumfuck High" "Bumfuck High? That isn't an accredited institution, too bad." "Scholarships? Not happening, your school wasn't accredited. I mean, it wasn't your fault, but gently caress you anyway."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 26, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Look, it seems you guys don't understand the way this works. I made a couple phone calls to a few guys that were on the Washington state board that helped setup the adoption of the CC standards in our state (OSPI). They said this:

well with a name like rhonyn obviously they're gonna give you some new-age crystal runaround poo poo what you expect

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I'm retarded too but it looks like the proponents say it'll help kids understand numbers by giving them multiple avenues to solve problems they work on, thus giving them a more intuitive sense of what numbers and operations in basic algebra really 'are', and the people against either can't understand it or keep repeating that there's no substitute for doing math when no one said the kids would stop having to do any actual math work.
The problem is that realistically, few schools are actually going to have the resources to teach those multiple avenues. More than likely, understaffed schools with oversized classes are gonna choose the one at the top of the list and, well, we just can't deal with any student who understands better under the different methods that are outlined in the teaching guidelines that we're unable to cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

• Locked thread