Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
pre:
I. THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD

APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding	 
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing	 
Memory and desire, stirring	 
Dull roots with spring rain.	 
Winter kept us warm, covering	         
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding	 
A little life with dried tubers.

pre:
“We as  Guard offer all that we are to protect  the sanctity of our species, the 
freedom of  our kin, and  the honor of our ancestors. With knowledge, sword, and 
shield, we do these deeds, never putting a lone mouse above the needs of all, or 
the desire of self above another. 

We strive for no less than to serve the greatest good.”

- The Guard’s Oath
It is the Spring of 1150, the Winter of ‘49 is still a recent memory and the scars on the land and the mice who dwell there are many. The Mouse Guard and the mice of the Territories were successful in driving back the Weasels of the Darkheather, but only just. It is a wounded place, and many good Guardmice were lost in the war.

Yet always, there is hope. That is the eternal promise of spring every year. A new beginning, a new year, life returning as the frozen earth thaws and fresh shoots press forth. So it is with the Guard. New Tenderfoot recruits poured following the victory, those too young to participate in the war proper. At the same time, during the fighting many were pushed through the ranks. It is a time of newcomers and new veterans, and as the late winds of March give rise to the showers of April, we find Lockhaven a bustle of activity. It has been a long winter, and the place has served as shelter, fortress, refugee camp, and heart of war for the mice of the territories.

Now it was time for many to go home.

The ranks of the Mouse Guard swelled with recruits pressed in from the Territorial armies and militia, now most of these were released. Many were taking their own families back to home steadings as the first real thaw of a late winter opens the roads to travel once more. The great vaulted hall of Lockhaven, only weeks ago home to hundreds of refugees, is now a hive of activity as the visitors prepared for the long walk home. It is an expectant, almost hopeful air tinged with a certain subtle melancholy.

It would be a long walk home, after all.

And what would still be there when they returned?

pre:
What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow	 
Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
You cannot say, or guess, for you know only	 
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,	 
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,	 
And the dry stone no sound of water. Only	 
There is shadow under this red rock,	
(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),	 
And I will show you something different from either	 
Your shadow at morning striding behind you	 
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;	 
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Far from Lockhaven, far from safety and the ancient walls, thunder rolls. Lightning cuts the slate gray sky in half as rain pours down in unrelenting torrents. Spring has arrived, and with it chaotic weather. Four mice are caught in the open, a long patrol returning from delivering mail and showing the cloak a bit. Lockhaven is miles away, an eternity if the weather continues as it lies. Another boom of thunder hits the open plains like a hammer on an anvil.

Too far from any settlement. Nearly too dark to navigate.

One thing became clear.

Find shelter, or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Red Roderick

Roderick pushes his cloak aside as the quickening breeze pulls at it, bracing himself with his halberd as he peers into the darkness and swirling wind. He turns to the others, shouting to be heard. "We need to find high ground!"

"Walmund! Look in that direction! Wait for another lightning flash, look for anything we can use as shelter. I'll watch the other way."

Goal: Get the patrol to safety.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 30, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Innes

pre:
Name: Innes
Home: Barkstone
Fur: Grey
Cloak: Ashy green

Parents: Carson (deceased) and Deidre
Artisan: Sawyer the Baker
Mentor: Guard Captain Holme (deceased)
Enemy: Patrol Leader Arthur
Friend: Graham of Barkstone

Nature: 4
Will: 4
Health: 4 
Resources: 4
Circles: 3

Fate: 1
Persona: 1

Belief: What you fight for doesn't matter, so long as you fight
Instinct: Never back down when others are in danger
Goal: To not be the last one to die in this storm

Skills

Baker		2
Carpenter	3
Cook		3
Deceiver 	2
Fighter		4
Hunter		5
Scout		2
Survivalist	2

Predator-wise, War-wise, Darkheather-wise

Traits: Steady Paw, Fearless

Gear: Axe (+1s after successful attack, -1D to Defend or Feint)
Bow (Attack against Attack is versus, independent to Maneuver, 
+2D to Maneuver against normal, spear or thrown weapons, +1D to Attack vs Defend rolls)
Bag of nails
Copper pan
Flint and striker

(Naturally talented: Cook)
(Parents' trade: carpenter)
(Convince people: Deceiver)
(Apprentice: Baker)
(Mentor: Fighting)
(Specialty: Hunter)
(Nature: Saves for winter, stands her ground, doesn't fear predators = 4)
(Resources: Practice a trade [Cooking], Pack carefully = 5)
(Circles: Great task, special snowflake penalty = 3)
Innes blinks languidly inside the cowl of her cloak, weathering the torrent and the thunderstrike with equal apathy. She watches the patrol leader and tenderpaw scrabble around for a bit, then makes to follow them. She doesn't spare a glance toward Millicent.

Our best bet may be Gorbash to roll Survivalist. I believe we can all aid on that in one capacity or another.

Winson, you want Goals yet?

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 30, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

A short term prologue goal is fine, it will help with the RP and directing you and suchlike. For now it can be GET MY TEAM THROUGH THIS ALIVE or NOT LOOK LIKE A WUSS IN FRONT OF THE BOSS or WOW ONE OF THE OTHER MICE WITH WHAT A RAD GUY I AM or whatever.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Walmund's whiskers twitch as he gazes out into the approaching storm. As the voice of his mentor cuts through the rumbling thunder he snaps to attention. "Yes sir!" The young mouse intently searches for shelter in the rapidly darkening forest. "Sir, can we maybe find cover in the roots of a tree?"

Goal: prove myself to my new mentor.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Millicent

"Don't stray too far apart," the eldest of the four shouts over the sound of the torrential rain! Her cloak whips around wildly, both paws dedicated to remaining firmly gripped around a worn greatsword wedged in a small grouping of rocks to momentarily help her keep her bearings. An improvised walking-stick for coping with a particularly furious gust of wind.

Goal: To keep everyone together.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Rain blasts down in a deluge; small streams are beginning to form. It had been a dry winter and cold, the ground is still hard and would be some time in drinking this new bounty in. The prospect of a flash flood suddenly loomed large. A quick look around shows a treeline to the south, pine mostly but there was a likely looking oak that might give shelter. To the west is a rocky escarpment, the overhang might well have a more durable shelter as well. Both might well have other hazards, this weather would drive anything larger than a beetle into whatever den they might find.

Gonna run this as a sample conflict! Since there are four mice, one will rotate out each round. You can figure it out for yourselves.

Journey Conflict! Storm Disposition starts at 7, your leader should roll PATHFINDER and add it to base Health for your dispo. I have set the storms three actions for the first round, so you guys act appropriately. To take your action write out whatever RP poo poo you are doing and make it interesting! Remember to take checks against traits if you want to generate checks and suchlike. Also while for journey Attack and Feint are Pathfinder and Defend/Maneuver are Weather Watcher or Survivalist, I am cool with interesting and well roleplayed uses for the other skills if you want. We are a flexible empire. If you like, someone can make a storm-wise or weather-wise or spring-wise or other related roll to get a hint of what the storm is gonna do.

STORM GOAL: Soak you guys and make you sad and ruin your poo poo.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 2, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Red Roderick

Roderick clambers up onto a small stone to look at the two options. He raises a paw to shield his eyes from the rain, cloak whipping in the wind behind him as lightning turns the plains noon-bright for a moment. He doesn't consider long, immediately making a decision purely on gut feeling. The wind tries to steal his words as he shouts down to the others, "Make for the escarpment! A storm this strong will send branches flying, but stone won't uproot!"

Disposition is 5 (4 Health +1s from Pathfinder). Incorporated my Leader trait but no love there.
[20:04] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 11 = 3d6(2,6,3)
[20:11] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 2 = 1d6(2)

For simplicity's sake, I'll rotate out this round since I got to roll disposition.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Millicent

Three blinding flashes and the immediate staccato pops of thunder sound overhead! Millicent ducks low out of habit, eyes warily peering heavenward as the thunder echoes towards the horizon. The oldfur is forced to shout over the roar of the falling rain, "the storm's directly overhead!"

A gust of wind drives down another deluge, the oldfur grips her sword tightly to aid in withstanding the assault! After the sheet of rain reaches its destination, Millicent dislodges her sword and makes to close the ground that had widened between her and her companions, herding them in the direction Roderick had motioned in the process. She agreed with his decision, if only because high trees, unlike low stone, attracted lightning. The second sheet of falling rain catches her off-guard! Driving her blade into the muddy earth to hold on, a sharp wind catches her cloak and pulls the Guard Captain's paws from her sword! But before she gets thrown to the ground, she manages to recover her grip. First one hand, then the other. She looks around to take stock of her peers once more, just in time to be blinded by another nearby bolt of lightning!

Since I'm posting first, then I guess I'll go ahead and set the party's goal.

PARTY GOAL: Get to shelter and wait for the storm to gently caress off.

MILLICENT'S ACTION: Maneuver - Weather-Watcher (3) But since she's kind of using it like a walking stick, I am applying her sword's Useful trait to +1D for Maneuvers.

Maneuver Versus rear end in a top hat Storm 4d - 1, 1, 4, 5: 2 Successes!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The storm hits hard, and Millicent manages to lead the team a few yards into the lee of a fallen log. It would not be shelter for long with the way the storm was going, but for the moment it was clear of the driving rain and screaming wind. A chance to think, a moment to breathe.

Works for me, if there is a smoother way to run conflicts in PBP I am open, but if all three people put in and then went, that would rule. I can do one offs too, I reckon?

STORM ACTION: ATTACK (vs. test) [09:34] <+Morphball> WinsonPaine: 17 = 6d6(6,3,2,3,1,2) - Storm loses at a margin of 1, -1D to next action. Deadking or gnoll is up

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Walmund

I'm still trying to get a handle on the system, so let me know if I've done something wrong.

Walmund catches his breath in the fragile shelter. Any feeling of respite is brief as the storm's winds mercilessly tear at the log. Rainwater all too quickly flows into the group's temporary shelter. Walmund shudders at the prospect of drowning in this rotting log. They had to get moving again, and there was little time to spare. Taking a deep breath and wiping the water from his brow, the young mouse sticks his head out of the log and waits for the next lightning strike. When the next bolt lights up the dark sky, he desperately for a safe route through the forest floor. Walmund smiles with relief when he finds a well-covered path to the rocky slope.

"Quickly, this way!" he shouts over the storm. Walmund scampers out of the log and beckons the others to follow him. Whether the tenderpaw's confidence would be matched by success remained to be seen...

WALMUND'S ACTION: Attack - Pathfinder (3).

Attack versus Storm 3d : 6, 6, 6; 3 successes.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Breaking cover, the group scampers for the treeline. The wind picks up, and a great wet leaf smacks into Walmund. The young mouse is sent sprawling into the mud, rising from the muck soaked to the skin and covered in filth. Still, they are almost halfway there. The rocky escarpment is holding up well against the weather, and even from here it looks like there are some small caves set higher in the rock.

STORM ACTION: ATTACK (Independent Test) Storm gets 2 Sux
Storm Disposition: 4/7
Group Disposition: 3/5

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 4, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Innes

Innes grabs the tenderpaw by the scruff of his neck and hauls him to his feet. She scampers up the escarpment past Walmund, axe unslung. Snakes, weasel-kind, and worse could be in those caves. But possible death in there versus certain, ignominious death out here wasn't a choice.

The patrol guard leads the way into a likely-looking cave.

Maneuver (Survivalist) - 1 success. Blech.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Almost there. The sound of running water can be heard now, puddles joining together to make streams. This was flash flood territory.

STORM ACTION: MANEUVER (Independent Test) Storm BRICKS. Storm will be -1D for first action of next round.

ROUND TWO - Storm Elects to Continue without surrender.
Storm Disposition: 4/7
Group Disposition: 3/5

Actions?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm willing to rotate out this round unless someone else wants to.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

If Walmund is sitting out this go-around, since Millicent's best option is to Maneuver again, it might be best of Roderick went first with the Pathfinding while the storm is at -1. Then Millicent can Maneuver, and then perhaps that can buy more storm minus dice for Innes to try make the most out of things? Thoughts?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Innes has poo poo-all for this test, but I can aid pretty much everyone.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Red Roderick

"We need to get higher!" Roderick let the others get ahead on the way over to the escarpment, in case any needed aid along the way, but now he leaps to the fore, clambering up the slope. At first it seems like he's found a dead end, but then he hops and swings his halberd, catching it on an outcropping higher up. It catches, and Roderick puts his weight on it, hoping its set properly so they can use it as a ladder to safety.

Let's attack with Pathfinder!
[21:50] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 7 = 3d6(1,1,5)
Well, there's a success.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Millicent

The senior mouse makes steady progress, continuing to brace herself with her sword, doing her best to keep an eye on the others while the storm continues to batter away the small band of mice! Reaching the bottom of where the Patrol Leader selected to scale the outcropping she remains the last of the four to climb up. Walmund's safety she saw as paramount, so apparently did the terse Innes, but the Guard Captain didn't look like she would brook any argument under the current circumstances.

MILLICENT'S ACTION: Defend - Weather Watcher (3)

Defending against the Storm 3d - 6, 6, 1: 2 Successes!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The clouds darken.

Thunder rolls.

Roderick pushes hard up the rock, while Millicent directs and leads. The storm seems to hold, if only for a moment. Yet it looks as if it is gathering for a massive blow!

STORM ACTION: FEINT, Attack uncontested - 1 sux
STORM ACTION: FEINT, Defend uncontested, +2 Party Dispo

Storm Disposition: 3/7
Group Disposition: 5/5

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Deadking, go for it. Roll an extra die for Innes helping you via Survivalist.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

grassy gnoll posted:

Deadking, go for it. Roll an extra die for Innes helping you via Survivalist.

Post IC to aid goofus!

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Walmund

Walmund clambers up his mentor's halberd, scrabbling his way up onto the rocky outcropping. Wiping the mud from his face, he gazes up into the sky. Walmund's eyes widen as he sees the worst of the storm about to come down upon them. Although soaked, muddy, and out of breath, the young mouse knows that if the patrol didn't reach the shelter and soon, rain might wash them off the outcropping and down to a painful death on the ground below. Worse, a well-placed lighting strike might obliterate them where they stood. Walmund turns and helps the others up the halberd as fast as he could. "We're almost there, I think!" He shouts over the storm. "The path up the slope doesn't look too treacherous, I say we make a run for it."

WALMUND'S ACTION: Attack - Pathfinder (3+1 for grassy gnoll's assist).

Attack versus Storm 4d : 1, 5, 5, 3; 2 successes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Innes

Innes scrambles up the halberd after Walmund. She plants the head of her axe into the ground and grips it with one hand, using the other to help Walmund drag the leadership behind them.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Finally the group scrambles to shelter. The storm throws one last great wave of water at the group, soaking them to the bone. Then there is relative silence. The cool dark of the small cave is pleasant. The smell is dry and crisp. Nothing lives here, or nothing has lived here for a long time. Cracks in the rock turn into tunnels, stretching into the darkness.

Storm throws a last attack, trhee successes. Calling it there, since this was wearing thin. Victory! You are safe. Yet minor compromise suggests handing out tired, angry, or hungry to one or two of you. Your call.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I'll suffer Tired as a compromise. Mill is much too collected to be angry.

Millicent

Sopping wet, the Guard Captain eyes the other three mice, their own drenched forms briefly illuminated by a flash of lightning. After the roll of thunder that follows, she speaks, "my advice would be to sit tight, and not be too curious about this place in the meantime."

Leaning her battered sword against a large stone, she reaches around for her cloak, starting to wring the water out the tattered mantle.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'll eat (hurr) the Hungry. Speaking of, do we have enough time to cook up a meal in here while we ride out the storm?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Red Roderick

Roderick tries to shake the soaking out of his fur, to no real benefit. "Well, we're certainly not going back out in that. It's late enough that we might have to stay overnight." He looks around. "Doesn't look like anyone's home, but I'd feel better checking on a few of those tunnels." He hefts his halbard to his shoulder. "Walmund, what do you say? Up for a bit of exploring?"

He adds quickly to the Guard Captain, "We won't stray out of sight, Millicent."

It would probably be wiser to sit tight like Millicent says, but that's much too dull for a Bold mouse like Roderick!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

grassy gnoll posted:

I'll eat (hurr) the Hungry. Speaking of, do we have enough time to cook up a meal in here while we ride out the storm?

It is your storygame, do what feels interesting or right

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Walmund

Walmund sits on the floor of the cave with his back against the wall. He pulls a kerchief out of his pack and attempts to wipe some of the mud out of his fur, a largely futile effort. He stifles a yawn, but perks up when he hears his mentor call his name. "Of course sir! It doesn't seem wise to bed down for the night without having a look around." Walmund glances around at his companions, noting their exhaustion and apparent hunger. "I can go see what's down those tunnels quickly and quietly, if you like."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Innes

While Roderick and the tenderpaw disappear down the cave throat, Innes sets to starting a small cook-fire, down away from the mouth of the cave. It's smoky and the wood is awful, but there's enough space about to keep everyone from getting anything worse than the occasional cough. The guardmouse keeps eyeballing Millicent, but goes about her prep in silence.

Rule one of the joy of cooking for Guardmice is that enough seasoning can get you through pretty much any meal. The pot gets filled with rain and left to boil, while she wanders back outside the cave to find some ingredients. A search turns up mostly junk - some green leafy things, a small succulent root, some flower petals - but it'll boil and it'll be filling, and that's the important part.

Sitting for a while in the pot with some Wolfpointe herbs, it's tolerable. Nobody's going to give this a culinary award any time soon, but it'll do for something cooked in a cave in the middle of a hellish storm.

There's enough for everybody here. Innes grimaces her way through the stew, then gets up and proffers her cup to the Guard Captain.

Using IC since Orokos doesn't function at work, for reasons unknown to me. 2 successes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Millicent

Millicent had remained silent when Roderick encouraged Walmund to explore. The oldfur wasn't going to question the patrol guard, she felt it was important for him to exercise his authority. She was here to observe, she kept telling herself, and it was imperative that she didn't meddle. After all, she wouldn't be around forever. The darkfur nodded as the tenderpaw and his mentor went on their way, returning her attention to the cave's entrance.

The Guard Captain couldn't even remember the last time she'd been caught in a storm like this, probably before the war. She'd experienced more fighting than she'd weathered storms, she grimly suspected. Innes, though younger, was probably thinking the same thing. The patrol guard had busied herself preparing a fire and a meal. The Guard Captain was a poor conversationalist, but offered Innes a tired, quiet thank you when she accepted the steaming cup. The warmth alone was balm enough for Millicent.

"Considering our circumstances, I suspected we would be resigned to seed-rations tonight," Millicent says, "your fire and soup is most welcome, Innes."

• Locked thread