Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Any pitcher a team drafts now will usually be several years away from the majors unless they're an ultra-polished college pitcher, and teams always need more pitching because it's hard to fill a rotation.

I also think saying a team that employs Tim Lincecum in the year 2014 isn't starving for quality starting pitching would be a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

ChampRamp posted:

If Nola goes 3, Rodon to the Cubs :vince:

Watch as they take Nick Gordon anyway

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Chexoid posted:

Haha dude already has TJS. Just nip that in the bud.

Also he has zero leverage because of the surgery so Toronto can lowball him

it was really the ideal pick for them

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Chexoid posted:

Trade him for a fat Dominican who only hits dingers.

I hear the Rangers have a catcher with great power they're looking to get rid of

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Apparently no one at MLB network bothered to check and see that Dustin Pedroia was a 2nd round pick

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
You've just been compared to Dan Uggla how do you feel about that

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Red Sox strategy this year is to draft Michaels

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Well, the Cubs just took a college senior pitcher in the 2nd round, so I doubt they were saving money for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Newbie question: This is the first time I've seriously watched a draft. Is it not as important as I've been led to believe? All I've seen is fans hoping their team picks a franchise cornerstone, and MLB shilling it with the usual pomp.

But, there's no international players here. You might find the next McCutchen or Braun here, but if your scouting talent abroad is good enough, saying things like "Oh my god we drafted a pitcher in the first round and not a shortstop we're doomed" seems really hyperbolic.

Is the US developmental system that much better than, say, Latin America? Or is it just that having opinions about Venezuelans etc is hard?

most international players sign at age 16 and are scouted years before that, so they're basically impossible to project because they're not fully grown human beings

• Locked thread