Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TieTuesday posted:

Finally closing out mission 2 today. The game is about to really start poppin' off so enjoy the last shreds of "reason" while they're still here!

"Leave the mask, Ethan"

Wait maybe you should take care of that guy spraying you with a fire extinguisher, he might, you know, tell someone that Commander Punchington was wearing a Golystine morph suit, and it wasn't actually Golystine that ran down the hall and punched a man :psyduck: I played this game a ton as a kid, and NEVER realized how ridiculous this stuff is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The dead man is totally punchable and they THOUGHT THAT YOU WOULD DO THAT, so they put in flavor text for it. But to punch anyone else is mission failure. This kind of lends more to the theory that lethal force is suppose to be a last resort kind of thing, or at least it's only the first thing you try in levels where you aren't explicitly trying to be sneaky like the levels in the video. What was that message you got on your phone when you punched the bartender? Phelps yelling at you to cut it out?

I will also give them credit for at least putting in the effort of extra dialog for screwing around with the game in various ways, you don't really see that much anymore.

Also those bathroom stalls are segregated just for the purpose of showing you,the player, that a man will go in one stall and a woman in the other. Of course thankfully no other person that has to poop goes into that bathroom the entire time you're doing that mission or things might be a bit awkward.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What was that message you got on your phone when you punched the bartender? Phelps yelling at you to cut it out?

I'm fairly certain it's the bartender telling you to cut that poo poo out before someone sees you acting like a dumbass.
He decides to do this via text message because... ???... ???

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Of course thankfully no other person that has to poop goes into that bathroom the entire time you're doing that mission or things might be a bit awkward.

Imagine if in the gritty HD reboot they put in a random dump mechanic though :allears:.

TieTuesday fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 6, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

even after the text box comes up telling you to stop as well. i thought THAT was the bartender though.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

even after the text box comes up telling you to stop as well. i thought THAT was the bartender though.

Oh I'm not sure then, it might just be Phelps telling you "you're busted you stupid idiot why did you do that jesus christ there is literally no way that was a good idea what are you a child?"

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

TieTuesday posted:

And as a lead-out bonus video from Mission 2, I document which "talk-to-able"(?) NPCs can and cannot be punched legally.

Something about the graphics combined with the noodle arms and the music just makes this whole thing absolutely wonderful. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that they let you vent your frustrations on NPCs, even if it costs you the mission.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
Moving on to post-being captured (remember when that happened???) PAMaster and myself escape an interrogation center and holding cell that a 5-year old could escape.

No seriously though, everyone is so stupid how/why did you all get guard jobs?:shrug:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Hm, i don't know why i remember a maid being in this level. Maybe on Impossible or something?

Speaking of Impossible, i believe there is an extra objective to actually bring down the scaffolding you get away on. Either you have to bring it down manually somehow or it's just not there until you create the distraction but in any case you can fail the mission if you jump out the window and it's not there.

Also also unless TT is going to show it off next video there are multiple distractions in that room you can do, you can mess up that guy on the treadmill, you can push the button on the operating table and send the guy almost up through the ceiling and there might be one more that i'm forgetting but i definitely remember that one.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
Yup, I have that written down on the bonus video list of to-dos. I'll look into the nurse thing possibly but oh gosh I don't want to go through on impossible.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

TieTuesday posted:

Yup, I have that written down on the bonus video list of to-dos. I'll look into the nurse thing possibly but oh gosh I don't want to go through on impossible.

I smell another cheats video! A shame that invinciblity isn't really all that great in this game since it doesn't stop you getting arrested or falling into slime.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I went to a retro game store that's in town, and along the same wall that has things like Pokemon Yellow, fully boxed Neo Geos and the like, I found a gem for you, Tie.

I had to take a quick picture with my phone, since I've been watching this LP.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

KittyEmpress posted:

I went to a retro game store that's in town, and along the same wall that has things like Pokemon Yellow, fully boxed Neo Geos and the like, I found a gem for you, Tie.

I had to take a quick picture with my phone, since I've been watching this LP.

It might be worth a dollar just to experience how it really feels.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Only one copy? All the places that still have N64 games have at least 2 or 3 copies sitting around all the wrestling games.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Only one copy? All the places that still have N64 games have at least 2 or 3 copies sitting around all the wrestling games.

Yeah, only one. A lot of cheap sports games around it though.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, only one. A lot of cheap sports games around it though.

I both know and have owned the game next to that, and played it a ridiculous amount.

I have now come to the realization that I grew up playing most of the games that now cost $2.00 or less in Disc Replays.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If my Dad had his way that game is the only one that we would still have for the N64, he's literally had that game since it launched and has played it all these years until now where he is sadly unable to now. Mostly because he found it relaxing and didn't want to spend the time to learn anything else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You guys need to understand that the Ethan character model is one of the game's strengths. They didn't have the rights to use Tom Cruise's likeness so the model had to look like not Tom Cruise. It's a triumph.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
We are officially getting to the good stuff. Also the part where I need to start editing more.
This is definitely never due to my own incompetence and I blame the game for all of it :colbert:

gently caress helicopters

MassRafTer posted:

You guys need to understand that the Ethan character model is one of the game's strengths. They didn't have the rights to use Tom Cruise's likeness so the model had to look like not Tom Cruise. It's a triumph.

That is totally believable and actually kind of genius :staredog:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I suggest everybody go watch a speedrun of this game and watch how fast they will do the Laser Drop room. Then just wait and see how Tie will do it :v:

Although messing around in that level was one of my favorite things to do when i was younger, seeing from how far up you can drop Ethan when you get caught is pretty funny since the guards shoot you off the rope and they point their guns at you as you fall the whole way, then Ethan gets up like he didn'f just fall flat from 50 feet off the ground.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Although messing around in that level was one of my favorite things to do when i was younger, seeing from how far up you can drop Ethan when you get caught is pretty funny since the guards shoot you off the rope and they point their guns at you as you fall the whole way, then Ethan gets up like he didn'f just fall flat from 50 feet off the ground.

Maybe it was just my copy, but any time someone shot me down, the game almost instantly went to the game over screen, so Ethan would be hurtling towards the ground, and the dude would yell "MOLES SHOU--" and instantly get cut off.

I still have no idea what the heck he was yelling, come to think of it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This was the only Nintendo 64 game I played on an actual console until I dunno 2005 or so. Sickens me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just got around to watching the last two videos, here's a couple things:

1: Lightning man who you have to follow into the elevator has multiple dialogues depending on what you aim at him! :v: The dart gun and the tazer are pretty similar, but if you point the spray can at him, he says something like "are you retarded" and instantly zaps you instead of keeping his arms up.

2: You mentioned the game instantly failing you upon entering the pharmacy, you were right about it being because you had the gun still out, a nurse panics and hits the alarm. It took me months to realize this is what was happening.

3:
Holy poo poo they did NOT give a gently caress.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I really can't wait for the next part, since it's by far the best part of the game.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Singh Long posted:

I really can't wait for the next part, since it's by far the best part of the game.

It's certainly the most memorable. Technically, it's probably the shortest level in the game.

But it isn't.

*EDIT* Please tell me the video for the level is over an hour long, with a rage-quit at the end, so people who never played this get the full experience.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Danaru posted:

3:
Holy poo poo they did NOT give a gently caress.

They did though, that's the amazing thing. This game was in development for I'd guess 3 years since I am pretty sure it was announced in 95 with the initial batch of N64 games. You can tell too, it has the feeling of a launch window game when a lovely developer would have no clue how a 3D action game SHOULD be made since there weren't many examples from competent developers to swipe ideas from yet. They put years of effort into this failure.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

MassRafTer posted:

They did though, that's the amazing thing. This game was in development for I'd guess 3 years since I am pretty sure it was announced in 95 with the initial batch of N64 games. You can tell too, it has the feeling of a launch window game when a lovely developer would have no clue how a 3D action game SHOULD be made since there weren't many examples from competent developers to swipe ideas from yet. They put years of effort into this failure.

You know, now that you say it, it DOES have that feeling of "We really care about this but also we're sort of not at all good at it." Maybe that's why I still can't help but to like the game even despite it being objectively bad. Compare that to a game like, say, Fable 3 or Dragon Age 2, where everyone was clearly decently skilled, but no one really gave enough of a drat to put their hearts into it.

Man, now I actually feel bad for the MI devs :(

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

RickVoid posted:

It's certainly the most memorable. Technically, it's probably the shortest level in the game.

But it isn't.

*EDIT* Please tell me the video for the level is over an hour long, with a rage-quit at the end, so people who never played this get the full experience.

It is longer than a single playthrough of the level by a good deal I can tell you that much for certain.

MassRafTer posted:

I am pretty sure it was announced in 95 with the initial batch of N64 games. You can tell too. They put years of effort into this failure.

Yeah it seems to have a lot of missteps in the basic mechanics, but a lot of really neat ideas otherwise. It was probably too late to change the core mechanics when it would have been obvious they should have.

Also, this was the last game launched before the OCEAN sank!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
AAAAAAAAAAAH I loving LOVED THIS GAME :bubblewoop: :haw: :bubblewoop:

God I am so glad you of all people decide to LP this game, this game is loving hilarious and terrible. I had no idea this was the last game made by Ocean Software but considering they made the Jurassic Park SNES game...yeah.

I'm totally catching up with this now. :D Glad to hear Bearjazz as well it's been a long time since I last heard from him. Also Kid Mode I completely forgot about and it turns the entire game into Team America: World Police.
That is loving beautiful.

MassRafTer posted:

This is actually true, I remember the Nintendo Official Magazine UK actually mentioning this for their review of the game and they said it was "laughing in Tom Cruise's face directly for how blatant the model is".
It's actually quite clever, this game has a lot of weird spots of intelligence compared to the...game, as it were.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 15, 2014

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
Well here we are.

It's time for

:bubblewoop::siren::woop::siren::woop::siren::bubblewoop:MOTHERFUCKING LASERS:bubblewoop::siren::woop::siren::woop::siren::bubblewoop:

I decided to make a cut version of video 7 because we may or may not have laughed uncontrollably for 3 or so minutes at one point.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Brilliant video on all levels guys.

Yo by the way here's how you're suppose to do the laser room instead of laughing like idiots :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmR-qlzhvNU

So it's the levels after the next one where not being able to understand half of the text on screen really starts to mess with you, even with all cheats on so Ethan is an unkillable super fast death god but you can't actually do anything because the game kind of expects you to just quit the mission/kill yourself if you fail the objectives.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Brilliant video on all levels guys.

Yo by the way here's how you're suppose to do the laser room instead of laughing like idiots :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmR-qlzhvNU

So it's the levels after the next one where not being able to understand half of the text on screen really starts to mess with you, even with all cheats on so Ethan is an unkillable super fast death god but you can't actually do anything because the game kind of expects you to just quit the mission/kill yourself if you fail the objectives.

I swear I played this game so many times I remember being able to do that. Probably not quite as quickly at the floor level but I'm pretty sure I was able to make the descent without stopping. Christ kids are stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I know I played these levels, but I don't remember beating any of them. I really love that the plot is so far from the movie at this point that I've forgotten the radiation filled basement of the Embassy and I'm just annoyed at how they've changed the CIA stuff.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I could've sworn that the random guy comes back more often, and that there were two yellow lasers at one section. I remember Do It To It's LP invoked the strategy of only maneuvering around those and just tank the damage from the red ones.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

That...was loving beautiful :allears: I am so glad that everyone else had the same problems I did with that laser section because holy gently caress this.
What really pisses me off the most is the draw distance on the lasers, like you get downwards and then in like SIX INCHES IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE the yellow one suddenly appears.
Like, what the hell, HOW DO YOU gently caress UP DRAW DISTANCE ON A NINTENDO 64
WHEN YOU ALREADY SHOW ALL OF THE loving ROOM GOD DAMMIT

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Singh Long posted:

I could've sworn that the random guy comes back more often, and that there were two yellow lasers at one section. I remember Do It To It's LP invoked the strategy of only maneuvering around those and just tank the damage from the red ones.

We were playing on Impossible, so there might be more yellow lasers in that mode. I can't be bothered to go back and check, though, because gently caress this game.

I didn't know that this was Ocean's last game but it certainly makes sense. Thanks for doing this LP, guys! This one of those games that definitely looks bad when you watch other people play it, but when you play it for yourself you realize it's so much worse than you ever imagined.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

DO IT TO IT posted:

We were playing on Impossible, so there might be more yellow lasers in that mode. I can't be bothered to go back and check, though, because gently caress this game.

I didn't know that this was Ocean's last game but it certainly makes sense. Thanks for doing this LP, guys! This one of those games that definitely looks bad when you watch other people play it, but when you play it for yourself you realize it's so much worse than you ever imagined.

I'm between laughing and yelling the entire time I'm recording the material for the videos. It's just a constant stream of "Oh my god are you loving kidding me".

I went and looked at your LP, and the number of failures per mission kind of gets the point across for lasers pretty drat well. (Spoilers: It is 20 times seriously gently caress the Terminal Room goddamn.)

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

DO IT TO IT posted:

Thanks for doing this LP, guys!

Yo just wanted to clear up real quick I'm not doing jack-poo poo for this LP except talking occasionally I'm leaving all the bullshit mission-running to the sodaman.

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
And we're back! This is a very important video where we answer an incredibly important question.

Followed by the next mission where we shoot at randos in a train station as not-Tom Cruise for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

TieTuesday posted:

And we're back! This is a very important video where we answer an incredibly important question.

Followed by the next mission where we shoot at randos in a train station as not-Tom Cruise for a bit.

You DO realise there was a button that allowed you to switch viewpoints between the TWO snipers you had right? :v:

I am actually certain during the slo-mo part that EVEN THOUGH IT LOOKED LIKE HE TOTALLY HAD A GUN, he was in fact pulling out a delicious Not-Coca Cola(tm) drink from his coat pockets. Because FOR SOME REASON, PEOPLE PUT THEM IN THEIR POCKETS, DRINK THEM, AND PUT THEM BACK IN THEIR POCKETS
dramatically

This mission is both one of the stupidest and yet funniest missions to play because of poo poo like this. I once played this with a friend of mine and SOMEHOW he had an old man with luggage be a shooter. An OLD MAN holding BAGGAGE somehow shooting a gun whilst holding them, it was bizarre as hell.

It could also have been the fact the game does not count an enemy being not innocent until he ACTUALLY HAS THE GUN OUT and pointing, I know the game has bullshit like that too.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread