Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nick and Mariah Carey split up, so remove that space from your AGT Bingo cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
They sent him home purely based on his terrible name.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
That's why I loved Smoothini and gave him most of my votes. Sure it's small scale, but it's pure sleight of hand and re-watching the videos on youtube, other than some reaching into his pockets - there's no room for fuckery. I also give alot of respect to him for not sob storying his military service. The dude's a Army vet but he dosen't prey on it for votes like other acts.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I completely forgot he was a military vet. The fact that he's not highlighting that makes me even more irritated he's gone.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

The Nastier Nate posted:

That's why I loved Smoothini and gave him most of my votes. Sure it's small scale, but it's pure sleight of hand and re-watching the videos on youtube, other than some reaching into his pockets - there's no room for fuckery. I also give alot of respect to him for not sob storying his military service. The dude's a Army vet but he dosen't prey on it for votes like other acts.

Don't you know by now that in Amurrika brown people can't do anything to serve the country with honest intentions. :allears:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That was a good magic trick.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Ehud posted:

That was a good magic trick.

It was well performed, but I wasn't too impressed by the trick itself. Too easy to guess how they did it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What was the first act? I turned it on late.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

werdnam posted:

It was well performed, but I wasn't too impressed by the trick itself. Too easy to guess how they did it.

How did they do it?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
These cello guys ARE NOT GOOD.

Lol at "rocking out" to Dont Want to Miss a loving Thing. You can fall asleep to that song.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 10, 2014

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ehud posted:

How did they do it?

I'd love to know as well. I have no clue.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ehud posted:

How did they do it?

Probably sleight of hand to throw the ticket while popping the (empty) yellow balloon over the table. I'm not sure how they made the ticket with the right numbers though. Or they could have actually put the ticket in the balloon before popping it, I wasn't paying enough attention to tell.

Acro Army is incredible and should win.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 10, 2014

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Ehud posted:

How did they do it?

I'll admit this is just a guess... But I suspect that they used the misdirection of scratching off the prize (notice only one guy was busy with that, as I recall) to write the numbers on the ticket and plant it in the remaining balloon. Or heck, they wouldn't even necessarily have to put it IN the balloon, as they had control of it the whole time and who can tell if the ticket was really in the balloon when it popped? The point is, there was plenty of time after the reveals of the numbers to fix the ticket and plant it.

I'm not a professional magician, though, so I could be full of poo poo.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

These cello guys ARE NOT GOOD.

Lol at "rocking out" to Dont Want to Miss a loving Thing. You can fall asleep to that song.

I bailed pretty early in the season so has anybody called these kids out on ripping off 2Cellos yet?. I mean, they copied them right down to the loving facial expressions/movements while playing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I assume the guy popping it just threw it on the table.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This kid is so bad.

What an awful way to close the show.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Ehud posted:

This kid is so bad.

What an awful way to close the show.

Yeah. He'd better not make it through.

On the contrary, Ordinary World is probably my favorite song ever, so hearing those guys perform it left me in a perpetual state of "goosies" throughout the entire performance. 10 more of my votes to Sons of Serendip. Hopefully America agrees.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Every singer is going to go through and it's gonna be awful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like how they always talk about how AGT helped Jackie Evancho after they had cut her twice and she only made it in on a Youtube vote.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So how do young singers escape their voice being butchered by puberty?

edit: I really wish I didn't just watch Miss Piggy perform its Raining Men.

And yes Nick, I wish the two puppets hosted the show instead of you.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 11, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is pretty terrible but still a huge improvement over Howie Mandell candid camera segments.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Of course the generic dreamboat singer advances over the actually unique and cool act. Of COURSE.

EDIT: I know you hated them Shimrra, but I'd much rather they have gone on than loving Miguel Dakota. That said Aerial Animation was mega-robbed.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 11, 2014

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Just saw on Facebook that David & Leeman got eliminated. What a bummer. I went to high school with David, he's a class act. He actually teaches there now when he's not doing magic.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Of all the magical acts left in the final 12 I thought David and Leeman were the best. Matt Franco's tricks are decent but I think his stage presence is annoying. No idea if he's like that in real life but seriously guy, tone down the happiness.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how do young singers escape their voice being butchered by puberty?

Back in the day they had a simple solution. :ese:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Emily West is gonna win and it'll be the worst result in the show's history. She's a literal has-been.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Emily West is gonna win and it'll be the worst result in the show's history. She's a literal has-been.

So is the entire judging panel.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Of all the singers in the competition, she's definitely my favorite!

So fourth best out of the six.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

So is the entire judging panel.

Not being very familiar with Howard Stern myself I always figured that the self congratulatory comments he makes on the show about being so important and influential and everything were just him poking fun at himself.

But no, he really believes it.

edit: holy poo poo Heidi that's not something to be impressed with. That kid needs loving help if he feels that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can't stand that kid's drat voice. He constantly sounds like he has a blocked nose.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh my god its the loving cup and ball trick. The OLDEST magic trick in the world. I made a loving joke about this weeks ago.

This is so loving lame.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh my god its the loving cup and ball trick. The OLDEST magic trick in the world. I made a loving joke about this weeks ago.

This is so loving lame.
Penn & Teller forever ruined that trick by using clear plastic Solo cups.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Without watching any of the acts yet, I predict Quintavius Johnson winner with Franco runner up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Acro Army is literally the only act worthy of winning this thing. Which of course means they'll come in 4th, right in front of the magician.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
We need ANOTHER intro video for everybody? Really?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Level Seven posted:

We need ANOTHER intro video for everybody? Really?

Gotta fill up 2 hours somehow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It looks like he actually had to switch some cards in the middle that didn't end up right.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I hope next year instead of doing 2 acts, one of which we've already seen - they would give each act more time. If we expect these acts to be able to win a 90 minute headlining show, I think we should get the option to see them do a 5 minute act instead 2 90 second ones and 2 introduction packages.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This trick sucks. I don't know how he did it but I knew exactly how it would end up. The best magic tricks are where you are surprised or shocked. Who on Earth didn't expect that trick to end as it did? Of course the cards were gonna match up like that. Does that make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I hope next year instead of doing 2 acts, one of which we've already seen - they would give each act more time. If we expect these acts to be able to win a 90 minute headlining show, I think we should get the option to see them do a 5 minute act instead 2 90 second ones and 2 introduction packages.

poo poo yeah, that's what I expected to see and I'm really disappointed that instead, we're getting 1 new act and 1 rehash.

Seriously, cup & loving ball? That's what the drunk rear end in a top hat does on the street corner in loving bangladesh.

• Locked thread