Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Tigers are going to draft Nick Burdi and call him up to the majors ASAP

Rumor is now it'll be Brendan Finnegan which is even crazier since he's a TCU guy and needs some rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

MourningView posted:

Most people (or at least a decent number) seem to think he's better anyway so is this really a big deal?

The Marlins/Rodon thing is a big deal because it's an ownership move for a dumb reason (Cuban!!!) even if he is a good pick there. The baseball ops people allegedly want a bat and baseball ops and ownership fighting is always fun. See also: Mets.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Emanuel Collective posted:

So Baseball America suggested the Cubs might take Kyle Schwarber based entirely on financial reasons, not because he's the best player available. Cool!

That is definitely the reason they took him, he is good but in a 15-20th pick of the draft type way.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Whoa the Mariners actually picked a high schooler. Alex Jackson is a catcher but will probably be moved to the outfield because of his size / health reasons. Pure swing or something like that.

They announced him as an OF so he is no longer a catcher I am guessing :v:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Knowing Loria, I'm betting Boras' demands for Rodon scared him off. He loves to cheap out on the draft.

Yeah after they dropped the "We want $6mil" thing the rumbles about that started.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Beede is a great pick for the Giants. They develop pitchers better than anyone and he needs the TLC they'll give him.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Hart is king of the dumb comps, I would just ignore any he makes.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Pirates are about to draft Cole Tucker apparently. Megareach.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

yeah, ranked #67th and they took him at #24. Geez.

Is that where MLB has him ranked because everyone else has him significantly lower than that. He's 84th with BA, 99th with Scout, and PG is getting slammed with now but he's in that same area with them.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Zythrst posted:

It's the baseball draft, I wouldn't jump off 446 bridges just yet.

Even in the baseball draft huge reaches are stupid because you're counting on talent being available later that might not be and probably isn't comparable to the first round.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Zythrst posted:

Hah the A's did the same thing more or less.

It's been known the A's were looking at Chapman in that spot for a while.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Gatewood at 41 is cool for the Brewers

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Cubs aren't one of the teams expected to go nuts in IFA this year. I think their plan was get a guy like Flaherty or Justus Sheffield and try to buy them out and grab more HS arms but whoops.

e: Did they get hit with the 100k limit thing?

leokitty fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 6, 2014

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Harlock posted:

Fun with names

In the 29th Round, the New York Yankees select RHP Mariano Rivera

It's his son :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Cubs announced him as not a catcher so don't even waste time speculating about Schwarber at catcher.

• Locked thread