Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

With the 140/1 existing there is no real reason for the Flakpanzer 1c, the open fighting compartment offers no benefit, the gun works fine if you can avoid being shot though :q:

The FlaK 38 uses magazines of twice the size, has lots of ammo and reloads in like 2 seconds.

It also doesn't cost actual money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I've noticed the flak trucks tend to be more survivable than they really should be by virtue of what I'm guessing is shells passing straight through them. I've taken up to three shots with aphebc before a kill more than once.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Warbadger posted:

Well, all of them are either arcade to the extreme (Ace Combat) or really, really old (the Janes offerings). There just doesn't seem to be a middle ground with good world/performance/weapon modelling combined with an accessible interface like WT. Lot of people like tanks and planes, and they even want the tanks and planes they're playing to reflect reality to some degree. However, not a lot of people want to deal with the annoying parts like the steep learning curve to even drive the things (much less hit something with them) which is why games like Steel Beasts never manage to pull in many people while WoT and WT get large, stable playerbases.

DCS is free. You should try it.

It's really not that bad and you can learn to shoot succesful anti-radar missiles in under ten minutes with help of a goon.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
You can quickstart the planes in DCS with just 2 buttons if you want to. :f5:

This might upset a lot of spergs but DCS isn't nearly as realistic as people make it out to be. And with the new IL-2 game being on the Rise of Flight engine, the DCS:WWII kickstarter might be too little, too late. I mean, I'll still play the poo poo out of it... but that's because I like airplane games and I want to play them all.

But once the novelty of flicking the switches and manually starting the plane wears off, the iffy flight models and even worse damage models will wear on you. DCS is basically the ARMA sandbox of flight sims in that its only as fun as the effort you put in to make it interesting but at least the lack of gameplay balance lets you do whatever the gently caress you want.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another cool thing oaboutA is that it's actually fairly possible and useful to try and limp home in a heavily damage plane. Well, at least once you disable the instuctor kicking in near ground level, that poo poo has gotten me killed a few times before I found that switch :argh:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

DCS is free. You should try it.

It's really not that bad and you can learn to shoot succesful anti-radar missiles in under ten minutes with help of a goon.

If it takes ten minutes to learn how to shoot a missile (with help) it's probably not the kind of game I'd have a lot of fun in.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Warbadger posted:

If it takes ten minutes to learn how to shoot a missile (with help) it's probably not the kind of game I'd have a lot of fun in.

It's more like 10 minutes to even find the loving SAM unless the map is on easymode.

To shoot a missile, all you do is like press 7 for air-to-ground mode then press I/O to turn on your scanner/TV and you move a lil' targetting bleep bloop around your HUD and lock onto things then shoot the missile. It takes about as much effort as switching to sniper view in a tank and dialing in a shot. Except its really loving slow paced because DCS is for nerds.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Feindfeuer posted:

Did they radically improve the mouse-controlls in SB? I had my stick unplugged and was hopping into my Hs 129 after my first panther respawn.... and the controls were easy and intuitive. I remember them beeing horrible and a nightmare the last time I tried them shortly after open beta (planes) release. Flying with mouse in SB is almost as easy as flying with mouse in RB. Just a slightly different control sheme.

Still didn't manage to hit anything with the Bordkanone 7.5cm, but that's me beeing bad at hitting things while AAA is trying to murder me and shaking me around.

Yeah, didn't the mouse joystick mode in sim battle used to actually control the plane like a joystick? Now it auto-levels, I don't think it did that before. It also automatically does a well coordinated rudder and aileron input just by moving the mouse to the side. I'm not sure how easy it is to aim with but automatically doing coordinated inputs, automatically maintaining stable, level flight, and making it impossible to stall or spin or burn energy excessively by coming very close to a stall is definitely nothing like flying the plane with a joystick. It seems like with these changes the mouse should be at least even with the joystick even in sim, probably a advantage.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Just a recent game in the He-162. I'm the only Jet Fighter on my team, and they had 4 Meteors! So let's add them up:

Germany had 1 He-162, 3 FW-190s and 1 Arado, while the enemy team had 4 Meteors and a Tempest...

How the hell does this matchmaker work?? Does it have any logic behind it? Or just purposely to wreck Germany in 1.41?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Captain Beans posted:

Once unlocking the T34 L11 I've had nothing but game after game of blowout wins in SB, often 7-9 kills with zero deaths in 6v6 games.

Is the T34 L11 truly an unstoppable god tank? Eventually I'll have my Germany leveled up and be on the other end of the barrel, and need to know how to take them down.

Not really. You shoot at the drivers hatch and not only is it a weak spot armour wise but it seems like there is ammo right behind the driver because the thing explodes a lot.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Adrian Owlsley posted:

It seems like with these changes the mouse should be at least even with the joystick even in sim, probably a advantage.

Not really unless you have a TrackIR, at which point you likely already have a joystick.

I constantly use the mouse to look around and track targets. Without it, it's like you're stuck in tunnel vision guncam seeing only what your crosshairs see.

unwantedplatypus posted:

How the hell does this matchmaker work?? Does it have any logic behind it? Or just purposely to wreck Germany in 1.41?

Did you know that Meteors break easily in high speed barrel rolls? It takes a very competent energy fighter to kill Germans in a Meteor.

The matchmaker changes have been the best thing for Germany. They were seriously hardmode at endgame before the recent patches. Imagine fighting F8Fs, F9Fs, F-80s and sometimes even a Sabre at the same time and that being the standard expectation for your 109K/Ta-152.

Thief fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 31, 2014

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

I know you use a mouse and joystick style but that's pretty unusual. Most joystick users probably use the hatswitch to look around, I think holding c to look around with the mouse you already have in your hand for flying is probably a lot more effective than that. As for the flying itself I doubt there's anybody who could consistently use a joystick to outperform someone who can just throw their mouse all the way to the side to do an extremely sharp but energy efficient turn with 100% consistency even when flying at low speeds and unusual attitudes, especially since you can combine the keyboard and mouse joystick like in arcade and historical for even sharper turns. It's better than fly by wire. The only obstacle would be aim and I think that wouldn't be much harder than a real joystick with a bit of practice.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Thief posted:

Did you know that Meteors break easily in high speed barrel rolls? It takes a very competent energy fighter to kill Germans in a Meteor.

The matchmaker changes have been the best thing for Germany. They were seriously hardmode at endgame before the recent patches. Imagine fighting F8Fs, F9Fs, F-80s and sometimes even a Sabre at the same time and that being the standard expectation for your 109K/Ta-152.

Is it possible that to have a fair fight playing Germany in RB? My skill may be to blame, but I have not been in a battle where my team was absolutely decimated by the enemy. What can I do to get better and win in RB or is the bias so far skewed away from the German nation of planes?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Actually, I was testing the mouse joystick in a spitfire but when I grabbed my joystick to compare the turn radius it turns out the spitfire (mk 2 and I assume 1, maybe the others) has been downgraded to one of those flight models like the hellcat and typhoon that is just impossible to stall no matter how hard you pull the joystick, even with maximum rudder and aileron input, despite its very harsh stall characteristics in real life. I'd say I'm confused but this is about what I expect from war thunder flight models. In other planes it is possible to lose control with the mouse control joystick. Now would be a good time to get in on the fact that the hellcat, spitfire and typhoon currently all have arcade flight models in sim but I guess none of them are in combined arms. There are probably a lot of other planes with the same problem though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What simulation level was used?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Hellcats and Spitfires were famous for being easy to fly for inexperienced pilots. It's one of the things that makes them so beginner friendly but at the same time just as good for experienced players that have mastered the game. For real, Spitfires might be the overall best WWII planes in the game. And Hellcats might be the best plane for their rank since the FM was fixed. iirc the very first solo-mission in the campaign involves casually flying a Hellcat over Hawaii which seems appropriate.

IMO American and British planes are for the most part the easiest to fly because they are very stable and you rarely have to worry about fuel injection, durability and sometimes even countering that propeller torque. You have to seriously rip up a P-47 before it's unable to safely RTB and Typhoons are practically British P-47s.

I don't think the FM's are that bad, its just that these are very good planes. The most jarring thing about War Thunder sim flying is that slipping seems to be greatly reduced. In most of the other sims I've played, much of my time is spent drifting around like :rice:

unwantedplatypus posted:

Is it possible that to have a fair fight playing Germany in RB? My skill may be to blame, but I have not been in a battle where my team was absolutely decimated by the enemy. What can I do to get better and win in RB or is the bias so far skewed away from the German nation of planes?

No, because the Germans get the CL-13 Sabre which is the absolute best plane in the entire game :getin:

Really though, this game is very well balanced. Germany is actually hardest at Era I, dominates the middle Eras and pretty much everything is evened out across the board for high tier stuff.

One thing to keep in mind when running into :britain: is that they are very psyched to be fighting you. It's not because the balance is in their favor, but more because when you play Britain past Era III the only map you get into is loving Hokkaido fighting the Americans. So expect them to be on their 'A' game playing to the best of their abilities whenever they manage to escape that hellhole of B-17s and lovely Fail of the Month players still flying F8F Bearcats and Premium Spit IX's because they think those planes will win the game for them.

I doubt its your skill and more just bad luck. The only things that are genuinely OP in this game are the combination of teamwork and communication. We play Germany a lot so I would recommend hopping into Mumble and fly with us. As a nerd that plays the poo poo out this game and all nations inside-out, I personally think that Japan and Germany have the highest win potential if you're trying to gain an edge.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Thief posted:

No, because the Germans get the CL-13 Sabre which is the absolute best plane in the entire game :getin:

Really though, this game is very well balanced. Germany is actually hardest at Era I, dominates the middle Eras and pretty much everything is evened out across the board for high tier stuff.

One thing to keep in mind when running into :britain: is that they are very psyched to be fighting you. It's not because the balance is in their favor, but more because when you play Britain past Era III the only map you get into is loving Hokkaido fighting the Americans. So expect them to be on their 'A' game playing to the best of their abilities whenever they manage to escape that hellhole of B-17s and lovely Fail of the Month players still flying F8F Bearcats and Premium Spit IX's because they think those planes will win the game for them.

I doubt its your skill and more just bad luck. The only things that are genuinely OP in this game are the combination of teamwork and communication. We play Germany a lot so I would recommend hopping into Mumble and fly with us. As a nerd that plays the poo poo out this game and all nations inside-out, I personally think that Japan and Germany have the highest win potential if you're trying to gain an edge.

Does anybody actually feel like these matchups are fair?

I have got no clue how I am supposed to win these match-ups with the Focke-Wulf, unless they go head-on, are at a significant energy-disadvantage or simply lack situational awareness.

And even then in a head-on the A-1 isnt exactly good compared to the A-5. Together with low ammo isnt very ideal.

Having the same trouble with the A-5, only against different aircraft.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Longshot007 posted:

Having to play through Tier 3 as soviets is going to give me an aneurysm.

Use the SU-85. Play sim mode, don't have planes above BR 3.0 in your lineup, oneshot everything all day every day. Or use the newly buffed and now amazing T-34-57. Fewer one shots, but better mobility and a turret + artillery.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

There's a big difference between relatively easy to fly and literally impossible to stall. Neither of those planes even have leading edge slats and in the battle of britain 109s were often able to outturn inexperienced spitifire pilots despite the wing loading difference because of the 109's better stall characteristics. The 109s in game, however, are capable of stalling, of course, making them very inferior in stall characteristics to the current spitfire, hellcat and typhoon fm, despite the slats. I think any flight model that lets you do maximum inputs at nearly all speeds and attitudes ace-combat style isn't really worthy of the name simulator. Stalling is the #1 most important thing that defines the upper limit of turning in these planes, they're missing an extremely critical piece of the flight model.

Besides that flaps are a joke compared to what real life flaps do, and the sideslipping is very strangely implemented like you say. There's also tons of planes that are under or over performing in a whole ton of different ways, there's less feel than I would like for planes near stall and some planes have a ton of wobble that I'm not quite sure where it's coming from. But most of that stuff is fine for a light sim, only the unstallable planes are really critically broken.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Steel shortages are hitting the Red Army hard:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Its all down to your positioning. Come at them from 12 o'clock high, bait them into climbing up and wasting their energy then turning back onto them is a common strategy. Realistic Battle is all about knowing your plane and its capabilities, and knowing the enemy's plane and its capabilities and taking advantage of them.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Well, there's one reason for its existence: It doesn't cost any birdmoney :haw:
Well if you'd killed 400 tanks in SB you could have had one for free during that one event :haw:

Dezztroy posted:

The FlaK 38 uses magazines of twice the size, has lots of ammo and reloads in like 2 seconds.

It also doesn't cost actual money.
But the conversation was about tier 1 and both flak trucks are in tier 2??

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I can't remember who it was in Mumble that suggested this, but I've been upgrading all of my Russian tanks with Scoreboard Camo lately.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Does anybody actually feel like these matchups are fair?

I have got no clue how I am supposed to win these match-ups with the Focke-Wulf, unless they go head-on, are at a significant energy-disadvantage or simply lack situational awareness.

And even then in a head-on the A-1 isnt exactly good compared to the A-5. Together with low ammo isnt very ideal.

Having the same trouble with the A-5, only against different aircraft.

You should see how the other nations feel when Germany has a full team of loving Me-163s or a mix of Mig-15s and Sabres and completely steamrolls anyone that goes up against them.

Low level jets are easily countered unless flown by very competent players which is extremely rare in this free cartoon videogame. The majority of players that fly them are actually better off in prop planes. They often have low fuel and ammo loads compared to prop planes.

Also, you should not be fighting jets in the early 190s unless some jerk you're grouped with is dragging you into high tier games. 190s in general are overrated until the D-series - the D-12 in particular is pretty good. Otherwise, I recommend 109s. They are by far the best thing on the entire German tree at every level they're in unless you want to fly in the ways that the Premium La-5FN and P-47 excel at. Even then, the F-4 and G-2 variants are the best 109s for their battle ranking.

190s are all about positioning yourself in a way that allows you to attack at extreme speeds from untouchable altitudes. The most common mistake players make with this plane is that they try to fight with this plane without the absolute advantage. It shouldn't be unusual to have to climb to 6500+ meters before even engaging anyone unless nobody else bothered to climb.

WebDO posted:

I can't remember who it was in Mumble that suggested this, but I've been upgrading all of my Russian tanks with Scoreboard Camo lately.

haha this is a good idea

Thief fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 31, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Thief posted:

You should see how the other nations feel when Germany has a full team of loving Me-163s or a mix of Mig-15s and Sabres and completely steamrolls anyone that goes up against them.

Low level jets are easily countered unless flown by very competent players which is extremely rare in this free cartoon videogame. The majority of players that fly them are actually better off in prop planes. They often have low fuel and ammo loads compared to prop planes.

Also, you should not be fighting jets in the early 190s unless some jerk you're grouped with is dragging you into high tier games. 190s in general are overrated until the D-series - the D-12 in particular is pretty good. Otherwise, I recommend 109s. They are by far the best thing on the entire German tree at every level they're in unless you want to fly in the ways that the Premium La-5FN and P-47 excel at. Even then, the F-4 and G-2 variants are the best 109s for their battle ranking.

190s are all about positioning yourself in a way that allows you to attack at extreme speeds from untouchable altitudes. The most common mistake players make with this plane is that they try to fight with this plane without the absolute advantage. It shouldn't be unusual to have to climb to 6500+ meters before even engaging anyone unless nobody else bothered to climb.

MM trolls Germany a lot this patch. I've had matches like those, and the single He162 guy would hunt AI and die horribly... for us props to face F-80Cs and Meteors.

And when you decide to go lower BR, say FW190 D-9, you still meet Bearcats and the glorious B-17s...

There is barely any escape to always facing frustration, either always better plane opposition or the mad bomb rush.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

MM trolls Germany a lot this patch. I've had matches like those, and the single He162 guy would hunt AI and die horribly... for us props to face F-80Cs and Meteors.

And when you decide to go lower BR, say FW190 D-9, you still meet Bearcats and the glorious B-17s...

There is barely any escape to always facing frustration, either always better plane opposition or the mad bomb rush.

"I am not fighting P-40Es when I queue with my Dora, game is biased against The Fatherland."

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I don't know if you played much high tier before the patch but Germany was forced to fight post-war jets literally every single round at Era IV so things are most definitely better than they were. This included F9Fs and Sabres. And they couldn't simply turn fight them because there were also F8Fs buzzing around. It is the most unfair the matchmaker has ever been in this game since it was implemented and it was like that for about 6 months until they finally fixed it. Before that, there was NO matchmaker and it was basically DCS mode where Me163s could fight against biplanes.

The German planes that go up against B-17s often have 30mm cannons, which are the best gun in the game for this. Imagine trying to kill a B-17 in a Spitfire or Japanese Zero because that's what they have to deal with. And F8Fs are the most overrated planes in the entire game. They're really just not that great and they get poo poo on by the matchmaker.

Their planes really aren't the amazing auto-win planes they seem, at least not so much so that it negates the fact that nations like USA and Russia undoubtedly have the worst players in the game flooding their ques. I really feel bad for the legit P-51 players that have to put up with playing on those teams. Life is good on Axis players.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Well, I bought the Dora pack and the premium German P-47.

I now very much regret those decisions. I regret giving Gaijin *any* money for this game.

I will strongly advise others against giving Gaijin any money, going forward.

I know from talking with others that I am far from alone.

I will be sticking to flying lower tiers until Gaijin sorts out these issues that have been pointed out earlier in this thread. All my high-T3 and T4 German planes will remain in the hangar. Even though many of them still have all or most of their free repairs still unused.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lmao quit trolling this thread.

The German P-47 is the closest thing this game even has to a "pay-2-win" plane because it often gets an air start and you don't have to play on the same team as the players that flock to :911:

I agree about not giving Gaijin money though, their pricing is awful and the game is great from biplanes to jets so there's really no need to skip the grind unless you can afford to be impatient. That said, I've bought many premium planes. The unique ones are pretty fun even if they might suck. The lend-lease thing kind of sucks though and only homogenizes the gameplay.

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 31, 2014

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

I will be sticking to flying lower tiers until Gaijin sorts out these issues that have been pointed out earlier in this thread. All my high-T3 and T4 German planes will remain in the hangar. Even though many of them still have all or most of their free repairs still unused.

"Even though I have not flown the planes enough to get them shot even once ten times, they are all useless and over-tiered."

e: Repair/Rearm is an awful attempt at balancing planes (cannon Corsair, jets, etc.) that only demoralizes people who try to play realistic or simulator and get shot down. I would be fine accepting a 10-15% cut to lions earned if they just completely axed the repair/rearm costs.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 31, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Maybe I should start sourcing my quotes

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

Maybe I should start sourcing my quotes

"What's the deal with the Jews?" - Adolf Hitler
"My Fursona? do you even have to ask?" - Erwin Rommel, "The Desert Fox"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is using a joystick still a massive disadvantage outside full realism mode because of how touchy and terrible the controls are compared to the mouse?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is using a joystick still a massive disadvantage outside full realism mode because of how touchy and terrible the controls are compared to the mouse?

Arcade? Yes. Realistic? Sort of.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

"What's the deal with the Jews?" - Adolf Hitler
"My Fursona? do you even have to ask?" - Erwin Rommel, "The Desert Fox"

What next? Are you going to imply Rommel was not a brilliant anti-Nazi general?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

It really just depends on how good you are. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like the novelty of using a stick or playing in hardmode.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Absolutely. Having a virtual person fly to your pointed direction will always be more accurate than you flying the plane.

But, the game is also awesome with the mouse. Just play both ways!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

What next? Are you going to imply Rommel was not a brilliant anti-Nazi general?
Hitler didn't commit suicide. After faking his death, Rommel hid in Hitler's secret fallback bunker for over a year, waiting for the despot. Reportedly, the weapon he used to kill Hitler was the original Mkb42 prototype. Operation Valkyire was actually planned by Rommel to get Hitler paranoid enough to build a secret fallback bunker in the first place.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 31, 2014

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

WebDO posted:

This is loving awesome. Doing this right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Welp :jihad:

• Locked thread