Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
I think Jasmine and Comfort are both absolutely incredible :shrug: Jasmine definitely outdid Emilio in their routine, though. But I wish Emilio had stayed and Casey had gone. Oh well.

EDIT: VVV Tyce is the absolute worst thing about SYTYCD. His choreography is atonal and obvious, and he always sends his dancers to the bottom. And he always absolutely looks smug as poo poo. He's the worst and I don't know why he's an SYTYCD staple.

Hef Deezy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

KilGrey posted:

I have to second (or is it third or fourth) the Tyce hate. It's not just about his choreo but the fact he's a smug little poo poo as well. You aren't that special.

He is the worst. Usually I don't especially hate his choreo but any time the camera is focused on his face something unpleasant is happening.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wow, just saw an ad that this week (for the first time?) there's a theme, and the theme is Michael Jackson.

Guess Wade Robson isn't coming back anytime soon.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

For some reason they hate everything he does on the show. But these are the same people who want a Russian folk dance and then mock it for years because it wasn't what they expected.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The Russian folk dance was the best thing they ever had on the show, if that was the couple where the guy picked his wife up by the vagina and spun her in circles.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I remember when MJ died and they wanted to do tribute episode to him, but they couldn't get the rights.

Then SYTYCD Canada did one.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
A theme night? I almost feel like I'm watching American Idol, a show I quit watching a long time ago. Between this, the guest singers, and Justin "loving" Bieber, it seems like they must be desperate for ratings. It just feels like they're throwing everything they can think of at the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Well. Looks like Comfort had some mons hubris tonight if you know what I mean.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

loving finally, Tanisha's gone. I'm cool with the final three women.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm a little sad to see Rudy go, but it's not like he was going to win anyway, I guess. On the girls' side, I'm not as invested in that race.

I really liked the routine from Control Freakz, but that might just be because I love Amelie so much, including the soundtrack.

And in other news, contemporary dancer Allison Holker from season 2 is apparently going to be a professional dancer on the next season of Dancing with the Stars? Well okay then.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'm so shocked Rudy/Tanisha left. Holy poo poo. I'm OK with Rudy leaving because he's not really as strong as the others, but Tanisha holy moly. She was the strongest woman left on the show and I assumed the final two would be her and Jessica.

Rudy crying was so sad, though. :( :( :(

Wow, Casey can NOT dance hip-hop.

Ricky is the truth, for real. Goddamn dude.

Gosh Tanisha is so good.

Valerie looked SO awkward. We have a ballroom expert here, right? They have to tell me if that routine was as bad as I thought it looked. It looked REAL bad. REAL awkward.

When you dance with Will, it looks good. Will's dreads. I love it. Great performance from him and Jessica.

Rudy's routine got the standing ovation? Wow. It was just OK to me. Maybe a contemporary poster can school me here.

Will's Broadway was whatever.

Jacque and tWitch was boring.

...! posted:

A theme night? I almost feel like I'm watching American Idol, a show I quit watching a long time ago. Between this, the guest singers, and Justin "loving" Bieber, it seems like they must be desperate for ratings. It just feels like they're throwing everything they can think of at the wall and hoping some of it sticks.
They are desperate for ratings. They're in danger of being cancelled. That being said, Justin Beiber was on for like 4 episode for 2 minutes, max. And they've always had guest singers.

...! posted:

loving finally, Tanisha's gone. I'm cool with the final three women.
You are a bad person.

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 15, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Also I hate to double post but I feel this point needs to be read on it's own: Michael Jackson is amazing and created some fantastic music that will influence many people for a very long time. That being said, this theme handcuffed a lot of the choreographers.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Atticus Finch posted:

I'm so shocked Rudy/Tanisha left. Holy poo poo. I'm OK with Rudy leaving because he's not really as strong as the others, but Tanisha holy moly. She was the strongest woman left on the show and I assumed the final two would be her and Jessica.

Tanisha is good but I feel like the voting public has it in for the Utah ballroom girls, at least over the last few seasons. I almost wonder if the antipathy towards Jenna from last season was part of what did Rudy in this week.

quote:

Valerie looked SO awkward. We have a ballroom expert here, right? They have to tell me if that routine was as bad as I thought it looked. It looked REAL bad. REAL awkward.

She's adorable, but she just doesn't have the emotional maturity. She got lucky with the Bollywood and the cartoony hiphop that she really wasn't exposed early on (and also I assume a legion of little girls voting for her).

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Tanisha is good but I feel like the voting public has it in for the Utah ballroom girls, at least over the last few seasons.
I've never made that connection before but you're right. And they've been some of the best dancers, too. Teenagers!!! :argh:

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
Oh man, I forgot to start watching this until now, so I am marathoning to catch up. I'm up to the top 10 episode.

Thoughts so far:

I really like Zach. I think he's so understated when he's not dancing and he totally transforms when he's dancing. I don't think he'll win because he's so quiet, but I think he's great and sweet.

Ricky is clearly amazing. I had to re-watch that Skin and Bones solo from notVegas week immediately. Though his piece with LoFro was my least favorite of all his so far.

I wish Jaja had made it onto the top 20, she was great. I have trouble telling most of the girls apart. I think I like Jessica.

They have way overplayed the Ricky-Jacque thing, but he's pretty gosh-dang-ding-dong adorable when he's talking about her.

I'm trying to remember my favorite routine so far this season and nothing is standing out whoa to me. Maybe because I've been cramming all the episodes together.

PS: Oh man, Cat Deeley looked killer in that Mara Hoffman dress... yesss.

e: I might also like Zach because he looks like William H. Macy. Also where is Jesse Tyler Ferguson, aka, my favorite judge? Also, I thought that the fact that they had Justin Bieber on the show was friggin' hilarious, half because it's such pandering, half because he was so loving stoned the whole time. What a joke.

e2: I was also bummed that the funky ballerina Amir didn't make it onto the show. I thought she was fab.

e3: lol at the girl who was sure Marcquet was "hip-hop" when he was actually ballroom. Foot in your mouth easier when you're flexy? Though it turns out he is in a hip-hop crew and just is smart enough to play to the odds.

e4: I was also surprised that Trevor Bryce didn't make it. Hope we see him in the future. He had some flair.

fanpantstic fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 20, 2014

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Did anyone watch the show tonight?

What I liked:

Phillip Chbeeb! I knew from following him on Twitter that he was choreographing tonight, and I really liked his routine. Zack surprised me by actually keeping up with Fik-shun. It was funny that I could recognize some of Phillip's "signature moves" in the routine. Although, I wonder if they were waiting Emilio to be voted off before Phillip could choreograph. The timing was a bit odd.

Ricky is just an adorable, talented hobbit. And his solos always have great music. His solo tonight was especially amazing. PluAres his reactions to everything are just great.

The beginning of the 99 Red Balloons routine. I would break every bone in my body if I attempted to do that.

Yay Ricky and Zach are the top 2 guys!

What I didn't like:

The hip hop wedding routine. I love Twitch, but I thought Valerie was a bit weak in that routine, and it was just odd. Plus I had high school flashbacks from hearing that Usher song.

The foxtrot could have been a lot better. They sorta had fake smiles on, and it wasn't as smooth as it should have been.

The "Tokyo nightclub" routine felt like it was the sequel to Mark's routine from last season, with the "strut while the guy's holding my hair" move and the weird costumes.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My thoughts on the episode:

That Broadway, man, with the swing and the Frank Sinatra. Too good.

Casey and Jessica's disco was pretty meh.

The foxtrot was pretty bad.

Valerie's hip hop was mostly good, but you're going to look like crap when you're dancing hip hop next to Twitch.

Jacque dancing with a red exercise ball to 99 Red Balloons was a cheesy concept, but beautifully executed.

The jazz rave routine was not very good for me. I guess it wasn't poorly danced, but I just didn't like it.

Ricky's chacha with Anya was pretty much as good as it gets for a contemporary dancer doing Latin.

The contemporary with Casey and Makenzie was actually quite good. I still don't like Casey though.

By the way, the solos were amazing. I really liked Zack's tap, and Jacque's for the costuming and music choice. I mean, ballet to Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy? Ridiculous!

Zack's Hip Hop with Fik Shun was the dance of the night for me. It's the first dance he did that I really loved, and I'm glad he got into the finale.

I'm pretty miffed that Jacque didn't it to the end. I liked her better than Valerie.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I would have preferred a Valerie/Jaque top two myself. Jessica is not memorable to me. Also I'm miffed I can't vote for that Jaque solo - it was my favorite solo of the night!

Hip hops were good, the broadway was awesome, didn't really like the rave or the 99 red balloons, except for the cool ball stuff at the beginning.

Edit:

Miniature Moose posted:

Although, I wonder if they were waiting Emilio to be voted off before Phillip could choreograph. The timing was a bit odd.

Do Phillip and Emilio have beef with each other or something?

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 21, 2014

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
No no no, there is no beef between them. Emilio and Phillip are really good friends - they dance in the same crew (along with Jaja Vankova, who made it most of the way through Vegas Hollywood Week), work on different projects together, etc. In fact, quite a few of the routines that Phillip has choreographed and put on YouTube has Emilio in them. The producers might have thought it would be biased to have Phillip choreograph for someone he's actively worked with before (and probably after) the show.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Ah yeah, that makes sense.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I remember a long time ago when Chbeeb first expressed desire to choreograph for the show, Nigel said no because his style would be difficult to translate for the show. When I saw Chbeeb in the audience I thought "no way, he's probably there to support..." I'm so glad Nigel went back on his previous position because that was great. It was a two person I.aM.mE routine that was very fun to watch and like MM said, I could see his signature moves. I bet he wanted to choreograph/be his own All-Star with Emilio, though. Still, loving great job by Zach. That must've been so difficult for him to comprehend at first and he gave us that incredible finished product.

I liked Val/Twitch a lot. Tappers that can hip-hop decently. Who knew?

I'm pretty sure I like Jessica/Ade a lot, but I think I just like raver girls a lot. I'll have to rewatch it. Anyway, from what I saw, I liked.

Foxtrot, I dunno. I'll take everyone's word on it.

That Broadway routine was so fun! Oh Ricky/Val...

I'm happy with the top four. If Val left instead of Jacque, that would've been OK as well. This is Ricky's to win.

That opening number would've been awesome with 6 hip-hop dancers that weren't clearly exhausted.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
Zack and Fik-shun! Dang. When Chbeeb was like, "It's an inkblot dance," I was afraid it would be gimmicky and dumb and instead it was awesome and beautiful and hilarious. I flippin' loved it and it is probably the routine that has stood out the most for me for the whole season.

Ricky really held his own cha-cha'ing with Anya. He looked grreat. Plus he can riff about wearing heels and his solo was so very great.

I liked Val and Twitch's hip-hop, but she's not my favorite dancer.

I really, really liked Jacque and Will's 99 Red Balloons, especially the beginning. It was nice to see Jacque open up enough to trust Will and connect with him when they were dancing. Her solo was really pretty, even if it seemed more canned than heartfelt. I am bummed she got cut.

I would love to see Zack win, but Ricky's def got the personality AND the moves.

Yay for dancing! Yay for Jesse Tyler Ferguson next week!!!!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That was good, the right people got into the finale. Although I agree with Nigel on the Ade/Jessica routine. It was trying to be a Mark routine without having any of his crazy insight. It was Good night for hip hop.

Ricky pretty much won from the second week.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
As soon as I saw Val with the walking cane I thought OF COURSE TYCE WOULD

Dude loves to go the easiest route possible for his standing ovations

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
That hip-hop routine was incredible but man I can't even imagine the filthy thing Nigel said that they awkwardly cut to some audience members sitting on their hands.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Atticus Finch posted:

That hip-hop routine was incredible but man I can't even imagine the filthy thing Nigel said that they awkwardly cut to some audience members sitting on their hands.

You could hear the last remnants of the audience's groans at whatever it was. He probably said some crazy British poo poo about Mary's minge or something.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!
I believe Nigel accidentally (purposefully?) gave the middle finger when rubbing his nose.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I just watched last night's episode. What was the deal with that flesh-colored wifebeater Jessica wore under her outfits in a couple of her dances? Is that something that's normally done and I just never noticed it? It was extremely noticeable in her dance in the red dress because it wrinkled in ways that skin doesn't. Once I noticed it, I couldn't pay attention to anything else.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Are you talking about the flesh-colored fabric that is used a lot in dance and ice skating? It's there to keep their dresses on, essentially. They wanted it to look like the Jessica Rabbit dress, but that dress would never have stood up to the dancing, so they add that flesh colored fabric to keep everything G rated.

I think I would be pretty happy with any winner, but I have to say I think Ricky deserves it most.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ah, OK. I'd never seen that before. Personally, I think it looked awful in this instance. It looked like she wasn't wearing a dress but wearing a t-shirt with a dress drawn on it, kinda like those old customes which are basically t-shirts with muscles drawn on them. And those gigantic shoulder straps...

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
Travis Wall! Robert Roldan! Jesse Tyler Ferguson! Aaron Turner! Aaaaaaah....

Those poor dancers must be exhausted.

I absolutely loved Jessica and Robert's dance. I couldn't tear my eyes away. Man, Travis Wall has an exceptional skill for moving bodies together seamlessly and a deep well of relationship angst. Gosh dang beautiful. Rewatching x 2.

Ricky, I want him to win. He's exceptional. Just big genuine emotion.

I also liked the hip-hop (dddddang), the afro-jazz and the broadway.

:allears: Robert Roldan.

ps: I'm also going to rewatch that Aaron and Jasmine saloon hip-hop now, thx.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I have a soft spot for Zach. I lOVED his and Aaron's routine. His solo was also slick as hell. I'd be happy if he wins.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Zach is definitely peaking at the right time. If all you looked at was these finale dances, it'd be a pretty close race. But overall, it's Ricky's to lose.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Ricky is (and has been for a while) the obvious 'best'. But Zack is my favourite.

From the girls I don't think I'd have had either Jessica or Valerie as my top two. But several of my favourite girls went out too early for me to really say who my top girls were.

Really good group of dancers this year, though probably less standy-out stand out moments than we've had in the past.

Solos have mostly been a bit meh.

Also re Robert Roland, he seems like a completely different dude to how I remember him as a contestant. Great dancer, but I remember him being a bit awkward/weird/nerdy. Now its like he's been to the same School of 'emotional-enchanting-yet simultaneously totally vacant' that taught Karthryn everything she knows.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
The best routines of the night were the Zack/Ricky hip hop and the Zack/Aaron tap. The hip hop was intense and hard, and the tap was great story telling.

To me, it's definitely between Ricky and Zack. I would be really happy if either of those two won. Ricky has killed it every single week, and Zack has grown a whole lot this season. It was interesting to see that Zack almost didn't make it to Hollywood Week. I still would have liked to see Emilio in the top 4 (For me all season, I was gunning for Ricky and Emilio to be the top 2 guys), but it is what it is. I think Jessica has also grown a lot this season, and I've never really cared for Valerie. She's never really stood out to me.

Ricky still has the best taste in music when it comes to his solos.

Ricky still has the best reactions to things, like when he heard Jesse Tyler Ferguson's little chant to him. Dear lord, I was practically dying from laughter when that happened, especially when Ricky started hiding in his shirt.

Nigel getting smacked in the face by Cat was hilarious.

Where the hell is the Bollywood fusion group that won their prelim round back during the audition episodes? Are they performing at the finale?

The opening group routine was beautiful.

One thing that I would have loved for them to do was that during top 10 week, have each dancer pair up with a winner from the previous 10 seasons. But apparently there was a lot of drama during Season 3 (does anyone know why?), and according to Mary's AMA from last week, she hasn't heard from Sabra in years.

EDIT: Just a thought - I'm sad that competition is essentially over, because I would have loved to see Ricky and Billy Bell do a routine together. God, just imagine how that would look.

Miniature Moose fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 2, 2014

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Wait, they're doing one winner this season? I thought they determined that that just screws the guys over.

Edit: Maybe they can only afford one prize this year. This isn't giving me hope for a new season.

Edit 2: I think I'm right about the guys being in the bottom two. When Zack was eliminated, Cat specifically stated that he was in fourth place but with Jessica, she just said it was time for Jessica to go. It seems pretty clear that they're trying to obfuscate both girls being the top two.

So based off of that, Valerie's almost surely a lock for this. I'd be pretty amazed if Ricky won, given how the eliminations have been handled.

...! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 4, 2014

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

...! posted:

Wait, they're doing one winner this season? I thought they determined that that just screws the guys over.

Edit: Maybe they can only afford one prize this year. This isn't giving me hope for a new season.

I think they already confirmed another season on twitter.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

...! posted:

So based off of that, Valerie's almost surely a lock for this. I'd be pretty amazed if Ricky won, given how the eliminations have been handled.

Haha, shows what I know.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Ok, I'm a little behind and I just watched the top 4 performance episode. I've been on board with this show since day one, and that was the best single episode I can remember. I couldn't even pick out a highlight. I mean...Jesus Christ. I'm exhausted.

I'm definitely gonna need an explanation for that odd cut after the Ricky/Zack routine though. Was it the middle finger? What the hell did he say?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Nigel said something very sexually inappropriate, that's why the cut was there.

Ricky wins! Good for him. What a good season!

• Locked thread