Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon
(Note to mods: Not sure if this is in the right place. Please let me know if I should move it. Thanks!)

I'm an artist and have been needing to redo my site for some time. For a while now, I've been using a white label version of the portfolio site Hire an Illustrator and I think it shows. Not to mention how there are visible options that I don't use, and other things I need, but don't have. But you don't want to see my older site and how bad it was. My brother built it for me when he was still learning to code and it was pieced together like some kind of Frankenstein monster.

I don't have the money to pay someone to redesign my site properly. As a freelancer, I wouldn't want to offend someone by paying less than they are worth. So, I was thinking about using a service like Wix or Square Space. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they a decent alternative, or will they end up looking so obviously like an template than I'm better off biting the bullet and paying someone to do it from scratch?

I appreciate any feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I'm a web developer by trade which unfortunately means I don't have a whole lot of experience with these sorts of sites (since I build my own or build things on top of something like wordpress).

But I have a friend who uses Squarespace and this is his site:
http://goodbeerhunting.com/

I've always thought he did a pretty good job with his site, but I really don't know what he has to put into it in order to bring it up to that level. His b-Roll in particular is more of a portfolio version that you might be interested in.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

beerinator posted:

I'm a web developer by trade which unfortunately means I don't have a whole lot of experience with these sorts of sites (since I build my own or build things on top of something like wordpress).

I've always thought he did a pretty good job with his site, but I really don't know what he has to put into it in order to bring it up to that level. His b-Roll in particular is more of a portfolio version that you might be interested in.

I loving hate that style of webpage, I really do. Too much loving scrolling when it could be arrayed in a much more condense fashion. It's one of those things that is form over function for sure.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

beerinator posted:

Thanks! I understand not having first-hand experience, but it does help to see a finished, live site.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

PersonalGenius posted:

I don't have the money to pay someone to redesign my site properly. As a freelancer, I wouldn't want to offend someone by paying less than they are worth. So, I was thinking about using a service like Wix or Square Space.

Just a couple of months ago, I helped someone who had setup a WIX site. I could not get them off WIX fast enough. That site might be fine to get a "bad-to-below-average" website running if you have no knowledge of HTML/CSS, but I found it to be a nightmare if you ever want to modify things.

I haven't touched Squarespace in roughly a year and a half, but I seem to have a more positive memory of their product.

Your current site is probably better than what you'd get out of WIX -- not sure about squarespace, though.

Honestly, I'd look into Wordpress*. Despite the number of horrible, awful Wordpress sites that are out there, there are actually a lot of good themes. A basic portfolio site is pretty much a perfect use-case (in my mind) for Wordpress. Just about every web host has 1-click Wordpress installs, or you could just buy a Wordpress.com account. Then, pop over to Themeforest.com or whatever and find a theme that you like.

Think of it like buying a suit off the rack at a department store rather than getting something custom tailored. WIX and Squarespace is like someone giving you a bunch of different pieces of a suit and sewing machines and telling you to do it yourself.

* - Note: I only suggest Wordpress because I have helped many people install it an use it for purposes extremely similar to this. Other frameworks (Joomla, whatever) are likely just as capable, but I am not as familiar with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Honestly, I'd look into Wordpress*.

I have thought about this, and I have seen some themes that I really like, but I think that I'd need someone to help me install & modify it. Because I can't afford to pay someone, I'm looking for something I can do & update completely by myself. I only know the most basic HTML.

• Locked thread