Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

ChampRamp posted:

Cubs wanted Flaherty in the second round. Cards took him at 34 and probably won't overslot him and he'll go to college.

The draft.

God knows this could change in the next few minutes but I think between the Weaver pick and a couple of the guys still left on the board at 34, the Cards are intending to pay up to pull Flaherty away from UNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

gyroball posted:

God knows this could change in the next few minutes but I think between the Weaver pick and a couple of the guys still left on the board at 34, the Cards are intending to pay up to pull Flaherty away from UNC.

And there is the underslot with Morales

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
People actually really like the Alex Jackson pick for the Mariners. It's crazy he fell that far to them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros drafted Derek Fisher, I hate him immediately

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

The Astros drafted Derek Fisher, I hate him immediately

Hmph. Best case is he becomes super amazing and makes everyone forget the other Derek Fisher exists. :mad:

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Also Kudos for predicting the Sean Reid-Foley pick.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The Pirates sure are drafting baseball players y'all.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

How is Spencer Adams at baseball? At basketball he's (apparently) pretty awesome and also dead https://twitter.com/Ecnerwal23/status/474751361696157697/photo/1

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Cardinals drafted 4 RHP last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__jiz18l84U

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Yankees drafted a reliever? Okay I guess.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don't see how the Brewers will manage to sign the top 3 guys they picked but I like how they are swinging for the fences. If they somehow manage to sign all three and with the big international signing of Lara, that would be a great influx of talent. Oh plus Wang in the Rule 5 draft from the Pirates.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 6, 2014

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
RHP Scott Blewett, y'all

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Crion posted:

RHP Scott Blewett, y'all

He will *not* be a closer.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Yankees drafted a reliever? Okay I guess.

A fast-track to the majors college reliever is a perfectly fine pick at 55

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Groucho Marxist posted:

Oh I'm sure

Well I was after I looked him up

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I mean if you get something out of a #55 pick, especially under the new CBA, you've probably done well.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Hand Row posted:

I don't see how the Brewers will manage to sign the top 3 guys they picked but I like how they are swinging for the fences. If they somehow manage to sign all three and with the big international signing of Lara, that would be a great influx of talent. Oh plus Wang in the Rule 5 draft from the Pirates.

I'm pretty iffy on them being able to sign Harrison because of his football commit, but I think they have a pretty good chance at Gatewood and Medeiros seems like a sure thing at 12 slot money. And yeah, I'm glad the Brewers are taking risks rather than just going for safe picks who end up as decent-as-best prospects.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'm really interested to see what the Cubs do today. I imagine most casual fans that happen to thumb through any articles on the draft today will see the words "Kyle Schwarber" and "under-slot" and immediately come to the conclusion that "goddamn that Ricketts is a cheap bastard".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Well, their success as an org seems to be their ability to call up Solid White Guy Pitchers from the minors in infinite quantities, so that sounds about right.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

DeepDickPizza posted:

I'm really interested to see what the Cubs do today. I imagine most casual fans that happen to thumb through any articles on the draft today will see the words "Kyle Schwarber" and "under-slot" and immediately come to the conclusion that "goddamn that Ricketts is a cheap bastard".

Well...he is?

Like, the Cubs got cute with Schwarber assuming Flaherty would be there in the second round, he wasn't, and now they're going super-cheap probably do some some stuff in IFA or whatever. If your draft strategy is predicated on one clear 1st round talent falling to the middle of the second round for signability (so you can haggle with HIM over worth based on his own depressed slot) and when he's not there you just blow it all up and keep going super-cheap, you're clearly prioritizing money over talent, and there's only a few reasons to do that outside of having another back-up plan: you're spending as little money as possible as efficiently as possible so Cubs fans can ooh and aah over your Fiscal Responsibility, or the guy upstairs has put some restrictions on you.

edit: they just went with Carson Sands, actually, who could be the guy they spend some of that saved money on (though he's like a clear plan C or D in terms of prospect quality here)

Crion fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 6, 2014

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Twinkie Town is flipping out over all the relievers, but yesterday someone defended the Burdi pick. Have the Twins gone crazy or are they picking even semi-decently?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

Twinkie Town is flipping out over all the relievers, but yesterday someone defended the Burdi pick. Have the Twins gone crazy or are they picking even semi-decently?

Groucho Marxist posted:

I can't imagine it's all that different at 46 or wherever they picked.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Crion posted:

Well...he is?

Like, the Cubs got cute with Schwarber assuming Flaherty would be there in the second round, he wasn't, and now they're going super-cheap probably do some some stuff in IFA or whatever. If your draft strategy is predicated on one clear 1st round talent falling to the middle of the second round for signability (so you can haggle with HIM over worth based on his own depressed slot) and when he's not there you just blow it all up and keep going super-cheap, you're clearly prioritizing money over talent, and there's only a few reasons to do that outside of having another back-up plan: you're spending as little money as possible as efficiently as possible so Cubs fans can ooh and aah over your Fiscal Responsibility, or the guy upstairs has put some restrictions on you.

edit: they just went with Carson Sands, actually, who could be the guy they spend some of that saved money on (though he's like a clear plan C or D in terms of prospect quality here)

Or maybe they just think these players will move through the system quickly so the team can get better sooner? I'm not going to defend not taking the best player available in round one and I don't think that they had the best plan but this draft pool does kind of suck and I don't think the organization that has outspent just about everyone else on the draft and amateur IFA front over the last 2 years has suddenly decided to go cheap on this end of things based only on financial reasons.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 6, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tadashi posted:

Or maybe they just think these players will move through the system quickly so the team can get better sooner? I'm not going to defend not taking the best player available in round one and I don't think that they had the best plan but this draft pool does kind of suck and I don't think the organization that has outspent just about everyone else on the draft and amateur IFA front over the last 2 years has suddenly decided to go cheap on this end of things based only on financial reasons.

Does a dude who will probably have to play 1B if he can play anywhere moving through the system quickly really help them that much? They already have someone locked up there forever.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

I can't imagine it's all that different at 46 or wherever they picked.

That was my defense in mind, but then they went HAM and picked three in a row. My guess, knowing the Twins, they'll try at least one as a starter. Also, Clay was supposedly a reach but that was based on a single source. I dunno, I'm cool with Deron Johnson so I'm only second guessing the picks because of a lack of diversity, not because I think the process is inherently bad.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The Cubs aren't one of the teams expected to go nuts in IFA this year. I think their plan was get a guy like Flaherty or Justus Sheffield and try to buy them out and grab more HS arms but whoops.

e: Did they get hit with the 100k limit thing?

leokitty fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 6, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Cardinals finally don't take a RHP! It's a LHP

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

tadashi posted:

If they were drafting a player at 4 who will move through the system quickly and address the present needs of the team as it is constructed, you'd think they'd have gone Nola instead considering they need quality young pitching yesterday.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Eh. I don't hate the Cubs draft strategy so far. I think they probably wanted Flaherty in the second round, but I'm sure they have a backup plan to spend the rest of that money saved by under slotting on Schwarber. Some of it will hopefully go to Sands and then I think they'll go hard tomorrow and try to spend the rest of it on hard to sign HS guys. Taking the safe thing and picking up a solid bat at a position of need who's likely to sign under-slot, when there's no clear BAP on the board, seems like a decent strategy to me.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

leokitty posted:

The Cubs aren't one of the teams expected to go nuts in IFA this year. I think their plan was get a guy like Flaherty or Justus Sheffield and try to buy them out and grab more HS arms but whoops.

e: Did they get hit with the 100k limit thing?

Yeah, they owed $8M in bonuses and another $2M+ in penalties to MLB after last season so they're under the $250k cap (or w/e it is) this season.

I just meant I don't think their strategy is financial based (unless we learn something new down the line) other than they were saving that money for round 2 which wasn't a very good plan and, after Flaherty was gone, maybe they just went with a riser who they thought might move quickly through the system. I'm not very pleased with this draft and they probably would have been better off taking Nola, or someone, with their first pick.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 6, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros drafted Brock Dykxhoorn

That'll be fun to watch people pronounce

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Indians have signed Justus Sheffield to a 1.6M bonus plus the value of his Vandy scholarship. That was quick.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Newbie question: This is the first time I've seriously watched a draft. Is it not as important as I've been led to believe? All I've seen is fans hoping their team picks a franchise cornerstone, and MLB shilling it with the usual pomp.

But, there's no international players here. You might find the next McCutchen or Braun here, but if your scouting talent abroad is good enough, saying things like "Oh my god we drafted a pitcher in the first round and not a shortstop we're doomed" seems really hyperbolic.

Is the US developmental system that much better than, say, Latin America? Or is it just that having opinions about Venezuelans etc is hard?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Congrats to the Tigers for drafting Joey Pankake.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

zakharov posted:

Congrats to the Tigers for drafting Joey Pankake.

This is the best June the Tigers have ever had!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Has Handsome Monica not found a home yet? I haven't followed very closely.

Quite excited about the Joey Pankake news though, and Brock Dykxhoorn was one I wasn't even aware of.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

No Safe Word posted:

Has Handsome Monica not found a home yet? I haven't followed very closely.

Quite excited about the Joey Pankake news though, and Brock Dykxhoorn was one I wasn't even aware of.

Monica has not found a home, which is sad because he's very nice

and handsome

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

tadashi posted:

I just meant I don't think their strategy is financial based (unless we learn something new down the line) other than they were saving that money for round 2 which wasn't a very good plan and, after Flaherty was gone, maybe they just went with a riser who they thought might move quickly through the system. I'm not very pleased with this draft and they probably would have been better off taking Nola, or someone, with their first pick.

So the options are that the Cubs were either cheap or they were stupid.

I guess they did need a lefty bat at some point. And they apparently think he can play one of the corner outfield spots.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

I guess they did need a lefty bat at some point. And they apparently think he can play one of the corner outfield spots.

I have enough trust in TheoJed that they at least have the scouting down and he can stick in an OF corner because if he's confined to 1B it's a waste of a pick. The 4th slot blew more than Jeff Hamilton's elbow so I get the strategy, even of it didn't go as planned. I just hope plan B works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
While I don't specifically wish the Cubs ill, I will say I'm looking forward to the days when I never have to see a sentence start "I have enough trust in TheoJed that" again

• Locked thread