Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
It's going to be like 100x the cost of pavement and require a lot of parallel tunnels.

So basically you have to pay for the cost of buried lines and the unit installation and then hope it's as durable as they claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i don't understand, it's not like the limiting factor for solar power is a lack of places to put solar panels

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The company estimates 10,000 dollars per 12x12 panel.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

itd be a laff and a half to watch the US try and do this. yeah we farmed a contract out to Halli-Brown & Root and wouldnt you know the roads make cars catch fire and all the power generated goes into a privately owned grid that gets sold back to the city at a %500 mark up. great success.

something like this would unironically be called a great success and used as a case study in the amazing benefits of privatization

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Theoretically you could take the solar power part out and just make them LED/heated tiles to walk on for a driveway to a luxury club.

What ever happened to the less-effective but printable solar stuff?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The company estimates 10,000 dollars per 12x12 panel.

does it say this anywhere? the webpage faq says they don't know (which is worse)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mabels big day posted:

solar FREAKIN' roadways

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
we'll never do this but just imagine all that power generation in a successful system.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

David Copperfield posted:

does it say this anywhere? the webpage faq says they don't know (which is worse)

I guess it doesn't on their site so I don't know where I got that number. Hmmm.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

itd be a laff and a half to watch the US try and do this. yeah we farmed a contract out to Halli-Brown & Root and wouldnt you know the roads make cars catch fire and all the power generated goes into a privately owned grid that gets sold back to the city at a %500 mark up. great success.

you should be a politician

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
A cum receptacle in every home to harness the power of ejaculate for the greater good.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Getting a pretty big Kony 2012 vibe from that video.

The time is NOW!

squelch
Mar 8, 2005

KILL KILL KILL HURR

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't understand, it's not like the limiting factor for solar power is a lack of places to put solar panels

the limiting factor is amassing the requisite rare-earth metals you'd need for fabrication of solar panels

putting some on a roof is one thing, replacing the entire United States Interstate System with them is another.

it's paving the streets with gold, except the stuff is actually rarer than gold

and instead of reliance on foreign oil, you now have reliance on foreign rare-earth metal supplies

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/a_scarcity_of_rare_metals_is_hindering_green_technologies/2711/

edit: three times rarer than gold in some cases

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Yeah, they talk about that in one of their videos about how it'd reduce the heating in cities and stuff due to asphalt.

It's all really quaint and nice but too bad we live in harsh reality.

By how much? Because sand tends to get pretty loving hot too.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like a pretty bad idea

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

gently caress the ROW posted:

Remember how the USA spent all that stimulus money on infrastructure projects and solar and then didn't make any solar panels or fix any roads haha. Good times

Lol did any of this money get used (on infrastructure)?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

I guess it doesn't on their site so I don't know where I got that number. Hmmm.
Have you checked your rear end? Ha. Ha.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Aren't solar panels so costly to produce you'll probably never see an actual return on investment from them? And then you put those expensive, difficult to product devices in a place where tractor trailers will be beating the poo poo out of them constantly?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

I wanna see it not because I don't believe you but because I wanna see it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634306

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives
i think there cool and good and im glad of it

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Think about all the jobs it will create(!!)

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We ought to turn our roads into big slot car tracks imo

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

idk maybe we shhould focus on having roads that arent falling apart before we start implementing stupid poo poo for TED Talk people

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
ill only support this if halliburton gets the contract

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pochoclo posted:

I have a better idea - put a wind turbine on every butt. Farts will make the blades turn and that will generate electricity! Then people just need to plug themselves into the grid - just take the plug and put it in your butt. Then you deliver the electricity and get paid in buttcoins.

who handles the buttplug contract?

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

comes along bort posted:

who handles the buttplug contract?

He answers to the name of "The Humungus".

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

DSauer posted:

Aren't solar panels so costly to produce you'll probably never see an actual return on investment from them? And then you put those expensive, difficult to product devices in a place where tractor trailers will be beating the poo poo out of them constantly?

Depends on where you live but this is really old information and no longer true in most locations. If you have expensive electricity ROI on Solar panels is about 7 years without subsidies and they last ~25. So 18 years of free power. If you get cheap power (7 cents or less per KwH) you probably won't make your money back, though you still might if your energy company works with tiered pricing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
can't we just flatten like, iceland or something and build all the solar panels there?

multivac
Nov 8, 2011

You're a wizard Harry
I had a sorta similar idea when I was high the other day.
I thought about maybe mixing some piezoelectric material and conductive metal dust into the blacktop mix, so it would produce some electricity when expanding and contracting due to heat.
It most likely wouldn't actually work, but the technological process would be so much more feasible than this crap.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Just put solar panels in hoods/trunks/roofs and atop buildings like normal people already do.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Instead of spending retard bux on roads, why not pump funds into real public transit in the states.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
because public transport is for beta bitches and single occupancy vehicles are a god given right just as much as firearms

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

NihilismNow posted:

Depends on where you live but this is really old information and no longer true in most locations. If you have expensive electricity ROI on Solar panels is about 7 years without subsidies and they last ~25. So 18 years of free power. If you get cheap power (7 cents or less per KwH) you probably won't make your money back, though you still might if your energy company works with tiered pricing.
I keep seeing people say this but I have no idea where they're getting those numbers. Here in Northern Europe, total yearly insolation is something like 900kWh/m2. If you could convert that to electricity at 15% efficiency (and you can't) that's 135 kWh/year/m2, which would be worth about €10.80 per m2/year at €0.08/kWh. 25 * 10.8 = a lot less than the price of a square meter of solar panels, let alone installation and the grid-tie equipment. Lorfo at them lasting 25 years too, they start conspicuously losing efficiency after about 5 no matter how clean you keep them.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

psyopmonkey posted:

Instead of spending retard bux on roads, why not pump funds into real public transit in the states.

Because most cities in this country have non-centralized populations that would make "real" public transit pretty much a giant waste?

Lunatics key
Mar 17, 2014

Is America running out of rooftops or something ? Why would we put our magic infinite energy squares under our big heavy moving things ?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Lunatics key posted:

Is America running out of rooftops or something ? Why would we put our magic infinite energy squares under our big heavy moving things ?

Freedom, burgers, boobs, and more freedom.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm not mad about it because it's a dumb "concept" idea that will never actually be built on a scale larger than some nerd's driveway.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I'm Crap posted:

I keep seeing people say this but I have no idea where they're getting those numbers. Here in Northern Europe, total yearly insolation is something like 900kWh/m2. If you could convert that to electricity at 15% efficiency (and you can't) that's 135 kWh/year/m2, which would be worth about €10.80 per m2/year at €0.08/kWh. 25 * 10.8 = a lot less than the price of a square meter of solar panels, let alone installation and the grid-tie equipment. Lorfo at them lasting 25 years too, they start conspicuously losing efficiency after about 5 no matter how clean you keep them.
You have to be especially retarded to go for solar power in loving Northern Europe though. Like, you have to go to Northern Canada/Alaska to find a place as bad as Northern Europe.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 29, 2014

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
I agree but someone really needs to tell the goddamned Germans that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wouldn't it at least be quicker to fix these roads? One of the panels gets super hosed up, you just take it out and slot in a new one? I'm sure it would be insanely expensive, though.

• Locked thread