Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'm really interested to see what the Cubs do today. I imagine most casual fans that happen to thumb through any articles on the draft today will see the words "Kyle Schwarber" and "under-slot" and immediately come to the conclusion that "goddamn that Ricketts is a cheap bastard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Eh. I don't hate the Cubs draft strategy so far. I think they probably wanted Flaherty in the second round, but I'm sure they have a backup plan to spend the rest of that money saved by under slotting on Schwarber. Some of it will hopefully go to Sands and then I think they'll go hard tomorrow and try to spend the rest of it on hard to sign HS guys. Taking the safe thing and picking up a solid bat at a position of need who's likely to sign under-slot, when there's no clear BAP on the board, seems like a decent strategy to me.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

ChampRamp posted:

Wait, you think the Cubs had a good draft? Don't make me internet yell at you.

I think the Cubs had a really solid draft. The consensus top 3 picks (all pitchers) were off the board, so they took what they considered the top bat (at a position of need, to boot). There were a few guys who could be considered the top bat, demonstrating the lack of a sure-thing after the first three picks. They'll hopefully use the savings from drafting Schwarber in the first round to lock up a bunch of tough-sign pitchers that they drafted in the subsequent rounds.

When you can't get a shot at one of the three "sure thing" pitchers, using your slot money wisely to try and lock up a whole bunch of high-upside arms seems like a great strategy. I fail to see what's not to like about the Cubs' draft. There's not exactly a "wow" pick, but there's a ton of guys with a lot of upside.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I highly doubt Schwarber sticks at catcher, but if there's even a slight chance of it, that has to add a little bit of value, from the Cubs perspective. Anyway, all indications are that they hope he can play LF and Zagunis is the real option to stick behind the plate, but it doesn't hurt to at least try and keep him at the position when there's such a dearth of good catchers in the Cubs' pipeline. And if worse comes to worse and he ends up at first, oh well, he seems like a solid enough bat that he should be moveable in a trade.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Ok then.

• Locked thread