Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looke

We start off with our crew

- Arnie, on the engines

- Nomates on the bridge

- Sid on the bridge

We engage our first enemy, take some pretty hard hits, knocking our med bay and bridge offline and causing sporadic fires throughout the ship. We eventually defeat the pirate ship and start to work on repairs.

Unfortunately Sid died in the line of duty trying to put fires out. RIP Sid.

After all repairs are made and we launch Sid's charred corpse out of the airlock we continue our voyage through space.

All is fine and dandy until we encounter an automated drone which locks straight onto us.

It attaches a hacking drone which disables our shields. After a couple of torpedoes to the control centre we destroy the drone and gain power back to the shields.

We decide to warp out of the current sector, not wanting to risk anymore casualties, not before hiring a new member Roper.

We warp into Engi controlled space and instantly get engaged by an enemy ship. They hit us pretty hard and we sustain a lot of damage to our O2 chamber, and engines, we also suffer some cracks in the hull, causing oxygen to leak at an alarming rate. Heat blasts from a nearby sun also create numerous fires inside the ship.

Unfortunately during the recovery operation, Nomates succumbs to severe burns and oxygen deprivation and passes away.

The damage proves to be too great as the oxygen keeps dropping. Arnie tries his hardest to put the fires out in the engine room and to try and fix it to restore a little energy, however the damage has been done and Arnie soon runs out of oxygen and suffocates to death.

The whole craft is now leaking oxygen, none of the rooms have a sufficient seal, the only thing keeping roper alive is the fact he managed to hide in the med bay which manages to keep him breathing.

A fire strikes in the med room, Roper manages to put it out but doing so damages himself severly, he's on the brink of death with only the med bay keeping him alive.

Moments later the nearby sun flares up again, costing Roper his life.

RIP the crew of the USS BYOB420

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

I just got this game a couple days ago. It's really cool.

A Time To Chill

Awesome! posted:

I just got this game a couple days ago. It's really cool.

Captain No-mates

:patriot: RIP us

Afro Doug

requesting to be put on the toilet in the game

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

byob space adventure

Looke

:drat:

Captain No-mates

Putty posted:

byob space adventure

owned

Frank Horrigan

by Ralp
:iceburn:

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Comeon guys we can do this!

verily carefree

Looke

Yobbers were not built to go into space

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

Putty posted:

byob space adventure

Disco_Bandit
keep going pls one byob crew has to survive

Looke

I'm playing the enterprise theme whilst mourning our loss

cuntman.net

Putty posted:

byob space adventure

goldmine

Flynn Taggart

Is it possible for a person to beat FTL? I bought it and I can't ever make if past the third world or so

Reset Button

Flynn Taggart posted:

Is it possible for a person to beat FTL? I bought it and I can't ever make if past the third world or so

i think so but i haven't either
hi five

Damp Star Baby

Staying Legend. CA Exempt DEATH

Flynn Taggart posted:

yeah once you do it the first time it gets easier, but it's still pretty tough. the last boss fight is crazy.

Damp Star Baby

I remember my ship blew up at the same time as the last boss ship, and I still won the game :D

Frank Horrigan

by Ralp

Flynn Taggart posted:

that's entirely up to the RNG. FTL is the most luck-based "roguelike" I've ever encountered.

cuntman.net

the rng is a factor but i can still win somewhat consistently on normal difficulty

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

Sleepy Owl posted:

the rng is a factor but i can still win somewhat consistently on normal difficulty

ya

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

Putty posted:

byob space adventure

lmbo

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Unless they've fixed things since I played, the first Engi ship is op as hell, especially if you can get a drone recovery arm.

Upgrade your engines.

Also, a really lame tactic is to find a battle where you are not in danger, such as one where the opponent only has two lasers and you have two shields, and just let the game run to build up your crew's experience. That extra 20% dodge chance makes a big difference.

Putty posted:

byob space adventure
5'd

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

I have this on iPad for street cred

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Another pro tactic is to turn off autofire and instead manually fire the weapons so that they all fire at the same time (except for beam weapons, which you fire immediately afterward). Bonus points if you manage to accrue a set of weapons with the same recharge time so this will happen automatically.

ulvir

Sleepy Owl posted:

tell me how, I get my poo poo wrecked just by entering the boss zone

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I love this game until I get sick of it.

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

ulvir posted:

tell me how, I get my poo poo wrecked just by entering the boss zone

keep your crew alive, all gold star crew compared to rookies is a huge dif

have enough crew, if you have stuff unmanned you are messing up

boarding is v powerful and gets you higher rewards than blowing poo poo up

engines should be p close to maxed and get as much power as posib all the time

target enemy guns before anything else to avoid taking damage, try to keep shields upgraded quickish

spend as much time in each sector as possible

flexibility is very important, if you are in sector 5 and still waiting for something you prob already lost

dont take stupid risks, fighting near suns or in asteroid fields is usually not worth it, sometimes killing the enemy is a worse answ than running away

tradjik

just do u a bvideo man i hate to read

Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW
honestly at least half of the winning strat to any rougelike is "avoid taking dmg as much as posib"

Machai

Putty posted:

byob space adventure

why has this thread not been goldmined? mods?

ulvir

Machai posted:

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

Putty posted:

byob space adventure

i still think about this post when i play ftl

Damp Star Baby

FTL is a very chill game and it's always worth a re-play! :)

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Machai posted:

• Locked thread