Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eww. I hope they lose now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This trick sucks. I don't know how he did it but I knew exactly how it would end up. The best magic tricks are where you are surprised or shocked. Who on Earth didn't expect that trick to end as it did? Of course the cards were gonna match up like that. Does that make sense?

That feels like an unfair criticism. It seems like being disappointed that Houdini escaped from the underwater chains and straight jacket, or being surprised when David Copperfield made the statue of liberty disappear. I did enjoy Smoothini's close up magic better, and Matt Supra (after he listed to Howard and dropped the Desmond bullshit) but I don't get the hate for Mat Franco as he's a technically competenent magician, with decent showmanship and most importantly...NOT a singer.

I'll probably split my votes between him and Serendib, while still predicting Quinativus to win.

Did anyone else watch Emily West's first song hoping that they would show her attempt to get off stage while wearing that carpet dress? Did they get to airlift her out?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Acro Army or bust IMO

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yep, I hate Billie Jean now. Thanks rear end in a top hat

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Make it stop, I like this song when it's not sung like that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Acro Army should finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The last girl on top couldn't finish her move. She didn't get fully upside down.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Whichever camera person that kept thinking it's a good idea to cut to the judges' reactions during acts that need to be seen instead of heard needs to be loving fired. I WANT TO SEE THE ACT YOU IDIOT.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The last girl on top couldn't finish her move. She didn't get fully upside down.

I know, but that was already more than enough.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

eXXon posted:

I know, but that was already more than enough.

Absolutely, but it could hurt them. They SHOULD win this running away but they won't. It's gonna be close with an undeserving act and that might mean the difference.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

And for what it's worth, I agree about Franco's card trick. The setup was long and dull and the outcome was exactly what you expect even down to the predictable lol one card was wrong gag. I don't know how technically difficult that trick is but it underwhelmed either way.

Also I thought I saw him mess up the ordering when laying out Howard's second set of cards. It looked like there were a couple of cards out of colour order in the middle (the aces?) and he visibly smoothed them out/added new cards from his palm to cover it up. Maybe someone recording it can confirm if they care.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

eXXon posted:

And for what it's worth, I agree about Franco's card trick. The setup was long and dull and the outcome was exactly what you expect even down to the predictable lol one card was wrong gag. I don't know how technically difficult that trick is but it underwhelmed either way.

Also I thought I saw him mess up the ordering when laying out Howard's second set of cards. It looked like there were a couple of cards out of colour order in the middle (the aces?) and he visibly smoothed them out/added new cards from his palm to cover it up. Maybe someone recording it can confirm if they care.

I saw that too.

He was never gonna win anyway so I don't really care.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Level Seven posted:

Whichever camera person that kept thinking it's a good idea to cut to the judges' reactions during acts that need to be seen instead of heard needs to be loving fired. I WANT TO SEE THE ACT YOU IDIOT.

If I could find whoever is choosing what camera shots to use I would loving murder them. They absolutely destroyed Acro Army's act for me, partially because it made it so much less enjoyable and also partially just because it was so loving frustrating. When the act is building a four-man tall, 20+ tall pillar, DON'T JUST FOCUS ON THE PERSON ON THE TOP! You can't even tell it's a tall pillar anymore!

Honestly I'm not sure who my favorite is. I guess anyone other than Cup & Ball guy. Like eXXon said I saw him make that same screwup with Howard's cards. His tricks are really basic and he doesn't even do them all that well.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
6th place: Miguel :woop:

5th place: Quintavious. That got one of the biggest boos from the crowd this show has had.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Can't believe Quintavious got 5th!

Seems unfair to have Emily West, with three songs that have charted, on the show at all, especially since she has now made it further than Quin, who is a million times more talented than she is.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, Howie likes to insist the show isn't meant to be just for amateurs, but she was discovered, had her shot, didn't make it. She even had some small degree of success before fading away.

So, in what world is it fair to have someone like that compete against talent that is either undiscovered or little known?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

America is retarded.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
:argh:

Welp, looks like we're getting a singer this year. 3 in a row was too much to hope for. happened! :woop:

Level Seven fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrendianaJones posted:

Yeah, Howie likes to insist the show isn't meant to be just for amateurs, but she was discovered, had her shot, didn't make it. She even had some small degree of success before fading away.

So, in what world is it fair to have someone like that compete against talent that is either undiscovered or little known?

Just about every comedian on the show has been a touring pro, they have very loose rules.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
For a while there I was hoping this would be the year a magician won, but given the options, the singer is the better choice. Dammit.

At least she'll fade away again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I saw that too.

He was never gonna win anyway so I don't really care.

lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Swerve.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Oh thank god Mat won. Seems like a genuinely nice person. Also a magician makes a way better Vegas show than a singer.

It's a shame Emily made it all the way to 2nd. Apart from Miguel the votes went the opposite way I thought they were going to.

Well, spent a bunch of time watching this dumb show, what am I going to do with my time now?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Emily was crazy talented, I'm just glad for once a loving singer didn't win. Also Miguel getting 6th brought me much joy.

Also yeah, Mat seems like such a nice dude. :3:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fix is in.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
If Quintavious doesn't have record companies lining up around the block I'll eat my hat. That performance tonight with Hudson was...off the chain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Yeah, chiming in five days late because real life, having just watched the finale, I am surprised but also glad it wasn't a singer again. Really thought Quintavious had it though, he deserves it. Glad to see Acro Army go far, and overall thought it was pretty good this season. God what a weird loving show.

• Locked thread